Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

What is this game?

Mario's Fundamentals, originally known as Mario's Game Gallery, is a Mario-themed board game collection for the PC, released in 1995. It's not quite as action-packed as the rest of the Mario series, but it's a really awesome look into Nintendo's past. This is the game that got Charles Martinet, the now-famous voice of Mario, his start with Nintendo. Pretty interesting, considering the fact that this game wasn't even made by Nintendo in the first place.

Why are we playing this?

Because look at it! It's like stepping into a time machine. I love old games like this, especially ones as weird and rare as this one is. I'm willing to bet that not many people have played this game, and I know that there are a ton of Mario fans out there (Amy and I included), so I couldn't in good conscience keep this from the masses. It took a long time to get working as well as it is, too, so I'm happy that we can share it with everyone here.

We already know from the start that this is going to be a short, five-episode series. We're aiming to do one video per board game, just to give people enough time to really grasp what's going on in this magical land of history and stereotypical Italian accents. There's not really a whole lot more to say about a game like this, so sit back and enjoy!

Spoiler policy

Uhhhhhh...

Episode list
Part 1: I love how much they shuffle! (Checkers)
Part 2: Reep-a Van-a Feeshy (Go Fish)
Part 3: Cuckoo crazy (Dominoes)
Part 4: Fart Sound (Backgammon)
Part 5 (Finale!): He's crying inside (Yacht)

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Checkers, the game of kings.

I could never get into Checkers because it felt more like a game of chicken more than anything; you depend on the other person making a mistake or forcing them into a bad play to win.

Also the audio glitches are going to be interesting. :stare:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

This reminds me of the Hoyle Board Game collection, in which your computer opponents are a bunch of random cartoon characters, but worse.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

tlarn posted:

Also the audio glitches are going to be interesting. :stare:

The audio glitches aren't nearly as frequent in the next episode. I'm still looking for ways to completely eliminate them, though.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Holy poo poo! I love this game collection. Great memories of playing this on the old Macs at school in the 90s...
Can't wait to see you suffer at Go Fish, because the computer cheats like a motherfucker. The other games are chill af, though.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Holy poo poo! I love this game collection. Great memories of playing this on the old Macs at school in the 90s...
Can't wait to see you suffer at Go Fish, because the computer cheats like a motherfucker. The other games are chill af, though.

Oh, you wait until the next episode. It's the first time I ever get angry at what's essentially a kids' game.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

pedrovay2003 posted:

Oh, you wait until the next episode. It's the first time I ever get angry at what's essentially a kids' game.

:getin:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does Mario's Fundamentalists contain IED assembly instructions hidden somewhere?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

SelenicMartian posted:

Does Mario's Fundamentalists contain IED assembly instructions hidden somewhere?

No, but it does contain a copy of the Bible. The King Koopa version, of course.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Like I said on the youtube comments. I need to find the Mario voice samples for this game. They're amazing.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

D_W posted:

Like I said on the youtube comments. I need to find the Mario voice samples for this game. They're amazing.

I know the music files are just sitting there in the installation folder, but I'm not sure about the voice clips. If I can find them, I'll have to upload them separately or something.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is available now! If you thought the voice clips were amazing in Checkers, wait until you hear what happens in a hardcore game of Go Fish.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
That...erm...song at the end, was that how it was intended to sound or was it glitching like some of the speech clips?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cathode Raymond posted:

That...erm...song at the end, was that how it was intended to sound or was it glitching like some of the speech clips?

That's actually kind of a mystery to us. One time -- once -- we were able to play the song itself in VLC media player, and it sounded okay, but we haven't been able to do it again, and everything else sounds okay in the game itself. There may be some glitches, but the pitch had never changed or anything; that one song just kind of exists like that, straight out of Hell itself.

EDIT: I just played it in Windows 10, and it does indeed sound like it does in the video. It's actually supposed to be like that.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 14, 2016

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
"Do you have Bob-ombs?" he asks, his eyes dark pits and hyper-realistic blood streaming from his ears.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hey, glad to see your back around. ( i know you did some horror game stuff lately, but I didn't care for that at all.)

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Air is lava! posted:

Hey, glad to see your back around. ( i know you did some horror game stuff lately, but I didn't care for that at all.)

Yeah, we kind of go back and forth. Amy and I are both big horror fans, but we also don't want to get lost in the sea of horror videos on YouTube. We don't want to bore people if we can help it. :-P

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This certainly isn't boring.

