Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Don't base your opinion of somewhere on what a whiny New Yorker thinks about it.

Pro tip: people from New York City think everywhere else sucks, except like maybe London and Paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Californians suck and they keep moving to Portland making it suck by extension.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its cool to watch ppl have insane inferiority complex lol. lots of tiny little napoleons or w/e going nuts about kale or whatever. haha

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Most goons could probably benefit from kale, it'll fill up yer stomach with something other than multiple varieties of Mountain Dew

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Smythe posted:

its cool to watch ppl have insane inferiority complex lol. lots of tiny little napoleons or w/e going nuts about kale or whatever. haha

Don't hate on kale, it's by FAR the best green. Kale salads are loving delicious, and that has nothing to do with California. It's just good food.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Taima posted:

Don't hate on kale, it's by FAR the best green. Kale salads are loving delicious, and that has nothing to do with California. It's just good food.

oh word?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Smythe posted:

As someone who grew up and lived in OC/LA until very recently everything said in this thread is absolutely correct.

Nice weather, awful people.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Al Cowens posted:

As someone who grew up and lived in OC/LA until very recently everything said in this thread is absolutely correct.

Nice weather, awful people.

I don't think so. I think the people in LA are really cool.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Guy watching curb: is this a loving documentary? is this poo poo for real? *mommy swoops in the clean drool off chin, adjust helmet*

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I like people in general despite their perceived faults :)

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Smythe posted:

Guy watching curb: is this a loving documentary? is this poo poo for real?
That's me watching Portlandia. I can't even laugh at it I just make D: faces the whole time.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
Not one CA goon wants to touch my prop 13 post because they're scared

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The only people who do that irritating ultra liberal SJW thing are the rich people and the young'uns that technically 'have nothing', but know mommy and daddy can make it all go away.

Everybody else just goddamn works/commutes all the time like everywhere else and are just like people in other states; i.e. the city folk are moderately left wing and the rural people tend to be right wing racist hicks.

People from other states pour into the coastal areas where the jobs are, driving housing prices into the stratosphere and pissing everybody off, so natives move away and piss off people in Austin, Portland, Bend, Denver metro, Seattle, Reno and Coeur d'Alene , Idaho. It's the cycle of of gently caress YOU.

You guys are overthinking and over analyzing this.

dick wizard posted:

I'll bite, you're right.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 4, 2016

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

dick wizard posted:

I had to look it up. That was before our time. Perhaps you meant Prop 8? Yeah, that's shameful. A shameful state.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Hi I'm from Colorado and just want to say that I hope the sea rise is sudden and catastrophic.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

JnnyThndrs posted:

The only people who do that irritating ultra liberal SJW thing are the rich people and the young'uns that technically 'have nothing', but know mommy and daddy can make it all go away.

Everybody else just goddamn works/commutes all the time like everywhere else and are just like people in other states; i.e. the city folk are moderately left wing and the rural people tend to be right wing racist hicks.

People from other states pour into the coastal areas where the jobs are, driving housing prices into the stratosphere and pissing everybody off, so natives move away and piss off people in Austin, Portland, Bend, Denver metro, Seattle, Reno and Coeur d'Alene , Idaho. It's the cycle of of gently caress YOU.

You guys are overthinking and over analyzing this.

I'll bite, you're right.

Don't forget South Park! They're killing Mr. Hankey The Christmas Poop!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Smythe posted:

oh word?

Word. Word indeed, friend.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
here we go again with the sanctimonious poo poo

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
This characterizes a segment of LA's upper crust pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LdmBqJLYcU&t=55s

Here's SF

Here's Huntington Beach people pretending they're from Joisey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTuK7Br1jj8

Inland Empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShFz7oHlms&t=1121s

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Al Cowens posted:

I had to look it up. That was before our time. Perhaps you meant Prop 8? Yeah, that's shameful. A shameful state.

No, he means prop 13. Prop 13 made for a cool landed gentry and owns everyone else big time.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Real talk Prop 13 is way worse than Prop 8

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

the great deceiver posted:

there 100% are nazi skinhead types in the bay and all over california. if you are a techbro who never leaves the mission or the castro or the sunset i could see how you might not realize this

Cite your sources mate. Outside the Aryan Brotherhood in prisons (and when the native Californians get out they have to go somewhere right?) I haven't heard of it.

