Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lorn Wayne posted:

One of the most interesting things to come out of this was how BS silicon valley valuations are. Especially when the hacks at Forbes are involved.

Hey Elizabeth is worth $4.5 billion based on her 50% stake in this unicorn rockstar buzzword firm, oh wait now we're revising her net worth to zero well poo poo happens!!

Even better since her scam involved medical technology it means she will not get off scot free unlike if she ran a IT or software company into the ground.

The FBI is currently involved in the investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Forbes puts more effort in calculating the value of Scrooge McDuck's money bin than actually fact checking valuations

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

Forbes puts more effort in calculating the value of Scrooge McDuck's money bin than actually fact checking valuations

private equity valuations are basically voodoo economics.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The value of private equity is what dumb schmuck is willing to pay for the company.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

etalian posted:

Still makes me laugh how her business practice was based around breaking basic scientific principles and even his professors pointed out the idea as being flawed on a
fundamental level.

that might be my favorite part, like did she really think the collective biomedical community hadn't thought of any of it before

i had a roommate in engineering that thought he had invented anti-lock brakes until he showed it to a professor and got laughed at

he was an animu but at least he had the common sense not to run off to silicon valley and lie to the feds for a decade

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Whenever I look at a photo of her, I am never sure if it has been subtly altered to make her look weird or if that is just her face.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

Whenever I look at a photo of her, I am never sure if it has been subtly altered to make her look weird or if that is just her face.

she's like a rl anime girl with those massive eyes

also lol

quote:

After graduating from St. John's School in Houston in 2002, Holmes enrolled at Stanford University to study chemical engineering, but she left Stanford prior to completing her undergraduate degree

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This poo poo is why we need the FDA. Demonstrable Safety and Efficacy are drilled into my mind. My Randian will is chained by these burdensome regulations!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

McDowell posted:

This poo poo is why we need the FDA. Demonstrable Safety and Efficacy are drilled into my mind. My Randian will is chained by these burdensome regulations!

I had a good laugh how Forbes blamed the whole Theranos trainwreck on the FDA having too many regulations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This is your scheduled vox reminder that the FDA is currently running on like 1/12th of the funding it needs to do its job properly. If you ever get to a position of power, get the FDA more money. In the meantime, they've started up a patreon account...

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

lorn Wayne posted:

What the hell is it about pharma tech that attracts shitheads, we've already got this steve jobs worshiping dork and of course, king smug arsehole martin shkreli.

e: or is it just tech in general? i'm in tech, am i an arsehole? where am i?

the obscene amounts of money for what's basically fairly mindless albeit tedious work

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

This is your scheduled vox reminder that the FDA is currently running on like 1/12th of the funding it needs to do its job properly. If you ever get to a position of power, get the FDA more money. In the meantime, they've started up a patreon account...

Hey. It worked for Ebola researchers at Scripps. If the government doesn't do its job funding relevant services the public might have to.

http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2014/10/52820-scripps-scientist-use-crowdfunding-fund-ebola-cure-research/

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hey. It worked for Ebola researchers at Scripps. If the government doesn't do its job funding relevant services the public might have to.

http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2014/10/52820-scripps-scientist-use-crowdfunding-fund-ebola-cure-research/
That's a stupid precedent to set, though, and could very well lead to a "why should we fund them when they can go get their own funding" from politicians.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxYsTJyDT5g

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Really. Weird Pauses. Going on. There.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OWLS! posted:

Really. Weird Pauses. Going on. There.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLoYVjDTYsM

cams
Mar 28, 2003

William F Cuckley posted:

the obscene amounts of money for what's basically fairly mindless albeit tedious work
healthcare is a great place to be if you want money because people are gonna die and people wanna spend money to put that off as long as possible

it's why having a for-profit healthcare industry is such a good idea, especially in a country with minimal regulations

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/kamens/status/776846074841411584
The current healthcare industry is cool and good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/kamens/status/776846074841411584
The current healthcare industry is cool and good

price fixing ftw

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Secret contracts ftw

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if you like insulin that much why don't you make it yourself smart guy

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

etalian posted:

she's like a rl anime girl with those massive eyes

also lol
the randian disruptor is only held back by formal education, peer review, etc.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Helical Nightmares posted:

You, uh, do understand what's happening there, right? When public health events make headlines, scientists with bright new product spinoff ideas come out of the woodwork. It's a similar frame to Theranos.

