Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
I was there at Paley. The panel itself should be up on Hulu in a few weeks, from what I was told. They brought out the President of El Rey to intro everything, but he was interrupted by Dario, who told him to go away because only he introduces Lucha Underground.

They screened this upcoming Wednesday's episode, which includes a brutal WMD match. The crowd in the theater was hot, chanting for a lot of the action. A lot of temple regulars there, who were cheering when they saw themselves in reaction shots. Also, some real poo poo goes down in 302.

Finally, the panel was Vampiro, Taya, Marty Elias, Fenix, Reps from AAA, and a handful of creative from Lucha. Melissa Santos and Famous B were also around. It was a fine panel that basically hyped up season 3 and discussed how everything came together. Nothing ground shaking, but it was just nice to see the program get exposure like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

frankenfreak posted:

Marty Elias is an interesting choice. Why put him on such a panel? Does he have a role in production or is he just a referee?

I think they were hoping to get perspective from someone who was in the ring during a lot of the biggest spots of the show, like Angelico's leap, etc, etc.

Also, I don't know if it was mentioned, but Chavo Guerrero and Marty are attached to that new GLOW scripted show as consultants/trainers, I believe.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Benne posted:

Speaking of the office, do they use a separate set to film all of Dario's office scenes, or is it the same one in the Temple that everybody crashes through?

I'm impressed that Jeremiah's Ouija board stayed put in one spot even after multiple wrestlers fell through the ceiling.

Everything you see is pretty much where it is in the building. Dario exits from the actual office you see on the show, across from that is the bathrooms that Drago is in and side hallway for the Coming Up graphics. Next to audience load-in is the practice ring, and behind THAT is the locker room/gym area. Basically, every corner of that building is used on screen in some form or another. Even the outside gets used, as the parking lot has stood in for some backdrops (like 423-Get-Fame commercials).

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Per El Rey, the season break ends on May 31st, and would probably finish around mid October.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Benne posted:

RIP Chavo Classic :smith:

I'm a huge fan of this whole album, but this is a neat video with Chavo (and Joey Ryan).

https://youtu.be/Q9YvDfiAXT8

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
All right, boys, the day is finally here. Lucha Underground seasons 1 and 2 are live on Netflix.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

What exactly does he mean "cease operation in a few weeks"? The back-half of Season 3 is already in the can and it's not touring, so it's just down until production starts back up again. There is no full-time staff. And the next original episode is at the end of May, I thought?

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Satin (TMZ/ProWrestlingSheet guy) speculating that LU is just about dead, and Dave confirmed on the Board that there's in-fighting among the different owners

Was a hell of a ride, especially for the first two years

Seems like he's recanted that a bit:

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/854778977319124992

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Benne posted:

I've long suspected that LU was on borrowed time when they put Season 3 on hiatus out of nowhere, with zero plans to tape Season 4. The Netflix deal is cool, but from what I gather, studios barely make a dime on Netflix.

I'm probably the biggest LU mark left on this forum besides StarkRavingMad, but even I can't defend how badly they've done getting eyeballs on the product. The ratings are legitimately dismal, they made some questionable booking decisions that cut off potential breakout stars at the knees (HI PENTAGON AT ULTIMA LUCHA DOS!), and holding guys under contract hostage is pretty gross. If it wasn't a Robert Rodriguez vanity project I wonder if they'd even last to Season 3 -- El Rey has canceled shows with better ratings before.

Ah well, I'll enjoy whatever is left of Season 3, and hope that Puma and Pentagon and Fenix and the gang will get prominent TV bookings afterwards.

If it makes you feel better, the second half of Season 3 is pretty loving rad, from what I remember seeing.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
I don't know the thought process. But, I'm gonna guess there might be some news coming out of Chicago Comic Con this weekend, as the show has a panel booked there with Van Wagnen and DeJoseph.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Season 3 continues in a week. By order of Dario Cueto, here's a trailer for the second half of the season:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/lucha-underground-season-3.html

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Season 3 is back, TONIGHT!

8 pm on El Rey!

After taking a bit of a surprising hiatus (since January), everyone's favorite lucha libre monster mash, Lucha Underground, is firing back up. Let remember where we left off at:

- Your current Lucha Underground title holder is the Mayor of Slamtown himself, Johnny Mundo.

How did we get here?: Since the beginning of Season 3, the Monster Matanza Cueto has held the top title, with his brother Dario taunting the rest of the roster with his Wheel of Misfortune. Mantanza ran roughshod over the roster until Aztec Warfare 3, where he was eliminated by Rey Mysterio. In the end, Sexy Star won Aztec Warfare 3 (and in the process, winning the LU Title). But, she only held the belt for a week, facing Johnny the following week for the tile after he turned in his Gift of the Gods shot (which he also won from Sexy).

Johnny has had a few rematches with Sexy, before turning his attention to Sexy's best friend, The Mack. Tonight's mid-season premiere will have The Mack and Johnny squaring off in an ALL NIGHT LONG match for the title. Johnny's track record with All Night Long matches has been stellar, and the Mack is a big fan favorite, so I think this is gonna be a great match.

- Your current Trios Title holders are Drago, Aerostar and Fenix.

How did we get here? These three beat the Worldwide Underground back at Ultima Lucha Dos to win the Trios titles. But, Drago has gained the interest of Kobra Moon and her Snake Tribe, who feel the dragon-man should be one of them. She kidnapped Drago and made him wrestle with Pindar and Vibora in the Snake Tribe, but Aerostar and Fenix arrived to tell the Snakes to hit the bricks.

