Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Ted Cruz is the best filter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
How did people running shows on Public Access before Youtube manage?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

The only thing I know about this is it's probably the fault of millenials.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

How did people running shows on Public Access before Youtube manage?

the goal is not to speak freely here, it's to get money

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gianthogweed posted:

Because, under international control, free speech on the internet may no longer be protected by the first amendment.

oh no

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
YouTube has changed the way they inform people of a policy they've had since 2012 and autistic internet children have decried it as the end of free speech as we know it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Normally I would totally bang the drum that silencing people from the services that define communication in the modern world is censorship or something equivalently bad, especially when these companies have worked really hard to become near-monopolies. That the right metaphor is not the bank not letting me protest in their lobby, it's AT&T cutting off my phone service because it's the mccarthy era and they were told I'm a commie. That "no platforming" was the shittiest idea that anyone who calls themselves a liberal could ever support, and will accomplish nothing good and do much harm.

but in this case they're not being kicked off youtube or even having videos blocked, they're just not getting adbucks. youtube's still providing them bandwidth and allowing them to voice their opinions to anyone that wants to watch it, they're just not being paid for the privilege.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

your an idiot

No, you're.

Klyith posted:

but in this case they're not being kicked off youtube or even having videos blocked, they're just not getting adbucks. youtube's still providing them bandwidth and allowing them to voice their opinions to anyone that wants to watch it, they're just not being paid for the privilege.

The "fat Youtube dollars" bubble was always bound to burst, but it seems like people are upset over how Youtube has chosen to implement these new restrictions, moreso than the restrictions themselves. I'm more irritated at the limp-wristed defense of these policies and this notion that objecting to this practice is somehow a selfish attitude to take.

This being said, Patreon is surely going to explode because of this. A large audience generates revenue, and Youtube remains a platform for building an audience, ad revenue or no ad revenue. I doubt very much will change because of this. It's better for everyone not to rely on adverts because advertising is never a reliable income source these days.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

Because, under international control, free speech on the internet may no longer be protected by the first amendment.

the only thing under the protection of the first amendment is your right to pay a domain registrar and hosting or service provider to put up your own website complaining about sjws and feminists using tlds under us jurisdiction and not have it taken down by the feds

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

8-Bit Scholar posted:

No, you're.

The "fat Youtube dollars" bubble was always bound to burst, but it seems like people are upset over how Youtube has chosen to implement these new restrictions, moreso than the restrictions themselves. I'm more irritated at the limp-wristed defense of these policies and this notion that objecting to this practice is somehow a selfish attitude to take.

This being said, Patreon is surely going to explode because of this. A large audience generates revenue, and Youtube remains a platform for building an audience, ad revenue or no ad revenue. I doubt very much will change because of this. It's better for everyone not to rely on adverts because advertising is never a reliable income source these days.

Most people who are "big" on Youtube have jumped to Patreon anyways IMO, since Adblockers are such a prevalent thing. As you said, most of the rage about this is just bad communication on Youtube's part, because who thought having "no swearing or violence" in the List Of Bad Things would go over well?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
who do most prominent "online free speech" activists usually turn out to be pedophiles and stuff like that? makes u think

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fits my needs posted:

who do most prominent "online free speech" activists usually turn out to be pedophiles and stuff like that? makes u think
it's almost as if people who hold conservative viewpoints are trash people

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Infidel Castro posted:

The only thing I know about this is it's probably the fault of millenials.

true

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Palace of Hate posted:

the only thing under the protection of the first amendment is your right to pay a domain registrar and hosting or service provider to put up your own website complaining about sjws and feminists using tlds under us jurisdiction and not have it taken down by the feds

Yes, because those are the only websites that will have their DNS registration taking away. It's totally okay to not have the internet protected by the first amendment. Let's just let governments censor whatever they want so they can push any of their propaganda through unchallenged. I'm sure you'd love it if Trump wins and he can censor any websites that criticize him.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 5, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Stuntman posted:

it's almost as if people who hold conservative viewpoints are trash people

free speech is a conservative viewpoint? wow

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bertolt rekt posted:

aww man now that you've reminded me of it I really want to watch this video again

this parody, which comically is closer to 'bullying' than the deleted original, still exists for you my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onLV-2_yV7s

Sancho posted:

lol link to that video?

and for you too so my post becomes yellow and you know it's a must click zone

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Blue Train posted:

Everything that was once considered a leftist position is now a conservative position. Small government / low taxes / anti-authoritarianism / free speech. All were leftist positions for most of human history until Marxism became a thing. Get used to it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gianthogweed posted:

Everything that was once considered a leftist position is now a conservative position. Small government / low taxes / anti-authoritarianism / free speech. All were leftist positions for most of human history until Marxism became a thing. Get used to it.

