Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I managed to spoil myself on something LU-related looking at an extremely generic Wikipedia entry about something wrestling-related and I'm really miffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

THAT SERIOUSLY WAS HONKY WHAT THE gently caress MAN THIS IS THE BEST SHOW

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Am I crazy or is Sexy just...bad? Like I hate getting on somebody but honestly.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
And y'all were trying to tell me Pentagon wasn't heel.

I dunno, I question that decision.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hate being That Guy but I really was not a fan of that episode. Maybe it's because I genuinely think Pentagon should be the Ace of LU and he's basically an afterthought, and it's not even an underdog story. He powered up and is still a loser rear end in a top hat in this booking.

Benne posted:

He's always been a loving heel

And if a guy gets that loving beloved and marketable you don't keep him that way. Sure, turn him antihero like, say, Austin, who was never a textbook face, but give fans reasons to cheer him instead of making him a dude who loses and is then an rear end in a top hat about it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

I mean, calling him an afterthought when he had the main event against Mysterio is a bit off. This is still the start of the season and the story they are starting with is "Pentagon needs to focus" and "he's made a bunch of enemies" which is following on all his character build over the last two seasons.

I guess but he's still a losing rear end in a top hat right now.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

The point is he's not going to learn until he hits another hurdle and gets humbled again. It's a sine wave that has the highs goes further up, not a direct uphill curve for Pentagon. Also, LU never truely starts until Aztec Warfare, so don't take one loss as, "they're ruining him," already.

Fair, I'm probably also more soured on it because of some poo poo I was spoiled on, which while not directly related, is...welp.

Does Killshot have a legit military background or is that a gimmick? I'd check Wikipedia, but...welp.

I just ended those both with "...welp." Huh.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm not there, but @paleycenter live tweeted the panel. Nothing too exciting from the sound of it, although they are showing next week's episode there tonight. As for the big news Vamp keeps alluding to, he said on his Facebook that he hopes he can announce it sometime this weekend. From the sound of it, it may some sort of side project though, not anything like a different distribution for LU. I wonder if he's doing something tangential with Rey Mysterio since El Rey signed Mysterio to that first look deal.

What a loving letdown. Come on, man.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cage and Texano are having a Best of Five series to determine who gets to become a vessel for a ancient Aztec god.

Lucha Underground owns so hard.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

yeah twice they've accidentally dropped a commercial in at random

I don't think it was random. It happened every vignette, and if it persists I'm going to be supremely pissed off.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't like it but I'm happy for the people who did.

Also this might be blasphemy but I think Mack using the Stunner is stupid.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

It's dumb that he does the double-bird-flip beforehand because it's reminiscent of Stone Cold by a guy whose character is nothing like Stone Cold, but just the fact that he uses the Stunner itself doesn't bother me. Every other finisher gets reused, why not that one?

For the exact reason you stated. He does the whole bit. Admittedly not as much now.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

I think Sexy's loss might have gone down better if we haven't already had a long-rear end parade of heel champions. Mil ruled over the belt half a season, Matanza ruled it for almost a full year, and presumably Johnny will hold it a long time with the help of his buddies.

We haven't had a strong babyface champ since Puma way back in Season 1, while Fenix and Sexy got one-week cups of coffee. I didn't mind tonight's result, but I can see why it rubs people the wrong way.

I'm sort of torn. I don't know about Sexy being champ to begin with, but by god, if you're gonna do it, loving do it and commit. This makes the people smugly throwing shade at WWE look really dumb, btw.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

Ehh...if Ivelisse wins the title when she's healthy, nobody's going to complain about not committing. They've already breached that line, if only for a week.

I'm of the mind that having a woman in a top position, whether wrestling or a leading role or politics, doesn't need to be "hey everyone look how progressive we are!", but rather "The top spot is occupied by a great talent who happens to be a woman". It seems less sincere to me when there's pageantry surrounding it.

Actually I just realized I'm sort of describing both of WWE's women's divisions.

