Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should I do?
Korean Spy
Tanuki
Grammaton Cleric
Cree Afro Samurai
Commie Hero
View Results

• Locked thread
Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

So, I got roped into playing a pen and paper RPG thing in a group I am part of, and I need to make a character. Game's conceit is that it is set in a world mostly like this one, but where everyone knows kung fu, magic is slightly real, mythologies are partially true, and everyone is constantly getting into massive fights out of action movies. I have five vague ideas I am thinking of running with, but I am having trouble choosing between them, or doing something else entirely.

First option: A North Korean Spy who has infiltrated the country the game is set in. This is despite being clothed in a full dress uniform at all times, simply punching anyone who points this out while promoting glorious juche thought. Roughly based on the concept of "what if https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG5ilk6kdm4 were real."

Second option: A tanuki whose fighting style is based entirely around beating people to death with his testicles.

Third Option: A Grammaton Cleric.

Fourth Option: Cree Afro Samurai.

Fifth Option: Some sort of Communist Super Hero based somewhat off of this odd movie, but less Stalinist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU9G5eMCA1o

Sixth Option: Any suggestions you guys have! If they are good enough, I will just veto the answer and run with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Fourth Option: Cree Afro Samurai.

lets jimi hendrix this poo poo :love:

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
Cree Afro Samurai sighed as he drew his katana.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Luvcow posted:

lets jimi hendrix this poo poo :love:

Cree, though.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

a cool ghost drinking coffee wearing a sweater smoking a marijuana cigarette

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

chero...cree

it seems cool, jimi is cool, he calls his katana mary or fire

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
this plays everytime he kills someone, just the opening riff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39JF5wzcYtI

Business Gorillas

:harambe:

im playing d&d on sunday and i made a halfling warlock that worships the old god STAN THE UNYIELDING

i noticed you didn't have this option in the poll so i figured i'd just go ahead and let you know

joke_explainer

If there's slight magic you should be a Slight Magician, with slight magical powers.

Business Gorillas

:harambe:

joke_explainer posted:

If there's slight magic you should be a Slight Magician, with slight magical powers.

Slight Magic Cantrips:

Lesser Inconvenience
"Quarter Behind Your Ear" Trick
Curdle Milk
Telekinesis (only works on letters in alphabet soup)
Erase Permanent Marker
Summon Fart

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Business Gorillas posted:

Slight Magic Cantrips:

Lesser Inconvenience
"Quarter Behind Your Ear" Trick
Curdle Milk
Telekinesis (only works on letters in alphabet soup)
Erase Permanent Marker
Summon Fart

drat. This could be fun too.

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Hail Stan!

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Alright, so, making profiles for both commie hero and afro samurai. But, which do you think are the best styles for an Afro Samurai sort. I get to choose three styles of these four I have narrowed it to.

Untouchable, which gives you incoming damage reduction, and represents deflecting things with swordiness or dodging.
Overwhelming, which ignores armor and shields.
Relentless, which lets you move enemies back with every attack.
Weightless, which lets you not trigger traps and landmines, and approach enemies almost instantly.

deep dish peat moss

Here's a good D&D character, play as like an ogre or dumb orc who is really good at weaponcrafting, and all you want to do is find bigger and stronger clubs so you're always trying to rip up ents or cut bones out of dragons to build yourself colossally large enchanted sticks that you can only carry because of your superhuman strength bonus

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Alright, so, making profiles for both commie hero and afro samurai. But, which do you think are the best styles for an Afro Samurai sort. I get to choose three styles of these four I have narrowed it to.

Untouchable, which gives you incoming damage reduction, and represents deflecting things with swordiness or dodging.
Overwhelming, which ignores armor and shields.
Relentless, which lets you move enemies back with every attack.
Weightless, which lets you not trigger traps and landmines, and approach enemies almost instantly.

Overwhelming katana ofc.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

problematic hug

twee afro samurai

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
Make the Korean spy as much like psy as possible

deep dish peat moss

December Octopodes posted:

A Korean Pspy

AAB

Oppan! :eyepop:

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

But then I would just end up with Kim Jong Un.

AAB

Tiberius Thyben posted:

But then I would just end up with Kim Jong Un.

hmm I think you misspelled Ken Jeong, the animal doctor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DwmPAjKb2E

for reference on combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_CUV0Er7EE

Stool Sample

EVERYONE Poops!?

