Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a bone to pick posted:

I refuse to call anything a "dongle"

A dongle is a hardware license key. An adapter is just an adapter not a dongle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

How much room does a physical button take vs. that taptic engine thingy

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

How much room does a physical button take vs. that taptic engine thingy

They removed a headphone jack to make room for a worse implementation of the home button.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

What would have been truly revolutionary is if they got rid of the headphone jack and used the extra space to add a BACK and a MENU button to the goddamn phone.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The iPhone 7 has the wrong RAM.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

thathonkey posted:

if you use the headphone jack in your care, the adapter pretty much solves that problem for you other than now you can't charge it which sucks but you can at least by another adapter that splits it so you can charge and listen at the same time. it's lovely but not the end of the world for you.

if you use the headphone jack on the go as headphones are commonly used for then having to remember to carry around an adapter just in case you might want to put headphones on somewhere is ridiculous. i guess now you have to buy wireless headphones (apple's look completely gay of course and probably sound like garbage just like all of their audio)

luckily i don't really do the latter because i never leave my house. in my car i have bluetooth because i'm not poor. iphones are time and time again proven to not be for poors which is why people who dont have them envy them so much and try to nitpick over the smallest issues and create a huge deal about them.

Source your quotes

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What would have been truly revolutionary is if they got rid of the headphone jack and used the extra space to add a BACK and a MENU button to the goddamn phone.

Functionality isn't cool though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Excuse me but having back buttons is BAD INTERFACE DESIGN

*double taps home button to remove half the screen lol*

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
So i was chatting with a friend and the little splitter thing that lets you charge and use the headphones at the same time costs $40

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
does the new home button feel drastically diffrent or what

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

zen death robot posted:

you could just buy some bluetooth headphones too

He has some $300 headphones he wants to use. He also owns an ipad pro. Oh and an enormous rose gold panerai the size of a small hubcap which doesnt really match the rose gold apple stuff.

He is not good with money.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
rose gold is ugly as gently caress especially for a guy to have

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
He is also more of a former coworker than a close friend

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

thathonkey posted:

rose gold is ugly as gently caress especially for a guy to have

Mind you this is on a 5'6" balding jewish man with extremely unruly chest hair

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

so how long until the ipone is just a small glass cube with no ports or buttons that just tells you what to do all day and cuts you if you touch the edges

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zen death robot posted:

it kinda feels like you're clicking the whole bottom of the phone, but nothing actually moves

Apple decided including a vibrator was a groundbreaking design decision.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VectorSigma posted:

so how long until the ipone is just a small glass cube with no ports or buttons that just tells you what to do all day and cuts you if you touch the edges

It will monitor your vital signs but only if used as a suppository. If it is removed from the rectum it will enter lock mode until reinserted (for your safety)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
apparently i can trade my iphone SE and get a 7 for free so i probably will. is the home button easy to get used to i dont really care about the headphone jack

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Serious question, do American phone plans not offer steep discounts on iphones when you sign up for new contracts? I get a new phone every couple of years on my basic plan, I think I pay about $5 over the monthly cost of the plan for handset repayments and it comes with whatever phone happens to be the latest one. The iPhone release schedule seems to coincide with my contract expiring so I get a new phone every two years. And the $5 is because I wanted a plus instead of the basic phone.

Getting a new phone isn't a status symbol in Australia, it just means your contract ran out and you signed up for a new contract.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serrath posted:

Serious question, do American phone plans not offer steep discounts on iphones when you sign up for new contracts? I get a new phone every couple of years on my basic plan, I think I pay about $5 over the monthly cost of the plan for handset repayments and it comes with whatever phone happens to be the latest one. The iPhone release schedule seems to coincide with my contract expiring so I get a new phone every two years. And the $5 is because I wanted a plus instead of the basic phone.

Getting a new phone isn't a status symbol in Australia, it just means your contract ran out and you signed up for a new contract.

US phone companies have changed the contract system over the last year or so to give away less free goodies.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

CaptainSarcastic posted:

3 buttons? that sounds confusing

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

is this the one that blows up and burns people because too bad if not

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

that would be the newest flagship samsung phone, this phone offers you the ability to go gently caress yourself

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ive never wished for extra buttons on my iphone why do you need a dedicated back button

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes

thathonkey posted:

ive never wished for extra buttons on my iphone why do you need a dedicated back button

ITT Android users who are too st00pid to figure out the various ways to go back in their individual mobile apps

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Apple UI is super loving stupid. Like really dumb.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when one of my nerd-rear end samsung friends was like "I'm mad they removed the camera button". loving lol if you need a dedicated camera button on your smartphone.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

Apple UI is super loving stupid. Like really dumb.

actually it's like world class intuitive

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

world class tiles on screen on ios

world class screens with more tiles on anroid

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: world class except when you consider all the old grandmas who are apparently their target who know nothing about all the gestures and just slowly poke things one at a time and mash the home button over and over again to get anywhere

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

That's like every phone

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I'm saddened that WebOS never made it. It truly was the best mobile OS.

The second though is Windows Phone. Microsoft is just stupid and bad with making a flagship phone every year.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

When people look wistfully back at Windows phone, were they talking about WP7?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

When people look wistfully back at Windows phone, were they talking about WP7?

7 was amazing, 8.1 was awesome as well. 10 was actually a gigantic shift from ce to full windows, but that process was incredibly painful and stagnated the platform.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Didn't MS just drop WP7 support and refuse to update older phones to 8 and shrugged their shoulders when people complained

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

That's like every phone

Yeah, You can only cram so much power right now before you start getting instability and heat issues. Samsung Galaxy s7 was only on the market for 5 months before those stories of batteries exploding or catching fire started happening. Who knows, we could see the same thing happen with the iPhone, they tend to be made at the same places.

KKKoras
Sep 18, 2016

by zen death robot

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, You can only cram so much power right now before you start getting instability and heat issues. Samsung Galaxy s7 was only on the market for 5 months before those stories of batteries exploding or catching fire started happening. Who knows, we could see the same thing happen with the iPhone, they tend to be made at the same places.

ur a loving human being with lovely opinions and the wit of a rake. it sucks to tell you this but you belong here just not anywhere else and not for money

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

KKKoras posted:

ur a loving human being with lovely opinions and the wit of a rake. it sucks to tell you this but you belong here just not anywhere else and not for money

Calm down, Dare.

KKKoras
Sep 18, 2016

by zen death robot
kevin boner is a loving human being and so is paul calahan. career losers and mic liars. gently caress those fags ban them and their lovely opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
ultimate meltdown

• Locked thread