Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I won't lie, I'm probably gonna pick up new Doom Patrol entirely because the band I really liked as a moody teen's lead singer is writing it. The rest of the Young Animal imprint actually looks really good, though (especially Mother Panic); what should I read to get ready for Way's DP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Considering I, at best, extremely disliked Batgirl of Burnside I think the pages of Shade look a whole lot better than BoB and doesn't tonally at all feel anything like BoB.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well, I'm off to go read 45 issues of Doom Patrol.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I'm at the beginning of Doom Patrol and I'm already worrying that this is Bad Morrison (or rather, Morrison Toxxupation Doesn't Like), where it's a bunch of super complicated concepts that felt written less to make an impact over "a thing Grant Morrison thinks is cool or super clever".

ed: If Cliff wasn't the main character I probably woulda quit this comic by now. As it stands his "Wow this sure is dumb crazy bullshit, I'm just gonna punch my way through it" attitude is the only thing keeping me going.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 11, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh no. You know, after hearing that Doom Patrol is "X-Men but super dark" (yes, yes I know that the latter was actually based off the former) I was hoping it'd center more on character relationship stuff and not double down on all the stuff I don't like about X-Men, namely all the crazily overcomplicated canon that feels just there for its own sake.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought you were being put off by cut-up technique scissorman dialogue, and such, which would be a worrying prospect.

Actually that's what I meant, like I'm strongly resisting rolling my eyes whenever the word "Orqwith" is mentioned. Canon was the wrong word, I meant more "plotting". I like Jane but I'm already getting the sense that she's the "as plot needs must" superhero - and that's one of the tropes of superhero comics I least like - Rebis is actually pretty cool, but it feels like all the character moments get crowded out by overwrought text boxes with Capitalized Nouns.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah after reading issue 25 - which was the first issue that worked on its own merits and I greatly enjoyed - I'm getting what sort of angle Morrison's demanding this comic be engaged on and can appreciate it on its own merits of being a surreal mess of ideas over a straight-line linear narrative like I've seen of all his other DC work.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Okay I got to The Painting That Ate Paris (which was an arc I greatly, greatly enjoyed) and I thought I sorta got the specific wavelength that Morrison's DP is operating on and it finally felt like it was clicking, where you just sort of let it wash over you and ignore all the nonsense words and phrases and explanations as the surreal nonsense it's trying to be, but then I got to that arc where it's that war and that was some of the toughest issues of comics I've ever read. Like, that arc of comics felt barely intelligible and like Morrison just stringing a bunch of words together in a rough version of a sequential order.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I meant the war where Cliff temporarily turns into a spider and it's resolved by both sides in a frantic race to destroy more elements of their culture.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finished Morrison's Doom Patrol. The final two issues are loving great, the final arc is loving wondrous to the point where it validates reading the whole run, but man alive is that a long and difficult road to travel to get there. I guess I end up feeling about Morrison's DP the same way I feel about his Batman run - where I'm split at best about it with some real frustrations with specific arcs within the run, although I enjoy and think the end to his DP run is a whole hell of a lot better than Batman, Incorporated volume 2.

It's weird though that I've found his failures in DP to not be like his failures when writing Batman or rear end or FC, where they're overly convoluted or complicated-for-complicated's-sake messes of story and internal theming, but when DP is unreadable - and it very, very often is - it's because it's an incomprehensible Dadaist nightmare where it literally feels like Morrison just randomly threw a bunch of barely-related words onto a page in something resembling sentences. It's just weird. Again, though, the ending being as strong as it was and his ability to essentially pull off two of them, one for the story and Cliff and another for Crazy Jane is some really impressive stuff. So yeah, guess I'm glad I read it, although this continues to be yet another Grant Morrison work I have mixed feelings about.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doom Patrol? Yeah, loved it. Carried over the dreamy quality of Morrison's run while actually feeling grounded and specific, and unlike a lot of Morrison's DP the humor didn't feel weirdly atonal or by accident.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

fatherboxx posted:

Doom Patrol was hot loving garbage that missed everything about the themes of Morrison/Case run and tried to play it with random zany bullshit instead.

Actually it was great. And you are putting on some heavily rose-tinted glasses if you don't think the Morrison run was full of random zany bullshit like, all the loving time. There are periods of the Morrison run where it's so very clearly Morrison making it up as he goes along it becomes nearly unreadable.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Really enjoyed Shade, but ( and this is probably due in at least some part to the fact that I've never read a shade comic in my life) it felt at time pretty goddamned incomprehensible to the point where I was rereading entire pages. Gotta stress that I really enjoyed it though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh madness is that reality bending stuff? I thought it was literal insanity expressed via reality bending, like the idea was you could throw on the trenchcoat and be anyone you wanted but the monkey's paw of it all was that its make you go nuts, which is made worse via the reality bending.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh god I just realized that Marvel basically can't put out a new Young Avengers comic ever again or the confusion will be enormous.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Things that I'm declaring a permanent moratorium on in DC comics:

1) Reduxes of the first couple of pages of Year One
2) Reduxes of the first page of rear end
3) Reduxes of the suicidal girl page of rear end
4) Reduxes of literally any segment of Watchmen
5) Reduxes of "the" fight sequence in TDKR

That being said, Mother Panic looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I fell behind on YA, but how's Shade/Doom Patrol/Mother Panic? I stopped reading early last year.

• Locked thread