Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've been an iphone user for years. I also use the included headphones a lot because I make a lot of calls to clients and people I know personally when I'm on the road, and it's a lot easier to do that with headphones. Plus calls sound clearer in stereo.

No way in hell I'm getting the new iphone. Not being able to charge the phone while I'm on a call that could last hours is a deal breaker for me, especially down the road when the phone' s battery loses a bunch of capacity and I still need to be on the phone and use GPS at the same time.

Switching to Android has never been an easier choice than it is right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

you better be careful, all the iphone users in the last apple thread said they didn't want to spend ten hours flashing ROMs and using boot images to use their phone. Android is apparently the most complicated thing ever.

lol

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

I don't think that's illegal?

Also if you're talking with clients for hours I can see wanting some crisper audio versus the car speakers and stuff.

Yeah I've never liked bluetooth car audio integration. There's never any high frequencies so calls are always really muffled sounding and every other thing out of your mouth is "what? I'm sorry what was that again?" and the volume/dynamic range is terrible so you either can't hear calls at all or they're blasting you out of the car.

Headphones are better in that one specific, yet valid, instance I think.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

RedMage129 posted:

Features that increase the overall usable lifespan of your phone are bad for business.

Unless an increase in usable lifespan is a desirable and competitive enough feature that it increases your sales enough to counterbalance the lost future sales.

In other words, sometimes making an actual quality product is a good and profitable thing.

Then again Apple already has enough market share and cultural influence aka guaranteed loyal customers aka suckers that it doesn't have to worry so much about stuff like that.

It's weird how to break into a market and gain market share you have to build an excellent product all around for competition's sale but for retaining established market dominance it seems like you have to do the opposite: make whizbang gadgety toys with as short of a lifespan as possible to keep your loyal sucker customers buying as often as possible while the gettin's good.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Where is Steve Jerbs in this pic, or is he in hell

There are no handicapped spots for him to park on in heaven.

He had to find somewhere else.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I didn't know they said the headphone jack couldn't handle "HD" audio. Is that real? Did they really say that?

Because a headphone jack is analog. It's just metal. It can handle infinite bandwidth, or at least right up until it's moving so many electrons that it physically melts from the heat, which thanks to the kinds of signals it transfers it is incapable of doing that. The connector has literally nothing to do with bandwidth or the "HDness" of a system. It is a physical extension of the headphone wires, which even the new wireless earbuds have, they're just really short and only exist inside the earbuds themselves, but they still have them. Literally every speaker in existence has metal cables or wire that connect it to the thing providing the electricity that moves the speakers. All the bandwidth processing and stuff happens in the digital to analog converters, which are entirely separate things.

Basically I'm either gullible and missed the joke or Apple is outright lying, which would be shocking for a large corporation to do I know.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

:lol: Apple is apparently sending surveys to Macbook Pro users asking if they use the headphone jack

I have a MBP and I use the headphone jack almost every goddamn day. Apple's built-in speakers aren't absolute trash for laptop speakers but obviously they don't hold a candle to actual headphones, not to mention FaceTime or other video calls are tons easier to hear with headphones and ear buds and tons easier for the person on the other end to hear me when I talk through the built in mic on the earbuds.

Also, if you use the built in microphone and type literally anything with the keyboard while on the call, the person on the other end will think you're in the middle of a loving avalanche.

What loving idiot rear end in a top hat at Apple has convinced themselves that headphone jacks are some ancient relic of the past and not one of the most useful ports ever designed for transferring sound.

edit: oh right, they don't actually believe that. They just want every part of their devices to be completely owned by them. I was about to make a joke about how they'll probably try and redesign RJ45 network ports so they'll own that too but then I remembered they've already removed those from their laptops so who the gently caress knows.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 15, 2016

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
http://i.imgur.com/zKeqQRV.mp4

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Apple tracks how many times you stick things in there, why the gently caress do they need to ask users if they do use it or not?

They're probably specifically targeting people who never use that jack so that when people inevitably call them loving stupid for removing the jacks from the MBPs they can say "but but but all these totally unbiased surveys THE PUBLIC filled out told us nobody ever uses them."