Yeah great or it could be that the conservative party is just grasping at straws and trying not to hemorrhage voters after being outed as the Party of Broken-brained Bigot Assholes. They're not actually "for" any of those things you said.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah great or it could be that the conservative party is just grasping at straws and trying not to hemorrhage voters after being outed as the Party of Broken-brained Bigot Assholes. They're not actually "for" any of those things you said.

I never said they were. I'm not a Republican and don't consider myself a conservative. It's the left who has ousted the true liberals and branded them as conservative right wingers. I'm glad the progressives aren't calling themselves liberals anymore.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

Yes, because those are the only websites that will have their DNS registration taking away. It's totally okay to not have the internet protected by the first amendment. Let's just let governments censor whatever they want so they can push any of their propaganda through unchallenged. I'm sure you'd love it if Trump wins and he can censor any websites that criticize him.

are you aware the united states government does not own the internet or the infrastructure with which it is constructed

how do you propose we enforce first amendment protections on chinese dns servers

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Blue Train posted:

a lot of liberals are actual fascists minus all martial prowess :v:

yak of man
Sep 5, 2016

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vog5mRI9dlg

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

You now see my dilemma.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

wikipedia says icann is based in playa vista california?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the right of the people to collect sweet pennies for commercials shall not be infringed!!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Gianthogweed posted:

This makes sense when for most of human history conservatism is all about keeping things the way they are and for most of human history "keeping things they say they are" meant monarchies

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Palace of Hate posted:

are you aware the united states government does not own the internet or the infrastructure with which it is constructed

Yes. This is about handing over DNS control from NTIA to ICANN, a private global entity.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

This makes sense when for most of human history conservatism is all about keeping things the way they are and for most of human history "keeping things they say they are" meant monarchies

And now the new left is advocating a return to absolute monarchies. Or at least emperors that we vote in every 4 years or so.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

illuminatinet

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

Ted Cruz is the best filter

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

Yes. This is about handing over DNS control from NTIA to ICANN, a private global entity.

so you are concerned about the obama zog nwo taking down whichever website you got this conspiracy from?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I see where 8-bit Scholar is coming from and tbh I don't really disagree with his logic but this is something the free market will handle imo... if YouTube sucks bad enough everyone will just use a competing service no?

Google fiddling with search results and poo poo at the request of authorities is a little more disconcerting bc then the state *is* involved in messing with you and then it doesn't matter what service you use because presumably the precedent has been set; the state can enforce cooperation through FISA courts and poo poo.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Palace of Hate posted:

so you are concerned about the obama zog nwo taking down whichever website you got this conspiracy from?

They are trying to pass a bill to block this action in congress right now. This isn't a conspiracy theory.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

wikipedia says icann is based in playa vista california?

Yes, but it is has an international advisory board. The US contract ends September 30th, after which it will likely fall under UN control.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Moridin920 posted:

but this is something the free market will handle imo

:allears:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

They are trying to pass a bill to block this action in congress right now. This isn't a conspiracy theory.

i'm the guy who thinks the wold political-economic system is run by Marxists, instead of a set of elites who have no principles whatsoever except the belief that their own moral and intellecual superiority to the filthy masses entitles them to rule. this is a set of people who are currently in full-scale screaming tantrum mode at anyone they've decided is too far outside the bounds of acceptable opinion, left or right, or who is directly challenging their right to rule

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 5, 2016

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

its a conspiracy theory because you postulate that the handover of iana to icann will definitely result in mega censorship of all your favorite right wing rags when there's zero credible basis for that assertion

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

i'm the guy who thinks the wold political-economic system is run by Marxists, instead of a set of elites who have no principles whatsoever except the belief that their own moral and intellecual superiority to the filthy masses entitles them to rule, and who are currently in full tantrum-mode that anyone would dare challenge Hillary's right to the office of president

Well then you're deluded.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Palace of Hate posted:

its a conspiracy theory because you postulate that the handover of iana to icann will definitely result in mega censorship of all your favorite right wing rags when there's zero credible basis for that assertion

An assertion I never made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

An assertion I never made.

Gianthogweed posted:

• Locked thread