Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

minimalist posted:

It really was terrible, apart from what little we saw of the villains. The last page in particular could lead somewhere interesting, or it could collapse under a pile of incredible horseshit; too soon to tell but from what I've seen so far, probably the latter.

GM's Doom Patrol may have wacky dumb bullshit sometimes (the Sex Men are still deeply embarrassing) but from his very first issue, he established that there was going to be an emotional core. What we get from the protagonists this time around is a bunch of dumb stoner philosophy and a completely nonchalant treatment of the (apparent, and rather horrific) death of the woman's roommate. "Verrrrrry interesting! ... can I have his stuff?" Hahaha! Why, how wacky and free-spirited!

Man, if only there was an explanation in the text as to why Casey might have a nonchalant attitude towards extremely weird and gruesome things happening to people in her vicinity. (There is. That whole thing about her mother flying into the sun, and her prom date turning into, and I'm gonna directly quote the book here, "a pool of lavender membrane". Pages 5 and 6.) Then there's the way the Casey pages put an extra emphasis on onomatopeia, which might clue you in to the fact Way, Derrington, Bonvillain and letterer Todd Klein are deliberately playing up the comic-book artificiality of what's happening, so as to highlight that something is off about this world.

If you're not gonna pay attention, if you're not gonna engage with the book, it might not be the thing for you. To dismiss what's there as "wacky dumb bullshit" is missing a lot of what makes that issue good.

PS: My Chemical Romance is about as sincere a band as there ever was. "I'm Not Okay (I Promise" is meant to be taken absolutely seriously. It's melodramatic, for sure, but, it's entirely earnest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
the Eternity Girl backups in Milk Wars have got me insanely excited for the mini to start proper, because, holy poo poo Sonny Liew can just do whatever the hell he wants

• Locked thread