Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

I have a new favourite turnover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C0JVGcIYv8

This thing is dope as hell. Been flipping guys much heavier than me so easily. Worst case I force some hands to move away from their lapels so I can try and go for my favourite choke of all the time, the good old clock choke.

No one has tried to invert their guard or just roll on the arm you threw across their body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

TheChimney posted:

Does anyone have experience with this gym?

http://www.mebjj.com

I don't know anything about it, but I know there's a Paragon Jiu Jitsu, a Jean Jacques Machado school, a 10th Planet, as well as a Gracie Humaita....Try em all see which you like best.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Recently in BJJ a guy showed me a good move for getting a submission from side control, where you basically use one side of your gi as a garrote - say you've taken side control on the other guy's left side, you take the right corner of your own gi, pass it to your other hand to loop it around the back of his neck, then sort of twist away so your head is facing the same direction as his feet. Is that sort of thing permitted in a competition context?

I imagine it would be but for some reason it doesn't really feel like it should be. (Maybe I'm just saying that because it's probably the single strongest choke I've been in!)

So...This? Yeah that's legal. Welcome to the world of gi chokes. There's a lot of em.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPLRxYhrr_U

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

I've been doing judo for 8 years so maybe that's why gi-stuff is easier but the anaerobic quality of grappling really caught me off guard. After 6 months of only grappling as excercise I lost a lot of muscle mass and rolling was every time just as hard, I think strength and condiyioning is a thing for me.

Half guard, deep half....Figure out ways to slow your opponent down and do less work on your own, work on your breathing. Losing muscle mass isn't a necessarily a bad thing for grappling.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm getting ready for my first BJJ tournament as a white belt. I've been going through the rules book and familiarizing myself with the ref's hand signals and fouls and prohibited techniques. Does anyone have any general advice for a tournament newbie?

Game plan. Breathe. Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0HTOI9qKkk

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

Funny you mention takedowns. I do have some TD and TDD training from my striking experience. My question is, will the ref hit you for stalling in the stand-up phase if you are moving around your opponent, fighting off grips/takedowns but still taking shots, etc?

No, but don't be too committed to getting a takedown standing. Feel your opponent out, test their strength, balance, etc and then take your shot but if it doesn't work don't be afraid to just pull guard. You burn a TON of energy in the standup fight.

Oh yeah, be prepared for your adrenaline dump. Breathing and trying to remain calm are suuuuuuper important otherwise you'll gas out.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mursupitsku posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a BJJ gym in Singapore? I'm going there to be an exchange student in January and I'd like to continue doing BJJ. I have trained for a bit over 3 months so beginner friendly gym would be nice. Id wish it to be reasonably easily reached from the campus of NUS with public transport. That the most important thing to me.

It's a bit of a far fetch to ask here but I distantly remember someone asking the same thing some time ago.

Evolve MMA

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Just came here to call your girlfriend dumb and you dumb for staying in the gym. Seriously though find a new gym where you can be comfortable to train. Your now ex gf obviously has some pretty deep daddy issues so it's better you found out now rather than down the line.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KildarX posted:

As well all well know all martial arts are bullshit except for ameridote which is perfect.

Master Ken is a god amongst men

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Magnus Manfist posted:

Similar note - I saw the first Lethal Weapon the other day. It's mentioned a few times that Mel Gibson knows jiu-jitsu, and then in the final fight he does actually finish Gary Busey with a triangle. It's an 80s action film, I assumed "jiu jitsu" just meant generic movie-martial arts and the fight would all be spinning back fists and poo poo (ok most of it is)

It's so sloppy too

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Two reasons:
Some practitioners believes it works in a street fight and..
A lot of BJJ, etc thinks it it doesn't work in a street fight , then it's hokey.

Have you ever seen aikido practiced on a resisting opponent? Yeah, neither have I.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Although I am a BJJ practitioner I don't particularly care if someone wants to learn another martial art. But I would strongly suggest that whatever your motivation for taking a martial art or combat sport is you take one that has the added benefit of being practical as a self defense application (boxing, wrestling, muay Thai, judo, jiu jitsu, sambo, etc). Although, if your main goal is to resemble Steven Seagal, by all means take Aikido.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Wait are you trying to defend Aikido?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Bangkero posted:

Are they any better than someone who trains wing chun or aikido? Are they any better than someone who trains in a wing chun gym that spars? :shrug:

Yes

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Better at what?

Everything

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

I just started training BJJ last week. I found a nice, inviting gym and I'm having a ton of fun. My legs have been sore the day after a class and I'm not very flexible. Are there any stretches that you guys can recommend that might help to prevent the soreness and help with the flexibility? It's mostly my calves and my hips that are the most sore.

Congrats and welcome. Flexibility will come with time, you're gonna be sore for a bit too because your body is working in ways it's really unaccustomed to. Epson salt baths help.

As for stretches, I'm partial to runner's lungers and S mount stretches

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I dunno anything about this school but I've seen some of Elliot Bayev's videos and he does not strike me as "bro" at all so maybe try here?
http://www.openmat.ca

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Subyng posted:

What can I do when someone is trying to pass my open guard, but I'm blocking them with one knee on their belly? I find myself in this situation a lot and it seems pretty trivial for the opponent to just push my legs away or spin around, and when they're sinking their weight down on my leg I kind of feel stuck.

Knee shield half guard...

Or start doing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBmPIEn92CI

Or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me6AZuicrpc

JaySB fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 12, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Did some MMA rounds for the first time in a while. Jesus christ I need to get in better shape than BJJ requires.

Wrestle, from standing

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

Started my first BJJ class today. I get a feeling this poo poo is addictive...

It is. Welcome to the club

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spiralbrain posted:

Thanks. I do worry a little bit though. Im getting old and my back aint what it used to be. Are there any excercises you guys recommend for strengthening it up?

