Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Sit down restaurants won't drive up to a jobsite to feed laborers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Never been to TJ Oyster bar, gonna check it out. Haven't wandered around Chulajuana since I was a kid. Please forgive my ignorance.

7.5% sounds right for SD, I don't recall ever paying more, and drat right to whoever says that Apple is cheating the state out of millions. We also got recreational weed coming up on the ballot this fall.

gently caress yeah, keep San Diego awesome.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

those are still the best ones. check in industrial districts during lunch

food trucks are fine but they're usually just as expensive as a sit down restaurant, so why not just go eat somewhere where you can sit down and have a beer with your meal?

there's one that stops p. regularly in front of a weld shop/machine shop/junkyard in Carson that's p. good. near the corner of 213th and Main. They don't speak to much english tho so be ready to habla espaņol or point'n'grunt.

e: a few blocks away there's a dive bar that's only sign just says "BAR". every time I drive past I see a different pregnant woman smoking outside.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Oh yeah. I also l love that uptight liberal Californians have taken over this thread with talk about our excellent university system, our amazing food, and our beautiful beaches.

All glory to the bear. Sixth largest economy in the world.
THE WORLD

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Universities are overpriced. Food is overpriced until you find the right places. Beaches are filled with idiots until October.

CALIFORNIA IS BAD AND YOU WILL NOT ENJOY IT. Please stay in Pennsylvania, Florida and other parts of the midwest.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I drank beer on the beach today cause my local beach unbanned it after Labor Day when all the loving kooks leave, summer here ends in mid-November anyways.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 11, 2016

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Robnoxious posted:

Jerry Brown is gonna die in office before we can get rid of his rear end isn't he?

California politics is so completely one-sided it isn't even a fair representation anymore.

I, for one, look forward to 18+ years of a Gavin Newsome Overlord when Jerry finally kicks.

And we still will only have a bullet train from Coalinga to Chowchilla to show for it.

Money well spent, folks.

Hmm you make yourself sound like an authority on California but you don't even know about loving term limits lmao.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Solvent posted:

Oh yeah. I also l love that uptight liberal Californians have taken over this thread with talk about our excellent university system, our amazing food, and our beautiful beaches.

All glory to the bear. Sixth largest economy in the world.
THE WORLD

I think I'm going to take back my avatar from you. loving the poor has become a time honored California tradition after all. Long live Prop 13 :bernin:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Robnoxious posted:

Jerry Brown is gonna die in office before we can get rid of his rear end isn't he?

California politics is so completely one-sided it isn't even a fair representation anymore.

I, for one, look forward to 18+ years of a Gavin Newsome Overlord when Jerry finally kicks.

And we still will only have a bullet train from Coalinga to Chowchilla to show for it.

Money well spent, folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA_zY6tqQw

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

fits my needs posted:

I think I'm going to take back my avatar from you. loving the poor has become a time honored California tradition after all. Long live Prop 13 :bernin:

American tradition, not just Californian.
Sorta like the way your beloved Gavin did with the people on foodstamps in San Fransisco. I knew you'd show up to fanboi as soon as someone mentioned him.

I liked your avatar that said you were a captain of industry who accepts charity in the form of steam games. Fits better than this psychedelic headache.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Well prepared lengua is delicious but its like 70% fat

Hah, fair enough. I've been eating lengua for 15+ years and always thought it had kind of a lean mouth feel.

e: poorly prepared lengua is loving terrible. After getting burned a few times, I only buy lengua at Michoacan now. It's too hit or miss at other places.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 12, 2016

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

The real burning question is what is your favorite food truck?
Because that's all that really matters.

There's 2 trucks parked in a body shop at the 101 exit on western between santa monica and sunset that are open real late and are p drat deece.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
I've lived near San Diego since birth and honestly the only people I can stand are those who are also looking to make an eventual exit. Especially in my particular town, fairweather "liberalism" and NIMBYism reign supreme. I do submit that I could see how this area might appeal to olds who have given up but earn enough to continue on as a form of capitalistic life-support, but as a 20-something it's rear end.

