Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I was lucky enough to only get hit with the big spoiler and the not-as-big spoiler that follows. Fortunately, I'm more interested in how it gets there than annoyed.

When I picked up the season pass on iTunes, it came with a paragraph description of the season. Minor spoilers: It begins with Dario being released and the big plot is that one hero will have to go down a dark path while others will have to make sacrifices to save the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Do you have to buy LU for the whole season or can you do episode by episode on iTunes? I'm thinking of dropping my cable package but I don't want to lose my access to Pentagón and friends.

You have both options.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Speaking of Aztec Warfare, I have to imagine the "Ultimate Opportunity" that Cage and Texano are fighting over is the #20 spot.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

StarkRavingMad posted:

He apparently really is a crazy motherfucker even outside the gimmick.

Darewolf's got nards

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm going to be interviewing some of the Lucha Underground people at New York Comic Con. Some assortment of Rey Mysterio, Catrina, Ivelisse, Marty Elias, Taya, Eric Van Wagenen and Skip Chaisson.

Anything anyone wants me to ask?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'll have a write-up of the panel later tonight. But yeah, it was in the biggest panel room and the place was packed. I will say that you're in for some seriously hammy poo poo from Mysterio this Wednesday.

I did get to interview Ivelisse, Marty Elias and Mysterio today. With Elias, it was literally "Here, interview this referee and we're rolling!" But it went well enough.

Kind of funny and awkward moment:

Me: What's it like working with Luis Fernandez-Gil?

Ivelisse: Uh.......

Me: For those of you at home, he plays Dario Cueto.

Ivelisse: OH! Yeah, he's great.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here's the panel report. Sorry about the clickbaity title. That's my editor's doing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

I will say that you're in for some seriously hammy poo poo from Mysterio this Wednesday.

What did I tell you?

After showing that clip, they asked Rey what he thinks of doing backstage segments like this.

"AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Does anyone have that gif of Chavo Sr. in that music video about him where the singer starts ranting about his own father (or something like that) and Chavo just starts going "Oh, wow, holy poo poo."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mob posted:

that doesn't shock me since Matt Striker is the wurst

We haven't seen his wurst since he was wearing his wrestling tights.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Cage and Texano are having a Best of Five series to determine who gets to become a vessel for a ancient Aztec god.

Lucha Underground owns so hard.

Mortal Kombat did the same storyline once, only Cage and Texano are way more interesting than Li Mei.

Which reminds me, Chikara needs to book Glacier vs. Pentagon one of these days.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

StarkRavingMad posted:

The bottom line is really that the writers of this show are writing in comic book land, and in that genre, the women fight the men. You don't have Black Widow sectioned off only fighting other women. And remember who the guy at the top of the food chain is here:

Similarly, I see Lucha Underground as the fighting game of wrestling shows. It's Mortal Kombat. Sonya Blade can fight Goro. Kitana can fight Shao Kahn. It's no big deal.

Now that I think about it, the only WWE game in the past ten years where men and women are even allowed to fight is the one made by the Mortal Kombat guys. I'm surprised they didn't put the kibosh on Nikki Bella being allowed to fight Brock Lesnar.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

is there a reason i missed that the ninja ladies attacked pentagon and is it sexist to not want to see him in this particular feud?

Pentagon broke Black Lotus' arm at Ultima Lucha Dos for no real reason. They've since shown her preparing revenge with her ninja clan.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The ninja clan vignette was an end of episode stinger, so it's easy to forget.

The arm break came from a match between Black Lotus and Dragon Azteca Jr. While the match was going on, Pentagon Dark ran out, kicked both their asses, broke both their arms, then demanded they do the Matanza title match right then and there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

With the Ivelisse/Sexy Star situation, I keep comparing it in my head to how Chikara did their whole woman-as-top-champ thing, mainly because it was also a second choice situation.

Supposedly, the plan in 2012 was to have Sara Del Rey beat Eddie Kingston for the title. It would have been a pretty big deal and would have been the perfect destination for like three years of story for her. Then she got signed to WWE, so that didn't happen. Instead, Kingston held onto the belt for far too long and we finally got a female champ at the end of 2015 with Kimber Lee. It was the culmination of a year-long build and she had a respectable amount of defenses before dropping the title. Though they did fall into the "how progressive are we?!" trap like WWE afterwards.

