Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

error1 posted:

I'm only on board with this idea if my forums pet can battle other users pets to the death

pokégoon is a good idea, that can be an additional package, we can have regular friendly pets for nonviolent ppl like me and then cool swole trainable fighty pets also

Again the revenue from buying supplements and hormones and tiny fingerless gloves for your pets would be more than we get from spite-avs, unless I have grossly underestimated the interest in lil av pets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
look at these retarded apps with their in-game purchases that are making ppl rich

this is like that but good because pets are cute and it's helpful for the forums

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Random thread button

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Waroduce posted:

Random thread button

we already have this dont we?

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Jastiger posted:

Never really did anything with Helldump so i'm not familiar. I just know someone keeps overriding my $5 with their $10 and its getting old.

:qq: :qq:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gatekeeper posted:

i have a good idea (imo) for forums revenue: avatar pets

you pay extra to make your av a special animal that you design yourself, like in those videogames where you design a character, giving her nice pretty hair and cool eyes and a tan and ripped jeans, only it's a cute pet so you choose between pupp, kitten, fishscale, hissysnake, etc

once you got the deets selected, you can choose standard pet or bonus (extra $$$) animated response pet

you put your cursor over its head to pet it and it responds by cooing at you and maybe batting at the cursor w its paws or curling up around it. you pay extra money to have a better small friend. It just makes sense.

then other ppl can pay tiny amounts (like 50¢) to give it a lil treat and in return the pet does a nice trick for them :3: it would be very cute

i could feed a tiny baby mouse to my friend nooner's snake, as for example, and it would unhinge it's jaws and eat it whole! i would pay for that.

But like all pets, it needs to eat or die. You can set up a recurring weekly debit of .99¢ or w/e to provide snakcs for your friend. Your forget about it after a while and wouldn't even notice it on your statement bc you are irresponsible with money (i'm talking of myself of course) so if you take a posting break to go to the hospital or spend some time out in the desert cleansing and getting your poo poo straighten out, you come back and your pet is ok! and you have been giving tiny bits of lifeblood to the best forums for posting with your friends that honestly I have ever seen

eventuLly this could be ramped up to include buying your pet toys or a lil hat, Halloween costume for Halloween, a sparkly bowl with their name on it for when you give it treats

Say you've taken a shine to a new poster and want to let everyone kniw "hands OfF! This one is mine!" you can buy them a pet and name it after yourself and keep them healthy and with lots of treats and presents, like a "sugar daddy" of pets, and everyone will see their pet and know it came from you and they won't gently caress around, I'm sure of it

Maybe eventually we can set it up so you can have multiple pets, a whole grumble of pugs or a lil snakepit of your own, you can scroll through them in your profile and pet them all :3:

If you want to make money, lowtax and co., heed this good suggestion.
How long has this (quite good + fun) idea been in your back pocket?

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

mangosteenhuckster posted:

Mangosteen could be part of every new feature if you let it into your life

Hilarious topical comedy from 2006

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
Gatekeeper's idea sounds great. I don't know how much work it would be to implent it though. The way it sounded to me, radium's "legacy" (which mostly seems to resemble a huge steaming pile of dung with a few motherboards sticking out) is already creating more than enough work and head scratching for ZDR as it is.

Still, I think that something like this could create a new source of income for Lowtax and Something Awful in general, and it's overall a friendly and nicer alternative to the spite avatars.

In the meantime I think the forums could be hugely improved by FREEING DRAD_BERT AND IRON PRINCE ALREADY!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What was wrong with seeing who bought your av? Or purchasing additional protection so it can't be changed so quickly? It doesnt prohibit it, and it is actually another chargeable thing. What are the draw backs?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

How about allowing users to queue up several avatar changes for someone they hate so that when Jastiger buys his stupid avatar back, the next one in the queue gets set automatically after 30 minutes?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zen death robot posted:

You don't enter your own username to buy someone else's avatar and exposing email addresses or billing info is a lovely thing to do.