Pros:
Mexican food (there is nowhere better for it in the US)
Good breweries, too bad about the IPA obsession though

Cons:
The people (and too many of them)
The traffic
Too warm, not enough rain
Cost of living
The only hobby anyone around here over 30 seems to have is drunk driving
You'll basically only find any semblance of cultural awareness in the schools, where the sparse youngs congregate
The beach loving sucks anyways

Caveat: I think it's common enough to come to resent what you grew up with, ergo why the rest of the country seems like it's trying to pack in here.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

its so fukken weird how much Californias care about food trucks - or at least how much they think the rest of the world cares about their food trucks.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Prude posted:

I've lived near San Diego since birth and honestly the only people I can stand are those who are also looking to make an eventual exit. Especially in my particular town, fairweather "liberalism" and NIMBYism reign supreme. I do submit that I could see how this area might appeal to olds who have given up but earn enough to continue on as a form of capitalistic life-support, but as a 20-something it's rear end.

Pros:
Mexican food (there is nowhere better for it in the US)
Good breweries, too bad about the IPA obsession though

Cons:
The people (and too many of them)
The traffic
Too warm, not enough rain
Cost of living
The only hobby anyone around here over 30 seems to have is drunk driving
You'll basically only find any semblance of cultural awareness in the schools, where the sparse youngs congregate
The beach loving sucks anyways

Caveat: I think it's common enough to come to resent what you grew up with, ergo why the rest of the country seems like it's trying to pack in here.

Yeah, san diego, the most fit city on either coast, has no hobbies that anybody enjoys partaking in.

Go outside you loving loser.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they're some of the good white people who aren't afraid to eat at food trucks, and they want everyone to know it

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Yeah, san diego, the most fit city on either coast, has no hobbies that anybody enjoys partaking in.

Go outside you loving loser.

Also, FYI San Diego has trained all of it's cops to "spot drunk driving", meaning that the cops will climb right up a person's rear end if they miss a gear while shifting, or dont respond within 3 seconds to a red light.

The traffic is also worse in LA, and that guy has obviously never been to Barrio Logan to visit Chicano park.

Must say though, it's refreshing to hear a claim that San Diego lacks culture from a guy with an anime avatar.

Jesus, seriously, that's purty prurty prisoner. You'd think someone representing the gayest character from the currently most popular anime would have been to Hillcrest. They got all the culture you could ask for over at Lips and The Brass Rail dude.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

radiatinglines posted:

they're some of the good white people who aren't afraid to eat at food trucks, and they want everyone to know it

I'm not white enough for white people, and not brown enough to be considered anything else. Chichano culture is well represented here, and your blanket statement is casually racist.

If that's not a joke, you're not from San Diego. People of all races love good mexican food, and I eat ceveche from a food truck all the time. It's awesome.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Solvent posted:

I'm not white enough for white people, and not brown enough to be considered anything else. Chichano culture is well represented here, and your blanket statement is casually racist.

If that's not a joke, you're not from San Diego. People of all races love good mexican food, and I eat ceveche from a food truck all the time. It's awesome.

I know people of all races love Mexican food, that's my point. I'm offering a reason why anyone would brag about how many food trucks are in California, because nobody gives a poo poo

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

radiatinglines posted:

I know people of all races love Mexican food, that's my point. I'm offering a reason why anyone would brag about how many food trucks are in California, because nobody gives a poo poo

Point taken, but I disagree about that being the only reason. It's closer to a hipster-esque statement about little eateries being more genuine by virtue of their smallness alone. I mean, they do have more to lose by making someone sick, or not being delicious and inexpensive, so maybe that is sorta something to brag about after all.

