Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Plom Bar posted:

Vs. Professor Layton came dangerously close.

PLvsAA is weird in how it's absolutely fantastic for around 90% of the game and then you hit that last 10% and wellll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Only slightly more insane then an entire town of robots for the purpose of taking care of one girl.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

2-3 has one of the best dialogue options in the series at least.

"I'm not even sure if this day hasn't been some kind of Kafkaesque dream." :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There wasn't a game in the the series where I can say that it was strictly about Phoenix until AA4.

AA1 was ultimately about Edgeworth, AA2 is about Maya, and AA3 is about Mia.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AAI isn't like completely not worth playing but it's definitely on the low end of the series.

How they went from that immediately to AAI2 I have no idea.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BioEnchanted posted:

Despite everyone's hatred of Turnabout Bigtop, there is one part that was actually kind of funny - Mo actually manages to make Von Karma tell a joke:

When he goes on his panic-spiel about Pi, Franziska's response is "I want the whole truth... no fractions!" Franny made a pun :kimchi:
There's also Phoenix musing that this was all possibly a kafkaesque dream.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 4, 2018

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lechtansi posted:

Oh, we can't figure out how to keep Pearl from channeling Dahlia so lets concoct this crazy plan and kill Mayas mom while we are at it. Like, nobody just said "Hey Pearl, lets go check on Maya real quick to make sure shes OK then go read stories with Elise. Boom, entire plot foiled.
This is actually deliberate.

Godot wanted to be the Big Manly Hero and so created this convoluted plan to allow himself to save the day to deal with his crippling guilt and self loathing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It is funny how Edgeworth plays Unofficial Defense Attorney in a large chunk of his AAI cases just because he has to fight that trend.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If Case 2 didn't win you over then yeah you're probably not going to like it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Funky Valentine posted:

There's also the consequences of Phoenix becoming a lawyer (which itself was a distant consequence of IS-7.)

Which adds Zak to the body count at least.

The legal system imploded and was reformed because some people took pastries far too seriously.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m almost done with Apollo Justice, should I move right on to Dual Destinies or do AAI 1/2 in between? Also I know there are DLC cases for DD/SOJ, do they fit into the overall plot or are they more standalone?

The DLC cases are standalone.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

chumbler posted:

That would be a pretty major conflict of interest.

Only if Apollo was the defense attorney.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zerilan posted:

Most of the 3rd game felt like it was more about Mia than PW even.

I mean Phoenix didn't get a game about him until Apollo Justice.

The first game is about Edgeworth, the second is about Maya and the third is about Mia.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Personally I think PL vs AA is worth playing for the 95% of the game that's fantastic before the poor 5% at the end.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Everybody treating Phoenix like some idiot is explained by the system treating defense attorneys like trash.

If he was smart he'd be a prosecutor see.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah I feel that the writers do a good job of making each character you play as feel unique even though the gameplay doesn't really change.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SardonicTyrant posted:

Watching a longplay of AAI case 2. Edgeworth and Franziska have a great dynamic. It's like a mix of catiness and I Know You Know mind games.

So a normal sibling relationship

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Regy Rusty posted:

Being a video game means you just have to accept some amount of contrivance or inconsistency. Take Edgeworth, who in the AAI games demonstrates the same kind of tenacity Phoenix does and refuses to give up until he's found the full truth before it even gets to court. But then we've later seen him prosecute two cases where he didn't do this and it's up to Phoenix to find his mistakes. .

This is actually easily explained by the cases in AAI being ones he investigated personally while the ones you go against him in the games are ones which he was assigned after others did.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

3-2: Gets his client off on double jeopardy for crimes he did commit.

I mean tbf trying to get your client off is a Defense Attorney's job. The prosecution failed to make its case. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm just going off of the way they leave it at the end of the case which has everyone super sympathetic to him for some reason.

2-3 sucks

Phoenix was right when he said it was all a Kafka-esque dream.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tesseraction posted:

Pretty weird booting up AAI2 to find that it takes place basically the day after AAI finished.

I think this is just what Edgeworth's life is like.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Phoenix once defended Majima in court according to Project X Zone 2.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SI-7 is the case where Gregory Edgeworth managed to prove that Von Karma had forged evidence and get the one mark on his Perfect Record. This case wasn't given any details until AAI2.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm just going to disagree on your assessment of the final culprit.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Amppelix posted:

sure, but i do not like how the story wants me to feel bad for the guy who tells franziska to stay in the kitchen

I mean that negative character trait is also part of why he ended up having a tragic fall in the first place. His sexism is directly tied to his motive in wanting to be the big manly man who saves the day and thus helps cause Misty Fey's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Raxivace posted:

I thought Holmes was public domain now? There shouldn't be a need anymore for tacky legal dodges like "Sholmes".

There are still some Holmes stories that are under copyright. The Doyle estate is very picky and will find any excuse to try and sue over them.

Notbaly they argue that if you're not writing Holmes as a dick than they have the copyright lol.