Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fullhouse posted:

the actual problem here is that people are getting tech degrees without ever figuring out what the gently caress they're doing, either by cheating the whole time or just going through a bad program (also applies to most boot camps/"Learn to code online!" programs). Then these people get to a tech interview and can't do the most basic possible whiteboard coding problem and are amazed they can't find a job with their fancy degree

doesn't matter how many people are in STEM degree programs if most of them are real loving bad at it

yeah it's amazing how people supposedly study fizzbuzz before interviews now. fizzbuzz is seriously grade school level programming and the fact that a ton of devs cannot do it without a refresher is horiffic to say the least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

imo, we need to start licensing programmers like we do engineers and having code audits for programs released to market. far too many applications today store and transmit sensitive information without the developers behind them having the slightest inkling wrt computer security. ignoring this problem is already leading to situations where we had cars on the road that could be remotely hijacked/disabled without much work.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jacobin posted:

I think this doesn't really take into account perverse incentives and diffused roles that is corporate in America , the fact that most programmers get instructed to do this poo poo by others , it's not like a profession like being an engineer or doctor where you are actually expected to have responsibility for your work product at all times

Ex. yahoo actually went completely over the heads of their security team to install the bespoke tap on their email for the govt

i am suggesting that yes, at certain times programmers should be required to sign off on their work and at times be held legally responsible for it. we're getting to where we're integrating tech enough in people's lives that it can do real harm. we got people with IoT smart homes and poo poo that can do stuff like remote door unlock.

• Locked thread