Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Black Ops I Black Ops II

The Game

Black Ops III came out in November of 2015 for the Xbox One, Playstation 4 and PC (for some reason) and is a follow up to 2012's Black Ops II. Notice I didn't say sequel there. Black Ops III takes place a full 40 years after the end of Black Ops II, so Alex Mason and Frank Woods are long dead, even if you got the best ending in BLOPS II and they were alive and having a beer at the end of the game. Those multiple endings, and the jump to the new generation of consoles, are probably a big part of why the timeline shifted so drastically between BLOPS II and BLOPS III. What happened in BLOPS II shaped the world BLOPS III takes place in, but the events aren't immediately relevant through most of the game (though a couple call backs have been placed in the dialog). BLOPS III takes place in the Deus Ex universe, or at least the "Embers" teaser trailer promised something like that. The game sort of ignores the social issues and divides promised in the trailer to make you feel ultra powerful and cool. This isn't necessarily a bad thing and I think the campaign, while not being MW1 level quality plays better than most of the recent games in the franchise.

Your character in the game is basically an advanced Oscar Pistorius with a better K/D. Treyarch went all out and not only doubled down on the enhanced movement system of Advanced Warfare, but added in new features and abilities in "cyber cores," think magic upgrade trees in RPGs and you have the rough idea. We'll talk about more of this as the game goes on, I don't want to give too much away yet. The game is surprisingly long if you only look at the mission select screen as it only displays around ten missions. Missions can range from half an hour to an hour and a half so we'll be seeing breaks where I can fit them in.

The LP

We're going to focus on the campaign missions for most of the LP. These are going to be played on the PC for a few reasons. One, I really like Mouse and Keyboard for shooters. Two, it looks wwwwaaaaaayyyy better than on consoles. Three, the video quality is going to be much better from PC. Like with the last couple CoD LP's I've done, multiplayer will be a factor and that's on the PS4 because there are actual people playing there and I don't get trashed every game. The campaign is playable Co-Op in BLOPS III, so we may see a couple guests stop by for that. There are a couple game modes that I've never touched in this game as well, Nightmares is a second campaign and Dead Ops Arcade II is a twin stick shooter. There's also Zombies mode, but I have no plans on touching that.

Back from BLOPS II is the ability to set up loadouts, with the new complication of the cyber cores and tac rigs that give you different abilities. In BLOPS II I gave people the option to select the builds I would use on future missions and then gave the thread the ability to vote for them. I plan on doing a modified version of that starting with the third video, but instead of one class at a time I can store several classes and then switch between them in mission as I need to. More details on this will be posted with the first video. The plan is to stick to using the same rotation of classes for several videos, so if you offer something up and I don't select it right away, be patient.

Multiplayer videos are going in the second post once those start rolling in.

Videos

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 28, 2016

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I find it really weird that the only "training" part of the first mission is teaching you how to duck. That's just such a weird thing to show you and then literally tell you nothing else on how to play. I really like this first mission as it drops you into the world of BLOPS III while setting up a ton of characters and plot for later in the game. I harp on this in nearly every LP, but there are times where developers need to explain out the world they've built and times where doing so makes zero sense. This level is one of those times, you are a soldier that made it into the WA Black Ops division, you probably don't need to be told that the NRC stands for the Nile River Coalition. You are on a mission that is going poorly, Hendricks doesn't have time to tell you about him and Taylor having a falling out.

The first mission plays really differently from the rest of the game. You generally don't have more than one AI buddy with you through the game, so the appearance of Taylor's team is a nice introduction to the enhanced powers you'll be seeing through the game. Fun fact about this mission: if you complete it and then go back and choose to play through it again without restarting the campaign you get whatever weapons and abilities you have unlocked during your run. It changes a lot of how the mission can be played, which may only interest me. Most of the areas you go to through the game give you multiple paths and routes depending on which traversal abilities you have equipped, but this mission doesn't. Instead you can get up and down from different elevations faster and easier and get rid of enemies faster with abilities. OK, it's not that interesting.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Not to alarm you, but I'm getting some bad stutter at parts in the video. Especially bad between 3:05 and 3:33.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh hey, the one Black Ops game I never bothered to buy!

