Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

was that really a rehabilitation of zuckerberg? it made him look like a tremendous piece of poo poo, and before that movie most people had a positive view of him

i dunno, for every moment like that there was one or two where he was clearly the smartest guy in the room, and the way sorkin writes that's kind of the paramount value for any given character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Homework Explainer posted:

Steve Jobs Died Screaming.

Lol

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Holmes was awarded the 2015 Horatio Alger Award, being the youngest recipient in its history.

If there is a god he's an ironic god. :lol:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

was that really a rehabilitation of zuckerberg? it made him look like a tremendous piece of poo poo, and before that movie most people had a positive view of him

there is a sizeable group of people who consider writing "im ceo bithc" on a business card to be admirable and stalking your ex at midnight to be just relatable
start-up people and those who suck up to them think alienation and rising above emotions are virtues

besides the movie was not that scathing - like, winklewoss twins (played by the grandson of Armand Hammer lol) as Old Money are more despicable by design, no matter what they do in the movie

adam mckay is on a serious leftie kick so he is not going to softball the theranos movie. hype baby

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Homework Explainer posted:

Steve Jobs Died Screaming.

good

A Winner is Jew posted:

i'm glad steve jobs dead

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

*slides this across the table at u*

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I hope the movie doesn't bury the lede like that article did: that while Theranos' biggest boosters were VCs in silicon valley, those same boosters were entirely unwilling to put their own money toward the business. VCs knew.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
She has the Craziest set of Crazy Eyes I've ever seen and her voice sounds like a lady comedian trying to do a teenage boys voice.

Steve Jobs carcass shoulda been used to feed shelter cats.

:aaaaa:aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah:aaaaa:

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Sep 15, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

I hope the movie doesn't bury the lede like that article did: that while Theranos' biggest boosters were VCs in silicon valley, those same boosters were entirely unwilling to put their own money toward the business. VCs knew.

Similar to hedge funds VCs make money even if deals go south since private equity often has sky fees similar to the 2-20 model found in hedge funds.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

She's pretty hot IMO similar to Marissa Mayer.

Crazy dream waifus whom enjoy dominating people and wrecking their company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSujceZDmg

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Karl Barks posted:

silicon valley people are the ultimate fart huffers imo. no one does it better

https://medium.com/startup-grind/i-got-scammed-by-a-silicon-valley-startup-574ced8acdff#.ay1vtw25h

required reading IMO

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
for those wondering what purpose H1-Bs actually serve

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

hello im a sociopath and i run a pharmaceutical company

greetings

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also I know there's better examples of people being glorified for dying like a stupid rear end in a top hat, but drat if steve jobs isn't a good one.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

C-Euro posted:

As a matter of principle, I don't trust anyone who fetishizes Steve Jobs.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Yinlock posted:

also I know there's better examples of people being glorified for dying like a stupid rear end in a top hat, but drat if steve jobs isn't a good one.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

this picture is soooo good

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

when my grandpa died i didn't feel anything, but when steve jobs died i cried outside an apple store

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Karl Barks posted:

when my grandpa died i didn't feel anything, but when steve jobs died i cried outside an apple store

same, but tears of joy

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Steve Job's death is our Charge of the Light Brigade

etalian posted:

Similar to hedge funds VCs make money even if deals go south since private equity often has sky fees similar to the 2-20 model found in hedge funds.

My favorite private equity scam is having a fund hire an "outside" consulting firm run by the managers of the fund. Paying yourself twice to do your job.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yinlock posted:

He's also a good example of the worst aspects of the west coast such as believing in quack natural miracle cures and pretending to be egalitarian while curb stomping the lower classes.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Steve Job's death is our Charge of the Light Brigade

My favorite private equity scam is having a fund hire an "outside" consulting firm run by the managers of the fund. Paying yourself twice to do your job.

The fees are also sky high for VC management since in the above great deal a client would end up paying 2%-5% in asset management fees.

