Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Consider the following scenario:

Kim "Porky Pig" Jong Un builds up this nuclear arsenal, getting everybody real worried. The west begs him on bended knee "Please stop! Just stoppit!", like a whimpering bitch.
Now Kim has to know that if he actually nukes anyone, he's gonna get cooled off with extreme prejudice.
Even if he doesn't know, his generals do, and they likely don't wanna be reduced to a cloud of flying bones.

(Also, I think China is gonna have a plan B in the form of one or several (or most) of the generals in their pay- six feet from this shameless glutton at all times- with orders to clock him out with a 9 milli to the sconce if he actually tries to push the button.)

So then-
Kim Jong Un builds up this lunacy to a fever pitch, playing to the media, who greatly amplify the tension, and then suddenly announces to world+dog, "I'm so solly, I'm gonna give up arr the nukes right now. I am a man of peace. I have come to my senses"

The result?
Everybody unclenches,and a grateful world drowns him in money ( still much cheaper than a war), food, cheese and cognac, paves the streets of Pyongang with gold, he gets the Nobel Peace Prize, and is a hero. And all those starving people finally get fed.
I tells yah, it fits like a glove.
It's his obvious escape route. I mean, this whole thing seems like a badly written movie. Kim is like a Hollywood parody of a screwball egotistical rear end in a top hat. He can't possibly be real.
It's basically a ransom scam.

Unless he is actually a nutcase, in which case Plan B, and his successor gets the Peace Prize and does the talk show circuit.

E:
Now that I think about it, Fatass has been the author of so very much carnage and misery that he is quite unlikely to die a natural death, and sure and he knows it. Looks like Plan B after all.
He's got worse press than Hitler at this point.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Your plan sounds like a short con to getting killed by the hardliners in North Korea.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC-W0_cv85E

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded
I am sure China has penetrated his security and government.

They are not going to allow some guy to play with nukes on their southern border without some kind of emergency kill switch, as it were.
Strategic considerations require they have control over any nukes that close to the homeland.

They are fools if they don't, and the Chinese aren't fools.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Uh the DPRK already was extorting the U.S. to pay them not to make nukes. George W. Bush decided to stop paying, so Kim Jong Il built nukes. It's pretty simple.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Building nukes to deter the imperialists has been a huge part of domestic NK propaganda so unless they have control so tight they can pivot "we have always been at war with eastasia" style I don't see this happening.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
north korea won't use nukes in any sort of offensive manner. people in power like being in power and if they deploy a nuke they'll all be dead.

that being said, they'd totally use nukes in a defensive manner if there is any sort of invasion of their country, which is ultimately the whole point of nukes in less powerful countries.

don't worry about north korea. its all saber rattling to leverage international aid and domestic legitimacy.

here let this guy's cool transition lenses sooth your fears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy1iudsIKa8

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Hey, I coulda sworn I saw this exact post in the North Korea thread.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Hey, I coulda sworn I saw this exact post in the North Korea thread.

i saw this one first and then jumped over there. this video seems to be pretty popular but has had its credibility attacked in the other thread. I'm no expert so I can't exactly refute or defend it.

However, people in power get to power because they're smart and ambitious. They're not going to throw away their lavish lifestyle and doom everything they know on a whim. Even hereditary fools like KJU are surrounded by men cunning enough to survive the byzantine politics of despotism. They're not going to just throw it all away.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

i saw this one first and then jumped over there. this video seems to be pretty popular but has had its credibility attacked in the other thread. I'm no expert so I can't exactly refute or defend it.

However, people in power get to power because they're smart and ambitious. They're not going to throw away their lavish lifestyle and doom everything they know on a whim. Even hereditary fools like KJU are surrounded by men cunning enough to survive the byzantine politics of despotism. They're not going to just throw it all away.

I meant the OP. Zimboe made the post in the NK thread, and people laughed it off so I guess he made his own thread about it.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

China is in an unenviable position if you look at the situation from their point of view.

If the present regime falls, China would be drawn into a humanitarian crisis of staggering proportions. Hungry refugees would pour across the border, seeking food, medical care, and shelter. North Korea would be even more unstable without the Kim regime, even if only because the 1 million+ soldiers of the Korean People's Army would have control over a massive amount of unsecured weaponry. Finding themselves suddenly unemployed and without an income, they would use it to extort resources from whomever they could threaten. Whoever's in control North Korea's nuclear arsenal would sell them to whoever has the money. Are you listening, ISIS?

The end result would be a unified Korea under the Seoul government. South Korea is a strong US ally, and hosts several military bases with 28,500 American troops permanently stationed there. This would mean a strong US presence on China's northeastern border; something Beijing cannot abide.

Having North Korea as an ally is like having a noisy little dog that keeps the neighbors awake at night, demands regular feedings, offers little affection, and pees on it's owner's leg.

China supports North Korea not because they want to, but because they have to.

King Possum III fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 11, 2016

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
It is a childish way of attempting to get a seat at the big kids table. Incidentally, it is why they will stay at the childs table.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Maybe we should nuke them.

Just to be safe.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Volcott posted:

Maybe we should nuke them.

Just to be safe.