I'm one of those weirdos who basically never plays multiplayer in console shooters and just buys stuff for the single player experience. Call of Duty in recent years has been really good about big set pieces, but not so much about changing up the gameplay. I honestly liked Black Ops 2 a lot more for being willing to go to some lengths to be more unique in its setting.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Nightmares is pretty cool IMHO. I heard Zombies mode also has a story now too?

Also without introducing spoilers into the thread, the COD wikia has a complete explanation of the plot which you'll need because holy poo poo did Treyarch take criticisms of simplistic plotting in their last couple games personally. Blops3 is a hella confusing Tarantino-esque beast, storywise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not to turn this into the COD General thread or something but did they ever fix the massive performance issues the PC version of BLOPS3 had? Or is it the kind of "fix" that Arkham Knight got where you're rolling the dice on whether or not it'll work?

I've always enjoyed the COD campaigns in all their dumb Tom-Clancy-to-11 glory but those issues really put me off ever buying this one. If they didn't fix them, well, at least I get to see it.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Good to see this is a thing now. I picked this up when it was half-off about a month ago so I'd have something New and Flashy™ to play on the new rig I put together and to come along for co-op (let me know when/if that happens by the way, maybe I'll replace my dumb anime name for recording), but then ended up only playing the first mission. In fairness, that was partly because I wanted to leave myself mostly-unspoiled for when your LP started... and partly because of what looked like a loading screen after the first mission which A) didn't seem to want to let me continue until I pressed half the buttons on my keyboard, and B) completely cut off the game's sound once I did get into gameplay again and wouldn't give it back until I quit entirely.

I mean, I heard this game has issues on PC, but being the ridiculously stupid rear end in a top hat hopeless optimist I am about this series, I would have thought this time they would put actual effort into quashing those bugs.

speaking of ridiculous optimism and only tangentially related given what you finished LPing, I'm also getting around to reinstalling World at War now that I have an actual group of people that I could possibly play co-op and/or Zombies with. I'll let you all know if the game freaks the gently caress out again because I'm not still running WinXP, and if I break my record time of "first run to uninstall" in that event.

On the subject of the Mason family, I read that there's a brief mention in some Data Vault of a "C. Mason" at some point, but he was deemed unfit for the surgery to turn him into a cyborg super-soldier like the player character gets after this first mission. So, yes, the story of the Masons has come to a close. Unless they bring them back for no loving reason in Call of Duty™: Black Ops IV: Kids Suddenly Care About Roman Numerals Edition in late 2018.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The above is a video link.

So like in Black Ops II I want the thread to determine some loadouts. It's going to work a bit differently here than in BLOPS II simply because the options are more varied and deep. I strung together the above video to show off the sheer number of options we're going to need to discuss when talking about loadouts. Not only are we looking at guns and attachments, but grenades, tac rigs and cyber cores. There's a two tier unlock system at play as well. Once you reach a level you unlock the ability to spend a Fabrication Kit on an item. This was probably done because Fabrication Kits are stupid easy to earn, by the end of the second mission I had 17 of the drat things. For the most part you should consider any gun that happens to be on the list to be unlocked due to how many kits I'll get per mission.

Weapons are pretty straightforward, cyber cores are a bit different. Without context it's difficult to know which core will be best for each mission. As much as I'd like to leave that up to me, I'm going to turn that over to the thread as well, but instead of choosing exactly what unlocks in which tree I'm going to randomly post that you need to pick a tree and I'll dump two kits into that tree to upgrade and unlock the abilities I think would be best. Having a bad weapon selection and bad cores can completely gently caress you, so I'd like a bit of flexibility. You will still be selecting which cores we go with each few videos, though.

Rather than making you sit through the video I've typed out everything we need to consider below. Just delete everything that isn't the option you want under each header and reply in the thread. If you have any questions about weapons feel free to ask.

Attachments Guide

Attachments come in two forms, the Optics and those that change a tangible characteristic of the weapon. You can have one optic and two attachments at any time. Three attachments if you take the Gunfighter wildcard. While the values imparted by the attachments will vary from weapon to weapon, the overall effects won't.

Optics (Pick up to one for each type of non-launcher weapon. Or none)

Reflex: Your typical red dot sight from most shooters. It provides a better view when ADSing, but not much else.

ELO: Sort of an advanced Reflex, with the point floating between two posts on the gun instead of being in a little glass window thing. It provides an even clearer sight.