Show me some DOJ, Southern Poverty Law or news reports.

nigga crab pollock posted:

i went to california once it was really cool but the people i was with thought cali was the peak of civilization and missouri was some sort of third world shithole with no amenities and its like nah the streets are cleaner back home then they are here, its loving LA

Yep seen that; unsurprising, seen this view from white "liberals" mostly; Yep welcome to LA (WE LOVE IT).

Doc Block posted:

Don't base your opinion of somewhere on what a whiny New Yorker thinks about it.

Pro tip: people from New York City think everywhere else sucks, except like maybe London and Paris.

An arrogant New Yorker is by far the most annoying arrogant regionalist I've ever come across. Because they are loving loud and won't shut up.

Taima posted:

Kale is good for you iirc. I like spinach leaves and kale is more tasty imo. Just wash it a bunch so you don't get Hep A (rear end to mouth transmission).

JnnyThndrs posted:

Was watching Avengers Civil War with my buddies in SF in a non-Metreon movie theater. When we left the most inflated, short asian mid 20 year old you could imagine (with her unhealthily skinny white guy boy friend of course) was complaining that the movie "did not have enough women represented in the fight scenes" and was patriarchal. The attitude is moderately uncommon but loving annoying.

Fasdar posted:

Hi I'm from Colorado and just want to say that I hope the sea rise is sudden and catastrophic.

:same: You will get your wish. I think most of the buildings in Southern California are all earthquake retrofitted by now though. :shrug:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Helical Nightmares posted:

Cite your sources mate. Outside the Aryan Brotherhood in prisons (and when the native Californians get out they have to go somewhere right?) I haven't heard of it.

loving lmao if you're trying to get a job in silicon valley as a black person or non-passing hispanic

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

i wasnt gonna bother to respond but heres the first hit i got from google

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/14/white-supremacists-in-san-francisco_n_1011276.html

also there was a kkk rally in sacramento earlier this summer where like 6 people got stabbed. i've lived here my entire life you nerd, this area has problems just like any other area

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

:same: You will get your wish. I think most of the buildings in Southern California are all earthquake retrofitted by now though. :shrug:

Retrofitting used here as a term for what, gondoliers? Poseidon is going to sink your cities into the deep cold of the ocean and you're trusting the tech that got you in to this mess to save you? Ahhh, what a world.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Huntington Beach's got the American Third Position party whose official motto was the 14 words but with "white" replaced with "American"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lets look at it specifically.

quote:

Western Hammerskins

Menifee, California

Racist Skinheads

Neo Nazis are in San Bernardino, Paso Robles and Yucca Valley (which are inland a rural-ish area). And in Fresno (unsurprising).

*San Bernadino evidently is home to both Neo Nazis and Nation of Islam :laugh:

Bay area is NOT home to white power groups. Islamthreat is anti-islamic not white power.

:laugh: at Masjid al Islam in Oakland. It's a general hate group.

In short. Read your sources. Not a lot of skinhead activity in southern california. Several anti-islamic groups and publishers however.

LA is an exception. It has a lot of weirdness.

:lol: Chick Publications in Ontario California? Like the anti-Dungeons and Dragons Chick tracks people?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/14/white-supremacists-in-san-francisco_n_1011276.html

also there was a kkk rally in sacramento earlier this summer where like 6 people got stabbed. i've lived here my entire life you nerd, this area has problems just like any other area

Not bay area you nerd.

phasmid posted:

Retrofitting used here as a term for what, gondoliers? Poseidon is going to sink your cities into the deep cold of the ocean and you're trusting the tech that got you in to this mess to save you? Ahhh, what a world.

http://www.earthquakesafety.com/earthquake-retrofitting.html

The buildings will be fine. They will just be underwater.

proof of concept posted:

loving lmao if you're trying to get a job in silicon valley as a black person or non-passing hispanic

Forget a job, try housing. The landlords in the Bay area are doing borderline illegal poo poo (should be illegal) by raising rents to force out minorities. This poo poo is real.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

From the huff po

quote:

As part of Watson’s deal with prosecutors, he described a network of white supremacist groups making their home in famously tolerant San Francisco. Watson detailed three such groups comprising up to 200 individuals.