Exactly. The point is Charlotte isn't the universal champ but I'd argue Sexy winning the LU title in a messy schmozz of sorts then losing it a week later isn't THAT much more forward thinking than the upward movement of women's wrestling in WWE in general. It's great, but people going, "Heh, THERE'S your revolution, WWE. :smug:" are kind of dumb. Still should've been Ivie.

The pageantry of WWE's stuff with the ladies is virtually gone other than Foley promos, while Striker was laying it on THICK.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 25, 2016

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Luchasaurus is a great name, that should be his real name IMO

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wait, it's really until SUMMER?! :gonk:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I loving love Pentagon Dark so much.

He should have been champ a long time ago.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Minus1Minus1 posted:

as someone that still really digs Pentagon, I was actually a bit disappointed in the crowd on that one. The arm breaking is still a heel move, and Aerostar didn't deserve a sidelining injury for sticking his neck out to help a brainwashed former-buddy.

I get that the crowd as a character in this universe is into Dario's cult of violence, but it's this kind of obnoxiously smarky.

I agree and people thought I was dumb for hating the de facto heel turn to close season 2. His character and the crowd reception of him are so at odds that it makes me enjoy both less.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

Pentagon is LU's Stone Cold. Crowd loves everything he does and wants to see him hit his move on faces and heels alike. He even came back from a broken neck.

As an aside, and I don't recommend that anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled to read the wikipedia on LU, it's loving stupid that they list how long someone held the title in there according to days rather than episodes.

Except he's not. Stone Cold gave stunners, he didn't literally kayfabe injure people unless they were an actual blood feud. Pentagon is just an rear end in a top hat on another level. I won't say Pentagon isn't over, but I'm enjoying his current character less and less.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
By the way calling Pentagon LU's Austin is also stupid as hell because the promotion isn't built around him and also he's not a draw at all.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

exploded mummy posted:

yeah, he's basically their Dean Ambrose

Dean moves merch so no. LU barely has any.

Also Dean has a better written character. Damning with faint praise but really Pentagon is cool as hell but that doesn't mean his character isn't completely and totally one dimensional. The recent stuff with Seth is better characterization than anything Pentagon has ever been involved with.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 31, 2017

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

Those season 1 crowds were sparse until Penta El Cero Dark Miedo Gon started breaking arms for his maestro. Prince Puma is LU's Lex Luger.

Exactly. And when a guy gets that over you turn him so you have a top face. That's why they did the double turn with Austin and Bret. The top face of LU shouldn't be Rey.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

Pentagon's constantly a top merch seller, easy

Yeah, all 500 shirts LU has produced. All I'm saying is LU isn't trying to make money. It's a passion project. If they were smart they'd have made Pentagon an Austin-esque face (that's NOT what he is) and make him champ. loving Kobra Moon has had more screen time than Pentagon recently.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

When I said Pentagon was LU's Austin I mean 96-97 Austin, not tentpole of the whole promotion 98-99 Austin.

That makes more sense actually but he should be the latter and LU is Stupid As gently caress for not doing so.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

The difference between Pentagon and Dean Ambrose is that Pentagon is cool and Dean Ambrose is loving trash

I thought we were cool. No longer. :mad:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Efexeye posted:

foochs i really hope you don't bet on sports

Of course I don't. The gently caress does that have to do with anything?

Also to be clear I'm not saying make Pentagon John Cena, I'm saying make him not break beloved faces arms just because.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Efexeye posted:

what it has to do with anything is that you clearly let your bias for your favorite wrestlers outweigh logic and if you bet on your favorite team instead of the better team you most often lose

talking the most about wrestling doesn't make you the rightest about it, buddy

The Ambrose thing was largely dumb on my part. Doesn't mean I don't think LU isn't really misusing Pentagon and has been for a while. He should be the Ace. He's not.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jenkem Delivery posted:

You're right on Penta being the Ace, he should have been champ at the end of Season 2 after destroying matanza then should have lost the title in Aztec warfare or to Mundo via fuckery

Yep. That's honestly the only argument I'm trying to make. Exactly how they portray him is down to taste I guess but that doesn't change the fact that it's goddamn inexcusable Pentagon hasn't been champ, and hasn't really even been a major figure this season.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

He should be champ but that's the only thing that should change. He should be breaking the arms of anyone who challenges him and loses.