Recon: Your typical ACOG sight, it provides a decent level of zoom in exchange for more obscured edges when you ADS.

BOA3: Like the Reflex, but if the Reflex lit up red when aiming at an enemy and blue when looking at a friendly.

Varix 3: A variable zoom sniper scope.

General Attachments

Quickdraw: Aim down sights faster

Laser Sight: Better Hipfire Accuracy

Grip: Less recoil while firing ADS

Stock: Move faster while ADS

Fast Mags: Reload faster

Suppressor: Silent firing of gun, won't alert unaware enemies but lowers the range at which your weapon does max damage.

Extended Mags: Larger Magazine

FMJ: Shooting from cover does not decrease damage by as much.

Primary Weapons (Pick two attachments from above, three if your build includes Primary Warfighter Wildcard. Or none.)

SMG

Kuda (Average fire rate, average damage SMG)

Available Optics: Red Dot, ELO, Recon, BOA3
Available Attachments: Grip, Suppressor, Quickdraw, Laser Sight, Fast Mags, Stock, Extended Mag, FMJ

Pharo: (4 round burst SMG.)

Available Optics: Reflex, Recon
Available Attachments: Quickdraw, Laser Sight, Grip, Stock, Fast Mags, Silencer, Extended Mags

Razorback (Fires fast, low damage) NOT UNLOCKED

Available Optics: Reflex
Available Attachments: Quickdraw, Laser Sight, Grip

Assault Rifles

XR-2: 3 shot burst AR.

Available Optics: Reflex, ELO, Recon
Available Attachments: Extended Mag, Quickdraw, Laser Sight, Grip, Stock, Fast Mags, Suppressor

KN-44: Classic decent damage, good rate of fire AR

Available Optics: Reflex, ELO, Recon
Available Attachments: Extended Mag, Quickdraw, Laser Sight, Grip, Stock, Fast Mags, Suppressor

ICR-1: NOT UNLOCKED (high fire rate, low damage)

Available Attachments: Extended Mag, Quickdraw, Laser Sight, Grip, Stock (based on KN-44 base attachments)

HVK-30 NOT UNLOCKED (I never use this thing)

Available Attachments: Extended Mag, Quickdraw, Laser Sight, Grip

Shotguns

KRM-262 (Pump Action fun)

Available Attachments: Quickdraw, Laser Sight, Stock

205 Brecci NOT UNLOCKED (semi auto with good damage)

Available Attachments: Quickdraw, Laser Sight

Light Machine Guns

BRM (Good all around LMG, useful from the first level to max level in multiplayer)

Available Optics: Reflex, ELO
Available Attachments: Quickdraw, Laser Sight, Grip, Stock

48 Dredge NOT UNLOCKED (6 round burst LMG)

Available Attachments: Quickdraw Laser Sight, Grip

Sniper Rifles

Locus (Bolt action Sniper Rifle)

Available Optics: None (comes with sniper scope)
Available Attachments: Extended Mags, Stock

Secondary Weapons (select one optic and one attachment. Or none.)

MR6 (your average pistol)

Available Optics: none
Available Attachments: Laser Sight, Quickdraw, Fast Mags

RK5 NOT UNLOCKED (Robocop pistol)

Available Attachments: Laser Sight, Quickdraw

XM-53 DF (Rocket Launcher

No Attachments

Lethal Grenades (pick one, can carry up to two with Danger Close wildcard)

Frag
A frag grenade

Thermite NOT UNLOCKED
Produces a chemical fire that will catch any enemies in the radius or who walk into it on fire

Tactical Grenades (select one, can carry two by default)

Flashbang
Blinds and stuns enemies

EMP
Disables electronics/robots

Tac Rigs (Select up to two)

Sensory Buffer
Makes flashbangs and stuns less disorienting, reduces flinch from being shot

Traversal Enhancement
Allows you to run on walls. Upgrade to have jump boost.

Copycat
Grants the ability to pick up weapons from fallen enemies.

Emergency Reserve NOT UNLOCKED
Sudden healing burst, but can't move as fast and can't use all weapons while this is happening.

Wildcards (Select up to three)

Primary Gunfighter 1
Allows you to carry an extra attachment on your primary weapon.

Danger Close
Allows you to carry an extra lethal grenade

Secondary Gunfighter
Take a second attachment on a pistol sidearm.