Not sure how well it would fit in this setting, but an idea I've had for a while (based on a tabletop story I had read a while back) was a barbarian who also happens to be a bear. Not a druid that changes shape, just a particularly intelligent bear. A low-int, low charisma, high str and con build would work for Bearbarian, and I would probably look up the bear stats in the bestiary to see if I can transpose some of those over. The rules for the setting would probably have to be pretty damned loose for this to work though (and you may need a party member who can translate for you and keep your cover. People expect barbarians to be unintelligible brutes but it may take a shrewd druid to help explain away average bear behavior, like eating out of dumpsters. Or not, who knows.)

alternatively: a stereotypical Lovecraft protagonist: over-educated academic white dude who can see weird poo poo and has a not so great grip on his sanity. Probably best rolled as a wizard or some other kind of caster (use divining spells to 'see unnameable horrors?'

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Stool Sample posted:

Not sure how well it would fit in this setting, but an idea I've had for a while (based on a tabletop story I had a while back) was a barbarian who also happens to be a bear. Not a druid that changes shape, just a particularly intelligent bear. A low-int, low charisma, high str and con build would work for Bearbarian, and I would probably look up the bear stats in the bestiary to see if I can transpose some of those over. The rules for the setting would probably have to be pretty damned loose for this to work though (and you may need a party member who can translate for you and keep your cover. People expect barbarians to be unintelligible brutes but it may take a shrewd druid to help explain away average bear behavior, like eating out of dumpsters. Or not, who knows.)

alternatively: a stereotypical Lovecraft protagonist: over-educated academic white dude who can see weird poo poo and has a not so great grip on his sanity. Probably best rolled as a wizard or some other kind of caster (use divining spells to 'see unnameable horrors?'

This system is very fast and loose, and you can make a character based on about anything. Both your characters are totally doable. There is even a system for having your character based entirely around hijacking cars in the middle of a fight and running people over before diving out.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 11, 2016

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Stool Sample posted:

Not sure how well it would fit in this setting, but an idea I've had for a while (based on a tabletop story I had read a while back) was a barbarian who also happens to be a bear. Not a druid that changes shape, just a particularly intelligent bear. A low-int, low charisma, high str and con build would work for Bearbarian, and I would probably look up the bear stats in the bestiary to see if I can transpose some of those over. The rules for the setting would probably have to be pretty damned loose for this to work though (and you may need a party member who can translate for you and keep your cover. People expect barbarians to be unintelligible brutes but it may take a shrewd druid to help explain away average bear behavior, like eating out of dumpsters. Or not, who knows.)

this is awesome but don't skimp on the intelligence or charisma, make him heavily spiritual and wise

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Really disappointed the tanuki isn't winning

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Chill la Chill posted:

Really disappointed the tanuki isn't winning

i voted tanuki because it was the closest thing to the bearbarian

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Well, threw together profiles for Afro and Commie. Stuck between Weightless Rising Stance and Weightless Dragon Stance for Afro's last slot, if I run with him.
Votes between the two, and between those stances for Afro?

quote:

Character name: Volkov
HP: 12
Single Focus Hero
Class: Tough Hero of the Revolution

Weapons: 2 Obrez, Chauchat, and Sniper Rifle

Archtype: Archer
After rolling all of your dice each turn, you may add up to three of them together to form a single number. You gain a 1 for each action lost this way.

Akimbo Blaster Stance 3d8
Range: 2

While in Akimbo Blaster Stance, your actions that would target one person or place an obstacle in one space target a 2x2 space zone instead. Everything within the zone is affect by your action, friend and foe. Only one space from the zone needs to be within your Range. If the action places or destroys Obstacles, it places or destroys those Obstacles in every space you target.
You deal +1 damage with your second and third attacks of the turn.

Amplify: 3+ Action. Your next basic Damage, Throw, or Open The Path action this turn becomes a Line or a Blast, your choice. Apply that action's affects to everything within the Line or Blast. A Line is a perfectly straight line starting from any space adjacent to you. It is 8 spaces long and 1 space wide. A Blast is a 3x3 square area. At least one square of the blast must be within your Range.
Crazy Flips: 4+ Action. Deal 2 damage to someone adjacent to you, then move to the opposite side of them from where you were. If that space is occupied, keep going in a straight line until you get to one that isn't.

