Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
If your first reaction to Doom Patrol is to engage in literal plot analysis and try to break things down into "canon", you just might be fundamentally broken as a human being. This is a noted side effect of having read too many crossovers and lovely event comics. You will find that it's actually a very linear and straightforward book when you stop trying to decode every scissorman dialogue balloon and just roll with the energy of the thing.

The world of the Doom Patrol is not rational, nothing fits together quite right. It's a beautiful, strange roller coaster ride into the subconscious where the only logic is dream logic. Doom Patrol is not a melodramatic soap opera like the X-Men, but it is entirely about the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
The war in space arc? I think it's pretty commonly regarded as the low point of the book. It takes awhile to get going and is a little heavy on the ratio of exposition to humor which probably leaves it feeling out of balance with the rest of the book. That said I think it reads a lot better the second time around when the allegory is made clear. You can see that it's a kind of prototype for later meditations on transcending Manichaean dualities that he'd revisit in Invisibles, JLA, Superman Beyond, etc. Part commentary on comics obsession with interpreting text as scripture, part externalization of Morrison's first experience with shrooms. It's got one of those great fourth wall moments where the cardinal of the Insect Mesh says a prayer of communion to try and summon the Divine into their world and ends with a close-up of the cardinal staring out at the reader to "gaze upon thy majesty!" (Heaven revealed to be our world, of course) It's cool.

Anyways he writes the rest of the book "mostly straight" and it should pick up for from there. The improvisational style of the book means it's kind of uneven by nature but its all worth reading and the ending is fantastic.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Yeah that's the one.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Loved it.

Niles Caulder is being loving weird, Cliff has had enough of your pocket universe poo poo, and I really like these new characters. The backwards ambulance text suggests that Casey is in some kind of dream world. When Cliff triggers the nuclear apocalypse he flings himself into her reality, and Danny through the window of the celestial superhero. Are the Brotherhood of Fast Food a part of Casey's world, or some other dimension? Is it all just a song on Niles Caulder's piano? I don't know. There are layers to this thing. Like a burrito.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Huh, TIL. That makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Gerard Way already did his take on a Morrison-like Doom Patrol, it's called Umbrella Academy and it's good. Doom Patrol 2016 is a self-conscious attempt to do something different without retreading the same ground. What exactly that is remains to be seen after all of 1 issue.

fatherboxx posted:

the aging emo band vocalist who doesn't have a sincere thought in his skull.

I don't even know what could inspire this kind of vitriol. Are you having a bad week?

• Locked thread