Cyber Cores
Selected per level.

Control
Has System Paralysis (disable robots/turrets), Aug Breakdown (cause humans to act like they are stunned), Ravage Core (pull out robot heart and throw it like a grenade)

Martial
Has Overdrive (better aiming, run faster), Smokescreen (obscure you from enemies) and Overwhelming Force (shoulder charge enemies)

Chaos
Has Sensory Overload (incapacitate up to three humans), Misdirection (enemies swat at invisible flying drones), Immolation (cause robots to catch fire and then blow up, kills nearby enemies)

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 23, 2016

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tacopocalypse posted:

Not to alarm you, but I'm getting some bad stutter at parts in the video. Especially bad between 3:05 and 3:33.

Yeah, I can't explain that either. The game was completely smooth, the video before editing was fine, but no matter what that stutter comes in every single time.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Also without introducing spoilers into the thread, the COD wikia has a complete explanation of the plot which you'll need because holy poo poo did Treyarch take criticisms of simplistic plotting in their last couple games personally. Blops3 is a hella confusing Tarantino-esque beast, storywise.

One of the better twists they've pulled, but so complicated I plan on doing a video to explain it out.

Kibayasu posted:

Not to turn this into the COD General thread or something but did they ever fix the massive performance issues the PC version of BLOPS3 had? Or is it the kind of "fix" that Arkham Knight got where you're rolling the dice on whether or not it'll work?

I've always enjoyed the COD campaigns in all their dumb Tom-Clancy-to-11 glory but those issues really put me off ever buying this one. If they didn't fix them, well, at least I get to see it.

I could put up the video of the ordeal I went through trying to leave the campaign after the game decided that I was now online and needed to set up my character for the campaign again after just finishing the first level and saving and exiting. Or the random audio spikes the game generates when recording. Or the fact that the game somehow takes over all of your recording devices and reduces the volume based on what you say the volume of your voice chat should be. Or the fact that if you sit at the start screen too long the game goes completely silent and there's no way to fix it besides exiting.

Oh, and the performance isn't great still, yeah. I have a 970 and play on high settings without much issue, but other people I know with the same card and similar RAM/CPU setups tell me they get like 30 FPS on Medium settings. Game is weird.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I briefly saw a "Launcher" option in the secondaries menu. Is there a reason you skipped it?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Customizable loadouts? Well then, let's go with a Mass Effect-style Vanguard knock-off. :v:

Lazyfire posted:

Shotguns
KRM-262 (Pump Action fun)
Reflex
Quickdraw, Laser Sight

MR6
Quickdraw, Fast Mags

Frag

EMP

Sensory Buffer
Traversal Enhancement

Wildcards
Primary Gunfighter 1
Danger Close

Cyber Cores
Overwhelming Force (shoulder charge enemies)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
What are this game's equivalents to the Chicom CQB and Executioner?

No reason, just asking.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Outside of the demo, I never played this game because I was and still am burnt out by CoD games. As such, I don't know if the enemies drop a large variety of weapons. If they do, I vote you get the upgrade to pick up weapons and then pick up every weapon you walk over.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Nightmares is pretty cool IMHO. I heard Zombies mode also has a story now too?

On one hand, it's refreshing that the CoD franchise has been getting away from the present. On the other hand, I miss the more "simplistic" story of BLOPS. Whether it was actually good, mediocre, or bad, I thought BLOPS had the best story, in part because it was simple and focused on a smaller aspect of a larger war, unlike the MW games which had to always show how much larger this war is compared to the last.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nuramor posted:

I briefly saw a "Launcher" option in the secondaries menu. Is there a reason you skipped it?

Single player has only an RPG like option there, but it isn't available yet.

Psion posted:

What are this game's equivalents to the Chicom CQB and Executioner?

No reason, just asking.

I guess the Pharo and the Marshal 16, but the Marshal isn't in the campaign.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This is the first Black Ops LP (or CoD for that matter) that I've seen, so forgive me if this is a trivial / dumb thing to :aaaaa: about, but holy crap that Chris Meloni character looks like the real deal. Is that his own voice?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rappaport posted:

This is the first Black Ops LP (or CoD for that matter) that I've seen, so forgive me if this is a trivial / dumb thing to :aaaaa: about, but holy crap that Chris Meloni character looks like the real deal. Is that his own voice?