Ok. This is a good argument. Though based on one convict's word this bears looking into.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Not bay area you nerd.

did you click my link about the white power network in SF? also do you think there is some sort of anti-racist barrier on I-80 that keeps the skins from traveling west? sacramento is like an hour away from downtown sf

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

did you click my link about the white power network in SF? also do you think there is some sort of anti-racist barrier on I-80 that keeps the skins from traveling west? sacramento is like an hour away from downtown sf

See the post above you.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

like dude california is extremely racist just like anywhere else, even your precious liberal utopia of SF

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Taima posted:

Look I'll make it quick here. The coastal people in California think the rest of California is loving stupid.

They also think everyone else not in coastal CA or the coastal PNW are loving stupid.

We hate everybody. Go gently caress yourselves.

LMAO of Coastal Oregon and Washington being full of "liberals". Try really angry conservatives who just like to smoke/grow weed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

emoji posted:

Only the metropolitan areas though. It's fun to tell Californians their inland people are just as bad as flyover meth addict retards though, which is true, and they get really mad.

funny, california's inland people are the only ones i actually like

Taima posted:

i loathe kale, i will eat a pound of trash-tier iceberg lettuce before i eat another leaf of that sandpapery garbage. it has the most offensive and infernal texture of all leafy vegetables, including wilted ones

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

generative grammer posted:

behind all the beards and hawaii shirts and soft rock and yoga and new age crystals there's smug contempt towards humankind

a contempt for humankind is justified, the issue with valley people is they are entirely unaware they are actually more annoying and less useful than even the worst stereotype of an american, while still somehow preaching about how lovely people with regular, not annoying as gently caress accents and lives are

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I moved to southern California (Orange county) a little less than 3 years ago. I'm originally from Baltimore. I haven't managed to get up north of LA yet, so I can't speak for northern California, but there are two things that strike me as different about people in southern California as compared to anywhere else I've been.

1) They're really self-absorbed in a general sense. Not necessarily on a personal level, though some of them are that too, but maybe insular is a better word to define it. They all seem to act like the entire rest of the US doesn't exist. Maybe even like the rest of California doesn't exist. They live in a little bubble where it seems like they don't even notice anything outside of their general metropolitan area. I agree that East Coasters believe that the middle of the US doesn't matter, but southern Californians take it to a much more extreme level. If it isn't within 40 miles in any direction from where they live, they have no clue about it, and no interest in it.

I've run into a shocking amount of people who are native to Orange County who have never even been to LA. I'm not a fan of LA myself, but it's like right there, and there's sometimes cool stuff up there that I want to do or see, and it's it only a 45 minute drive from where I am (45 minutes on a good traffic day, 3 hours in rush hour traffic). Yet somehow I've met many adults who were born in Orange county who have literally never made the drive to the 2nd largest city the US, which is only about an hour away from them. It boggles my mind.

2) They treat their good friends weirdly. Where I'm from, you're really polite to people you don't know, or people you don't really like. When someone becomes a good friend, you tease them and make jokes about them. The closer the friendship, the more outrageous and rude you can get with the jokes, because if you're really close friends, it's clear that you don't really mean it. Out here, they don't do that. They don't even make the gentlest of teasing jokes to their friends. And times when Californians have witnessed me or my friends interacting with our East Coast friends, they look at us like we've suddenly grown three heads.

They're also extremely unfunny.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

like dude california is extremely racist just like anywhere else, even your precious liberal utopia of SF

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
AW GEE MY NEW KHAKI PANTS MAKE IT LOOK LIKE I HAVE A BONER!!! *is from California*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Jack2142 posted:

LMAO of Coastal Oregon and Washington being full of "liberals". Try really angry conservatives who just like to smoke/grow weed.

theyre more like colorado style libertarians than conservatives id say but bang on about angry weed farmers tho

LA is an awful garbage city but everyone i know there is pretty awesome and san fran is a pretty awesome city but everyone i know there is awful garbage californias weird

• Locked thread