Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

JaySB posted:

Can be an experienced grappler who has never put on a gi

Sambo has jackets too. I think it's more that I crosstrain at a BJJ club that has like 30-person classes and none of the coaches really know me at all. I'm honestly not sure how you're supposed to get belt promotions there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

There's no belts in sambo.

Actually, we have red belts and blue belts :toot:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

The kurtka has an extra fold at the shoulder to facilitate gripping there, doesn't it?
IMO makes it even more grapply than a gi.

That's just like judo white vs blue gis, right?

Yeah it's just for scoring. The ref has a red wristband and a blue wristband and signals points with his fingers on the corresponding hand.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yuns posted:

In our advanced no gi classes, if you tap, you tap. No one gets taken seriously if you make some bullshit excuse like I tapped to pain but that isn't a "real" submission. For example, our guys can and will choke you over your face and chin and no one cries about it.

If some white belt taps me with some crazy sub I've never seen before, I'm going to ask him to show me later the set up and mechanics of the sub to learn it. I am not going to tell him it's not a real sub.

To clarify, these are higher belts coming over to "coach", not guys making excuses for getting caught. I wouldn't want anyone to be under the impression that I'm doing anything other than getting my rear end kicked when I roll with brown and black belts.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 25, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Go do whatever you find coolest and most fun because that's what you're most likely to actually stick with.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ihop posted:

If I'm shopping for wrestling shoes, should I go snug like snowboard boots or loose like running shoes? Anything to look for/avoid in any particular model?

They should just be, you know, comfortable. I guess you want them relatively snug? But really they should just fit properly.

Are you buying wrestling shoes for actual wrestling? If you're getting them for another grappling sport...don't.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ihop posted:

Wrestling class. It's probably my terrible technique but the shots are tearing up the tops of my feet and toes. Plus I figure they'll help inhibit my inclination to use leg sweeps and focus on shooting.

Okay. I always advise people to stay away from wrestling shoes for not-wrestling because they're too grippy for some of the more dynamic pivoting movements you see in stuff like sambo and judo and can result in a greater risk of injury.

If your priority is on protecting your feet then sambofski are the best of both worlds, they're basically wrestling shoes but with leather soles so you can slide and pivot more easily. I wear them for literally everything, even BJJ, mostly because then I don't have to worry about things like turf toe or getting toenails ripped off or getting athlete's foot.

http://www.afinternationalsporting.com/product_info.php/products_id/183

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Pro athletes are also loving mutants, and if they're elite MMA fighters...it's not really something that should inform how "actual" fights tend to go.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

cigaw posted:

Anyone got recommendations on good Muay Thai gyms in Sacramento/CA?

I'd also be interested in a Hapkido gym if anyone can personally attest for a decent one. In my experience these are few and far between and usually poo poo.

Hapkido is like systema, i.e. insanely dumb and I don't think a "good" Hapkido gym exists on this earth.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Agreed, especially as exclusive bjj doesn't work in mma anymore it's been fairly over played and considering its invention was to dominate mma it carrying on as a sport seems redundant.

oh man there is a lot to unpack in this post

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I am about to head to the gym so here is the situation.

I volunteer with a charity and we have a large high street building where families can come in and see us during a fairly sensitive time in their life. Last Friday a guy came in wanting help with something we do not offer help with, and was apparently fairly creepy in general, he went away but then came back yesterday wanting to speak to the same young lady who saw him again and again told him we couldn't help him, he then professed his love and told her he was going to be her boyfriend. :tinfoil:

She sends him away and says she already has a boyfriend, he comes back today this morning, asks to see her, she sends him away again very quickly, he then comes back a few hours later when I am in the back office, she is in with a family and another of my colleague tells him he cant see her but how can he help, he then demands to see her, gets irate, another staff member comes and gets me and says she is worried for the guy telling him no, so I go down, and as I walk in the room the guy is telling us all how he is a gangster and how hes killed thousands before and that we are all next, how hes going to kill our families and that he isn't leaving until he see's his new girlfriend. (who has heard him this whole time from the reception area, is in a meeting room with a family who are scared, and she is now bricking it and practically crying).

What would you do?

Everyone volunteering there is either early 20's or late 50's retired.