- Your current Gift of the Gods champion is no one. The ancient Aztec dragonballs have not been put back into play, so there's no GotG champ right now.

What else has happened so far this season?
- Matanza and Azteca, Jr. had a death match right before the mid-season break. Didn't go so well for either man, as Azteca got slammed through the grandstands in the Temple and Matanza was tossed over a barricade (by Rey) and crashed through the ceiling behind the announce desk. Dario kicked everyone out of the Temple because of this.
- Cage defeated Texano in a Best of 5 series, which Dario said was for the "Ultimate Opportunity." By winning, Cage got a kickass metal gauntlet that appears to have spooky powers.
- Pentagon Dark had a bit of a run-in with the Black Lotus Triad (after he broke Black Lotus' arm at Ultima Lucha Dos), as he faced down a gauntlet match of his own, in the form of Doku, Yurei and Hitokiri. Eventually, Hitokiri got the best of him (after she jumped off the goddamn roof) and Pentagon got a taste of his own medicine as Black Lotus (and Azteca Jr) broke both of his arms.
- Rey Mysterio beat Chavo Guerrero in a Loser Leaves Lucha match. Notable for being 1) a great match, but 2) the last televised appearance of Chavo Guerrero, Sr., who crack Chavo, Jr. with a chair to try and DQ Rey.
- Prince Puma died. But, Vampiro pulled some strings, and he's now alive again.

There's a ton more, but I think those are the big plot points to remember when this dumb show starts back up.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
It's almost like an unplanned break in the middle of a season might have been a bit of a curveball for regular viewers.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
The Cueto Cup bracket is out. I feel like my man Vinnie Massaro is the dark horse to pick.

https://twitter.com/luchaelrey/status/874704439734542336

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Yes. That was The Big Kibosh himself.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
I think she was joking about that.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Crane/Killshot was so good. The Cueto Cup hasn't wowed me much despite my love of tournaments though. Puma/Mil and the main tonight were rad but everything else has been underwhelming filler. I think part of it is the new season 3 characters just not clicking (gently caress the Rabbit Tribe) and the need to fit in at least 4 matches and episode plus entrances and vignettes.

How can anyone hate the Rabbit Tribe!? I mean, did you see how far Mala Suerte can jump? It's incredible!

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
I'm gonna guess she's improved considerably, as it's been more than a year since currently airing episodes were taped, and probably about 18 months since Kobra Moon worked an actual match in LU.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Ghidzilla posted:

What's the status on a possible season 4?

:Shakes Magic 8 Ball: "Looks good," apparently.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/27/lucha-underground-season-4-renewal-looks-good

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
I know we're all bummed about what's going on right now this season, but let's remember the fun stuff, as in, this is kinda fun:

https://youtu.be/zhM1dU0yrSI

I like Dario's house. I'd like to see some scenes there of him hanging out. Based on the show, you'd just assume he slept in his office.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Well, Lucha executive producer Eric Van Wagenen says he's "hopeful" for Season 4. Which means soak up this next month because that may be it for our dumb, weird, bad wrestling show.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Jesus Christ. I had heard this match was crazy when it was filmed, but watching it now, these guys are absolutely insane. Aside from all of the glass theatrics, just stuff like that apron leg drop from the audience or the casual 450 onto the ladder are just jaw dropping.

And I'm curious about Infamous, Inc., too. I hope it doesn't go down the standard "forced employee" road, a la HBK/JBL. Because the only time that poo poo worked was a sobbing Big Show punching out Dusty Rhodes.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
I attended the 4DX screening of the finale yesterday. It's a pretty solid show, and nobody from El Rey touched on any Season 4 rumors or news, even though the head of the network was there. It was pretty cool to see the finale in 4DX, however, as the chairs swayed and rumbled with each bump. Got a little overwhelming by the end, however. I think people will be happy with this episode.

And I got a free water bottle out of it.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

Black Lotus died? How?

She didn't die. Matanza slammed her after Dario fessed up to lying about Dragon Azteca's death. And then he laaaaaaughed, and laaaaaaughed, and laaaaaaughed.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Benne posted:

poo poo now I'm really sad there won't be a new season

Oh, goodness. Just you wait, friend.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

ANNOUNCE SEASON 4 YOU FUCKS :argh:

We don't have that....but can I interest you in Bushido Battlegrounds?

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004

Jiro posted:

Will someone gracious please say what the gently caress is going on some of us aren't blessed to have El Rey Network.

Puma beats Mundo.
Puma is challenged by Pentagon. Dario makes it career vs. career and Puma loses, after Vampiro interference for Pentagon.
Montage shows Sexy Star getting another spider, Daga cutting off Pindar's head in front of Kobra moon, Fenix and Melissa driving away, and Godfrey shooting Dario, who tries to call for help on his red phone.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Two things-

The guy that shot Dario is the guy who replaced Lorenzo Lamas as the higher power liaison, after Cage punched his head off.

And Rey is in a cell right next to Matanza.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Paul London had mentioned that, but no official announcement yet, so who knows? If that deal was in place, it's silly they wouldn't make that known at the end of the episode tonight.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Tickets just went live for the first set of tapings: http://lu4.eventbrite.com

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Paul Shipper, who did a lot of the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movie posters, apparently also worked on that LU poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
Season 4 trailer, right here. Seems to be a lot of pounding and laughing this season:

https://youtu.be/WFSai18nSHU

And, here’s a profile on what to expect from ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/23444428/lucha-underground-returns-fourth-season-embraces-challenge-moving-two-departing-stars

AKA Driver fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 9, 2018

• Locked thread