Anyway, I can't help but think of how disastrous it would have been if Del Rey's leaving was followed immediately by Saturyne becoming the champ just for the woman champ novelty. Not just for how ill-deserved and blatant it would be, but for how cringingly bad it would have added to the "Quack's wife is divorcing him for banging Saturyne on the side" rumors that came months later.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

StarkRavingMad posted:

I like that Johnny's terrible acting is both shoot and work

also, the key to beating Sexy Star: FAKE SPIDERS

CREE-EE-EEPY CRAWLERS!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Luchasaurus is a great name, that should be his real name IMO

Luchasaurus Aron Rex.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Is this when Matanza Goldberged himself on a window or something?

Yup.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

StarkRavingMad posted:

When I said earlier in the thread that I thought maybe the end of this taping meant that the mid-season break was planned, it was that the bleachers was destroyed, the other roof was destroyed, and it ended with Dario kicking everyone out of the Temple. They only showed some of his rant at the crowd, because by the end he was yelling at everyone to GET THE gently caress OUT of his Temple and it was now closed while Rey kind of stood between him and the fans. Good times.

Don't worry, Chavo Guerrero will turn face by starting a grassroots campaign to bring the show back and we'll see a bunch of YouTube videos about the Ashes of Lucha Underground.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

I wonder if anyone's ever tried to cut together a LU movie from all the filmed segments and maybe some minimal usage of in-ring footage to explain victories. There's a lot going on. The season 1 finale montage was probably one of the most concise and best produced pieces I've seen in a wrestling show.

Man, don't make me make two Ashes of Chikara references on the same page.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Benne posted:

Didn't they have some other guys in mind to play Matanza before settling on Jeff Cobb? IIRC that was a big debate, which is why they waited until Season 2 to reveal him.

At one point it was going to be Hernandez.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DangerDummy! posted:

So my daughter was asking about a WWE Network subscription, and I'm not really very interested in giving them money right now. If she likes LU, is it a safe bet that she'll enjoy Chikara? Is their streaming service any good, and would I be able to access it on our Roku?

Lucha Underground's production values compared to Chikara's is like Ghostbusters compared to Be Kind Rewind's Ghostbusters, but yeah, it's good fun and worth a try. I don't know about Roku, but I have no issues with the streaming service. You get all the shows (new ones go up about two months after they happen) and every now and then they'll live stream a random show as it's happening.

If anything, watch it for the King of Trios shows and see how you guys feel about it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Benne posted:

Isn't King of Trios like the one time of year CHIKARA ponies up money to bring in outside talent?

Not 100% accurate, but definitely more accurate in the past couple years.

Actually, DangerDummy!, the best "is this right for me" show would be King of Trios 2015 since it includes Team AAA (Drago, Fenix, Aerostar). This leads to (spoilering just in case) Team AAA vs. AJ Styles and the Young Bucks.

Just... stay away from Ashes of Chikara. It's... just trust me on this.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

With LU hitting Netflix soon, I wrote a non-spoiler beginner's guide.

Basically profiles without outright saying what they do during the series.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pinwiz11 posted:

Lucha Underground Season 3: No time for pants.

No pants, that's what you've got.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Can't believe wrestling killed off the Renegade again.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The tournament has been hurting things because while the brackets have been good, there are too many overbooked finishes. Too much interference from a show that's usually above that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm now imagining Dean/Brock with the Pentagon/Matanza booking and it's hilarious. Just Dean manhandling Brock like he was nothing.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

By the way calling Pentagon LU's Austin is also stupid as hell because the promotion isn't built around him and also he's not a draw at all.

How can people say Pentagon is LU's Austin when Pentagon has never been in a movie about Adam Sandler playing football?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ghidzilla posted:

I....kinda think I can see what the main event of Ultima Lucha 3 is gonna be after tonight.

I think.

Pentagon Dark gradually working towards making his title match with Johnny Mundo a fair fight by stalking and snapping the arms of each Worldwide Underground member like a slasher villain over the course of several weeks sounds like a good time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Where would Pentagon be in this? You have Mundo, so where's Penta? (Ostensibly) face side?

