Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
AAPL was a good game. Any Professor Layton fan should play it and the cool AA fans should play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I probably won't get a chance to play it until the end of the month which is hella sad

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I would play Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, but I haven't played a single Layton game, so half of the game would just feel lost on me

You don't need to know much about the Layton universe or anything, but the game does feel very Laytonesque. Which either means you could love it and get into the Layton series as a result, or really not like it (like some people in past AA threads) because you're a dang dweeb.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

First: You can download the Ace Attorney Trilogy (A collection of the first three games), Layton vs., Dual Destines, and Spirit of Justice from the 3DS eShop. Apollo Justice and Investigations 1 would have to be tracked down on DS and Investigations 2 and Dai Gyakuten Saiban have never been given US releases, though Investigations 2 has a perfectly good fan patch and DGS is getting what I refuse to acknowledge as an Ace Attorney translation from the guys that made the lovely FE:Fates patch.

It should also be noted that Layton vs., the Investigations games, and Dai Gyakuten are side games and are not necessary if you just wanna catch up on the main continuity.

Second: Most Ace Attorney games are standalone stories, and while it helps to have context for returning characters and how people got where they are, it's hardly required. As for mechanics, the games make a point of having every first case feature a tutorial on the game's basics, so you're good there.

You should probably play the trilogy before anything else, but otherwise I agree.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
what is consultation in the options? is that like, if i keep it on the game will give me hints?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks!

I feel like the game is super laggy.

E: I think the text speed just feels really slow.

fronz fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 8, 2016

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The intro was a little too long but the case was fun. I was annoyed that it took Phoenix so long to figure out how to open the box.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

I tried presenting the lyrics twice before I was actually able to, I wasn't a fan of that. Metal Jesus gimmick should probably have been more endearing to me, but coming off the last game it came off as "people liked Marlon, right? Let's do that guy again." except without anywhere near as good a character design.

I feel like the whole court feels pretty AAPL-inspired. On the one hand there's the DC act dynamic, and I feel like the Divination Seances and reinterpreting the facts reminds me a lot of the AAPL bit with the parrot. (Pees'lubn reminded me of Bardly.)

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I just started case 2 and met Ema but I have a horrible feeling the lead detective is going to be a Khura'inese guy. I want Gumshoe back :(

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The Trucy in this game is less obnoxious than past games IMO

Also god damnit Apollo a swing and abyss

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day posted:

Apollo's awesome, Trucy is cool, and Athena sucks.

Athena is a cool assistant. She's a total dweeb, which is what an assistant needs to be.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Athena is cool out of the court but analytical psychology sucks

gimmicks are aight in investigations, but courtrooms don't need gimmicks, especially ones that are completely obvious like "why is ___ happy that their friend died??"

fronz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 10, 2016

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

Case 5: :psyboom:

And there's still so much left?!

Wait, are there 6 cases?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

cloofish posted:

The mood matrix is never used for something like this.

I used it for something like that immediately before I posted.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Case 2. Throughout the whole thing I was expecting the murder was committed earlier, and that this was proved by the backwards handprints that nobody ever brought up, for some reason. Really pleased with the resolution, though.

Amppelix posted:

I beat it! Amazing game, best AA since 3, easily. Maybe best in the series, but we'll see how I feel about it in a week.

Did you play AAI2?

cloofish posted:

Oh right, yeah. I know what you're talking about, sorry :downs:. Still I've found it was more used to better understand the state of the crime than to just see through lies. Idk, it occurs infrequently enough and has enough variance to stay interesting imo. :shrug:

No worries, I might just be salty because I'm being reintroduced to it with a use that I found really dull. (I do generally prefer when I have the agency to find contradictions though - maybe I would like the mood matrix better if it was something I had to actively choose to use.)

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Amppelix posted:

I did. It would be third best in this situation, They're all amazing anyway, but for some reason I'm not feeling that hot on it. Maybe I just like the regular crew more than Edgey's adventures.

Obviously I'm nowhere near finished with AA6 (and unfortunately won't be for a couple weeks), but I feel like AAI2 is the undisputed best. I didn't know who the culript was until the last minute in like 3 of the cases, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Felt very very hard to put down.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's really impressive that Maya's eyebrows are in front of her hair

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
haha case 3 the Warbaa'd Dagger

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I should probably stop reading this thread for a while

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's inevitable that the Judge is a client. I don't know how it hasn't happened yet.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

The Judge gets accused, Junpier has to stand in as the new Judge.

As soon as she gets in the court she goes bald and grows a magnificent beard.

I would suspect accessories that just look like a beard and male pattern baldness, but yes this is definitely
happening

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Well Manicured Man posted:

My memory might be a little foggy, but I don't recall the "final boss" breakdowns being quite as over-the-top or cartoonish as a lot of other breakdowns in other cases, with the exception of 2-4 and 5-5. The final breakdown in 6-5 felt pretty fitting to me.

Also, Apollo mastered and surpassed Dhurke's dragon glare, because having Chords of Steel just wasn't enough for him. Apollo is OP, please nerf.

1-5? Like, the only one that this seems right for is... AJ-4.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Half of Gumshoe's salary as police chief goes towards paying off Maggie's legal debt

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That would have been really gripping. The guy you came to know throughout the game got loving murdered and you didn't even notice.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Poque posted:

I really gotta play AI2

It's so good

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Agreed.

Remember that time they both showed up in the same case at the end of Investigations? :argh:

He was a lot better in the first AA and AAI2.

His idiot drawings in 3-5 were amusing.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
1-5 is IMO the best non-investigations case in the series, though I'm only at the start of 6-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I really liked the breakdown at the end of 1-3 for precisely your complaints