Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Starting this month, DC Comics are putting out a line curated by My Chemical Romance lead singer and writer of Umbrella Academy, Gerard Way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrgx-I-LTGc

The four comic initial line-up is headed up with Way's own 'Doom Patrol', a comic who's radical reinvention by Grant Morrison in the late 80's and early 90's paved the way for DC's much celebrated mature comics line, Vertigo (more on them in a sec.) A similar revival at the time was Peter Milligan's 'Shade, The Changing Man', which is also getting a new spin here, and Cave Carson is an ancient and forgotten DC hero getting dug up in that Vertigo tradition, so the influence is pretty obvious with this thing.

Here's Grant Morrison making a cameo in an old MCR video to shoot Gerard in the head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTgnDLWeeaM&t=203s
He's probably the dude for the job.

The comics!

DOOM PATROL

Written by Gerard Way, art by Nick Derington
Begins September 14 2016

quote:

A blenderized reimagining of the ultimate series of the strange, DOOM PATROL combines elements from classic runs, new directions, and things that could not be. Our entry point is Casey Brinke, a young EMT on the graveyard shift to abstract enlightenment, with a past so odd that she’s not entirely sure what is real and what is not. Along with her partner, Sam Reynolds, the pair blaze a path through the city and its denizens, finding the only quiet that exists at 3am is the chaos of the brain. When the pair answer a hit-and-run call, they find themselves face to face with a familiar figure: Cliff Steele, AKA Robotman.

SHADE, THE CHANGING GIRL

Written by Cecil Castellucci (The P.L.A.I.N. Janes), art by Marley Zarcone (Effigy, Forgetless)
Begins October 5 2016

quote:

Far away on the planet Meta, Loma's going nowhere fast. She's dropped out of school, dumped her boyfriend, and is bored out of her mind. She longs to feel things. That's where her idol, the lunatic poet Rac Shade, and his infamous madness coat come it. Loma steals the garment and makes a break across galaxies to take up residence in a new body: Earth girl Megan Boyer. Surely everything will be better on this passionate primitive planet with a dash of madness on her side and this human girl's easy life. Only now that she's here, Loma discovers being a teenaged Earth girl comes with its own challenges and Earth may not be everything she thought it'd be. Megan Boyer was a bully whom everyone was glad was almost dead, and now Loma has to survive High School and navigate the consequences of the life she didn't live with the ever-growing and uncontrollable madness at her side. Not to mention that there are people back on her homeworld who might just want Shade's coat back.

CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE

Written by Jon Rivera & Gerard Way, art by Michael Avon Oeming (Powers)
Begins October 19 2016

quote:

Cave Carson has done it all: survived countless adventures below the Earth's surface, met the love of his life, and gotten a cybernetic eye...somehow. After he and his wife, Eileen, sent their only daughter Chloe off to college, Cave was ready to become just another mundane member of the surface world. That is, until Eileen got sick. Newly widowed, Cave tries to piece his life back together when a knock on the door of his secret underground lab pulls him back into a past that he and Eileen thought they had left buried deep within the Earth.
Adding to his troubles, Cave must determine if his recent hallucinations and visions are the work of his mind or his mysterious cybernetic eye. (Spoiler: It's the eye.)
Including in a backup, the real star of the show…
SUPER POWERS
Written and drawn by Tom Scioli (American Barbarian, Transformers Vs. GI Joe)!!!

Details are slim on exactly what this is. Presumably just Scioli going nuts on DC.

MOTHER PANIC

Written by Jody Houser (Faith), art by Tommy Lee Edwards (Marvel 1985, Bullet Points, Turf)
Begins November 9 2016

quote:

Meet Violet Paige, a celebutante with a bad attitude and a temper to match, who no one suspects of having anything lying beneath the surface of her outrageous exploits. But Violet isn't just another bored heiress in the upper echelons of Gotham City's elite. Motivated by her traumatic youth, Violet seeks to exact vengeance on her privileged peers as the terrifying new vigilante known only as Mother Panic.

Now let's see about Vertigo it's self.

Last year Vertigo released a number of limited series including the wonderful 'Twilight Children' from Gilbert Hernandez and Darwyn Cooke (RIP), Tom King and Mitch Gerads' 'Sheriff of Babylon' and 'Unfollow' from Rob Williams and Michael Dowling, as well as Paul Dini's fantastic autobiographical Graphic Novel "Dark Night: A True Batman Story'

Despite some high acclaim for these comics in particular, interest and sales were reportedly much lower than expected, which resulted in long time editor Shelly Bond's controversial firing.
http://www.comicsbeat.com/vertigo-restructures-shelly-bond-let-go/ http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/21/waking-up-to-a-vertigo-without-shelly-bond/
The future is certainly uncertain for Vert. As the remaining 2015 series are winding down, there hasn't been news of a whole new slate to replace them, however there are at least one imminent original series, a sequel to a cult classic film, and a spin-off of good ol' Fables heading our way.

