Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't know a ton about it, but I'd heard that the founder of Judo had a distinct, now largely neglected branch of Judo (Kosen Judo?) Intended for college students and other part timers and like Jiu Jitsu it was focused on ground work. Furthermore, this was specifically because the amateur and the pro could do ground work (newaza?) on similar terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can I get recommendations for inexpensive mma gloves and shin guards? They're just for the gym and I don't want to spend extravagantly, but I also don't want to buy lovely products that either don't last or leave me unsatisfied. So, what's the Fuji Gi of mma gear?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

Do you want the puffy kind that are more padded?

Normally, as in boxing, I'd say sparring = more padding, but we're primarily a jiu jitsu gym so maybe I need what are apparently called "grappling gloves"? I've been boxing 3 days a week with a guy and, as I've gotten more comfortable, he's mentioned transitioning to actual mma instead of my current method of separately learning jiu jitsu, boxing, and kick boxing.

I didn't really know about these two versions, maybe I need to ask at my gym first. I mostly see people wearing boxing or kick boxing gloves, I didn't pay enough attention the last time the mma amateurs and pros were working.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

I would love a lighter form of rolling/sparring. Where everyone involved knows it's not the same as full speed, but they still want to put their bodies through the motions, and have the experience and control to keep things light.

At the end of every class I hit up a guy in his 50s for a round "flow rolling" which, for us, is just very light and not really full speed or resistance. He says it helps him get in more mat time without getting too banged up and whatever, its just five minutes to accommodate him.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Seriously, my gym is like "we are cleaning everything super good" and I'm thinking "but if they cough on me?"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone fishing for an underhook on my leg, and searching my gi pants for a fold of fabric, got their body alignment wrong and grabbed as much of my limp dick as they could find. Frankly, I'm just grateful it was drilling, because if that had happened at speed, and with the intent to pull me off balance..

Come to think of it, He's the same guy that once dropped a hard knee-on-belly that got me to erupt in a powerful fart, so I guess we're even. Jiujitsu is cool.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Don't fight in the streetz but that spinning kick was pretty sweet.

Also, if I took a round house kick to the ribs, from a big man, with training, from behind, when I was already winded, I'm not sure "walk away with a limp" is something I could manage.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Any recommendations for a heavy bag app? I have one, shoutbox timer, but it's not great. I'd be willing to pay.

I mean the kind of app that would say like "one one three" and "round house"; reacting to an app is fun for me, but the one I have just can't possibly be the best one available.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally, what I do is compete in local grappling tournaments and then play at baby kickboxing at the same gym with other Jiu-Jitsu guys who are pro and amauter MMA fighters. They spar super light (with me), and I get the fun of learning kick boxing (at a low level), but I'm not going hard with people who actually want to hurt me.

So, you know, you don't have to pick one or other, and you don't have to do both at the same level of intensity.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe I'm wrong, but the right hook is 99% of what I'm expecting and worried about from some regular dude.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have on of those bag on stands and, while im reasonably happy with it, I will say the frame makes a looot of noise when the bag is hit.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So wait, not everyone is unable to watch instagram videos because they haven't registered? I'll need to look into this.

For now I'll just imagine what I bet is a siiiiick throw.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hadn't heard anything about but I'd be really bummed to hear he was saying anything irresponsible or disingenuous about CTE; all the clips I've seen he takes it seriously and always seems to be on "the right side of history" regarding combat sport health risks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Looks like it's this, here's a five minute video. I'm only skimming it because it's already past my bedtime, but so far it just seems like it's an incremental improvement over what the UFC uses now, I don't know if that's true or not but it doesn't sound like a snake oil pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRGupKJ8Hbs

Edit: Also, I mean, it's the guy in the interview pushing it, and Joe Rogan accommodating him. Which, you know, is super on brand for Joe, for better or worse.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Xand_Man posted:

This is the punchsports equivalent of a war crime

Regarding sparring habits, I don't wanna be too humorous, but I think the skills you gain from training are going to vastly outweigh any conditioned responses from sparring etiquette.

Like, regular rear end dudes can't control their reaction to a one - two, and that's way worse than me not internalizing the cobra kai mantra.

