Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Eames36 posted:

Their service was going to be broad spectrum testing through a finger prick worth of blood. They claimed to be working on technology that would allow for on the spot testing of 100+ conditions through a single drop. They partnered with Walgreens I believe (a partnership that was recently broken off) to install these testing machines in their stores.

You walk in stick your finger/hand in, the machine runs your blood and you get a read out regarding a host of different things from cholesterol to VD.

i wonder how much money there is in exploiting people's irrational fear of needles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Badger of Basra posted:

i wonder how much money there is in exploiting people's irrational fear of needles

ask your past girlfriends

:newlol:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

tech_press.txt http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/23/13036012/a-note-from-the-editor-in-chief-about-chris-ziegler

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Anyone else think she is kind of cute?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Cool_tony posted:

Anyone else think she is kind of cute?

i associate her face with melting flesh

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lmao

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

theflyingexecutive posted:

Le corbusier was a loving hack and hundreds of books of architectural theory can't save his lovely soulless buildings

it blows my mind that they chose him for unhq

His furniture is pretty cool though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ha ha

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lmao snapchat spectacles

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lorn Wayne posted:

I thought they were talking about sherlock holmes at first and couldn't see anything wrong with some girl walking around with a fake pipe and weird hat and constantly saying 'elementary my dear silicon valley neighbour i fuckin want chocolate'.

But elizabeth holmes is much worse, given that ol' lizzy constantly dresses up as Steve Jobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0cdhLtYjgY

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

https://twitter.com/ProfJeffJarviss/status/780943206141816832

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpPrf4QARhQ

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

After a careful internal review, we have concluded that we did nothing wrong.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
gonna find me a big-titty dread-locked 20 year old white girl and disrupt the poo poo out of my marriage.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

this is some kind of joke/parody right?

i work in data and NOONE i know talks like this, but then again, i don't work in shitlicon valley so :shrug:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

that is extremely typical of silicon valley startup nonsense

everything must be disrupted by the data that drives it*

*tl: i'm a massive tool

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lorn Wayne posted:

i work in data and NOONE i know talks like this, but then again, i don't work in shitlicon valley so :shrug:

if you had any entrepreneurial spirit you might. this is why you're not a billionaire

i'm not surprised someone with those crazy eyes was into polyamory though

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

how are we not collectively over silicon's valley poo poo by now as a nation

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the subtle Burning Man name-drop just made me think of this onion article

the valley is beyond parody and deserves death

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Fullhouse posted:

Next year, Silicon Valley the tv show is switching genres from comedy to documentary.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lorn Wayne posted:

Nope it's real and actually a bit old
http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/29/technology/chris-messina-non-monogamy/

Behold the man who invented the hashtag

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fullhouse posted:

I live in/near the silicon valley and it's like 95% normal people. Just don't get too close to Stanford...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
That said, have another beyond-parody article: http://www.wired.co.uk/article/lsd-microdosing-drugs-silicon-valley

"Under pressure to perform, Silicon Valley champions are taking tiny hits of LSD before heading to work. Are they risking their health or optimising it?"

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

"Do you get tired of only having sex with ONE person? There's got to be a better way!"

#disrupt

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The high-pressure startup culture of the Bay Area leads many participants to view their bodies and brains as machines to be optimised using all of the tools available - meditation, yoga, Soylent, intermittent fasting, so-called "smart drugs" (including off-label ADHD and narcolepsy meds), microdosed psychedelics and legal nootropics.

"Mental creativity and performance is how people make their career here in Silicon Valley," says Geoff Woo, the CEO at Nootrobox, which makes legal supplements claimed to boost cognitive function.

"I liken professionals in industries like tech and finance to professional athletes. A slight edge over the competition can make or break the team, product and business."

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hmmm they should try what we have in the northeast, it's called depression and amphetamines

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Karl Barks posted:

hmmm they should try what we have in the northeast, it's called depression and amphetamines

it sounds like theyre already doing the amphetamine part

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

We do things a little bit differently down here in Silicon Valley. :clint:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

never has a class of laborers been so eager to be exploited as the bay area tech sector

well, except for maybe actors

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Mr. Lobe posted:

never has a class of laborers been so eager to be exploited as the bay area tech sector

they're both mostly performative jobs boom

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

I like the story how all the tech messiahs like Jobs ran a wage fixing agreement between all the big tech companies.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

most tech workers actually get paid pretty well tho

note: i am NOT a tech worker, please do not own me by claiming as much

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Vox Nihili posted:

most tech workers actually get paid pretty well tho

note: i am NOT a tech worker, please do not own me by claiming as much

when you compare the amount of money they make for their employers (approximately an order of magnitude more) and the hours and lifestyle they are expected to adopt, it is exploitation all the same.

what's a 6 figure salary mean in terms of quality of life to a person with a 70 hour workweek?

and this is to say nothing of the downward spiral of compensation. I'm understanding that positions that were once compensated 100k are now down to 40k a year. expect that to become a trend as the labor pool expands thanks to people being sold the idea that STEM degrees are the hot ticket item to a decent paycheck.

Mr. Lobe has issued a correction as of 06:44 on Sep 30, 2016

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Lobe posted:

when you compare the amount of money they make for their employers (approximately an order of magnitude more) and the hours and lifestyle they are expected to adopt, it is exploitation all the same.

what's a 6 figure salary mean in terms of quality of life to a person with a 70 hour workweek?

and this is to say nothing of the downward spiral of compensation. I'm understanding that positions that were once compensated 100k are now down to 40k a year. expect that to become a trend as the labor pool expands thanks to people being sold the idea that STEM degrees are the hot ticket item to a decent paycheck.

STEM is already severely bloated, at least at the college level. In the next two years look forward to media outlets and pundits blaming people with STEM for their own misery and underemployment. I'm just not certain what the new, flavor of the month major is going to be.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I welcome the stemlords' comeuppance

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
once they have been made to understand their situation, the stem-lords will come together and use their superior rational brains to build a distributed ai-run bot network to run an army of freedom fighting drones to overthrow capitalism. or maybe, probably, they will starve in the dark with the rest of us.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I created a data-positive/solution-oriented app that tells me when my customers want water or something like a Diet Coke. That's how we wait tables here at the Silicon Valley Olive Garden.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
What is a pick-lock compared to a bank share? What is the burgling of a bank compared to the founding of a bank? What is the murder of a man compared to the employment of a man? ... Nowadays a man must work within the law; it's just as much fun! ... In this present age one uses peaceful methods. Brute force is out of date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Top City Homo posted:

What is a pick-lock compared to a bank share? What is the burgling of a bank compared to the founding of a bank? What is the murder of a man compared to the employment of a man? ... Nowadays a man must work within the law; it's just as much fun! ... In this present age one uses peaceful methods. Brute force is out of date

well first you want to get one finger nice and lubed up.......... Is this rhetorical??!

• Locked thread