It really is interesting that this is how Charles Martinet gets his start. I'd really like to learn a few things about how he got brought on board at Nintendo proper.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Man, it's been ages since I played this game.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

GIVE ME YOUR LITTLE TOADIES!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I wish the cards had power-ups on them instead of enemies, so that you could record an ordinary SMW level overdubbed with Mario demanding shrooms.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, it's time for part 3: Dominoes! I had no idea how quick of a game Dominoes can be, so I hope you don't mind some more Go Fish as filler.

I'm pretty surprised that so many people seem to be familiar with this game. Did anyone have the original Game Gallery version? Was it any different?

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

pedrovay2003 posted:

I'm pretty surprised that so many people seem to be familiar with this game. Did anyone have the original Game Gallery version? Was it any different?
I found it on an abandonware site a while ago. The only differences I've seen are:

1. It runs in DOS.
2. The graphics are lower res and thus look even more poo poo.
3. In Go Fish, when Mario says "Come here, feeshy-feeshy!" he adds another "Heeeere feeshy-feeshy!" to the end of it. He's still animated as though he's only saying "Come here fishy-fishy," so there's just a disembodied Mario voice adding the rest as the real Mario leans over to grab another card, and it gets cut off by Mario's "Okay!" when your turn starts.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Just imagine that first Mario voice clip in SHODAN's voice because it might as well be.

SHODAN: "K-K-N-N-Nock K-N-No-c-c-k"
Hacker: "Who's there?"
SHODAN: "J-j-j-a-jamai-c-c-a"
Hacker: "Jamaica who?"
SHODAN: "J-j-jamakin' me want to crush you, In-s-sec-c-t. Now proceed to Hyd-d-roponics."

Creepy.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I believe that in that version of Dominoes, the first play is the highest double in the initial draw. I don't know why the game made you play it manually.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

I believe that in that version of Dominoes, the first play is the highest double in the initial draw. I don't know why the game made you play it manually.

Okay, that makes sense, seeing how every game started. Yeah, we had to play it ourselves while Mario mocked us for taking too long.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

*punk Mario starts a dick graffiti*
Mario has to draw a bone!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

SO I type-ah intah tha googles and foundah this-ah [LINK]

It's clean samples of all the audio files from this game. You can now have Mario say "Little Toadies" as much as you'd like.

Also check out the sound called "Yoshi Cover"

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Baby Yoshi is shocking smug looking for a semi-sentient creature whose main adult fate is slavery as a horse for a fat guy.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Do you have-a aeny... bob-ob-ob-ob-ob-ob-ob-ob-ob-ombss--s--s-s-s-sss--ss--ssss..?

That audio jutting is some freaky poo poo when it happens mid-sentence.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Do you have-a aeny... bob-ob-ob-ob-ob-ob-ob-ob-ob-ombss--s--s-s-s-sss--ss--ssss..?

That audio jutting is some freaky poo poo when it happens mid-sentence.

I'll be honest, I'm kind of loving the audio problems right now.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, everyone, part 4 is up now! I'm sorry for the major sound issues in this one, but the game really didn't want to cooperate. I found a way to at least shorten the glitches, but it happens a lot, so thanks for pushing through them with us.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Backgammon is checkers that trades kings for dice and it's bad, its whole purpose is to fill time when you're sick of checkers and the other person is too good/bad at chess

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

The only thing I know about backgammon is that no one ever wanted to play it so I never learned how. It looks like maybe not a great game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In theory there's a slightly more strategic element to backgammon, in that at any point you can dare your opponent to go double or quits, and if you take them up on it they can dare you to go four times, and so on. This is done through use of a "doubling cube".

But that would require this game to persist a state between games, so guessing not.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

D_W posted:

SO I type-ah intah tha googles and foundah this-ah [LINK]

It's clean samples of all the audio files from this game. You can now have Mario say "Little Toadies" as much as you'd like.

Also check out the sound called "Yoshi Cover"

Now, you go to the bar.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

tlarn posted:

Backgammon is checkers that trades kings for dice and it's bad, its whole purpose is to fill time when you're sick of checkers and the other person is too good/bad at chess

Okay, so it wasn't just me, then.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jesus Christ the sound problems in this part make it sound like opening a trans-dimensional rift in a crappy 60's sci-fi show.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Jesus Christ the sound problems in this part make it sound like opening a trans-dimensional rift in a crappy 60's sci-fi show.

I know, and I'm sorry about that. :-\ This particular game really hates the virtual machine. We tried others, but this setup still worked the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

No no, don't apologise, it's brilliant in how horrible it sounds!

• Locked thread