Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

xthetenth posted:

The loudest and most extreme people on each side get disproportionate visibility, and their opponents only make it worse, because they naturally try to show how unreasonable their opponents are. It takes conscious effort to keep the less extreme viewpoints in mind, not misrepresent them as their more extreme cousins, and to understand that they're pretty popular.

The pox consuming DnD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Kingfish posted:

The pox consuming DnD

eh they'll reopen gbs eventually

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Popular Thug Drink posted:

eh they'll reopen gbs eventually

DnD will never be fixed until they start cracking down on posters like you :/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

Gotta silence your critics amirite!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Kingfish posted:

d&d isn't broken, it's just disliked by bad posters who can't stop themselves from posting here anyway. i acknowledge and affirm your masochism

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Trabisnikof posted:

Gotta silence your critics amirite!

:wink:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

Kingfish & falcon, the people you were quoting and responding to at the start of this discussion, were specifically objecting to "no-platforming" and similar attempts by students to deny conservative speakers the ability to speak, rather than register their objections or to convince the administration to withdraw an invitation. You have continued to complain that protesters were being denied the opportunity to convince people while the discussion was about disruptive behavior.

You're lying when you say Kingfish was only talking about no-platforming, because he's said multiple times that he's also against any kind of protest that ends up with the lecture not taking place.

quote:

Even if we assume for the purposes of this discussion that a lecture hall is not a public space, do you believe that protesters have the right to deny otherwise authorized and approved users the use of that space?

No, and I've never once said that I did.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I find it interesting that Secular Humanist and gobbagool have not commented on the ban being reversed for Maryam Namazie.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

You're lying when you say Kingfish was only talking about no-platforming, because he's said multiple times that he's also against any kind of protest that ends up with the lecture not taking place.

You ought to clarify when you use words like "against." What are you attributing to me here exactly?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

I find it interesting that Secular Humanist and gobbagool have not commented on the ban being reversed for Maryam Namazie.

well in gobbagol's case he probably hasn't googled her yet

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

You ought to clarify when you use words like "against." What are you attributing to me here exactly?

Your own words.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Right.. so I personally disagree with the protestors but am not against their right to freely protest in any way.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The Kingfish posted:

Right.. so I personally disagree with the protestors but am not against their right to freely protest in any way.

Only with the caveat that they should be ignored.

You never actually answered my question earlier about whether or not you think allowing people to vote but incinerating their votes immediately would be an insult to their enfranchisement because they're technically still allowed to physically engage in the act of voting, even if it is worthless in general principle.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

well in gobbagol's case he probably hasn't googled her yet

Lol. Yes I'm aware of the ban being lifted. How is that remotely relevant? Yes, the ban was lifted I believe because of salman loving rushdie swinging his dick around. It otherwise would likely not have been. And during her presentation people kept getting up and turning off the overhead and other insanely infantile things. Lots of Muslim students came up and apologized on their behalf after it was over, because they *wanted* to hear her speak. The conservative Muslims weren't havin any of that though, because Islamophobia.

Edit: Also I like how there is no acknowledgement that this behavior is a problem. It's just "yeah well, she got reinvited... so..."

Secular Humanist fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 22, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Kingfish posted:

You think they should protest, but that the administration should not be allowed to listen to them and act on their protests.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

WampaLord posted:

Busy making dinner for wife and kids. Still following though!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Secular Humanist posted:

Lol. Yes I'm aware of the ban being lifted. How is that remotely relevant? Yes, the ban was lifted I believe because of salman loving rushdie swinging his dick around. It otherwise would likely not have been. And during her presentation people kept getting up and turning off the overhead and other insanely infantile things. Lots of Muslim students came up and apologized on their behalf after it was over, because they *wanted* to hear her speak. The conservative Muslims weren't havin any of that though, because Islamophobia.

Edit: Also I like how there is no acknowledgement that this behavior is a problem. It's just "yeah well, she got reinvited... so..."

so you're mad that she was allowed to speak and people were mean to her in petty ways, and this is censorship how?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Secular Humanist posted:

They made a mistake and then corrected it, so I'm not sure why you're so upset about it?

You have to admit that it lessens your point about campuses being completely unreasonable in banning controversial speakers. It sounds like they were ultimately very reasonable.

Obviously those people turning off the projector were being dumb, but all you can do at that point is get security to get them to leave.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

so you're mad that she was allowed to speak and people were mean to her in petty ways, and this is censorship how?

No you god damned obtuse moron, I'm mad because the conservative, borderline Islamist Muslim student organization was able to bully their way into having her invitation rescinded by claiming they felt "victimized" by the "Islamophobia" she would foster on campus. Isalmophobia is a complete horseshit word because any criticism of Islam, even things like "women are treated like dirt" is considered "hatespeech" under it's insanely nebulous definition. The campus feminist society, in a shameless display of virtue signalling, went on a crusade "in solidarity" with the conservative Muslim council to get her disinvited. Do you honestly think they had any loving clue who she actually was and what she actually does? They literally just saw the word "Islamophobe", and the status quo of women's rights under Islam (almost) remained safely intact.

This situation has specific problems that make it unique, but it goes to show why you can't just assume every use of the word "racist" or "hatespeech" is justified.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"she should have been allowed to speak!"