Similar to a credit card company they are really good at creating a laundry list of fees:
http://cepr.net/images/stories/reports/private-equity-fees-2016-05.pdf

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atrocious Joe posted:

years ago i worked for a private foundation that shut down because one of the administrators was siphoning enormous amounts of money to a contracting company he owned

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Still makes me laugh how her business practice was based around breaking basic scientific principles and even his professors pointed out the idea as being flawed on a
fundamental level.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
We should make a homeopathic meds startup.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Discendo Vox posted:

We should make a homeopathic meds startup.
As long as the investments are not coming in homeopathic doses, I'm in. dilutr is here!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

etalian posted:

Still makes me laugh how her business practice was based around breaking basic scientific principles and even his professors pointed out the idea as being flawed on a
fundamental level.

the really funny part is that people bought into this poo poo for years despite its glaring flaws without seemingly anyone doing the due diligence of speaking to an expert in the field

also i really dont get the jobs worship. like what exactly did he supposedly do that is so great? he was really good at selling poo poo and being a colossal rear end in a top hat that seems to be about it

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Come on, Theranos will totally run a full blood screen using a drop of blood, just like huffing a rubber ball full of acidic smoke keeps you healthy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlill_v_Carbolic_Smoke_Ball_Co

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

S.T.C.A. posted:

Come on, Theranos will totally run a full blood screen using a drop of blood, just like huffing a rubber ball full of acidic smoke keeps you healthy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlill_v_Carbolic_Smoke_Ball_Co

Are you a law student?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I already have plans in place. once Trump wins and abolishes the FDA I am going all in on a radium water start-up. order radium water on your smart phone and it will be delivered to you by a slave. and you can buy the slave if they strike yer fancy when they show up.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
But radium doesn't talk to you for a year and fucks up your forum web app! What then?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

babypolis posted:

the really funny part is that people bought into this poo poo for years despite its glaring flaws without seemingly anyone doing the due diligence of speaking to an expert in the field

also i really dont get the jobs worship. like what exactly did he supposedly do that is so great? he was really good at selling poo poo and being a colossal rear end in a top hat that seems to be about it

The fundamental principle is that things like diagnosis through blood testing require decent volume in order to get accurate results.

Theranos was based on the delusion that a single drop of blood could provide accurate test results.

babypolis posted:

Jobs was basically a upper manager that created a cult personality like following, even though it was legions of faceless engineers who made his ideas reality. He didn't have a engineering degree unlike Steve Wozniak.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

babypolis posted:

if you become really successful, people try to attach Meaning to things that happened in your life and you're basically reading tea leaves at that point. like "george w bush's folksy charm and ability to empathize with the common voter propelled him to the presidency", but if Florida had used lever voting machines it would have been "al gore's steadfast commitment to putting policy over personality is what won him the vote in 2000"

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Zuckerberg has the better film imo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
What the hell is it about pharma tech that attracts shitheads, we've already got this steve jobs worshiping dork and of course, king smug arsehole martin shkreli.

e: or is it just tech in general? i'm in tech, am i an arsehole? where am i?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lorn Wayne posted:

What the hell is it about pharma tech that attracts shitheads, we've already got this steve jobs worshiping dork and of course, king smug arsehole martin shkreli.

e: or is it just tech in general? i'm in tech, am i an arsehole? where am i?

Theranos was basically another deranged startup that bilked people out their money.

Pharma bro was actually a hedge fund manager who was doing the old buying companies for their patents trick and then using the monopoly to crank up drug prices.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

She got crazy eyes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

She got crazy eyes.

she's probably a fiend in bed and also pretty insists that her BF wears a steve jobs mask.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VINIbbmI0BU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
One of the most interesting things to come out of this was how BS silicon valley valuations are. Especially when the hacks at Forbes are involved.

Hey Elizabeth is worth $4.5 billion based on her 50% stake in this unicorn rockstar buzzword firm, oh wait now we're revising her net worth to zero well poo poo happens!!

• Locked thread