Yep, that's him. CoD games have slowly been going the movie route and making famous actors who appear in their games look like them. Sam Worthington in the first two Black Ops games, Kevin Spacey in Advanced Warfare, that sort of thing.

Sadly, Keith David's character in MW2 didn't look like Keith David.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

To avoid spacing out videos too much I'm going to need to have class suggestions all in by Monday. It's like homework but instead of education you get to see some weirdo play more video games.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Here's a 'many things' loadout.

Lazyfire posted:

Primary Weapons (Pick two attachments from above, three if your build includes Primary Warfighter Wildcard. Or none.)
KN-44: Classic decent damage, good rate of fire AR

Optics: Reflex
Attachments: Extended Mag, Quickdraw, Stock

MR6 (your average pistol)

Attachments: Quickdraw

Frag
2x

Flashbang

Traversal Enhancement NOT UNLOCKED

Primary Gunfighter 1 NOT UNLOCKED

Danger Close NOT UNLOCKED

Cyber Cores
Martial
Smokescreen (obscure you from enemies)

Not entirely sure about the cyber core thing, so assuming you only pick one ability from the tree is what I went with.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Yep, that's him. CoD games have slowly been going the movie route and making famous actors who appear in their games look like them. Sam Worthington in the first two Black Ops games, Kevin Spacey in Advanced Warfare, that sort of thing.

Sadly, Keith David's character in MW2 didn't look like Keith David.

They rectified that travesty in Saints Row IV, however. And Anderson kind of starts to look more like Keith David as the Mass Effect series went on.

Also Troy Baker and Gideon Emery's character from Advanced Warfare were modeled after them too.

I'm of two minds on this trend of modeling video game characters on their voice actors. On the one hand, it's good that they're getting more visual exposure, on the other hand it kind of gets a little repetitive when you sit down to play the fifth game out this year starring Literally Travis Willingham (who is amazing and awesome and deserves all the work he gets, don't get me wrong).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I need to point out that the core you choose is going to give me all the abilities in the core, not just the one you are pointing to. If you are trying to screw me over keep that in mind.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

Light Machine Guns

BRM

Available Optics: ELO
Available Attachments: Laser Sight, Grip

MR6

Available Attachments: Laser Sight

Frag
A frag grenade

Flashbang

None unlocked.

Copycat and Traversal

Cyber Cores
Selected per level.

Control
Has System Paralysis (disable robots/turrets), Aug Breakdown (cause humans to act like they are stunned), Ravage Core (pull out robot heart and throw it like a grenade)

Please get a sidearm that allows use of Electric Light Orchestra. It honestly sounds like the only interesting ADS add-on.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I don't know much of anything about this game or any other COD game, so I vote for whichever weapons/equipment will be the silliest and most entertaining. The least accurate guns, the biggest explosions, that ability to make people barf or whatever. That's what I vote for. I wish I could be more specific and make this clearer for you.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
The end of the first episode was kind of messed up. Did the protagonist say something unkind about that robot's mother or something? Who programs a robot to pummel and dismember a downed combatant like that?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Quiet Python posted:

The end of the first episode was kind of messed up. Did the protagonist say something unkind about that robot's mother or something? Who programs a robot to pummel and dismember a downed combatant like that?

I presume it was a pretense for us to get cool robot arms.

Why the robot didn't have a firearm to begin with and was more keen on hurting the protagonist and breaking bones than actually killing them is perhaps a valid question. As ever, it is subject to the requirements of the plot.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Quiet Python posted:

Who programs a robot to pummel and dismember a downed combatant like that?
The Bad Guys, ofc.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Quiet Python posted:

In the far future, advance robo-limbs cost an arm and a leg of course :cheeky:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Quiet Python posted:

So we could get articles like this: http://kotaku.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-iiis-most-brutal-scene-haunts-m-1741248996

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Quiet Python posted:

In the future, companies save on robot programming costs by using the same AI as Doom.

