Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Putty posted:

perhaps you should do your own research

lol like anything I learn on my own would be as good as having goons explain it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

Bloodborne or DS1. Those are my favs and Bloodborne is the only game that I went through the trouble of getting all the trophies. It's arguably easier to do than the souls games but the chalice dungeons make it pretty rough.

Bloodborne has best dlc. Better than DS2 and I love DS2. We'll see with DS3

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Pac Man

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
lol the guy who made this game must be a goon because now im at lowtax castle and theres stairs in it

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Jose posted:

i might have a go at a bloodborne dex build with the blades of mercy because gently caress learning to parry

I had a ton of fun doing this! Kill Eileen early on (it's easy if you get her to fall down near the rats). If you can live with yourself they're a fun ride through the whole game and if you have the DLC the ryuko will be a ton of fun on the same build. Or just go through on NG+.

Parrying sucks, but sometimes you're going to want to do it. Bloodborne is best with a giant weapon like the hunters axe or whirlygig or a really fast two handed mode (ryuko and twinblades). Never saw the point in a hunter weapon that let's you always have your gun out no matter what mode it's in (cane, cleaver, spear etc.)

Twinblades run is fun. Plus the transform animation never gets old. You know you're going be doing that flippy motion while slowly walking away from defeated foes when nobody is watching.

Here's my order (best to worst) :toot:
Dark Souls (best characters, best-interconnected environments with verticality, best encounters (level design), best story, best bosses, best DLC)
Bloodborne (2nd best characters, 2nd best story, best atmosphere, also HP LOVECRAFT + DARKSOULS beats everything but dark souls, it's in spot 2 for less than fun multiplayer and dumb covenants, 2nd best DLC)
Dark Souls 2 (Worst story, best covenants, Best multiplayer, flat characters (cept maybe Lucatei) worst DLC
Dark Souls 3 (Okay Story, 2nd best multiplayer, flat characters, too grey)
(2 and three are closely tied for me)
Demons Souls (Only beat it once, never wanted to beat it again, it feels like proto darksouls to me, flat characters, klunky level design. I don't know why people like it so much.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
People still play everquest so that's why

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Gatekeeper posted:

lol like anything I learn on my own would be as good as having goons explain it

A goon already has. This is from Orv's concise and well-written OP on the Dark Souls thread (the whole thing with screenshots is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503028)

"What's So Special About Dark Souls?

The difficulty is a major selling point for the Souls series, harkening back to the yesteryear of games that make you fight for that Game Complete screen. Monsters will frequently come from hidden or obscured positions to ambush and kill you. Bosses will one-shot an unprepared character. Despite the sometimes crushing difficulty of the games, with a few notable exceptions, every difficulty can be overcome with caution, common sense and a bit of memorization. Learning how Dark Souls likes to kill you is part of the experience, and the feeling of overcoming something in moments that once gave you trouble has garnered a large following."

I recomend you read the whole thing (the op not the thread) :feelsgood:

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 4, 2016

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

BBQ Dave posted:

and a bit of memorization.

read: a lot of restarting

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Gatekeeper posted:

How so? Be a wikipedia for me friendo. Be my clarissa and explain it all

It's hard to explain. I think it's because the games mechanics actually fit into the context of the game world.

E: and those mechanics are insanely tight.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Vargs posted:

ds2 is the most replayable imo, and has the most content. i didn't like it as much at first but it has grown to be my favorite. meanwhile i have no desire to ever touch ds3 again after 2 playthroughs

try dragon's dogma: dark arisen too if you haven't. it's not completely directly comparable, but it definitely falls within the "third person fantasy action rpg with great combat that does not hold your hand at all" sort of wheelhouse.

the sorcerer spells in dragons dogma are the msot satisfying in any game i've played but its all about the magick archer and setting yourself on fire then jumping onto things to stab them in the head

i did all the chalice dungeons up to the final boss in bloodborne then got a new game and stopped playing and never beat her lol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BBQ Dave posted:

Demons Souls (Only beat it once, never wanted to beat it again, it feels like proto darksouls to me, flat characters, klunky level design. I don't know why people like it so much.

Best combat, best levels, best atmosphere, 5-3 is one of the only great moments in game storytelling.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

demon souls was cool as a magic character because you get a spell early on that stops 90% of physical damage from a boss soul so you just cast that and run around hitting things wiht the free falchion that regens mp :thumbsup:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

think i'll replay dark souls. any recommendations on builds for beating it? first time i used the iaito and a shield and then the zweihander and a greatshield and feeling a no shield run

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Op i thought bloodborne looked fun and good. It was a slowbeef lp and he beat the game so we know it can't have been too hard.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
play madden

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

does bloodborne only allow a single save i can't remember and don't want to delete my current one or finish it off atm

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

does bloodborne only allow a single save i can't remember and don't want to delete my current one or finish it off atm

No you can have a bunch of live characters just like Dork Souls.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Jose posted:

think i'll replay dark souls. any recommendations on builds for beating it? first time i used the iaito and a shield and then the zweihander and a greatshield and feeling a no shield run

Fun build:

Archer man! Use primarily bows and whips. Level up strength and dex with slight favour to dex. Try to use bows as mmuch as possible - the leo and hawk rings will aid you a lot. You'll be surprised how crazily high your damage output can be.

Alternatively:

True Artorias build

This basically means you have a little of everything. The true Artorias sword scales with strength, dex, int and faith. Play as this dude without a shield just two-handing the sword. You will do crazy damage but also be quite vulnerable because you have to spread stats out so much

both these builds are quite unique and fun

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

5-3 is one of the only great moments in game storytelling.