Ten-Thousand Power Stance 2d10 + d4
Range: 3-8
While in Ten-Thousand Power Stance, your first action that deals damage each turn deals +2 damage.
Any Action Dice you roll with a result of 5 or higher become split in half. For example, if your numbers for the turn would be 9, 6, 2, your numbers become 5, 4, 3, 3, 2. If you manage to roll a 9 or 10, the 5's they split into are not further split again.

Point Blank Shot: 2+ Action. Deal 1 damage to someone adjacent to you and move 1 space directly away from them.
Smash: 2+ Action. Destroy an Obstacle within range. Deal 1 damage to every enemy adjacent to it.
Cleave: 5+ Action. Deal 1 damage to two enemies within range.
Mighty Cleave: 9+ Action. Deal 3 damage to two enemies within range.

Crosshair Control Stance d10 + d8 + d6 + d4
Range: 3-12

While in Crosshair Control Stance, your Range is increased by 4. Your Range is always determined by the Style you attach to your Form. Watcher Form increases that default Range.
Your attacks ignore Armor and Shields.

Disabling Shot: 4+ Action. Choose an enemy you can see. If you deal damage to them before the end of this turn, they lose their lowest Action Die on their next turn, before rolling. You may only use this action once per turn.
Suppression: 4+ Action. Gain a Counter token. When an enemy within your Range takes an action that would move themselves or deal damage to one of your allies, you may spend a Counter token to negate that action. The action does not happen, and they lose the number they spent to attempt it.

quote:

Character name: Cree Afro Samurai [placeholder]
HP: 12
Single Focus Hero
Class: Agile Ronin Redskin

Weapons: Katana. Sheath.

Archtype: Wardancer
Your skill is completely unparalleled. All of your action dice have their numbers increased by 1.

Untouchable Fortress Stance 3d6
Range: 1

While you are in Untouchable Fortress Stance, you have 2 Armor.

Secure: 1+ Action. Gain an Iron token.
Tank. 2+ Action. Gain 2 Iron tokens.
Contain: 3+ Action. Give yourself and every Ally in range an Iron token.
Protect: 5+ Action. Give someone within range 3 Iron tokens.

Overwhelming Tiger Stance 2d10 + d4

While in Overwhelming Tiger Stance, your first action that deals damage each turn deals +2 damage.
Your attacks destroy Shields instantly - even 1 damage removes the entire pool of Shield HP.

Smash: 2+ Action. Destroy an Obstacle within range. Deal 1 damage to every enemy adjacent to it.
Armor Break: 5+ Action. Remove your enemy's Armor, then deal 2 damage to them. They lose their Armor for the rest of the round.
Cleave: 5+ Action. Deal 1 damage to two enemies within range.
Mighty Cleave: 9+ Action. Deal 3 damage to two enemies within range.

Weightless Rising Stance 2d6 + 2d4

While you are in Weightless Rising Stance, when you deal damage with an action, hit them again for 1 damage.
You ignore Rubble, Traps, Walls, and opponents while moving. You are immune to any passive effects that activate in response to your Move actions.

Slide In: 1+ Action. Choose an enemy or obstacle within Range 2. Teleport to any space adjacent to them.
Weak Point: 4+ Action. Deal 2 damage, ignoring Armor, Shields, and any passive abilities that normally trigger when they take damage. Your One-Two bonus hit from this action also gains these benefits.
Effortless: 6+ Action. Move adjacent to an enemy you can see.

-or-

Weightless Dragon Stance 3d8

While in Weightless Dragon Stance, your actions that would target one person or place an obstacle in one space target a 2x2 space zone instead. Everything within the zone is affect by your action, friend and foe. Only one space from the zone needs to be within your Range. If the action places or destroys Obstacles, it places or destroys those Obstacles in every space you target.
You ignore Rubble, Traps, Walls, and opponents while moving. You are immune to any passive effects that activate in response to your Move actions.

Amplify: 3+ Action. Your next basic Damage, Throw, or Open The Path action this turn becomes a Line or a Blast, your choice. Apply that action's affects to everything within the Line or Blast. A Line is a perfectly straight line starting from any space adjacent to you. It is 8 spaces long and 1 space wide.
A Blast is a 3x3 square area. At least one square of the blast must be within your Range.
Effortless: 6+ Action. Move adjacent to an enemy you can see.

Also, thank all of you for the help.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 11, 2016

Stool Sample

EVERYONE Poops!?

Ahundredbux posted:

i voted tanuki because it was the closest thing to the bearbarian

could just give bearbarian a huge set of balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

problematic hug

problematic hug posted:

twee afro samurai