Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

canpakes posted:

1. Apple didn't make a "proprietary headphone jack."

Isn't Lightning proprietary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I was going to make some snarky remark about Apple not just using USB-C which has analog audio capabilities but apparently that has stupid charging limitations in it so basically screw all of these new connectors

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's not proprietary because lots of people have it like Apple's old proprietary but not proprietary connector

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No one uses Type-C and is a worse connector then Lightning which is why that one MacBook has only a single Lightning connector for everything

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's pretty cool being able to use the same charger for your phone as your laptop

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I get the feeling people think I'm arguing for Lightning and not Type-C

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Germstore posted:

the best part is $8 of that $40 belkin adapter goes directly to lightning licensing fees.

But it's not proprietary because your friends use the same connector

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I know, right? Like with a Nexus and a Pixel!

Inferior products. Apple would never use Type-C to charge anything due to Lightning being the superior connector

And did someone really try to sell this as Apple making Bluetooth the new standard even though it's already existed for years and people have been able to freely choose to use it or not?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

etalian posted:

USB-C is very good

Plugging my phone in without worrying about orientation is awesome

Is it not the same with Lightning? Do I need to worry about which way i plug in my headphone dongle?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Remember in Ocean's 13 they made a big deal about that gold Samsung phone :lol: way to date yourself movie

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If Steve Jobs were around to see those dongles or earbuds that look like all but two inches of cable were snipped off he would have taken a smoothie filled poop down some engineer's throat

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Madcosby posted:

wireless earbuds are so going to get one of them lost

lookin forward to buying new earbuds and having two right ear ones and one left one

Ok got my new ear buds and I'm ready for my trans Atlantic flight... Ok I'm not even out of the US and they've already died after 5 hours so let me take them out to charge and I guess I can read the loving in-flight magazine for an hour and...ah poo poo I dropped one on the ground where the gently caress did it go well let me just use the airline headphones aw poo poo I left my dongle at home fml

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 10, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Marv Hushman posted:

Have we learned nothing from this? Stop drawing attention to the charger cable before they eliminate this jack as well (for aesthetics and space saving reasons, and not for making customers buy a new phone every 8-12 hours reasons).

Real talk if you were going to eliminate the headphone jack by touting the wonders of wireless and talk about how it helps improve water resistance, you should have just implemented wireless charging and eliminated the Lightning connector and sell a single rectangular block of solid glass that would make Steve Jobs cream his pants

But I guess Apple has to go think of and invent their own wireless charging standard first

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I thought the Square reader used Bluetooth and the headphone jack was just a holder for the device but nope that's how it communicates with the device like it's a loving dialup modern

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Germstore posted:

It's $4 per connector, so it's $4 at least and $8 if they want to provide a pass through.

Passthrough? :lol: who would want to charge the phone and take payment at the same time

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Germstore posted:

I don't know, maybe through out an 8 hour work day you may need to hook it up to a battery bank or some poo poo. Who knows. But if you want to provide that option it's an extra $4.

Did you not pay the DRM chip fee for your sarcasm detector

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The stylus thing is funny because you have a pretty clear statements from Jobs regarding it and yet you had people doing mental gymnastics to explain what Jobs really meant

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

"Jobs just hated how those other guys implemented the stylus he wasn't against the concept!"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

radiatinglines posted:

The USB port will die or it will just stop turning on within like three years.

It was only eighteen months before the USB on my Nexus 5 needed to be replaced. A few months after that, the power button got finicky, and soon after the phone restarted a few times and never powered back on. The same thing happened to my S2.

The S5 has wireless charging so screw that USB port

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don Tacorleone posted:

Also Android users seem to care much more about this than iPhone users

It's not a phone or Android thing, it's really not much more different than people that follow Star Citizen, the xbox shark tank, or doobie's dog house. Hell, I used to morbidly track OnePlus and all their bad decisions

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spigen fixed the Airbuds or whatever they're called for only $10
https://www.amazon.com/AirPods-Spigen-PENDING-Connector-Airpods/dp/B01LVZ4SXN

quote:

This product is only a start to what will be the most successful line of products ever. The next generation will allow the power to travel down the strap reducing the need to charge the AirPods. The one after that should allow the transmission of via a low-current signal traveling down the strap (this will reduce interference with external signals). After that, I hope that this will lead to the standardization of this technology across all devices through a standard attachment to the phone by making the interface a very small jack - 1/8" maybe. This will make it compatible with other devices as well as greatly reduce the cost maybe by a factor of 15 or more. Moreover, make it patent / royalty free to reduce the cost even more.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

loquacius posted:

Macbooks are good hardware, but the high-end PC laptop market is catching up on that front now that the Surface line has shown them what they should be doing.

