Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

watch Tanaka-kun!

do this

or, alternative throwback answer: kamichu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Already enjoyed Tanaka-kun. What's the pitch for Kamichu?

it's a silly, cute SoL show about a shy girl who wakes up as a god/kami one day, but doesn't know what kind/of what, hijinks ensue

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone care to give me any recommendations for a good SoL to watch on the train to/from work? Preferably available on Crunchyroll. I just finished Non Non Biyori, gave Servant x Servant a try and didn't really dig it, and I've already watched and loved Flying Witch.

GJ-bu if you haven't seen that is also good SoL

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Depends on why I'm crying. I'm primarily looking for warm fuzzies.

Ooh. This might be a good one.

Edit: Not on Crunchy, which makes it more of a pain to watch on a Tablet. What's your take on GJ-bu/GJ Club? I assume those are the same show just translated differently.

Oh that's a shame, I thought it was up there :(

This is GJ-bu/GJ Club:

https://a.pomf.cat/snoacd.mp4

basically a show where a bunch of dorks sit in a club room and be silly

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Maybe Tonari no Seki-kun? Honestly you've covered most of the stuff I've seen on Crunchyroll already.

Yeah Tonari no Seki-kun is another solid contender, though it leans more toward gag than SoL.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Mikl posted:

z0glin, please place your fist upon your computer screen. I wish to brofist you through the internet for recommending Kamichu.

done

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I think it was hurt by the fact that it came out before the "chill&cute SoL" genre really caught on; I imagine it would be a bigger hit if it were made today.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

I just thought of another one. Sketchbook ~full colors~ may be up your alley.

Also a good one.

It occurs to me no one mentioned Hidamari Sketch, that's definitely worth a look if you've not seen it yet. Also GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Hidamari is Shaft/Shinbo, so its got that fancy direction they're famous for (especially in season 1 iirc). Relatively smaller, more focused cast. It also has several seasons.

Has Wideface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wreI_PBfhJI

Sketchbook is slower/more laid back, and has parts of some episodes devoted to the goings-on of the local stray cats. Relatively larger cast for this sort of show. Only one season iirc.

Has a Canadian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L7Qt7yMsqk

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

There hasn't been a new Hidamari show in a while, I hope they still plan on making those from time to time because IIRC the manga is still running and it might be my favorite thing Shaft has ever done.

From what i understand the manga's pace dropped for a while so there isn't as much stock as you might expect, plus yoshinoya-sensei's voice actress passed away last year :(. I would expect another season eventually, but it might take a while.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

What I really want to know is wtf happened to Hyakko

apparently the manga is on an indefinite hiatus, with no news since 2013 :(

Nate RFB posted:

Am I the only one who finds Yuyushki's manga to be kind of boring? Or at least a bit impenetrable? Seems to be a lot more wordplay humor than the anime. The anime is great tho.

I actually haven't read the yuyushiki manga, but I should probably give it a shot. It's like 50~100% more expensive per volume than a normal manga for some reason though :/

The Aiura sound manga(or whatever you call those?) is really great though, but will probably never get translated.

StandardVC10 posted:

Hidamari is great, but it's not on CR (and I'm not sure it's legally streaming anywhere, for that matter) which is what I thought Spiritus Nox was looking for.

Oh :(
CR is blocked here so it's not easy for me to find out what their catalog consists of.

z0glin Warchief fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 5, 2016

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Depressing Box posted:

Yeah. Over the course of the series he's gradually shifted/intensified from "dense and grumpy" to "sullen rear end in a top hat with violent tendencies".

To continue my unfortunate trend of sounding like a smug know-it-all lately: having just gone and read some of the English translations, Jun comes off as way less of an rear end in the Japanese. As an example, what was translated as "It'd be a problem if someone thinks we're going out" was more of a "I know you wouldn't want anyone to think you have a lovely boyfriend like me" (not exactly that, it's a little more ambiguous in the Japanese, but that's the nuance). It was supposed to be a "he has self-confidence issues and Tomo misunderstood what he was trying to say by homing in on that one word" kind of deal.

Also worth noting that the author put those "emphasis dots" on Jun's lines there in the original to make sure the audience realized what was going on:

darkgray posted:

The tone is different. Lots of words added, etc. Like the translator looked at the original and went "How can I make this funnier?" and wrote his own version instead.

Basically it's this. The translation seems to ignore the intended nuance of the dialogue a lot of the time, and it really detracts from the characterization imo.

To pull up another example I did a few months ago:

Their version:

My more straightforward translation:

The first two panels are fine in both, just differences in taste basically. But their translation of the thought bubble in the last panel, and arguably in the third panel, (and the title) is different on a fundamental level that changes the meaning of what's being said.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

This is gearing up toward a confession that's gonna be awkwardly interrupted and then they'll lose their courage and work their way back up to it over the course of a hundred chapters

That would be quite an unprecedented turn of events for a manga of this genre.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Did something happen to the tomochan guy, I noticed it hadn't updated in a few days and saw that it's now on hiatus for nearly two months. Or are they just taking a break?

Taking a break to do the volume extras and store bonuses for volume 4, which comes out late January apparently.

Though in checking twitter to find that out, I found this was one of the store bonuses for volume 3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

It was good until the author decided to drop lines every chapter about them hooking up then arbitrarily act like nothing happened.

The impression I get is that people tend to be more or less happy with the ending based on whether they read it all at once or were following it (and the discussion) as it came out.