Edit: oh, i don't know what glib means, I looked it up.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 22, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I quoted you more as a way to continue that conversation than to disagree with what you said, I should have been clearer about that, sorry. Not that I really think any of this topic was 100% serious.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My shin pads didn't fit me and it meant that every 30 seconds the pro fighter babying me through a 2 minute round had to stop his merciless assault to let me gently caress with them...but I bought them through the gym and sort of silently waited for the gym owner to see that they don't fit me before I bought new ones (which did happen after like the third time, thank god).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Any recommendations for kickboxing (punching and kicking) pads that will fit a wrapped hand and cost $100 or less? Personal use so they don't need to be "pro" quality but idks and would like to buy something decent for the price (and, quite specifically, the everlast boxing mits I bought once didn't really fit wrapped hands, which was a huge inconvenience).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes, thank you; I'm still out from covid but any day now both and I a friend who also trains will have both our shots, hoping to do some drills and stuff.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe stuff like contact juggling and sleight of hand.

For years I wore motorcycle gloves and got noticeably better at using house or bike keys or fastening my helmet while wearing them. Novice or occasional riders would always take their gloves off if they had to do anything like that, but I, while still worse than with no gloves, could "feel" through the gloves well enough to make do.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does anyone know of any articles, reviews, blog posts etc about the dark comedy The Art of Self Defense from a MMA/TMA perspective? My coach recommended it to me, I loved it, but the reviews I'm finding online, from slate, WaPo, Roger Ebert, etc; don't seem to fully engage with the movie the way I think someone who actually trains might.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

Jack Slack said something positive about that movie on a podcast a while back. Can't remember details.

I'm not familiar with him, but a quick Google search suggests I should be, I'll check it out, and maybe also this collection of essays, thanks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

e: put another way -- what would you expect the reviewers with some training to say differently?

The send up of gym culture specifically. The reviews I've read aren't bad, and engage well with the movie in its larger themes of violence, self defense, and toxic masculinity, but some of the jokes that landed best with me are specific to the training. Like, how obsessed he is with his yellow belt.

I want to clarify I wasn't at all hoping for a technique critique of the fights or anything.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nestharken posted:

I did find it funny that the grappling demonstrated was technically sound (the director is a BJJ purple belt, IIRC) but the karate explanations were completely nonsensical ("kick with your fists", etc.).

I got the same impression for the same reasons, as well as " I'd use a bow and arrow choke" which, while not an exotic move, isn't as ubiquitous as arm bars, triangles, and rear naked chokes (which they even identified as a strangle).

It did lead to some dissonance though because the movie seems like it's set in the mid 90s and I was surprised when this walking talking black belt magazine cover art of a sensei was apparently at the cutting edge of martial arts.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone have a rec for a good judo school in north jersey?

If no one else has a better recommendation you could maybe email Shintaro at information@kokushibudo.com. His dojo is in Manhattan but I'd suppose he'd know.of some good gyms in a neighboring state?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fantastic post, I want to second Judo because, from the outside looking in, it really is a TMA that has all of the philosophy and ritual people like about that stuff (me included) while also being very "legit". It straddles both worlds, TMA and Combat Sports, in a way none of the others do.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I dunno, I sort of assume most people generally think that if you do a martial art a lot, and get good at it, then you Can Fight. This is definitely what me and all my friends thought in the time before MMA and it's definitely something presented in popular media from the 70's - 90's.

Edit: I mean, we were dumb kids in middle school and high school, but I really think this a belief most people have, and, if anything, it's just been mentally replaced with "does UFC".

I just mean that if he thought that, and he was instructor in Aikido, he probably saw the same delusions in a lot of other people that train in Akido.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 11, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

EdsTeioh posted:

It's now been 6 weeks since I've been to class between covid and just being busy as poo poo and I'm really depressed and thinking about quitting.

When's the next class?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

EdsTeioh posted:

Tomorrow, but I can't make it, then a day class Thursday which I also can't make, then Saturday but I have to help my wife with stuff, and on and on. Honestly, my son's been really frustrated also, so I don't even know how much longer HE wants to keep going.

Really though I'm having a lovely day at work which put me in a bad mood. Disregard.