Difference of opinion. I literally don't enjoy the arm breaking for no reason thing. It's not fun like people overselling stunners, it's visceral and gross and excessive in kayfabe.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't disagree with you but I think that is the entire point of his character. His appeal and what got him over is that he fucks up everyone. If you can't go with Penta you'll get your arm broken. He does it to the bad guys, which is good and feels great. But he also does it to the good guys and that feels terrible and hosed up. He's a very good character but shouldn't be an over face.

As cliche as it is I think Penta is a Walter White type of character. People want to cheer him as this bad rear end who breaks every rule (And arm) and want him to be champion. They will also cheer when someone like Aerostar beats him up as revenge for breaking his arm.

I don't think there's ever been a top guy that is literally neither face nor heel. And don't say Austin. Austin was 100% face by his top run, and honestly was never that shades of grey thing again.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DangerDummy! posted:

Chiming in on the merch discussion from earlier, Pentagon moves an insane amount of shirts at his indy bookings. He isn't touching Bucks/Bullet Club numbers, but no one is. Still, he's selling a lot more than you might think.

Oh I don't doubt Pentagon's awesomeness or his moving ability, I was more speaking in LU-specific context where they don't capitalize on it how they should.

And for the record I don't think Dean is objectively better than Pentagon, more that he is better utilized as a merch mover which is not complimenting WWE.

Also re: my mindset, I can respect that, but LU has been losing my interest this season. Not just because of Pentagon.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 2, 2017

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DangerDummy! posted:

Fair enough. For the record I'm not even a big Pentagon fan, but I'm really impressed with how he captures an audience's imagination. He'd be a megastar in WWE if it wasn't a badly run joke. I could only imagine what they'd try to do with him if he got signed.

Lose the mask and speak American are numbers 1 & 2 I'm guessing.

Agreed 100%. Pentagon could be a Megastar anywhere he went but WWE would gently caress him up massively like they do 90% of their talent. My only points were:

1. LU should use Pentagon better in terms of prominence of the card.
2. LU should market him more.
3. I PERSONALLY don't really like the current direction his character is taking. Though I acknowledge that's preference, I also stand by my belief that it's not an optimal Ace choice, which P0M should be.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DangerDummy! posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the arm breaking thing either, though it has led to some pretty fun and memorable moments, like the gauntlet match with the ninja women.

I still don't like Ambrose. Sorry, man. I tried. I really did.

I don't care if people don't like Ambrose, especially not as much as me, the only part that really gets me is when they act like he's say, worse than Jinder.

No one is going to make me stop wanting to see Ambrose though. I acknowledge there are objectively many better workers in WWE but by God Dean's my guy and I'm sticking to it!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really hate the booking this season and/or certain storytelling decisions that get made that also highlight what frustrates me about the way LU works. Specifically, I really dislike the fact that Mil went over and holy poo poo that in-ring ending.

To clarify, I understand WHY Mil went over, he's like, one of the core characters of LU. That said, Mil has been boring me for a long time. I feel like he's one of those repeating minibosses in a JRPG that's a recurring character but as the game progresses, you just don't give a gently caress because you know he's just a miniboss. Matanza is everything Mil is but a lot better (other than the fact that I like seeing Catrina on my screen very much :allears:). Crane has been blowing me away with his performances, to the point that I now know what people were hyping him up for when WWE first signed him and subsequently wasted him. But he lost, totally clean, and to be honest I never once believed he was going to win. That's a problem. The match was awesome as gently caress, but I had no belief he had an honest chance. On the flipside though, I just don't buy Mil as the killer LU wants me to (probably, again, because Matanza took that mystique from him and then some).