FROSTBITE

Written by Joshua Williamson (Birthright, The Flash), art by Jason Shawn Alexander (Abe Sapien: The Drowning)
Begins September 28 2016

quote:

Long after Earth has entered its second ice age, humanity has learned to cope with the frozen elements. In this cold and bleak future, heat is power, and brutal gangs roam the icy wasteland looking for it. If that wasn’t enough, a terrible disease nicknamed “frostbite” is literally freezing people from the inside out. Once you catch it, the effect is instantaneous. There is no immunity, there is no cure.

Until now. Doctor Henry Bonham and his daughter Victoria have found the key to ending frostbite. If they can get from Mexico City to a secret government outpost in Alcatraz, they could stabilize life across the globe. But to do that they’ll need to stay alive. That’s where Keaton comes in. She and her crew have faced worse journeys before, but never with the potential consequences this one poses if they fail.

THE LOST BOYS

Written by Tim Seeley (Grayson, Hack/Slash) art by Scott Godlewski (Copperhead)
Begins October 12 2016

quote:

Santa Carla, California is on edge. The eccentric coastal town and haven for the undead was finally returning to "normal" after its last supernatural scuffle left the local coven's head vampire dead and gave newcomers Michael and Sam Emerson a housewarming both violent and bizarre. Now the brothers must once again team up with militant vampire hunters Edgar and Allan Frog when a new gang of ruthless, stunning, life-sucking nightcrawlers known as the Blood Belles emerges from the aftermath to collect Michael's love interest and their lost sister, Star.

EVERAFTER

Written by Matthew Sturges & Dave Justus, art by Travis Moore
Begins September 7 2016

quote:

From the team that brought you FABLES: THE WOLF AMONG US comes a new chapter of the FABLES legacy! In a post-Fables world where magic abounds, it can be wielded for the greater good or used to plant the seeds of anarchy and terrorism. The Shadow Players are a global network of agents-both Fable and mundane-tasked with policing a newly enchanted world and protecting humanity from itself. EVERAFTER features the return of series favorites Bo Peep, Peter Piper, Hansel, and Connor Wolf, as well as exciting new characters and a terrifying new villain! Written by FABLES: THE WOLF AMONG US veterans Matthew Sturges and Dave Justus with gorgeous art by Travis Moore (Fables: The Wolf Among Us, JLA All Stars), you won’t want to miss this series that FABLES creator Bill Willingham himself told us we had to get into your hands as quickly as possible!

Meantime, read Sheriff and Unfollow, ya dummies!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

While we wait, Comixology just posted a handy digital sale on Morrison's Doom Patrol, Milligan's Shade, and some minor appearances with Cave Carson

https://www.comixology.com/Intro-to-Young-Animals-Sale/page/11917?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw&list12883_pg=1

Doom Patrol reading club? I just finished the Morrison omnibus today and think I'll go right back to the My Greatest Adventure start. Then maybe give the post Morrison Vertigo issues a fair shot.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 6, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Is Clean Room still going on? Heard that was a solid new Vertigo title.

It's got three more issues solicited. That and Unfollow are still going past November. I thought it was pretty interesting, but dropped off.
There are more of last year's books worth looking at, but I wanted to keep it brief.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Is Survivor's Club officially shot?

It ended with #9.

Anyone pick up Everafter? Looking here it seems to be getting good reviews http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/vertigo/everafter/1

Some great new Young Animal variants just got revealed http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/08/31/exclusive-first-look-dc-comics-october-young-animal-variant-cove/

Mike/Laura Allred for Doom Patrol #2 with the original, team featuring Beast Boy.

Tula Lotay for Shade #1

Bill Sienkiewicz for Cave Carson #1

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 8, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Morrison's Doom Patrol and Way's Umbrella Academy.

You'll get a sense of the silver age DP in some flashback at the end of the run (and that stuff isn't on Comixology anyway.)

Way's said his comic is a mish-mash of the whole history, but I kinda doubt any of the more recent stuff will factor in.

e: In fact, with a gray haired Crazy Jane in the ads in this month's comics, I'd say reading Morrison's is highly recommended.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shade #1 preview http://www.cbr.com/shade-the-changing-girl-1/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have you tired Snotgirl? It has a completely saccharine girly appearance which hides a really dark story. No reason this couldn't be similar.
Though I could dig it just being light and colourful too.

