Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No headphone jack but they include a dongle with the phone. $9 for a new one if you lose it. The dongle plugs into the same power port as the charger so you can't charge your phone and use headphones at the same time.

But don't worry, for $169 you can get wireless earbud things (I loving hate earbuds and earpods and whatever) which have a 5 hr battery life.

what in the gently caress are they thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

plain blue jacket posted:

I'm predicting Apple is going to make a fortune regardless of goony sperging

They will ofc but their sales numbers are in decline and they're trying reeeaal hard to break into the China market and kinda failing at it beyond the rich assholes there who buy like 20 of them to impress girls.

A lot of big institutions are dumping their AAPL holdings as well, whatever that's worth.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

unpacked robinhood posted:

Did they to justify the proprietary Bluetooth ? Its pretty nice being able to pair with a car or a stereo and blast your rad thunes.

My gf's iPhone works with her car? Is it really some weirdo Bluetooth that is hit or miss on certain devices?

Or is that a new feature of the 7

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk I still use headphones when on planes or otherwise traveling

I def plug my helmet in to my phone when snowboarding

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

You know what would be cool is like shared listening zones, so if you got some wireless headphones you can share what you're listening to and see what other people are sharing and everyone can tune in and have a little headphone party. :slick:

Yeah but that'll make the RIAA have a poo poo fit.

Parallax Scroll posted:

it at least has some logic to it if people are talking about video games or superheroes or cartoons. but headphones? im gonna need an explanation on that one

you already got one

people use headphones all the time while exercising, traveling, or doing any number of other activities where they would like to listen to music but aren't around speakers or don't want to bother others

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

texasmed posted:

the potential for a direct lightning port to headphone allows for a purely digital connection which would increase the quality. headphone jacks are for analog scrubs.

oh this reminds me; Bluetooth lags a bit doesn't it? Like if I have a YouTube video on and it is hooked up to my car's bluetooth the video is a couple seconds ahead of the audio (by the time it gets piped to my car and then to the speakers).

I guess they have that figured out but if not it is going to make watching videos on your phone with those Air Pod things useless.

Maybe that's that proprietary bluetooth the other poster mentioned although in that case if it doesn't work with my car then it is also useless lol.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

buttcrackmenace posted:

in short : lol @ Apple for coming up with a $170 solution to a $40 problem

to be fair, that's like their business model basically

Danger Mahoney posted:

I think it was smart as hell on Apple's part.

Idk if you want to see how "annoy the user in order to nickel and dime them in the pettiest ways" as a business strategy works I think you should see how video game companies who do the same end up murdering established well liked IPs which also had rabid fanbases.

They should make their core product better instead of just playing catch up with features like water resistance that other phones have had for years at this point. They're selling a premium phone at a premium price and built a huge following around that and now they're shooting the premium phone thing in the foot thinking their brand name will carry them forever but it won't.

At one point I feel like the iPhone was legit better for the average user. It was slick. It just worked. It wasn't fiddly. Now it's some bullshit where they tell you "just hold it different lmao" when the antenna doesn't work.

They had a revolutionary product with the iPod. They arguably had a revolutionary product in the iPhone (yeah the tech existed already but they put it together in a slick way and marketed it well). What the gently caress do they have now? A watch???

Decebal posted:

They should pay their tax bill before trying to look all cool and ask us for more money :argh:

e: and in effort to protect that brand image they continue shooting themselves in the foot in China by refusing to release a cheaper version of the phone with some cheaper casing or whatever to actually break into the market with because "that would gently caress up our branding." Cool dudes you guys are gonna miss out on a massive market then :shrug:

ee: just to drive the point home cuz im a cvck

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chinese-consumers-see-homegrown-features-in-apples-iphone-7-1473302030 posted:

In China, Apple has fallen to fifth place in smartphone sales as Chinese makers have raised their game, offering feature-rich devices for lower prices.

Chinese rivals have also been faster to bring some technical innovations to market, introducing [them] months before Apple trumpeted these improvements in the iPhone 7.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 8, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think that's illegal?

Also if you're talking with clients for hours I can see wanting some crisper audio versus the car speakers and stuff.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

935 posted:

Ok for everyone bitching about how you can't charge and listen to music at the same time, how often are you at 3% battery and say "drat I sure wish I could listen to music right now while charging my phone?" Be honest. I think this is a BS complaint.

uh all the fuckin time actually

esp if I'm watching videos or something

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im sorry smythe but i carefully hoard these nudes of previous girlfriends and im not letting any nsa chucklefucks get their rocks off to em

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

Me neither. I pull them off the cloud instantly and seamlessly.

What happens when you are in an area that doesn't have service though? Or if you are trying to watch data usage?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well idk I can fill it up pretty fast taking video but I meant more like what if you want to look at some photos or something while not in a major city?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

canpakes posted:

The lightening port is a superior charging jack, which can be had for the same price as android cords (LOL @ "miniusb). It's also so common that anywhere people gather someone is bound to have a lightening charger. They're much more common than mini usbs outside of the computer jobs.

The "headphone jack" hasn't been replaced by the lightening port. It's been replaced by Bluetooth. The lightening earphone jack is a temporary holdover until Bluetooth headphones become the new standard.

sorry but you must be stupid as gently caress or something bc the iPhone cables cost like $15-20 and I can get a miniusb for a dollar

canpakes posted:

1. Apple didn't make a "proprietary headphone jack."

2. They removed a garbage "standard" that dates back the mid 1800s.wireless headphones are the new standard now because Apple said so (and this is good)

3. Trashphones (non Apple phones) will follow suit within a couple years.

4. You can still listen to headphones while charging you dipshits, Just not with your fail tangled corded gaming headphones

2. you're retarded
3. actually Apple is not the first to do this idiot lmao Apple is not innovative ever
4. sure just buy a separate dongle for it

in conclusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mithaldu posted:

It doesn't even matter what for. Extrapolating from a lack of a need on your end to a universal lack of said need is unnecessarily narrow-minded.

• Locked thread