I <3 Mariscos food trucks, and if they were in your city, you probably would too.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Solvent posted:

Point taken, but I disagree about that being the only reason. It's closer to a hipster-esque statement about little eateries being more genuine by virtue of their smallness alone. I mean, they do have more to lose by making someone sick, or not being delicious and inexpensive, so maybe that is sorta something to brag about after all.

I <3 Mariscos food trucks, and if they were in your city, you probably would too.

bitch I got mariscos

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Solvent posted:

Jesus, seriously, that's purty prurty prisoner. You'd think someone representing the gayest character from the currently most popular anime would have been to Hillcrest. They got all the culture you could ask for over at Lips and The Brass Rail dude.

I mean, I haven't taken any dicks (I guess it's never too late to start) but Hillcrest IS my favorite part of the city, followed by North/South Park.

I guess perhaps read my post as more of a complaint about north county. I've lived in Encinitas most of the time (but also: Camp Pendleton, San Marcos, Vista, and Houston briefly) and while there may be some fun areas within city limits, I find north county incredibly boring and traffic is bad enough that I don't bother going towards the city as often as I'd like. If I could justify a move downtown apropos of nothing, I might as well try a different state.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
If you're eating ceviche (or any mexican food, really) out of food trucks instead of going somewhere like North Gate to buy it in bulk you're probably doing it wrong.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
North County is not representative of the city as you point out very well. Normal Heights is pretty representative of that North/South Park culture as well, check out Adams Ave. That music festival is the biggest free outdoor of its type last I heard.

I'm really sorry you have this mistaken impression from the area you live in. There used to be a really good Rocky Horror scene in Encinitas, but that was a long time ago, so I dunno.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

natetimm posted:

If you're eating ceviche (or any mexican food, really) out of food trucks instead of going somewhere like North Gate to buy it in bulk you're probably doing it wrong.

I'm terrible at making things to eat that aren't in a can, or are cooked in a microwave.

My old acquaintance Kaliman (yes that is what we call him) used to make it for all of us when we'd buy it and have a case of Tecate along with our usual Sierra Nevada Torpedoes, and Lagunitas Lill' Sumthins (lighter on the hops).
Those days are over though, and foodtrucks are all I have for now :smith:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
had a pastor burrito for lunch

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Smythe posted:

had a pastor burrito for lunch

fuckin nice

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Solvent posted:

Lol if your food trucks have brand names.

If a food truck isn't run as a front for a meth dealer, than it ain't authentic.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

are y'all saying Mexicans can't come here and open up a nice restaurant with ac and menus and poo poo without selling out on the authenticity of the food? idk seems racist in some way or something to me :smug:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

lifehack for californians traveling out of state or even abroad: all decent cities have a ton of foreign food cooked ad-hoc by men in wifebeaters.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

radiatinglines posted:

are y'all saying Mexicans can't come here and open up a nice restaurant with ac and menus and poo poo without selling out on the authenticity of the food? idk seems racist in some way or something to me :smug:

My great grandmother used to say that she didn't cross the border, the border crossed her.
Her ranch in Otay was cut in half apparently. This whole country is p racist, so I guess we're all in good company.

I was saying that the overhead of sitdown places prices out all the people who ARE poor, and creates a bland menu that changes with the new customer base.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Solvent posted:

American tradition, not just Californian.
Sorta like the way your beloved Gavin did with the people on foodstamps in San Fransisco. I knew you'd show up to fanboi as soon as someone mentioned him.

I liked your avatar that said you were a captain of industry who accepts charity in the form of steam games. Fits better than this psychedelic headache.

Gavin and Kamal Harris are going to bring in a new age of neoliberal assfuckery we haven't seen for a few years, it's gonna be great. Have you interacted with some of the homeless in SF? Like it's gotten pretty bad with dudes shooting up heroin on the stairs that go in and out of BART. It's not a bad thing to have some motivation and some skin in the game.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I can tell you California Mexicans are inferior to Texas Mexicans, hope that helps OP

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

opus111 posted:

its so fukken weird how much Californias care about food trucks - or at least how much they think the rest of the world cares about their food trucks.