While working at MS in the pre-Surface days I saw more than a few MBPs running Win7 with stickers covering their Apple logos

I recommend Macbooks because it's a built-in price barrier keeps them from grabbing some crap $300 Walmart version. I know if I recommend some kind of Lenovo or even Surface they'd end up buying some HP garbage because "it has an i5 isn't that the same thing"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

a retard posted:

the irony is that most people who buy macbooks just use it for email and internet and they could do the exact same thing with not much visible performance loss on a $300 piece of poo poo from walmart

It's not the performance, it's the "well you hosed up your power jack and now this won't charge" or the "hey your brezel is cracked now that sucks" type build issues that come with cheap garbage stuff.

And yeah all they really want is email and internet which is why I've been recommending Chromebooks but they think they need more power or don't trust the cloud or think they really need Office and Google Docs won't work or all of the above so that's not a topic that gets very far.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The only reason I'm on Windows 10 (which I ended up not hating) is because my Windows 7 Automatic Update process somehow borked itself and I was getting unending loops of it attempting to install an update, failing, and then repeating the whole process every time I reboot. Looking up the error code it is apparently a sign that some file got corrupted and MS didn't have some kind of process to easily restore it short of just doing a Windows reinstall

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

touchscreens on laptops came out during Intel's Ultrabook push (i.e. PLEASE BUY LAPTOPS AND NOT TABLETS WHAT TABLET STUFF CAN WE CRAM ONTO LAPTOPS). While I hate them, we actually have some decent 2-in-1 style devices (Surface, those early Asus Transformer) now so I guess it was kind of worth it?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ASUS is great in that they have a poo poo load of products out there. Some are great, some with lovely power connectors or garbage flash memory that destroys itself during normal usage but you'll never know what those products are until they've been out on the market for 6+ months

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: Apple is apparently sending surveys to Macbook Pro users asking if they use the headphone jack

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Space is at a premium on 15" laptops

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm going to hang out around dog parks and jogging areas to pick up some sweet airbuds

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

a bone to pick posted:

Their official response is they want the phone to do everything wirelessly, communicate with your PC wirelessly, listen to audio wirelessly, charge the batte- oops.

a retard posted:

not even apple could spin up a reason why so they just said at their keynote that it took "courage"

also apparently the entire iphone 7 design process was a total clusterfuck and in all likelihood the jack will be back next year

I thought there was a more indepth explanation that was given where they basically talked about how they were struggling to fit in the second camera in the layout so they started exploring drastic ideas. Someone tried out removing the headphone jack and realized it made all their problems go away. And as a bonus it made it easier sticking in that haptic home button thingy. So they then just decided to go with that and work on the justifications later

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Oh cool so the 7 should still have a headphone jack since it doesn't have the double camera whatever

Still has that haptic feedback thingy near the home button which I guess they'd have to move a bit so gently caress that

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Gotta remove headphone jack. Can't have unnecessary holes if we are trying to waterproof this

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/16/apple-iphone-7-headphone-jack-speaker-grill

quote:

Eagle eyed Apple fans irritated by the absence of a 3.5mm headphone socket on the iPhone 7 Plus may have been somewhat appeased by signs of another speaker in its place. The row of holes, giving the base of the phone a pleasing symmetry, hinted at something going on inside.

But a teardown by repair company iFixit has revealed the grille to be nothing more than an aesthetic adornment.

“Closer inspection shows a new, second lower speaker grille that leads … nowhere? Interesting,” wrote iFixit in its documentation of the teardown process.

A larger haptic feedback system, the so-called Taptic Engine, and a slightly larger battery take up the space vacated by the now disavowed phone connector socket. The second speaker in Apple’s stereo pair is simply the earpiece speaker at the top of the phone.

Which just leaves one other question: why you would drill more holes into the bottom of a smartphone you’re trying to waterproof, for no apparent reason? Only Sir Jony Ive knows the answer to that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

How much room does a physical button take vs. that taptic engine thingy

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: world class except when you consider all the old grandmas who are apparently their target who know nothing about all the gestures and just slowly poke things one at a time and mash the home button over and over again to get anywhere

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

When people look wistfully back at Windows phone, were they talking about WP7?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Didn't MS just drop WP7 support and refuse to update older phones to 8 and shrugged their shoulders when people complained

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

iPhone 7 #hissghazi

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/17/iphone-7-plus-hissing/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Are people loading up the processor and then holding the phone up to their ear? Obviously they are holding it wrong

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Last year we said it was a bad year for smartphones because the 810 was a mini fusion reactor. This year is also a bad year for smartphones because they are either exploding or sound like they are about to explode. What will next year bring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TontoCorazon posted:

Singularities.

But Apple is ditching holes from their phones :confused:

• Locked thread