You call the police, you don't assault a psychotic person because they're making threats.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Yup, I took my jacket off and undid a few buttons so I could move a bit more but as this thread advises, I went with the de-escalation. When he moved forward I moved forward and he ran out being a weirdo. He has threatened to come back and stab the old guy who said no originally and the police literally couldn't give a poo poo and have just said call again if he shows up, despite knowing who he is nd confirming he has mental problems.

If he comes in again and at any point puts his hand in his pocket I'm knocking him out.

I don't think you know what "de-escalation" means.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Look everyone, I'm not a violent person. For instance, there's this homeless guy on my block that I walk by every day and as much as I'm aching to with every fiber of my being, I haven't beaten the poo poo out of him once

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Was Bruce Lee as good as people say he is?

At what? Acting? He was pretty good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

What has to happen for BJJ to make it into the summer olympics?

Give like $100 million to the correct assortment of grifters on the IOC

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It's a real shame that wrestling moves are so strong, and judo moves are so weak in comparison.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Novum posted:

Are you at ny combat sambo or am i thinking of someone else?

That's me.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Imagine how good judo would be if the only legal move was a frankensteiner.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Novum posted:

Right on, a guy who just started here gave gave you guys props. Says he trained there and it was good times.

Cool!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Hey Mecha, I've got a question on the subject of sambo takedowns. In Sport versus Combat Sambo, what are by far and away the most spammed/important techniques people use at a high level? Is there a general consensus or is it kind of a dumb question?

I seem to recall being told in Combat Sambo that it was basically almost always singles, doubles and some variation of a hip throw because everything else was harder to use because of strikes. Am I completely off base?

kimbo305 posted:

Is there anything in the Combat Sambo ruleset that would make takedowns that different than in MMA? I guess you can close to a clinch differently by grabbing the jacket?

Yeah, throwing casting punches into collar grip (into hip throw, front trip, etc.) is definitely a thing in combat sambo. As is throwing overhand punches while going for a single or ankle pick or whatever. Shots in general are strong because even if it gets stuffed, you can get a belt grip and continue from a good position. Stuff like drop shoulder throws are maaaaybe less common 'cause you can still get punched in the face if you wind up in turtle but you still see them.

In sport sambo, hm...high level sport sambo is probably more about foot sweeps than, say, judo, even if it's not the foot sweep itself that necessarily results in the takedown. The foot sweep in sambo is like a jab in boxing. There's also a lot of deep entry throws, like drop shoulder throws and fireman's carries, and sacrifice throws. But overall, it's a pretty wide variety. You could always just watch some high level sambo and take notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyNIzMc3KWE

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 27, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Thanks for the pointers. As a supplemental question, Reilly and Steeve used to both teach ankle locks following a numeric value to indicate how advanced the position was. like one, two three (the saddle) and four (the knot). Is there a form a positional hierarchy in grips standing that follows the same idea? Like is Georgian grip considered a better grip in general? Where could I find resources for that kind of stuff?

Sort of, but it's going to be about your personal game and what throws you like doing from which grips. So I might start with a collar grip and try to snap down so I can move to a Georgian grip because I like the leverage and like working from there, but it's not like a belt grip is inherently better than a collar grip.

Throws are a lot more dynamic than leglocks, like if you have the leg knot nobody's going anywhere. If I have a Georgian grip, but my opponent has a bodylock and is in the middle of suplexing me, my grip doesn't mean much.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 27, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

What are the ringout rules?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79JDNdrm-HM&t=72s
Does he take a penalty for tapping out of bounds? Why does he have to tap instead of having the ref break it?

The ring doesn't factor into scoring like in shuai jiao, the guy tapped because he was getting choked but they'd been reset because they were out of bounds. Red got cautioned for going out of bounds intentionally, but seems like it was worth it. 2 warnings and you get DQ'd. If you throw someone out of bounds the throw is still scored.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 27, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

His Purple Majesty posted:

What kind of strength and conditioning routines do you guys use to supplement your punchsport/pajama wrestling?

I play a lot of video games

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I've always liked Wushu in the sense that it looks cool.
This, however.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOW9LvqXwmA&t=157s
It gets somewhat better later on, but even so.

This is rad as hell, what's your issue with it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

You take your piercings out before getting on the mat.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

quote:

Ding squared up to Xu again, but was punched, kneed, and then thrown head first into a dragon-wrapped column. By this point Ding had a bloody face, but still seemed game to continue fighting. He squared up to Xu one final time and ate a load more punches before the fight was finally called off.

