Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I know its old Vertigo, but I just finished Sweet Tooth. Holy poo poo Jeff Lemire is a master. Consistently great stories that pull on my heartstrings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've caught up with the new doom patrol.

I'm feeling it now.
For once, it really feels like someone loves these characters, loved their adventures, and loved them for who they were and is letting them be themselves instead of making them act on someone else's terms. It's not trying to be as smart or dramatic as Morrison's run, it's just having fun, and it's honestly the best Doom Patrol comic in years for it.

With the sale coming on, I might do ANOTHER reread of Morrison's run with links to annotations of the comics I've come across, if anyone would be into that.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Good! I'm several issues behind, but I'm glad it's going well. I've got the Doom Patrol Silver Age omnibus sitting in shrink wrap waiting to be read too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Shovelmint posted:

Good! I'm several issues behind, but I'm glad it's going well. I've got the Doom Patrol Silver Age omnibus sitting in shrink wrap waiting to be read too.

It is really good. Get that unwrapped.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Well, you see, as an adult that got back into comics after he had disposable income I have lots of really good stuff to read, too much even. I'm sorta slowing down on picking up new series, because my back issue pile keeps rising. Had I not preordered that omnibus, I'd have never dared to add it to the pile for fear it would gain sentience and destroy me.

But I will definitely check it out soon....ish?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
There's going to be some sort of Young Animal/DCU crossover. More details later today.

https://www.newsarama.com/35515-sdcc-2017-dc-s-friday-press-breakfast.html

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Oh cool. I hope it isn't a too heavy of a crossover. I'm pretty sure all the YA books are in continuity but them being mostly independent is good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The next Doom Patrol's drawn by Mike Allred :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Vertigo comic from Tim Seeley, Imaginary Fiends.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclusive-reveal-vertigo-launches-sci-fihorror-title-imaginary-fiends-by-tim-seeley

quote:

“Polly Peachpit.” Those were the words ten-year-old Brinke Calle said when she was found covered in her own blood by the woods in rural Cannon Falls, MN. Her best friend, Melba, had just attempted to murder her because a spider girl named Polly Peachpit told her to. Since that day, Melba has spent seven years in a mental health facility. Tomorrow is her eighteenth birthday. Tomorrow, she’ll be transferred to a federal prison. Tomorrow, her real sentence will begin.

That is, until she receives a visit from FBI Agent Virgil Crockett. Crockett explains that there is another world beyond ours, where hungry spectral aliens stalk the minds of the impressionable and weak. These things, called IMPs (Interdimensional Mental Parasites) feed on compliance. They convince hosts to do things for them, and the more they feed, the stronger they become. More IMPs stream into the world each day, invisible to everyone but his or her hosts.

After years of drugs and counseling, Polly and Melba have developed a unique relationship—and to Crockett, this relationship represents something her people can work with. In exchange for release from prison, Crockett asks Melba (and Polly) to serve as IMP hunters. For Melba, it’s a chance to prove that she’s innocent, convinced to murder by a monster...a monster she must now unleash.
On sale NOVEMBER 15 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Oh, that might fill the gap left by the likes of Clean Room and The Black Friday Murders.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

New Vertigo and Young Animal series: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/07/dc-leaks-vertigo-young-animal-announcements-including-new-series-motherland-deathbed/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I know we had that picture of Superman as a milk man, but did we know the DCU/YA crossover was called Milk Wars? That's great.

Death Bed looks neat. I'll take some Rossmo gothic swamp horror. Yup.

edit: Sonny Liew on the new Young Animal series is fantastic. He was by far the best part of the last Dr Fate series.

e2: Here are the descriptions for the DCU/YA crossover

quote:

“Milk Wars” will mash up DC’s Young Animal with characters from the DC Universe, beginning with a JUSTICE LEAGUE/DOOM PATROL SPECIAL from Orlando and Way, followed by SHADE, THE CHANGING GIRL/WONDER WOMAN SPECIAL, MOTHER PANIC/BATMAN SPECIAL, CAVE CARSON/SWAMP THING SPECIAL and DOOM PATROL/JUSTICE LEAGUE SPECIAL. The weekly crossover adventure begins January 31.