Back when I still lived in Maryland, I used to regularly attend large-ish scale Food Truck gatherings there with friends. The events were always pretty packed too.

I think the only people who aren't in to food trucks are people who live in rural areas where there aren't any.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

generative grammer posted:

behind all the beards and hawaii shirts and soft rock and yoga and new age crystals there's smug contempt towards humankind

What's wrong with a smug contempt for humankind?

Have you met humankind?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

I can tell you California Mexicans are inferior to Texas Mexicans, hope that helps OP

I think everyone who lives in Texas feels more Mexican. Since Texas is a shithole as well.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

fits my needs posted:

Gavin and Kamal Harris are going to bring in a new age of neoliberal assfuckery we haven't seen for a few years, it's gonna be great. Have you interacted with some of the homeless in SF? Like it's gotten pretty bad with dudes shooting up heroin on the stairs that go in and out of BART. It's not a bad thing to have some motivation and some skin in the game.

Dude, stop.
You know very well I WAS homeless back when I lived in San Francisco.
This is that same shitler attitude you used to drop hot turds of in the Bernie thread.
People shot up all over back then too. That pond in Golden Gate park isn't called hepatitis pond for noting, and if you shared you opinions with the residents of the park, you'd likely get to go swimming in it.

If what you're saying is true, nothing has changed, and neoliberal assfuckery is just gonna sweep people out of the gentrified areas, and crowd jails. That's what your favorite people do, they ignore the problems of the poor, and cater to techbros. San Diego is pretty bad about the way it deals with the homeless population too, and the citizens don't tend to be much better. You know what San Diego has in common with New York? At least one loving psycho who lights homeless people on fire.

I get it, you're someone who thinks they're better than those sub humans you see on the BART.
Congratulations, your opinions are totally indicative of this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

those are still the best ones. check in industrial districts during lunch

food trucks are fine but they're usually just as expensive as a sit down restaurant, so why not just go eat somewhere where you can sit down and have a beer with your meal?

I like how white people ruined the concept of food trucks and street food.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Solvent posted:

Dude, stop.
You know very well I WAS homeless back when I lived in San Francisco.
This is that same shitler attitude you used to drop hot turds of in the Bernie thread.
People shot up all over back then too. That pond in Golden Gate park isn't called hepatitis pond for noting, and if you shared you opinions with the residents of the park, you'd likely get to go swimming in it.

If what you're saying is true, nothing has changed, and neoliberal assfuckery is just gonna sweep people out of the gentrified areas, and crowd jails. That's what your favorite people do, they ignore the problems of the poor, and cater to techbros. San Diego is pretty bad about the way it deals with the homeless population too, and the citizens don't tend to be much better. You know what San Diego has in common with New York? At least one loving psycho who lights homeless people on fire.

I get it, you're someone who thinks they're better than those sub humans you see on the BART.
Congratulations, your opinions are totally indicative of this.

I don't think it's too much to ask for, from those actually helping pay for the tax revenue that maintains those parks to be able to enjoy them without being under threat of "taking a swim in hepatitis pond."

Plus didn't like 3 teen homeless/vagrants eventually get arrested for torturing some homeless guy that lived there and dumped his body in that pond? Heard something like that on the news. Who wants people like that in their vicinity?

I ride BART to and from work everyday so I don't think my fellow working tax payers are any worse or better than me. There are always those trying to ruin he day with their body order or "colorful antics" but so are the joys of riding public transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Solvent posted:

I'm terrible at making things to eat that aren't in a can, or are cooked in a microwave.

My old acquaintance Kaliman (yes that is what we call him) used to make it for all of us when we'd buy it and have a case of Tecate along with our usual Sierra Nevada Torpedoes, and Lagunitas Lill' Sumthins (lighter on the hops).
Those days are over though, and foodtrucks are all I have for now :smith:

North Gate market sells pre-made ceviche by the pound. Multiple different flavors.

• Locked thread