Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
if you cant make ohsa jokes about star trek get out of my thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nation posted:

if you cant make ohsa jokes about star trek get out of my thread

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I would like to discuss the incident where a cargo container fell on Mr. Worf and broke his spine. Something was clearly up not up to code.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

i would like to talk about the computer losing crew members

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I would like to discuss the incident where a cargo container fell on Mr. Worf and broke his spine. Something was clearly up not up to code.

Good thing it hit Worf tho. If it had hit some pencil-necked human they would have died for sure. Starfleet needs more Klingons.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why are the safety lockouts on the holodeck so easy to bypass and so prone to failure? Given that they seem to fail and endanger lives (and sometimes the entire ship) at least once a year, they probably shouldn't be used for recreational activities at all. Carefully monitored training programs only.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

ermmm fyad mods???

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
The container under the one that fell was leaking which appeared as frost on the containers around it. This while La Forge was looking right at it with his visor and he couldn't see it happening? I think he knew and let Worf get nearly killed.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That Robot posted:

if there are no deaf people, retarded people or crippled people in the star trek universe, is that erasure?

They still managed to have a very special wheelchair romance episode with Bashir

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

They let Wesley fly the ship from the very beginning even though he wasn't even a cadet in the academy yet.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

"transfer power from life support"

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
they made a robot 3rd in command and it hijacked the entire ship

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

um my um...my...testicles didn't come through the transporter with me

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Celluloid Sam posted:

um my um...my...testicles didn't come through the transporter with me

They must not have been there in the first place

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Cubelodyte posted:

97 times out of 100 when an admiral shows up on any Star Trek show their primary function is to force everybody into doing something stupid, unethical, or both. You'd really think Starfleet would have a lot more mutinies.

You have give credit to Admiral Alynna "Ice Queen" Nechayev for being the only admiral I can think of who wanted to the smart thing when the whole crew went with the dumb thing. Total reversal.

Crew: Hey we can use this captured Borg to destroy a vicious enemy bent on dominating the galaxy through violence and slavery. On the other hand his name is Hugh and he's being friendly now that he's our prisoner aw shucks just let him go.

Nechayev: Why the gently caress did you not destroy the Borg!?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
My bedroom is right on the same part of the ship that keeps getting shot

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
And it's full of loving bay windows

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

criscodisco posted:

My bedroom is right on the same part of the ship that keeps getting shot

literally every time i hear hull breach I know im going to need to replace my bonsai again

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Excuse me, but the steps up to the transporter are not wheelchair accessible

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

honestly though it's become a much cheaper hobby since we discovered the bonsai planet

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

why do i have to walk to the transporter

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

much like ur posting

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

Yes, let me leave these glass vases, books and trophies sitting around my quarters on a ship that bucks and gets shot at every couple hours.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I want to see ST:CSB safety videos review various incidents.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDuHxwD5R4

That could be cool.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why did the Cardassians have slaves? People are dicks.

One could probably ask the same question for most sci-fi works featuring slavery (such as Star Wars). What kind of civilization masters FTL travel, but never bothers to invent robots to do all the crap jobs?

Chomp8645 posted:

You have give credit to Admiral Alynna "Ice Queen" Nechayev for being the only admiral I can think of who wanted to the smart thing when the whole crew went with the dumb thing. Total reversal.

Crew: Hey we can use this captured Borg to destroy a vicious enemy bent on dominating the galaxy through violence and slavery. On the other hand his name is Hugh and he's being friendly now that he's our prisoner aw shucks just let him go.

Nechayev: Why the gently caress did you not destroy the Borg!?

They decided that letting him die would have been immoral, but then be volunteers to rejoin the collective (thereby not only destroying his identity, but once again becoming an enemy combatant in a war against who-knows-how-many species) and they're fine with that. Hell, I'd imagine Hugh would have been totally fine with sacrificing himself to save the galaxy if the Enterprise crew had asked nicely. After all, he volunteers

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

mods??

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i wish that guy posting gay poo poo was a redshirt haha amirite but seriously my testicles?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

One could probably ask the same question for most sci-fi works featuring slavery (such as Star Wars). What kind of civilization masters FTL travel, but never bothers to invent robots to do all the crap jobs?

Isn't robot slavery another stupid part of the Star Wars EU?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Celluloid Sam posted:

i wish that guy posting gay poo poo was a redshirt haha amirite but seriously my testicles?

dude you probably need to see a male gynocologist

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bert Roberge posted:

Isn't robot slavery another stupid part of the Star Wars EU?

Anytime you make the robots smart enough to work autonomously you get into shaky ethical ground. And occasional robot uprisings.

The main computer on the Enterprise is certainly smart enough for it to count as enslaved. Luckily the Enterprise seems okay with being an explorer, and only occasionally murderers a few of the psychotic idiot monkeys on board.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
i wanna bang a green lady

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

The complete and utter lack of spacesuits on a loving star ship should ground most of the Federation's fleet.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Who removed the guard rails form the engine room? I almost fell two stories into some plasma coils.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
No, Mr. LaForge, your visor does not count as a certified ppe.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
i would re-kajigger the teleporter thing and just use to to beam up peoples' wallets and wedding rings and then pawn them off haha yesssss nice

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I'd like to have a collaborative discussion with crew members on how we can best help Councillor Deanna Troi. Many cisgendered crew members have been having thoughts that are triggering Deanna. I would like us to discuss how we can change their behaviour and create a safe zone for Deanna.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

Anytime you make the robots smart enough to work autonomously you get into shaky ethical ground. And occasional robot uprisings.

The main computer on the Enterprise is certainly smart enough for it to count as enslaved. Luckily the Enterprise seems okay with being an explorer, and only occasionally murderers a few of the psychotic idiot monkeys on board.

Given what we've already done with robots, I can't imagine it being that hard to have them doing basic real-world labor without making them smart enough to develop free will.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Cockmaster posted:

I can't imagine it being that hard to have them doing basic real-world labor without making them smart enough to develop free will.

poo poo, I've been doing that for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
wheres the fuckin toilets

• Locked thread