*she was allowed to speak*

"the people who were speaking when she was speaking should not have been allowed to speak!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Secular Humanist posted:

No you god damned obtuse moron, I'm mad because the conservative, borderline Islamist Muslim student organization was able to bully their way into having her invitation rescinded by claiming they felt "victimized" by the "Islamophobia" she would foster on campus. Isalmophobia is a complete horseshit word because any criticism of Islam, even things like "women are treated like dirt" is considered "hatespeech" under it's insanely nebulous definition. The campus feminist society, in a shameless display of virtue signalling, went on a crusade "in solidarity" with the conservative Muslim council to get her disinvited. Do you honestly think they had any loving clue who she actually was and what she actually does? They literally just saw the word "Islamophobe", and the status quo of women's rights under Islam (almost) remained safely intact.

tell us more about Islamists bullying people and all the valid criticisms of Islam

it is interesting how everyone you disagree with is a conservative bully or a vacant, ignorant virtue signaller. that is very interesting *pretends to write on legal pad*

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 22, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

You think they should protest, but that the administration should not be allowed to listen to them and act on their protests.

No.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

"she should have been allowed to speak!"

*she was allowed to speak*

"the people who were speaking when she was speaking should not have been allowed to speak!"

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. No, not even close.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Only with the caveat that they should be ignored.

You never actually answered my question earlier about whether or not you think allowing people to vote but incinerating their votes immediately would be an insult to their enfranchisement because they're technically still allowed to physically engage in the act of voting, even if it is worthless in general principle.

Well are they a tiny, loud minority whose opinions are not actually reflective of the majority? Or are they voting for something that goes against the foundational principles of whatever organization or polity they're ostensibly members of? Dismissing unreasonable requests out of hand in these cases isn't a denial of anyone's enfranchisement, and the suggestion that the right to protest implies a corresponding right/duty for others to take your requests seriously is asinine. If you view free exchange and consideration of ideas as a foundational principle of higher education then dismissing requests for ideological censorship out of hand is no more "disenfranchising" than when a judge refuses to allow a town council the freedom to mandate religious indoctrination on first amendment grounds.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Secular Humanist posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. No, not even close.

yeah, it's close

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

WampaLord posted:

They made a mistake and then corrected it, so I'm not sure why you're so upset about it?

You have to admit that it lessens your point about campuses being completely unreasonable in banning controversial speakers. It sounds like they were ultimately very reasonable.

Obviously those people turning off the projector were being dumb, but all you can do at that point is get security to get them to leave.

Banning her in the first place wasn't reasonable, unless you agree that muslim women should just be seen and not heard

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gobbagool posted:

Banning her in the first place wasn't reasonable, unless you agree that muslim women should just be seen and not heard

look at mister "that muslim chick" chiding people for using people as convenient props over here

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

gobbagool posted:

Okay, but they unbanned her. You can't expect people to be perfect.

I'm not even going to touch the second part of that.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

look at mister "that muslim chick" chiding people for using people as convenient props over here

We'll never overcome his use of rhetorical judo!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They didn't actually ban her, by the way. They just revoked her invitation. Which was lovely. They had a moment of introspection and said 'Hey, that was kind of lovely', so they extended another invitation which she accepted and she got to speak.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Yes your Effectronica-lite persona is very edgy. We get it, you vape

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

gobbagool posted:

Yes your Effectronica-lite persona is very edgy. We get it, you vape

Did Effectronica kill your dog or something? God drat, dude.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

WampaLord posted:

Okay, but they unbanned her. You can't expect people to be perfect.

I'm not even going to touch the second part of that.

Why is this relevant? Lots of invited speakers who should have been unbanned or shouldn't have been banned in the first place are getting banned. That is, in fact, the topic of this thread or at least part of it I thought? Yes, she got reinvited, thank god. Because it would have been scandalously outrageous for her not to be under the circumstances. That it happened at all is still very relevant.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Secular Humanist posted:

Why is this relevant? Lots of invited speakers who should have been unbanned or shouldn't have been banned in the first place are getting banned. That is, in fact, the topic of this thread or at least part of it I thought? Yes, she got reinvited, thank god. Because it would have been scandalously outrageous for her not to be under the circumstances.

it's hard to use someone who was allowed to speak as an example of people not being allowed to speak. that dog just don't hunt, friend

"the roads are dangerous. you can tell because i got home safely today" see we call that a 'contradiction' where i come from

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

it's hard to use someone who was allowed to speak as an example of people not being allowed to speak. that dog just don't hunt, friend

"the roads are dangerous. you can tell because i got home safely today" see we call that a 'contradiction' where i come from

Did you even read anything I said? Do you have any concern at all that this type of thing could easily happen again to another Muslim reform speaker at some other university? Or should we just not ever discuss this incident again because she did, in fact, get reinvited!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Secular Humanist posted:

Did you even read anything I said? Do you have any concern at all that this type of thing could easily happen again to another Muslim reform speaker at some other university? Or should we just not ever discuss this incident again because she did, in fact, get reinvited!

i'm not really quaking in apocalyptic terror at the prospect of people having their invitations to speak rescinded and re-sent again. like that doesn't sound like a big deal, to me. maybe you can explain it to me?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Ddraig posted:

They didn't actually ban her, by the way. They just revoked her invitation. Which was lovely. They had a moment of introspection and said 'Hey, that was kind of lovely', so they extended another invitation which she accepted and she got to speak.

Which shows that they make snap judgements when banning people.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 22, 2016

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

"The roads are not dangerous. You can tell because after the road went out, a celebrity intervened and in conjunction with media attention shamed the local town council into fixing it. Thus proving their safety and the town council's excellent track record re: maintenance forever."

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

i'm not really quaking in apocalyptic terror at the prospect of people having their invitations to speak rescinded and re-sent again. like that doesn't sound like a big deal, to me. maybe you can explain it to me?

Hahaha jesus. Yep, again, I am aware that she was in fact reinvited in this particular case, because an incredibly famous ex-Muslim writer protested her disinvitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Secular Humanist posted:

Hahaha jesus. Yep, again, I am aware that she was in fact reinvited in this particular case, because an incredibly famous ex-Muslim writer protested her disinvitation.

That's not really responsive to the post you're quoting at all.

• Locked thread