Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Amppelix posted:

Why isn't everyone in this thread playing DGS right now, this game owns incredibly hard and if you have a halfway decent computer to run an android emulator with you have no excuse

I know it's never happening but part of me wants to hold out for an official release and just enjoy the remastered trilogy for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wish I had a decent Android tablet to get DGS on. I ain't playing it on a god drat phone.

I'm slowly going back through the trilogy like a decade after my original playthrough. Turnabout Sisters was a lot... crappier than I remember. I get that it's mainly an introduction to the investigation phase but the court phase is incredibly rushed. I was actually glad to see Edgeworth propose a third court day. But eh no I guess we can just blackmail the guy into confessing (in front of the judge) and move on. The game doesn't even bother to linger on the motives or method and just shuffles along to the next case. It's got me worried that my teenage brain thought a lot of the cases in GS1 were more fleshed out and interesting than they actually were...

e: It's also kind of poo poo that Phoenix doesn't get any kind of impressive flourish or reveal that saves the day. He fumbles through the whole thing and would've lost if he wasn't saved by a cheating ghost. As a player I didn't feel like I did much of anything in the case.

stev fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 17, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Was Layton x AA actually worth playing if you give no fucks about Layton or his nonsense?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nate RFB posted:

As someone who equally gives no fucks about Layton and his nonsense I thought the game was terrible and wish I hadn't played it.

Look up the Turnabout Sisters remix it has and call it a day.

Good to know. I'm a bit surprised by that though since Shu is listed as a codirector.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barudak posted:

a severe BMX Bandit and Angel Summoner issue

I need more references like this in my life.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NRVNQSR posted:

if you hate the endings of Layton games spoiler, they all have the same ending you'll hate its ending.

Isn't the ending of one of them you were super high the whole time and imagining it all?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dude's brain must be hosed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Y'all are making me look back fondly on AJ. Really hope it gets a remaster soon.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It got one for Android 2 years ago!

Well I hope they release it on Switch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barudak posted:

Only if accused of crimes in Japanafornia

Although unless he's a straight white male he might find the legal system way less fair than portrayed in the games.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The first game ended up being dirt simple and mostly pretty dumb. I remember the trials being far more in depth. Even Turnabout Goodbyes only has one or two moments that require any thought from the player.

Rose From the Ashes is far better so I'm hoping JFA and T&T are as good as I remember them being.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ulio posted:

Am at the rise of the ashes right now and man the cough up queen aka lunchbox lady has committed an insane amount of perjury even for an Ace Attorney game.

Perjury usually means getting kicked out of court until the end of the day, and being invited back to tell the real truth the next day.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Amppelix posted:

That quandary is solved by always pressing everything. Which you should be doing anyway to extract the maximum amount of writing from the game, because what else are you here for?

I think there's like two times in the entire series where you need to press something again after pressing something different. Those are just bullshit and they know it because they stopped doing that.

I can't stand testimony that you just get past by pressing everything. It just feels like busywork even if the writing's good.

Pressing should be for revealing extra details and adding to the testimony. I don't want to complete a case by lessing L over and over again.

Turnabout Goodbyes is especially bad for this. You have so few actual decisions to make throughout the majority of the case.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Honestly, the only downside to that case is that it feels like the important lesson you're supposed to learn about seeking the truth above all else doesn't carry into future games because your clients after that are always innocent, so we don't get to really see Phoenix apply that lesson past simply defending his clients

He learns how to threaten a man's life to get the verdict he wants.

Although he learned that from Mia in 1-2 too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Funky Valentine posted:

Randy Pitchford, Ace Prosecutor.

"Objection!"

"Why would you gently caress me on this, Nick?"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Crossing my fingers that Nintendo announces two new compilations for Switch at E3 - the second AA trilogy and the DGS duology.

Who am I kidding it'll be 20 minutes of Animal Crossing and 10 minutes of Mario Maker 2.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is that true? Holmes is almost all public domain. And even the parts that aren't could probably be circumvented by changing the names of a few characters.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If that's true hopefully the UK version leaves it as it is since afaik it's just the US that's causing issues.

At least come up with a pun.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ok, time to start getting excited.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If there's no announcement on that day there never will be.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

somepartsareme posted:

The online concert that they've been advertising with "#TheGreatAceAttorney" is tomorrow. How disappointed are we going to allow ourselves to get?

It's almost over and seems like nothing was announced. Welp.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Motherfuck. I can't wait to finally play these. I'm glad I didn't jump through all those hoops to play a fan translation on the worst console (3DS) or the worst gaming platform (Android).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lamont posted:

While we're at it, what's the best way to play the main series these days? I see 1-3 have a collection on PC and PS4 - any idea if one platform is better than the other?

As far as I'm aware the collection is identical on all platforms but the Switch version has the touch screen which is nice. Some people argue that the redrawn characters in the HD version don't look as good as the original sprites but YMMV, and the alternative is to buy or :filez: the DS games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm impressed that they haven't come up with some terrible localised version of Naruhodo this time around.