Doom Patrol preview http://uproxx.com/entertainment/gerard-way-doom-patrol-exclusive-preview/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 11, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If the opening arc is too much nonsense for you, oh boy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The canon, like the history of the team? That's barely there. It just starts off picking up from the previous volume killing everyone off (or something. I haven't actually read the previous 18 issues.)
The bandage guy was a pilot merged with some negative energy spirit, one girl is in a coma, I think and the black dude used to be a superhero and now refuses to use powers. It definitely doesn't bog the thing down going forward. I'm sure 99% of people hadn't read any Doom Patrol before this run.

I thought you were being put off by cut-up technique scissorman dialogue and such, which would be a worrying prospect.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's his Tim Allen impression.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Now it's time to barge Flex Mentallo before the new comic's out :)
https://www.comixology.com/Flex-Mentallo/comics-series/20769?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

edit: Doom Patrol #1 verdict: great fun

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 14, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just slap the gyro sticker on a plain white T :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You try it yet, Toxx?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye #1 preview http://www.newsarama.com/31181-preview-cave-carson-has-a-cybernetic-eye-1.html#s1

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Vertigo-60-Off-Sale/page/12447?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Every run of Doom Patrol seems to be drastically different (Maybe less so Morrison-to-Pollack, but that was in the same series).
Known as Way is for worshiping GMo, I'm glad this isn't really an imitation of those comics.

e: Like, I'm starting with the Pollack run now. It's not bad, but the obvious attempt to carry on Morrison's storytelling style makes me wish it had more of it's own voice. Hopefully that eventually emerges.

How were John Arcudi and John Byrne's versions, by the way? They're missing from Comixology along with the original run.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 29, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm sorry he was in a band you don't like :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LOVED Shade Girl. Maybe more than DP, but that's still getting it's self together.
The contrast between the super goofy Alien teens and the serious, troubled Earth kids story is really good.
Also, there's a little Gilbert/Natalia Hernandez and Laura Allred backup comic.

Aces.

edit: New Vertigo miniseries announced. 'The American Way: Those Above and Those Below', a sequel to '12 Years a Slave' writer John Ridley's original 'The American Way.'
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/05/john-ridley-american-way-sequel

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 5, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup. This is the Vertigo thread.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm just imagining a new reader experience, but I don't think it's unapproachable, or gives you too little.

There's a planet where the creatures have a basic romanticized/50's sitcom view of Earth. There was a guy/hero/poet who'd previously used this technicolor dream coat to interface with the planet, but he's viewed as an old irrelevant folk tale/museum piece except to this one teen who's way into it.
She jacks the costume and takes on the life of a comatose Earth girl, but a force of 'madness' comes with the process that effects the world around her.
Back on the planet, some lady in authority who you don't need to know was Shade's original love interest yet is concerned.

\/ Oh, I'm sure the madness/reality shaping is influenced by the user/host's own mindstate. Like, that lady in charge is probably gonna be able to chase after her without making stuff wacky.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 6, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From the YA Comic Con panel
http://www.newsarama.com/31408-nycc-16-dcs-young-animal-panel.html

quote:

Doom Patrol #2 has a variant cover by Mike Allred. "Mike and Laura are amazing," Way said. "Mike is also going to be doing a fill-in issue of Doom Patrol, that is going to kick off the second arc... that's going to be a lot of fun."

:toot:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

the confusion will be enormous.

Nobody seems to be thinking in terms of brand name awareness around this project.
DC just solicited a family friendly comic called "Super Powers," the same title as Tom Scioli's backups, and the name "Young Animal" itself should have been nixed after a routine Google image search :nws:https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=%...iw=1069&bih=942 :nws:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 8, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone get the new American Vampire anthology?

edit: Or Lost Boys?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 13, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mother Panic #1 preview
http://www.newsarama.com/31560-early-preview-gotham-s-newest-vigilante-mother-panic-complicates-batman-s-life.html

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cave Carson was just okay. I'm not yet a fan of this Powers artist guy and the story wasn't too interesting yet, but the last page reveal could certainly promise something more.

The Super Powers backup was the biggest let down for me. I was expecting amusing, weird, self contained vignettes, but we get two stories across three pages that just end terribly abruptly without any punchline, so I guess it's not exactly going to be that.
I suppose he's just building the world bit by bit and it'll pay off, and his takes on the characters are visually quite interesting (dandy Wonder Twins, Joker's face is in a mallet), but so far it was sadly flat.
If it was a bit longer than three pages, that might have helped.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We'll see about the story, but Mother Panic looked amazing.
Now that Doom Patrol is settling into it's plot threads, I dunno if it's as exciting for me as it seemed in the first issue with concepts flying all over the place with little explanation, but the Danny Comics portion in today's issue was great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/11/10/season-2-the-sheriff-of?sf41971950=1

