Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It really was terrible, apart from what little we saw of the villains. The last page in particular could lead somewhere interesting, or it could collapse under a pile of incredible horseshit; too soon to tell but from what I've seen so far, probably the latter.

GM's Doom Patrol may have wacky dumb bullshit sometimes (the Sex Men are still deeply embarrassing) but from his very first issue, he established that there was going to be an emotional core. What we get from the protagonists this time around is a bunch of dumb stoner philosophy and a completely nonchalant treatment of the (apparent, and rather horrific) death of the woman's roommate. "Verrrrrry interesting! ... can I have his stuff?" Hahaha! Why, how wacky and free-spirited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Oh poo poo, how did I never figure out that that world might not be real after the point was driven into the ground repeatedly! poo poo poo poo poo poo!!! Good catch!!!!

You're right, my bad, that totally makes the characters tolerable and interesting and still not out of place for someone who at least recognizes the reality of the world enough to have some instinct to help (ambulance driver, collecting Cliff's parts) and engage with people. It's not like one of the themes of the GM series was that, regardless of the absurdity surrounding the characters, they find things to care about and hold onto them, regardless of how unreal they may or may not be.

It's entirely possible that the series arc may plan to draw her out of herself and motivate her to care, but the Manic Pixie Dream Girl encounter doesn't exactly help.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Shade was really good. I like the fresh angle it's taking on the protagonist's character; instead of being a wounded romantic like Shade, she's a bit shallow, selfish, not particularly creative or poetic (that we've seen so far), but wanting to understand the world through other people's art and at least capable of some desire for connection. A lot of interesting potential for character development there; the high school backdrop makes perfect sense as a setting for a search for identity. And the book's depiction of the Madness is fabulous.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Do we get to see more Metal Men? I think that's going to be the dealmaker for me

• Locked thread