Taiwan News reports that the referee declared the fight a draw.

:lol:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

willie_dee posted:

On a serious note I'm just wondering if there is literally anything this poor bloke can do, and I guess the answer is nope your hosed.

There is; you insure your vehicle.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Favorite techniques being the ones you use the most -- checks out.

I'm not sure how well asking my opponent to hold on a minute while I adjust my cup would work out in a self-defense situation

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

spb posted:

My ear has been sore, to the pointing theres discomfort when sleeping on my side. I've started wearing ear protectors when rolling but we were doing drills tonight and I realized it was getting sore from that too. Going to look like pussy wearing ear protectors for drills..

Nobody cares if you're wearing headgear.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Wearing a mouthguard is more about protecting your training partner from your teeth, which are sharp and have a tendency to cause really nasty infected wounds because of mouth bacteria. I refuse to roll with people who don't wear them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JaySB posted:

Who the gently caress is biting you while rolling or why are your fingers in their mouth consistently?

I have yet to encounter a situation where I would have bitten my training partner. I've been kneed, elbowed and punched in the jaw a bunch and bitten my tongue a bunch but never that.

Do you do much throwing or wrestling from standing? When you do high velocity stuff people get hit in the mouth sometimes.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 8, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JaySB posted:

A bit, but never been in a position to be bitten.

It's not "biting", it's taking an elbow or headbutt to the mouth. To wit: http://ballislife.com/remembering-david-lees-nasty-career-threatening-elbow-injury-caused-by-wilson-chandlers-tooth/

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

At my sambo club, you're not even allowed to roll if you don't have a mouthguard.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Usually, from my experience, when people start busting on you then you're part of the team.

Nobody's ever busted on me at the gym, thank god

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Having / arriving at a signature move is one of the most satisfying parts of martial arts -- something that you happened to preferentially practice and refine until you really made it work for you.

It was gratifying to discover that the the flying elbow was my signature move, but the opportunity to bust it out doesn't come up very often

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I see elbows as a problem across striking arts. There's probably plenty of people who would be savants at throwing elbows, but it's hard to spar with them safely and so they get proportionately less time to R&D their technique. Unless they're Thais, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfq3BkOBC4

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Does anybody have any advice for protecting messed up (broken) toes while doing muay thai?

Do people wrap feet like hands? Is there a particular brand of wrestling shoes that is really good?

My advice is stay home and chill until it heals

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

<:mad:> This is why we don't have more tradmartial arts goons around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXJmfd3cmg

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

this week they brought a caricature artist to work and I had to sit there as he drew me listening to him talk about his japanese jiu jitsu experience and how his green belts would tap out 3rd degree BJJ black belts with their secret moves. he was so fat and his pony tail was so long and I didn't know that people like him existed in real life. i didnt want to believe

...do you work at a carnival?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I've been thinking more about the WC range issue. In a street fight, I could see a lot of value in throwing open finger strikes to the face, trying to get an eye. It doesn't have to have much power, but most of the other jab mechanics carry right over. Having your fingers and palm speared out gets you another 4-5" of reach, too.

Favoring speed over speed+power means that you could throw arm punches at range instead of sitting more. And these arm punches could conceivably be more easily parried by arms from the head-up, torso on centerline WC stance. Basically a more formalized slapboxing style. I don't know that it's meaningful to stay at that range for long in a fight. A lot of WC choreography goes into super long chess-like if-this-then-that response chains. And by long, I mean even 3 or 4 back and forths. Anything more complex than the pummeling from wrestling drills.

The most value I could see from training WC is parrying a straight punch and stepping/pivoting to the outside, which opens up their head and body to you, or you can stay close and go for an arm drag or back take.

Super advanced intercepts would be like that elbow Weidman landed on Mark Munoz, where you land a harder weapon at closer range because you know your opponent is moving in. But even there, Weidman still plans for a counter (or attack, really) by moving his head offline.
https://i.imgur.com/hSnmL7k.mp4

The footwork and hip rotation that creates the power on that elbow is also only possible because of Weidman's boxing/kickboxing/MMA stance. And he's able to time and land it because he was able establish range with conventional strikes.