And the new YA comic

quote:

ETERNITY GIRL, the new miniseries from Eisner and GLAAD-nominated writer Magdalene Visaggio (Kim & Kim) and Eisner award-winning artist Sonny Liew (The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye) follows Urania Blackwell, a former CIA agent who can’t die. Her only solution? Destroy the universe first. This six-issues series launches March 2018 from DC’s Young Animal.

I hope that acknowledges that it looks very Metamorpho.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 7, 2017

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So Milk Wars is missing from the January solicitations despite getting a date just over a week ago.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Barry Convex posted:

So Milk Wars is missing from the January solicitations despite getting a date just over a week ago.

disappointed they called it Milk Wars and not Crisis on Infinite Udders

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

More on Milk Wars with some art and more Frank Quitely covers.
https://www.avclub.com/young-animal-crosses-over-with-dc-icons-in-this-milk-w-1820475759/amp

quote:

“Milk Wars” is built around RetCo, an interdimensional corporation that steals stories, reconfigures them and repackages them for new markets.

quote:

JLA/Doom Patrol Special by Steve Orlando, Gerard Way, and ACO has the Doom Patrol meeting RetCo’s version of the Justice League, led by Milkman Man, the last son of Krypton raised by an evil dairy farmer.

quote:

Jody Houser and Ty Templeton’s Mother Panic/Batman Special introduces Father Bruce, an orphaned billionaire who has turned the traumatizing orphanage Gather House into a school for future Robins.

quote:

Cecil Castellucci and Mirka Andolfo’s Shade The Changing Girl/Wonder Woman Special makes Shade a servant of Wonder Wife.

quote:

Jon Rivera and Langdon Foss’ Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye/Swamp Thing Special has the two horror-influenced heroes teaming up to infiltrate RetCo from within, and the event wraps up with Doom Patrol/JLA Special, teaming Orlando and Way with Dale Eaglesham.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Milkman Man.

Milkman Man.

I'm completely sold just on that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

YA "relaunching" (with the exception of Doom Patrol?) after Milk Wars.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/14/gerard-way-young-animal-relaunch/

quote:

Beginning March 7, Shade has shed her alien identity, stepping out of her original Earth body into a new one. SHADE, THE CHANGING WOMAN begins as Loma, now free of the burdens of her past life, sets out to see more of her new home. But how will she cope when the madness she was forced to confront in the Milk Wars is now a mass of memory and confusion? To make things even more challenging, she’ll come face to face with the original Changing Man. Writer Cecil Castellucci and artist Marley Zarcone will continue to helm Loma’s adventures.

quote:

Then on March 21, after a year of multiverse-hopping, Cave Carson returns to a normal life of digging and cave-diving, but it just isn’t the same for the explorer. Time fast-forwards as Cave and his daughter Chloe are sucked into an all-new adventure—literally—when they go spelunking in a black hole! CAVE CARSON HAS AN INTERSTELLAR EYE continues with writer Jon Rivera and artist Michael Avon Oeming.

quote:

Then on March 28, follow Violet Paige as she finds herself in a Gotham City unlike anything she’s known before. MOTHER PANIC: GOTHAM A.D. begins ten years into the future, in a world without a Batman, with Gotham City now in the hands of a Collective. In a high-tech town with zero tolerance toward caped crusaders, what’s a woman who has vowed vengeance to do? The series is written by Jody Houser with art by Tommy Lee Edwards and Ibrahim Moustafa (SAVAGE THINGS).

Obviously, they're the same comics/creators with the titles slightly changed to reflect new arcs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JLA/Doom Patrol Milk Wars #1 preview: https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-jla-doom-patrol-special-1/

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I fell behind on YA, but how's Shade/Doom Patrol/Mother Panic? I stopped reading early last year.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if you stopped for any particular reason. I like 'em all, but they haven't changed much.
Mother Panic got John Paul Leon on art for three issues. That was neat. He's the guy doing Creature of The Night, which everyone should be reading right now.