It will get stronger as you roll, just take it easy to start and gradually ramp up intensity. However, deadlifts, kettle bell swings, turkish get ups, and power cleans are never a bad idea to supplement your workout routine with.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Rogan and Eddie Bravo love yoga...Take that as you wish

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

LionArcher posted:

I'm not saying I'd not get hurt, (if it's a good MMA or BJJ guy I'm sure I would) but I'm the one walking out of that encounter.

As for the other points saying that it sounds like I was bad at my job for getting in all those encounter working security, here's the thing; a lot of it was an Irish pub where for the first two years there were a couple of bartenders that liked to over serve it's cliental, in a kind of funky area of Oregon where there's a lot of dudes who work out and drive around in their trucks and not much else. I"m honestly surprised that more fights didn't occurre.

Part 1...I mean lol you can't know that for sure but I'm glad that you have confidence in your abilities...
Part 2...I was a bouncer at college bars as well that liked to over serve and in the 3 years I did that job I got into less than a handful of altercations. Probably has a lot more to do with you or your staff than your patrons. We broke up quite a few fights, I've been called every name in the book and had people want to fight me countless times. Not that many people are throwing punches unless you're a oval office.

KildarX posted:

A gun is also a stupid idea if you're being robbed by a guy with a gun, because unless he's an idiot he's gonna shoot you in the face if you start trying to draw, because he's probably caught you unaware in the first place.

edit: personally I feel the only time a gun for self-defense might be the correct option is if there is a home invader, and you're ok with shooting and killing someone for breaking into your house. None of that "I've got a gun" shenanigans,call the cops, ambush the dude, and cap him. Personally wouldn't do it because I don't feel like I could be ok with my self killing another dude, but that's probably the only situation outside of LEO or Military action where a gun might be a good option tactically and strategically.

edit 2: What you guys think? is there a good accessory for self defense. The issues I see is that if a weapon is lethal you have to be ok with killing a dude, it has to be easily usable if pressed in the worst situation, you have to be able to have a trainer or something you could practice with on another live human, and it can't be something whose efficacy goes down if you draw it after a fight begins.

I think it's all really situational. I have a few friends that can draw from concealment and put 3 rounds on target in under a second. If you truly feel your life is in danger that's probably an invaluable skill. Then there's the obvious case for women vs attackers.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The second is the question I'd like to ask the thread: when you're rolling with someone, what's the best way to initiate the roll? Usually when I'm rolling with someone else, we'd both start in combat base and try for a few grips, then the other guys always sort of bull into me and get me in a bad position. Evidently I need to rethink my approach. What are some good methods for starting off a roll?

I basically pull half guard every time now. I used to grip fight a ton but kinda just stopped wasting my time. Generally speaking guys at my gym want to come forward so I'll just let them.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KildarX posted:

I will say if BJJ does have one significant weakness is that most Gyms in my experience don't do any sort of stand up practice beyond maybe a few minutes here and there of demoing a single or a double, but they generally don't work it long or consistent enough to actually have a meaningful standup besides grips and pull guard.

I agree with this as well. The caveat is that the average BJJ practitioner is there as a casual player and getting thrown around from standing really really really sucks and the chance of injury is much higher. So unless the school is large enough to separate the competition/advanced/those who want to train from standing students from the rest you risk alienating a large portion of your membership.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Siivola posted:

It can be beneficial for stuff like posture, muscle control and grounding. There's a bunch of neat biomechanics behind tai chi push hands stuff, it's not based on pure magic.

I remember reading about a BJJ guy who tried tai chi and found it made his BJJ game a lot better? I might be just imagining things.

People say the same about yoga

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I want to also see this but for real

https://youtu.be/hp9-jKO_K98

A couple related videos later...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl_F9qfxcnc

In theory the Muay Thai frame is similar

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Right, I want to see it for real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WNtL4UKcwA

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Right, I want to see it for real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtQdCuxuWXw

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Which is funny, because my head sensei is about 5.9 and would be BRUTAL in a sparing match. He's a fast sixty year old who also has a black belt in karate, and is nasty when you spar with him. (He does this sometimes with hire ranks). Chances he'd do a wrist lock or two and if it didn't work he'd just out strike the other person.

I know that you're defending your art and sensei and all but have you ever seen him spar with someone who's of similar skill level in another martial art? Or even a similar skill level in Aikido

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Basically all chokes are legal in BJJ. The specific choke you are referencing seems really easy to defend though.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

The orthodox judo method is pretty much what Neil Melanson was doing in that vid you posted a few pages back. It would be easy to turn out of it if your face wasn't on uke's face.

Gotcha. Was having trouble envisioning the method.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

quidditch it and quit it posted:

It's just a rad no-gi baseball bat choke, with all the pros and cons that no gi has. Make sure you do the cool slide through with the knee to strip the inside defending arm!

You can paper cutter choke in gi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJgLSOlD3YQ

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Presuming this to be the case, does anyone have any advice about whether there's anything I can do to hasten its recovery? I don't really want to end up not being able to train for a long time. :(

PRP or stem cell injections seem to work wonders

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Does he not realize that higher belts will often let you get subs to make you feel good about yourself or to improve your technique?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I did some jits last night wearing shorts as opposed to spats or gi pants for the first time in over a year. How do you monsters do that? Why would anyone want to grapple in shorts?

Like fight shorts or gym shorts?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Congrats

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Ride a stationary bike in a trash bag suit and sit in the sauna

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Everyone should just drop whatever they are doing and take Aikido
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFdhoi3wRII

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Maybe you need to come off the gear and have a reality check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I made that excuse at least 10 times before I finally dragged my rear end in the gym. There's no shape like grappling/fight shape anyway.