It does lead to awkwardness when they form pentagrams out of human corpses, but the math makes sense.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

legit surprised Patrick Klepek didn't write this pearl clutching hogshit

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
They could have had the protagonist badly injured in the vehicle crash or caught in an explosion as an excuse to give them cyborg limbs. The whole "Brock Lesnar AI" scene just seems a little over-the-top. But I get that it only exists to get the protagonist on an operating table getting turned into a badass super-soldier.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Quiet Python posted:

They could have had the protagonist badly injured in the vehicle crash or caught in an explosion as an excuse to give them cyborg limbs. The whole "Brock Lesnar AI" scene just seems a little over-the-top. But I get that it only exists to get the protagonist on an operating table getting turned into a badass super-soldier.
They didn't ask for this. But it's awesome!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

In the future, companies save on robot programming costs by using the same AI as Doom.

It does lead to awkwardness when they form pentagrams out of human corpses, but the math makes sense.

ripandtear.exe

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

White Coke posted:

ripandtear.exe

I want a lime-green robot who runs at super-speed and gibs people in one or two punches as a specialist for multiplayer now.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
It'll be some stupid reason like "they put brains of soldiers into robots and turn them loose" or some poo poo.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Why would anyone bother with human infantry when even insurgent nonstate actors can throw waves of Terminators at any remotely threatening problem unanswerable to all but cyborgs for some reason?

"well you see you need High SpeedTM Special Forces to do sensitive missions quickly and quietly like hostage resc"*looks over the wreckage of Cairo airport or whatever, littered with its quadruple digit body count* Oh. HUH.

It's almost impressive how no two things about this game make any sense when taken into consideration of each other. What the hell is this guy the Minister of that HezbolISIS will send a robot army after him? If widely available Terminators are the hard counter to infantry why is it that robot bits welded onto vulnerable and exposed squishy human bits are so much better? If none of this matters because its just a game of made up stuff, why is the stuff they made up so drab and boring and confusing for no reason?

at least Lazyfire makes good threads

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

Why would anyone bother with human infantry when even insurgent nonstate actors can throw waves of Terminators at any remotely threatening problem unanswerable to all but cyborgs for some reason?

"well you see you need High SpeedTM Special Forces to do sensitive missions quickly and quietly like hostage resc"*looks over the wreckage of Cairo airport or whatever, littered with its quadruple digit body count* Oh. HUH.

It's almost impressive how no two things about this game make any sense when taken into consideration of each other. What the hell is this guy the Minister of that HezbolISIS will send a robot army after him? If widely available Terminators are the hard counter to infantry why is it that robot bits welded onto vulnerable and exposed squishy human bits are so much better? If none of this matters because its just a game of made up stuff, why is the stuff they made up so drab and boring and confusing for no reason?

at least Lazyfire makes good threads

It gets better. They've cheaper than human soldiers... somehow, with over five million produced, and there's no organic brain in their combat loop. Plus, they're a mature technology, with over 25 years of development.

The humans being around seems a little... odd, yes.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I really like Blops 3 from a gameplay perspective, but like blops 2, they had several plotlines they could have gone with and only focused on one really and I dig it a lot.

Multiplayer on PC is fun but after the track record of previous cod games on PC not as many people bought it there. Multiplayer fluctuates between dead as doornails and fairly active depending on what game mode you want to play. TDM always has players, but the problem is that they also separated the playlists out by DLC. As in Base game; DLC 1; DLC 2; DLC 3. So far as I know there is no full "everything" playlist yet, but with such a fractured playerbase, it's virtually impossible to play anything other than TDM no matter what maps you want.

Zombies is fun and groovy, the traversal mechanics are interesting in that it works like previous cod games unless a map environmental thing is activated in a certain part of a certain map and you get moon jumps and wall runs.

Nightmares is okay, it's literally the Singleplayer levels with the VA cut out and a narration track layered over it, with zombies, but also sometimes robots and a bit of licensed music in places.

Freerun mode would be a lot more fun if you could do it in multiplayer and literally race other people rather than just do time trial nonsense.

As far as they pushed for this CoD to be different, I'm more mad that they didn't push what they tried in Blops 2 harder and make it really unique. I appreciate the movement system change and it definitely is a welcome addition, but I would have preferred a little more time on story and poo poo like that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

By the way, be very careful about reading the text that rapidly scrolls up during the loading screen. If you're not familiar with the storyline of Black Ops III, there's unbelievably huge spoilers toward the end of it. Like "We just explained the entire game" spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

The story of Black Ops 3 is pretty cool, especially as you get towards the end.

Please don't spoil it.

• Locked thread