Shade is still my top comic, but Cave Carson really went crazy bombastic wrapping up the 'season (or whatever.)' That was really fun.
edit: and super gross.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 10, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Milk Wars was obviously supposed to start after Doom Patrol #11. It's nothing huge where you can't just jump in where it is and extrapolate stuff, but Terry's given birth to "nothing", Retconn's launched a rocket at Earth and the Patrol escaped before this issue starts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Motherlands might be worth a look?? i dunno im kinda a sucker for multiple universe poo poo so im probably biased

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was initially a bit ehh on the all vulgarity for vulgarity's sake, but I bought into it by the end.
I'm super excited about Death Bed after getting reminded about it in the back ads.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah tbh while i was reading it i kinda got the impression the writer guy must really hate his mom lol

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Teenage Fansub posted:

I was initially a bit ehh on the all vulgarity for vulgarity's sake, but I bought into it by the end.
I'm super excited about Death Bed after getting reminded about it in the back ads.

Wait, as in The Bed That Eats?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

graybook posted:

Wait, as in The Bed That Eats?

Patton Oswalt's routine about that movie is great

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey I haven’t read anything but SaGa in years I had a couple questions:

Did Way ever finish Umbrella Academy or are the two trades the whole book?

I read most of 100 Bullets and The Exterminators in college, are they worth hinting down and finishing? I don’t think The Exterminators was Vertigo but it seems cut from the same cloth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

100 Bullets isn't even worth starting.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was like 6-7 books in and just about to see what happened in Atlantic City and then my local bookstore closed down and I got really into Warcraft. Now I’m writing a lot more and wanted to finish off my old faves. If it’s roughly the same quality I’ll look it up but if it nosedives I’ll avoid it.

The tiger side story was Pants-on-head though.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Jedit posted:

100 Bullets isn't even worth starting.

Dead wrong.

Exterminators was Vertigo and was cut short but finished I think.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s worth starting. Not sure it’s worth finishing though. I like the rando stories at the start a lot more than the ongoing one that develops.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s worth starting. Not sure it’s worth finishing though. I like the rando stories at the start a lot more than the ongoing one that develops.

I agree. The concept of the briefcase was really cool and led to some great stories. Then all the conspiracy stuff kicked in and bleh just another comic.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I think I'm going to give Young Animal another try. I tried a few of the entries in single form and it didn't hit me right, but I'm thinking at this point in my life I'm more of a splurge reader rather than waiting for singles type of person.

Anything I should know going in?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Anything I should know going in?

I think Doom Patrol kinda assumes you're familiar with Morrison's run and Flex Mentallo. I'm not sure it gives enough characterization to the returning cast for new readers, so I'd get on that, or at least read about the old characters.

The rest are pretty much good to go. Just understand that Shade and Cave Carson are returning worlds. They may refer to things, but nobody's expecting you to go dig out old Cave Carson comics. Mother Panic is wholly original (edit: except for a Batman villain that eventually joins the cast)

Bug, a post-launch miniseries, is a trip through lesser known Jack Kirby creations. You may want to look stuff up, but it's not necessary.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
According to the Nerdist, Netflix is getting an Umbrella Academy show

I’m so happy for Gerry, he’s got everything he ever wanted and all he had to do was become a world famous rockstar and marry his dream girl first before anyone would give him the time of day.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It's been in development for a while, Ellen Page is starring

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't like Umbrella Academy at all, but maybe the show will be better.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Death Bed #1 was very good. Riley Rossmo is a good art person, and I really like Williamson's indie stuff. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Also, dick.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
the Eternity Girl backups in Milk Wars have got me insanely excited for the mini to start proper, because, holy poo poo Sonny Liew can just do whatever the hell he wants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Death Bed is really good.

• Locked thread