:glomp: if you can't make it you can't make it, worry about the next one you can make.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

Interesting video on trying to use Wing Chun.
Skip the melon punching part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAvva9e2O78

takeaways:
- the core of Wing Chun is for self-defense, and so it shouldn't be treated as a complete fighting system, and the vast majority of schools who do so are accordingly very lacking
- a lot of the useful stuff from WC is on the level of tactical adjustments or tweaks to technique that strikers should already be conversant with. None of the deflect and interrupt striking should be alien to people who've been striking for a while, even if they've never tried it or integrated it into their preferred style. The host is taller than most of his sparring partners and has insanely wide shoulders, so the intercepting stuff comes more easily for him

Yeah he's like 6 foot whatever and an athletic three hundred pounds or some poo poo, In another recent video he also bullshitted his way through some light HEMA.

But I take your point, these techniques have some value, but they're more like interesting flourishes someone who already has a base can incorporate rather than full systems (and institutions of knowledge and training) in and of themselves

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't think you'll get much better than a pair of good sports googles?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's a great story; I've heard similar things before: I read somewhere that natural talents in music rarely become truly great because they didn't practice much at the start and it turns out that, over ten and twenty and thirty years practice matters much more than talent.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I only ever went to a gym like that for a few months but it was basically very similar to what you'd do in a more structured class except it was just you and the coach.

Like, I'd come in and the coach would show me some little move, like at first stuff like here's how you stand and move, here's a jab, here's a hook. Later, stuff like here's a few different combinations. He'd watch me do it a few times, then go off to help someone else. He'd check back in later and ask me if I wanted to spar so and so. Looking back, it had some real advantages because the gym was open for several hours and you'd just show up whenever; the pros would be there all evening and other people would just come and go.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm a terrible boxer and really wish I was better, but we don't touch spar, and what my gym considers light sparring bothers me, and it's my one really big complaint about this gym that I see guys like Icy Mike and Sensei Seth doing this very light, friendly, playful rounds, and I can't have that and have largely quit attending kickboxing. :smith:

Edit:

This looks so fun:

https://youtu.be/WONtg5-lxaY

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 5, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My dojo is owned by a lady in her 50's or maybe 60's; she focuses on "old school Judo" (how it was described to me one day) and another major teacher there is one of her top students, a 20 year old guy who's big into tournaments and went to the junior Olympics. It's my understanding that basically in order to keep Judo in the Olympics they've made rules changes to encourage constant throw attempts - no excessive grip breaking, no excessive defensiveness or unwillingness to engage. Also, to differentiate Judo from wrestling, you can't grab the legs at all because that leads into double legs and things.

The lady coach is extremely accomplished in Judo, she's won major tournaments in her day, so I'm not entirely sure what "old school" means that at this gym; from what I've seen I think she focuses on fundamentals but clearly she has lots of more nuanced techniques, but I think she leaves the "here's how you'd link three throws together for a sneaky win in a tournament" stuff to the guy.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh God yes. That's, like, every story or personal ancedote I've ever heard or experienced regarding any medical problem. "I ignored it for [days, weeks, years] just thinking (hoping) it was [something that would go away].

I once rolled my ankle so bad the tendon made a loud pop and I crashed to the ground, barely able to breath from the sudden on rush of pain, and of course the first thing I forced past my gritted teeth with my remaining breath was "fine I'm fine, fine fine"

Edit - lol I stood up from a motorcycle crash, touched my fingers to thumbs and immediately said aloud "I'm ok!". It's just astounding the PR campaign we'll mount for our own internal monologue.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Honestly I always feel great once a nail like that is finally off, though getting there can be nasty.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There are people here with a lot more Judo experience than me but I'd say Judo tends to be cheaper, classes tends to be smaller and less new people dropping in and out, and tends to be more formal but not less friendly.

For all the "surfer culture" casualness (I just finished that Opening the Closed Guard book this week, thanks thread) of BJJ, I know which sport doesn't let you look upon the anointed while fixing your GI and it's not Judo!

I don't mean this dismissively, quite the opposite actually, but Judo reminds me of the Boy Scouts - community oriented, and with a clearly defined goal of enriching the participants generally.

Edit: you can just google up the Judo places in your area, it's a benefit of it being such a well defined, disciplined organization.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There's lots of friendly, nice BJJ gyms, you're just more likely to encounter a strong 20 year old with anger issues in BJJ than Judo, in my limited experience. But not as often as in a genuine MMA gym so :shrug:

Any gym that isn't a joke should allow free classes as a trial and tou should be able to get a feel for the vibe there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean it's not actually those things, but that doesn't mean it's also a toxic cult. It could be a harmless community of TMS enthusiasts.

What are you looking for in school? Do you want to learn to fight?