Finally pull the trigger on announcing his connection to Fenix.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Barely on topic, but this seemed like the best thread to post it. I took a look back at Wrestling Society X, ten years later.

I wrote this like six months ago, but sometimes articles get thrown onto the shelf in case of a rainy day.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Unless they change the rule, a cash in requires one week's notice so Dario can promote the match. I guess the Puma/Mundo could be earlier in the four show sequence to allow for that.

Other way around. If the ladder match is on a different episode and Pentagon wins, he can just demand to be added into the Puma/Mundo match, couldn't he? At the very least "use the Gift of the Gods to turn the main event into a triple threat" was Son of Havoc's plan.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

On the LU Facebook page, there's a video of Killshot talking up his match with Fox for Ultima Lucha. The three stages are confirmed as First Blood, No DQ and Stretcher Match.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

atomic gog posted:

When is ultima lucha starting?

This Wednesday. It's going to be four episodes long, though I don't know if the final episode will be one or two hours.

The announced card:

Ivelisse vs. Catrina

Famous B (minus one arm) vs. Texano: If Famous B wins, Texano has to become his client

Dante Fox vs. Killshot: Hell of War (3 Stages of Hell)

Taya vs. Sexy Star: Last Luchadora Standing

Dragon Azteca Jr. vs. Matanza Cueto: Steel Cage

Cage vs. Mil Muertes vs. Jeremiah Crane: Winner gets the Gauntlet

Fenix vs. Marty Martinez: Mask vs. Hair

Pentagon Dark vs. Son of Havoc: Ladder Match for the Gift of the Gods

Johnny Mundo vs. Prince Puma: Title vs. Career

I also accidentally stumbled upon a pretty major spoiler based on wondering "Why isn't ______ on the show?" I'm not even mad about it because I'm too curious how we get from A to C.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here's a primer I wrote for Ultima Lucha Tres.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I hope next week's finale lives up to this, but, man, it's bittersweet seeing all this knowing that it might be the very end of our temple.

I'm okay with whichever way it goes. I'd like it to go on, but if it doesn't, it lasted three seasons with over a hundred episodes and that's not bad. It feels less like a wrestling promotion going under and more like a writer finishing up a strong run on a comic series.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Benne posted:

What's everyone's one favorite moment from this show? The single moment when you'll back on this and be like "god that the best."

The montage at the end of the first season. It's such a perfect look at where things have come to and where things will go if there was to be a second season.

- As Dario and Lotus run off from the Temple, giving it a reason to go on hiatus, we're shown a portion of Matanza's face for the first time. The true payoff would have to wait for another day.

- Fenix has his Gift of the Gods title, the one true piece of hope in an otherwise pessimistic finale. Even still, King Cuerno is intent on hunting him down.

- Marty has gone from excited weirdo fanboy to full-on psychopath by kidnapping Sexy Star and announcing the coming of his sister.

- Son of Havoc shows that despite their loss, he's become stronger as a team with former enemies Angelico and Ivelisse.

- Former rivals Aerostar and Drago shake hands as friends before flying off into the night in the form of a dragon and a human rocket.

- Pentagon Jr. has finally found where he belongs, but the reveal of Vampiro as his master is only the beginning of his adventure.

- El Dragon Azteca Jr. finally takes up the mantle of his dead mentor and sprays a giant question mark onto a billboard, promising two additions -- new and old -- to the roster in the second season.

- That creepy-rear end final shot of Dario Cueto leaving the Temple as it closes down and glows red. At first, the whole thing seems to bring him pain and disappointment, but then he smiles as if this is all going to work out in his favor.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

JamMasterJim posted:

Every segment where someone visits Dario's office.

I remember when in the gif thread, someone posted a moment where Dario was talking to someone in his office and it dramatically zoomed in on Black Lotus secretly watching him through the window. That, of all things, was what convinced Jerusalem to finally give the show a shot.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

In a shock move, Alan Alda replaces Dario as the new Head of the Temple.

*sob* "Oh my God! It wasn't a chicken! He killed Mr. Cisco! I didn't want him to-- I just wanted him to be quiet!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

Is PJB still on the mend from his accident?

He's at least set to show up for King of Trios in a few months, alongside Darren Young and me, Michael Tarver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Just a reminder, the show comes back tonight. Anyone want to start a new thread?

• Locked thread