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

notZaar posted:

Honestly when do you ever have the headphones on while you're charging? You don't listen to your music through the computer?

Yeah what kind of crazy and impossible situation would you have to find yourself in to want to use headphones AND charge your phone at the same time? Besides of course when you're using GPS in your car and headphones on a call because cars are noisy and you want to be able to use both hands to drive, and you need the phone on a charger because GPS + phone calls use more battery power than Hillary Clinton's metal vibrator that fell out of her big wet pussy onto the street.

Or literally any situation where you want to use that fancy screen while also having a conversation you want to hear better or don't want the rest of the world to hear.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 15, 2016

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Germstore posted:

music is a distraction for the poor. and lol at having a device hold your appointments. I mean, a device can hold the appointments but if you don't have a human updating you on your meetings for the day just lol just lol.

sincerely,
germstore

dictated but not read.

Ah yes my good man I too spend my time between reading stock tickers and surveying my domain from my helicopter to makes posts on forums.somethingawful.com as dictated by my personal secretary, a unicorn with genetically engineered typing fingers and a brain to use them.

a retard posted:

and they wouldn't have had to do that if they stopped trying to make their phones thinner after the 5. nobody's given a poo poo about how thin their phone is for years

I've always wondered about this too. Who the gently caress is Apple making their phones thinner for? Why is thinness the number 1 priority? Who gives a poo poo? Yay my phone will now bend in my pocket or if it's out of my pocket and I look at it funny.

Then again, it's Apple fans we're talking about here. They'll squeal with glee about literally anything they're told they should be excited about.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 15, 2016

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Germstore posted:

I read this post from my yacht. My personal assistant is on the shore with semaphore flags.

You mean you're reading this forums.somethingawful.com thread from just your regular yacht and not your space yacht?

How gauche.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Apple users are the people who see the toilet paper hanging under instead of over and say "this is fine."

They say "why is the toilet paper like that? Is that a good idea?" and Apple says "no, you like it like that. That way is innovative. Also we invented toilet paper" and apple users then say "wow yes you're right we like it like that. And we're so glad you invented toilet paper."

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

personable decorum posted:

i dumpstered many a nickleback album before i picked up a hello magazine and read about avril and chad's marriage and friendship. unfortunately some people really were offended by it and pr had pushback. arguably avril is a confused girl but incredibly adrenal when she's on. hopefully she's found her muse and stability now but people like her are rare to settle. all in all we've been planning a big island move for quite some time and we're in the omega era as it's been done a few times now.

everyone wanted a christ figure just without the whole permanent death in Christianity thing

Who?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cool_tony posted:

I can't work unless I have my 8 button logitech gaming mouse

I can't argue unless I have my exaggerated strawman tactic.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Apple fans literally believe that unlike every other company in the world, Apple makes magical space products from the future that will make all your problems go away and that to doubt or question anything they do is to DOUBT OR QUESTION THE MARCH OF HUMAN PROGRESS and it's hilarious

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

Here's a real issue with the i7, grok this poo poo you fagotty fucks

https://mobile.twitter.com/imyke/status/776916630643302402

Apparently you can't use the iPhone 7 home button if you're wearing gloves

aaaahahahahaha

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

iPhone 7's home button is straight up just a capacitive sensor. No travel or mechanical switch to it.

So brave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

loquacius posted:

I know one of these people, he also bought a bunch of MBP peripherals (all Apple-made ofc) like a super-fancy dock and an expensive monitor he doesn't need, with his own money, and brought them in to work

He's one of those types of nerd that still lives in an Ikea-furnished college-student-level apartment, eats ramen, and spends his salary on gadgets (mostly Apple products) and a BMW. He did not buy the $10,000 gold Apple watch but talked a lot about how much he wanted it

Hahaha what a human being.

Please allow me to advertise to the rest of the world how hard I am pining for a gadget that costs $10,000 because it has some gold painted on the outside of it that despite that fact will be obsolete and totally worthless in two years, if that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 19, 2016

• Locked thread