The mass murder of 25 million (mostly innocent civilian) North Koreans will make the world respect us again.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

King Possum III posted:

The mass murder of 25 million (mostly innocent civilian) North Koreans will make the world respect us again.

By not rising up, they've become accessories to the crimes of their overlords, and as such must pay the blood price.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
This is remarkably similar to Victor Cha's conspiracy theory in "The Impossible State: North Korea, Past and Future." Like most Neoconservative fantasies, it is a severely flawed analysis at best but more likely actively malicious.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Volcott posted:

By not rising up, they've become accessories to the crimes of their overlords, and as such must pay the blood price.

Rise up with what?

DPRK citizens don't have any type of firearms, since it's illegal to possess them. The military has all the weapons, and it would be a simple matter for them to quickly put down a rebellion.

Armed only with things like sticks and stones, they'd have no chance for success and would be slaughtered.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Known sane poster Zimboe, posting sanely.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded
North Korea is a metaphorical flaming sack of dogshit left on China's front porch. China's just gonna let it burn rather than get geopolitical poo poo all over their shoes.

That is, whoever takes down Nork will be left with the lovely task and cost of repairing the nation and it's people- and the people are as ruined as anyone on earth. Only Pol Pot's Cambodia is comparable i modern times, I think.
It will take generations for the demos to heal.

(These are known as the "Flaming Sack" and the "You break it, You buy it" metaphors, respectively.)
Much cheaper to just wait for Kim to have his heart attack or "catch a cold" (in the Russian sense) then proceed as in the OP.

E: Pardon the silly language but this is a Zimboe thread after all.

Don't wanna dissapoint ya, chums

zimboe fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 12, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Volcott posted:

Guilty of the crime of suicide.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded
Hopefully Darpa has a few toys in the attic special-built for certain scenarios
For instance:
There's been a lot of interesting work recently with fiber lasers.

The 100kw lasers they have already were made simply by coherently combining the outputs of many regular commercial-off-the-shelf fiber laser heads used in laser cutters. 3 upto 10 kW each. (Note: a major manufacturer of these is called Trumpf.)They can cut 1 1/2 carbon steel quite nicely and sheet metal at many feet per second.

Link: http://www.us.trumpf.com/en/products/machine-tools/products/2d-laser-cutting/laser-cutting-machines/trulaser-5030-5040-5060.html

The beam directing optics already exist. The lasers exist.

Vastly better than that ridiculously complex oxygen-iodine chemical laser that filled an entire 747. Five megawatts, though.
Small enough for a drone, maybe.

Maybe one day Kim will go outside and get a really sudden case of Pink Steam Explosion Syndrome.

Or it may just explosively ablate the top few centimeters of flesh facing the beam. Like maybe the top of his skull.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 12, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Both China and South Korea are actively propping up North Korea because neither one of them wants to deal with the refugee and humanitarian crisis that will happen when the regime finally falls. Right now, it is better for all parties involved to keep the horrific humanitarian crisis contained to a (semi) stabilized North Korea.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

zimboe posted:

North Korea is a metaphorical flaming sack of dogshit left on China's front porch.

More like a tire fire, I think. When you try to extinguish burning rubber with water, you just make it worse.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

Shbobdb posted:

Both China and South Korea are actively propping up North Korea because neither one of them wants to deal with the refugee and humanitarian crisis that will happen when the regime finally falls. Right now, it is better for all parties involved to keep the horrific humanitarian crisis contained to a (semi) stabilized North Korea.

Exactly. You break it, you buy it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

zimboe posted:

Maybe one day Kim will go outside and get a really sudden case of Pink Steam Explosion Syndrome.

Or it may just explosively ablate the top few centimeters of flesh facing the beam. Like maybe the top of his skull.

Why the gently caress would they do that? If you're gonna assassinate a head of state through a drone, why bother using a weird experimental weapon instead of something off-the-shelf and reliable, like a missile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

Ratoslov posted:

Why the gently caress would they do that? If you're gonna assassinate a head of state through a drone, why bother using a weird experimental weapon instead of something off-the-shelf and reliable, like a missile?

Mainly for burning his birds but still- just for the kicks of frying this greasy-chinned glutton where he stands would scare the poo poo outta these guys. they wouldn't dare go outside ever again.
There's such a thing as Force with Style, yah know. And the precision of picking out just one guy in a crowd instead of blowing up everything. Precision is its own reward.

It's not unlikelycertain they are working on this right now... The leading edge is always farther than what is publicly revealed. sometimes much farther.

The fiber laser is an amazingly elegant piece of solid state optical technology. It's like something from the future that fell through a wormhole opening 30 years from now.
I's gonna be a disruptor. megawatt CW power ought to be doable. It's tunable too.

I know this is true, I was a laser jock back in the 80's and 90's. I worked for Ortel, who invented the first erbium-doped fiber laser and fiber amplifier for cable TV repeaters, and Quantum Radiation Corporation (Quantrad) where in my lab the first argon-ion laser was built in 1967, and Xerox EOS, where we built the first laser copiers. And we had an early ion drive in a big vacuum vessel in the High Bay that had been life testing for three years. You could look through the window and see that gorgeous Xenon blue exhaust.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 12, 2016

• Locked thread