Ah didn't know that, that makes sense. Maybe require that or is that crossing bounds? Sounds like you don't even need to have an account to buy?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jastiger posted:

What was wrong with seeing who bought your av? Or purchasing additional protection so it can't be changed so quickly? It doesnt prohibit it, and it is actually another chargeable thing. What are the draw backs?

Nobody's going to spray a "suck my dick, fuckman" graffiti on a house protected by CCTV.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I do think the Posting Gloryhole should have a high score list for which users has had the most avatar abuse money spent on them though

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

error1 posted:

I do think the Posting Gloryhole should have a high score list for which users has had the most avatar abuse money spent on them though

This actually seems like a cool idea. Not going to revolutionize our Web 3.0 experience or whatever but something fun to check in on.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Nobody's going to spray a "suck my dick, fuckman" graffiti on a house protected by CCTV.

I think you highly underestimate the rage some people have. Ive had probably 10 different avatars in my time here and ive only ever paid for 2 of them. Thats at least $80 spent just on trolling me and im small fish in that department. I highly doubt that would curtail avatar purchases.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Jastiger posted:

what does it matter, are you going to track them down and kick them in the balls or something, what difference does it make

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

what does it matter, are you going to track them down and kick them in the balls or something, what difference does it make

Yes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

Because the only fleeting pleasure in some Goon's lives is the ability to graffiti all of your posts, man.

It would be too much like reddit in here if people's accounts couldn't be drawn upon, and we can't have that.

One day, SA will rise again, and there will be lemon-soaked paper napkins.

Until that time, there will be a short delay.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe
5'd

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I think you highly underestimate the rage some people have. Ive had probably 10 different avatars in my time here and ive only ever paid for 2 of them. Thats at least $80 spent just on trolling me and im small fish in that department. I highly doubt that would curtail avatar purchases.

have you considered posting good instead of posting bad?

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

satanic splash-back posted:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

let's be realistic guys

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

i believe my avpets will help with this too actually

imagine for a moment you have spent a tidy sum of euros (imagine you are from europe) and sleepless nights sculpting the perfect avpet. it coos when you click it. it only eats blue buffalo. it has a gold pressed latinum collar studded with dilithium crystals. it is trained by e-caesar to do 12 tricks. maybe it is one of those designer werewolf cats that looks expensively mangey and sick. it is the ultimate goon status symbol.

do you really want jastiger-quality posts sitting next to sweet lil clawdia hisstian?

in my imagination, no. no, you do not.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Is that cat dying?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My posts are good though? That is what all my post analyists are telling me.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:ironicat:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
it was me mabye

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Tricky D posted:

Is that cat dying?

it's a werewolf cat and it'll set you back about 2700 euros

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
A cat that turns into a wolf on the full moon?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gatekeeper posted:

Think how many avs you could buy jastiger with that money

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

i think the forums should be free

Free Drad_bert.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

Think how many avs you could buy jastiger with that money

Sabre rattling will get you no where. This is cyber bullying and you can rest assured this thread will be a hot topic on the morning pearl-clutching talk shows.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

i got a couple a' pearls you can clutch, you perpetual victim

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

BigBadSteve posted:

Free Drad_bert.

Exactly.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Jastiger posted:

In eight years, you've only dropped $10 on your own avatars, and now it's "getting old"?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Airborne Viking posted:

In eight years, you've only dropped $10 on your own avatars, and now it's "getting old"?
The cure for fail aids is extremely expensive and, as we can tell, minimally effective.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Airborne Viking posted:

Ive "won" a few other avatars and all of the changes to the ones I spent money on came within a week or so. That is what gets old.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gatekeeper posted:

why, is she an insurance scam artist or something

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

All cats are, that's why they keep knocking all your expensive poo poo off the tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

you creep me the gently caress out, dude

• Locked thread