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Really liked Cave Carson this issue, as well as the backup. I can't hate on Flippa Dippa investigating the Rock of Eternity.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC's digital BOGO sale covers Vertigo and Young Animal. Pile up.
https://www.comixology.com/DC-Buy-One-Get-One-Sale/page/13251?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Vertigo series from Justin Jordan.
http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/1181371-exclusive-jordan-moustafas-savage-things-comes-vertigo

quote:

2016 may be winding down, but Vertigo Comics is getting ready to kick off the new year with a bang! CraveOnline is proud to exclusively announce that writer Justin Jordan (The Legacy of Luther Strode) and artist Ibrahim Moustafa (High Crimes) are teaming up for Savage Things, a new eight-issue miniseries from Vertigo!

But who or what are the Savage Things? Within the world of this series, a secret organization within the U.S. government identifed children who displayed the potential to be remorseless killers over 25 years ago. The decision was made to kidnap these children and turn them into the ultimate agents of chaos who could destablize countries around the world while remaining hidden in plain sight. And in our first look at Moustafa’s pages from Savage Things # 1, we see one of the kids as he is recruited into something that will change his life forever
When the story picks up in the present, the surviving children of the program are still very much active and against the government that turned against them and attempted to eliminate them as well. Now, the only hope for the U.S. is to recall “Abel,” the only man to ever successfully get away from the program. Of course, that’s assuming that he’s willing to save us.

“I’ve always loved spy thrillers and horror, but I haven’t seen a lot that melds the two genres,” shared Jordan in a statement. “We’ve seen in the real world how easy it is for a handful of people to bring the gears of civilization grinding to a halt by spreading shock and fear. Those are amateurs. Imagine what we’d get if there were a group of people—brilliant, gifted people—whose entire lives had been training them to spread fear to destabilize a society. That was horrifying to me. Terrifying to me. And that’s what Savage Things is about. It’s about the weapons we create being turned on us.”

“Justin and I are aiming to deliver a high level of intrigue and excitement, with a flavor that is unique to Vertigo and the comics medium,” added Moustafa. “As a visual storyteller, I have drawn a lot of inspiration from comics like Scalped, The Losers, and Sleeper. Additionally, my love of movies like the James Bond films, The Bourne Identity, John Wick, and Hanna will be evident as well. On top of that, we are honored to have John Paul Leon doing covers for the series.”

Savage Things # 1 will be released in comic shops and through digital outlets on Wednesday, March 1, 2017.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

January 25th (slipping from the original Dec 14th date) at last report
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/12/28/doom-patrols-gerard-way-thanks-understanding-things-take-little-extra-time/
http://www.dccomics.com/comics/doom-patrol-2016/doom-patrol-4

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shovelmint posted:

Not sure if Doom Patrol is even at my store, but I guess if they're only publishing quarterly anymore, it's easy to keep up with that title.

It's not. Just delayed.

In April, we get guest artists for everything except Cave Carson, which gets Superman instead.
http://www.newsarama.com/32735-allred-sauvage-superman-what-join-gerard-way-s-young-animal-in-april-2017-solicitations.html

Mike Allred Doom Patrol!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AHHHHH!!!
http://www.avclub.com/article/allred-family-pays-tribute-jack-kirby-young-animal-250254
The Bug: The Adventures Of Forager. From Lee, Laura and Mike Allred!

a miniseries bringing back this dope from Kirby's New Gods.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno. Fits to me. Allred's all about oddballs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone try Savage Things?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm not sure Giffen's run carries much acclaim at all. All you'll ever hear about is the Morrison's and maybe the original.
e: Saying that, I'd really like to try Arcudi's series. That's the one they don't care enough to put on Comixology.

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: I'm thinking about dropping Shade. 6 issues in and the art is gorgeous, but I'm not thrilled by the story.

I'm really looking forward to the storyline shifting to Gotham next act.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 22, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doom Patrol is on hold after issue 6 (the Mike Allred drawn one) until further notice.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/29/gerard-ways-doom-patrol-cancelled-6-now/

I'm guessing the art can't keep up and we'll get someone new. Shame.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I can't imagine it sells any worse than the rest of the YA line. If nothing's happening to them, I wouldn't worry about it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From the YA panel at Wondercon, Doom Patrol #7 will be released in July.

And Bug will kick off an event later in the year which will tie the comics together in some way.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/31/young-animal-crossover-coming-fall-young-animal-gerard-way-wondercon-panel/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC's putting out a YA 'mixtape' for Record Store Day that consists of a picture disc record with Way's Cave Carson songs, and an exclusive Mike Allred drawn mini comic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSmZ7ESAMCn/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSnS4SQAPdH/

• Locked thread