A lot of the problem is how much LU films at once so they have no idea how over a person/storyline is going to get. Same thing happened with Pentagon through much of Season 1. That's not really LU's fault, but I wish I was surprised by the booking more often, and LU does a really good job of running characters into the ground. They've done it with Mil and Marty and they're starting to do it with Pentagon. I don't care how over it got, Pentagon breaking Brenda's arm was loving gross and gratuitous, and Striker had some line about "what separates LU from everyone else", and I'm like, that's not a good thing, dude. It's probably a contributor to LU's audience cratering after season 1. It's borderline impossible for intergender stuff to be done tastefully (arguably impossible) and Brenda's a goddamn manager, not say, Black Lotus. I dunno, I was really disappointed by this week's episode on many levels, and while I'm sure the break was a huge factor, it wouldn't shock me if stuff like that wouldn't have led to people losing interest anyway. Which is a shame, because there are so many things I genuinely love about LU.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

Foochs - based on how the story appears to be going, it really seems like Mil and Catrina may be "bad guys" but will be opposed to Matanza. And based on history - Catrina took over Dario's temple when he ran off at the end of S1 and Dario wasn't too happy with it - they'll still be opposing hosses.

it certainly appears that Catrina will be coerced into squaring off against Matanza, Dario, and the group working to bring back the gods, heel/face alignment be damned

I agree that Brenda getting attacked like that is over the top and gross. Didn't like Striker's call of it either, Texano should've made the save IMO. But disagree about characters and writing. That week-to-week "oh this guy got over, PUSH HIM TO THE MOON!" mentality reacting quickly is a biiiiiiiiiig reason why WWE is weaker than LU or even NJPW when things are done longer-term.

I'd agree if Pentagon had been champ before and lost it. There's no excuse for Pentagon not to have been champ by now.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, it looks like we're getting Gods vs Necromancers for the season finale. Wouldn't be terribly shocked if Mundo's manager is part of The Order and it just kinda ends up as Matanza, Cage, Johnny and some other goons in Dario's side Vs Catrina & Detective's side of Mil, Castro and either Vamp w/Puma or Mysterio w/Dragon Azteca Jr. plus Fenix or some other faces.

Kinda really hoping that the lizard and rabbit factions get in on this with opposing ends. Like, ultimately Mascarita Sagrada goes SSJ and his white rabbit magic heals Drago from his mind control chains.

Where would Pentagon be in this? You have Mundo, so where's Penta? (Ostensibly) face side?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This company has jumped the shark and is not even entertaining bullshit anymore (or is rapidly approaching that level), just regular old bullshit. HOW did Pentagon not win?

LU is rapidly approaching WWE levels of setting up fantastic stories and then doing literally the exact wrong things with the finishes.

Also oh boy now we get a heel vs. maybe-face but the whole loving season has been about him getting darker or whatever main event title match. Boy that's exciting.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 24, 2017

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

frankenfreak posted:

This excuse worked for season 1 when Pentagon got over unexpectedly. It doesn't work for seasons 2 or 3.

Exactly. Pentagon has been the most over guy in the company by far since UL1 at least. You could've had antihero Pentagon finally conquering utter dickbag Johnny Mundo. Instead you have Pentagon vs. Hometown Hero With A Dark Master Or Some poo poo Prince Puma. Seriously what has been the point of the Puma/Vampiro thing, like at all?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The last half of that episode was a loving disaster. There's no way the Rabbit Tribe should be getting even a fraction of that offense on Matanza. Then they said Puma would announce his partners which he didn't. Then they made it sound like Mundo was putting the title on the line next week. Then nope, it's just the advertised UL3 main with Puma putting his career on the line for literally no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're still utterly wasting Pentagon. He explicitly cannot cash in even IF he wins, which means they've still never made him LU Champ which is Stupid As gently caress.

• Locked thread