And funding for that kind of drug development doesn't come out of normal FDA operating funds.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cargo cult posted:

the randian disruptor is only held back by formal education, peer review, etc.

It's not surprising since my horrible techie types like Peter Thiel talked about how dropping out of college is a good idea if you are a know it all messiah type.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 234 days!

etalian posted:

It's not surprising since my horrible techie types like Peter Thiel talked about how dropping out of college is a good idea if you are a know it all messiah type.

Basically cargo culting Bill Gates, which is a terrible idea unless there's a really ripe unexplored market and your dad is one of the richest dudes in the country.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

lorn Wayne posted:

One of the most interesting things to come out of this was how BS silicon valley valuations are. Especially when the hacks at Forbes are involved.

Hey Elizabeth is worth $4.5 billion based on her 50% stake in this unicorn rockstar buzzword firm, oh wait now we're revising her net worth to zero well poo poo happens!!

it's impossible to accurately value the net worth of someone like that, because they own this big asset which you think is worth however much, so standard methods say you're supposed to include it in their wealth, but a) they can't just go ahead and sell it whenever they want and b) it could suddenly turn out to be worth nothing if they happen to be a turtlenecked con artist

(I assume she couldn't sell the company without the potential buyer figuring out the con part in the process)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

private equity is pretty much worthless unless there's a big buyout offer or the company goes public with big growth over time like Google.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lorn Wayne posted:

What the hell is it about pharma tech that attracts shitheads, we've already got this steve jobs worshiping dork and of course, king smug arsehole martin shkreli.

e: or is it just tech in general? i'm in tech, am i an arsehole? where am i?

can you actually name any more pharma shitheads? probably not because while the industry as a whole is lovely, it's obvious to anyone with any sense that you need to be facelessly and replaceably lovely so that the public doesn't have any focal point for their anger. shkreli and holmes are both narcissists and hucksters, so they have to exude that attitude to attract new marks.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

etalian posted:

private equity is pretty much worthless unless there's a big buyout offer or the company goes public with big growth over time like Google.

I mean, it's worth as much as the underlying venture(s), some of which will be hugely profitable (but the "junior partners" in the endeavor will usually have a cap on how much they can actually make, lmao) while others will just be schemes to transfer money to management companies.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

theflyingexecutive posted:

can you actually name any more pharma shitheads? probably not because while the industry as a whole is lovely, it's obvious to anyone with any sense that you need to be facelessly and replaceably lovely so that the public doesn't have any focal point for their anger. shkreli and holmes are both narcissists and hucksters, so they have to exude that attitude to attract new marks.

You're right I can't, but yes I was focusing more on the fact that the industry as a whole in your country is lovely and the focal point of a horrid long running joke for, well pretty much the rest of the world (and most of the people in the US too).

Elizabeth and Pharma Bro just happen to be names that are easy to target I guess. :shrug:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the fbi should hold the entirety of silicon valley responsible and burn it to the ground

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I can't believe they greenlit a JLaw flick about a scam tech startup
who are they gonna get to play the Board of War Crimes?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I think they will have to use CGI for Kissinger at this point.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I think they will have to use CGI for Kissinger at this point.

The Watchmen movie had a good Kissinger

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
this is prolly a trite observation but i guess we're at the stage of late capitalism where if Theranos is somehow salvaged and made profitable the entire 'plucky Stanford Dropout with no respect for science' angle will just be like re-purposed into some retarded fascist founding mythos :barf:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Am I the only one who is surprised by her voice? I keep thinking I'm hearing a dub of someone mocking her, because her voice is so drat unnatural sounding to me, like she practices sounding that way for whatever reason or something.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think she retrained it octave down because Men Power Business Success Gravitas or something. like you can hear her working at it, that's not natural

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
they brought up that her voice sometimes slips on this week's chapo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cargo cult posted:

this is prolly a trite observation but i guess we're at the stage of late capitalism where if Theranos is somehow salvaged and made profitable the entire 'plucky Stanford Dropout with no respect for science' angle will just be like re-purposed into some retarded fascist founding mythos :barf:

I doubt know how they will salvage given the amount of fraud behind the idea and also how the company is now being investigated by multiple government agencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

etalian posted:

I doubt know how they will salvage given the amount of fraud behind the idea and also how the company is now being investigated by multiple government agencies.

maybe it'll be like a radio shack kinda thing where they license the name out to mall kiosks to test for diabetes or something

you scoff but there's a company whose business model revolves around making GBS threads in a box and sticking it in the mail to test for colon cancer

• Locked thread