I would like to know why you think this. All I remember about 5-3 is killing that knight and then the lady dies. I guess she was trying to help the monsters/people down there. I guess it's like a bit of a twilight zone moment like oh no I'M THE BAD GUY!

Really, I wanna know more! School me up.

:shrug:

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Jose posted:

Bloodborne allows many saves.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Fromsoft games are really awesome and fun to play but I also think that they have some of the best storytelling out there. They tell stories in ways on interactive media can which is cool, but they also tell loving weird crazy stories making it even better. Bloodborne is probably coolest in this regard I think

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

Garg halberd is the best no shield weapon for pvm, you can kill the first garg and then bone out until you get it, it drop in like 1/4 garg kills

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Garg halberd is the best no shield weapon for pvm, you can kill the first garg and then bone out until you get it, it drop in like 1/4 garg kills

noted. thinking of like magic left hand weapon right hand but idk how good it is in dark souls

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BBQ Dave posted:

I would like to know why you think this. All I remember about 5-3 is killing that knight and then the lady dies. I guess she was trying to help the monsters/people down there. I guess it's like a bit of a twilight zone moment like oh no I'M THE BAD GUY!

Really, I wanna know more! School me up.

:shrug:

You basically covered it but the important thing is that that story is told entirely through gameplay. Games usually use little movies or text to try to inject story and the actual game you play has nothing to do with it. 5-3 the game is the story despite you not really playing a character and despite you knowing almost nothing (potentially actually nothing if you weren't talking to people and reading items a lot) about the knight or the lady going into it.

Games are not art because they don't say anything substantial on their own -- it's usually like if you were working in a car repair place and then saw a movie and then went back into the car repair place and pretended like the plot of the movie was actually the story of the car repair place. In 5-3 the story is the decision to kill and that's also the game you play. Almost never happens that way.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 4, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

noted. thinking of like magic left hand weapon right hand but idk how good it is in dark souls

If you ever* use magic in a souls game you're a baby bitch

Also no bows except to pull

*You can use it if you're farming

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you ever* use magic in a souls game you're a baby bitch

Also no bows except to pull

*You can use it if you're farming

in DS2 hexes were legit the best way to play. I will give you in DS1 magic was totally useless and in 3 it's useless in pvp

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what situation other than pulling would you ever bother wih a bow

magic was incredibly broken in DS2 before patches. its how i played my first run and i had 50/50 faith/int with lightning spear and 2 soul geysers and bosses got beaten near instantly

i'm just thinking utility spells/miracles/pyromancies to go with a big heavy weapon

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

If you wear the leo ring and headshot an enemy with a +10 bow while they're attacking, you will one shot most every enemy in the game.

It's a fun and challenging way to play. The first Dark Souls really shines in the diversity and kookiness of fun viable builds to try

EDIT: if you do it with a greatbow pretty sure you can one shot kalameet even

EDIT 2: if you have a chaos bow and humanity then it would do even more damage :/

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 4, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Calico Heart posted:

in DS2 hexes were legit the best way to play. I will give you in DS1 magic was totally useless and in 3 it's useless in pvp

"The best way to play" meaning overpowered gay bullshit

Souls games are designed around the melee experience. Using ranged attacks as a primary way of dealing damage is just cheating yourself of the actual game. If the enemy ai could deal with magic as well as players do that would be one thing, but using magic heavily against an ai that can't deal with is basically just an abstraction on exploiting pathing errors to get by a hard boss, except as a whole game. If you hexed or lightning speared (pre patch) your way through DS2 you basically didn't even play the game.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

what situation other than pulling would you ever bother wih a bow

magic was incredibly broken in DS2 before patches. its how i played my first run and i had 50/50 faith/int with lightning spear and 2 soul geysers and bosses got beaten near instantly

i'm just thinking utility spells/miracles/pyromancies to go with a big heavy weapon

People stand outside of aggro range and kill enemies with four or so arrows while the enemy slowly plods toward them, over and over, for the entire game.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

"The best way to play" meaning overpowered gay bullshit

Souls games are designed around the melee experience. Using ranged attacks as a primary way of dealing damage is just cheating yourself of the actual game. If the enemy ai could deal with magic as well as players do that would be one thing, but using magic heavily against an ai that can't deal with is basically just an abstraction on exploiting pathing errors to get by a hard boss, except as a whole game. If you hexed or lightning speared (pre patch) your way through DS2 you basically didn't even play the game.

Not even a real argument because you can infuse a weapon with dark and have melee on top of hexing lol

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 4, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

People stand outside of aggro range and kill enemies with four or so arrows while the enemy slowly plods toward them, over and over, for the entire game.

thats boring as poo poo. bloodborne got me over using a shield and i'll never go back

i completed DS1 and 2 first time not realising dodging made you invincible briefly and thought it was purely ot avoid the attack lol

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

only if you're playing like a pussy :shrug:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Sheep-Goats posted:

having a ranged weapon to lure out foes in DS3 pretty much killed the difficulty but in a sense it was the reward to careful planning which prevents 100% of deaths in souls

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Calico Heart posted:

Not even a real argument because you can infuse a weapon with dark and have melee on top of hexing lol

Your say that but we know you just spammed spells like a big poof

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tfw when you finally get over your caution in your first souls game and just go for it instead of worrying about losing souls

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Putty posted:

having a ranged weapon to lure out foes in DS3 pretty much killed the difficulty but in a sense it was the reward to careful planning which prevents 100% of deaths in souls

There are some spots where you basically have to pull with a ranged weapon in every souls game, that's fine. If you are actually killing guys with ranged attacks as a strategy through you're a wuss.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i beat defiled amygdala with ranged attacks and i'm not ashamed to admit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponis man
Sep 4, 2016

by Smythe
wow

• Locked thread