Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Odddzy posted:

I doubt the dude that posts in the steroid thread and keeps posting weird alpha poo poo has just been playing a character for the past six months or so. Willie's weird and I could very well see myself read about him getting stabbed in a year or two.

I have it on good authority he also spends too much time looting in pubg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

JaySB posted:

I find it effective to remind people to encourage people to slow down in drilling and really focus on a step by step approach. Once they're not messing up the steps you can refine the small details.

This plus reminding (usually new people) that speed comes last.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

We have a 5-year, maybe longer, blue belt with a wrestling background who trains 3-4x a week. Not sure what they're waiting for to promote him.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

There's an implication of sorts.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

edit: on that note, why are single legs with head outside illegal in white belt in ibjjf?

My understanding is that white belts may react with something silly.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

willie_dee posted:

Then explain how you haven't advanced beyond the basic but scoot? hmmmmm

Explanation: I treat bjj as a hobby attached with a social club.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Was it supposed to be a full-contact match up? Seems risky for someone who does this as their job to risk injury.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 24, 2018

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Yes but doesn’t it work on the streets?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I only get grouchy when some gigantic dude makes me tap by getting rammy and doing poo poo like putting his knee on my head and twisting my spine, though that's less because I tapped and more because I hate rolling with assholes.

We have a fat guy who likes to smother people with his gut or bicep curl their skull. He's just on the list of people I avoid rolling with. Nice dude otherwise.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Holding Thai pads for someone while they practice kicks made me realize I should do all I can throughout my life to never actually get kicked :shrug:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I've had people I've never talked to or seen in my life approach me mid-day at high-end bars get in my face. I am a big guy. YMMV.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

willie_dee posted:

You aren't a big guy?! You are very handsome but you are also very soft looking. You have a kind face.

Don't blow my cover, willie_dee.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Requesting a Gracie breakdown.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

JaySB posted:

Ah, the old "He's crazy so I had to hit him with a hammer" situation.

This is willie_dee we're talking here.

He stole a moped and ran him over with it.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

Well willie did you molly wop him with a hammet or a sock loaded with nickles?

Willie_dee would never disrespect the queen by putting her likeness in a sock.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Can you guys imagine if willie_dee was a cop in America? We'd be applauding his self-restraint. It's all about context.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

JaySB posted:

Bragging about not beating up a crazy person is not a praise worthy accomplishment.

Police departments in America tweet to brag about when they don't shoot an unarmed person having a mental breakdown. Willie_dee is made for this country, I'm telling you all.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Can we get willie_dee into America on an H-1B visa? Lawyers??

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I think if we're talking "if Bruce Lee was alive and 25 today", I'd imagine he'd be could have been successful. A gifted athlete with a smart mind and good work ethic, I bet he would have been a great student/training partner.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

People born in 1488 have no hope.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 15, 2018

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Thirding.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

generatrix posted:

For lightweight I like Hypnotik. For heavier/competition style I like Inverted Gear (specifically the bamboo/cotton ones). Though that’s mostly based on how they fit my particular body type, so results may vary.

Aren't lightweight ones competition-style?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Willie_dee, you may stand down.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

There's the fun video of Lavell Marshall, who competes at a high level of Shuai Jiao, in a bjj white belt tournament and it was a little one-sided: https://streamable.com/vbu0e. His opponent was also something else.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Are there other grappling sports that have a split based on clothing?

v As in how no/gi are still both considered bjj.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 22, 2018

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

OTOH 1993 was 25 years ago and I weep silently because people talk about their non-sense kung fu and street combat "too real for the cage" bullshit all. the. time.

A friend was claiming to do Chinese wrestling for awhile that I thought was Shuai jiao, but when I asked if he'd like to show me some standup he told me it wasn't possible because the moves are set up to :airquote: break your bones during takedowns :airquote:.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I want to produce a willie_dee voiceover clip of that Dan Bilzerian video during the Vegas shooting begging for cops to give him a gun so he can live out his Rambo fantasy.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Favorite techniques being the ones you use the most -- checks out.

Tapping??

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

JaySB posted:

And a slight confusion as to where you are and what just happened to you.

Don't forget people clamoring to pick up your feet because they saw someone else do it once.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

My work had this team building day where we went to a crossfit gym and learned crossfit self defense. All I did was look at ways to throw people from the lovely stances and showed my partners basic grappling stuff. I then only got paired with the instructor and other crossfit people so I would follow along.

I mean this type of self defense is never going to work on anyone when you have a stance called the tip of the spear which leaves you open to everything. Also a open hand blow to the bottom of the jaw will break teeth and is more effective than a punch according to the instructor.

:thunk:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

mewse posted:

Isn't kino that PUA poo poo about touching girls to seduce them

Just really into Nena, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95YnZh5iDJM

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I live in a country where having dental care is a privilege and not a right, so I wear a mouthguard. The end.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Just had my first instances where someone attempted to fight me for not showing him enough """respect""".

Guy has been a brown belt for going on at least fifteen years, in part due to work and injuries. He tore his Achilles tendon two years ago and has been easing himself back into training by taking privates. Today after open mat he shows up in the locker room and I make a clear joke about him showing up just as we're all packing up, another guy chimes in that he's going to a secret class that I'm not even invited to, we're all joking around, laughing.

He leaves to go to the mats and a few minutes later the instructor comes in and says he wants to talk to me. I go out and the brown belt is out there and he is irate. Says he wants to fight me right now, that he thinks it's unacceptable for me to finger wave at him for not training, yadda yadda. The instructor explains that I need to apologize, that I'm not respecting the belt level, this is a combat sport and I need to be more humble. Brown belt says he wanted me on the mats immediately to mess me up, but he got talked down.

I'm an adult. He's an adult. I wasn't even sure if it was a ruse at first because it seemed so ridiculous. I used noted deescalation technique of apologizing for my behavior, clarified I didn't mean anything by it and tried to not react to him trying to square up on me. I'm still pretty sure he played himself.

Am I a thug?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Thanks for confirming I wasn't being some dumb idiot, thread.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Jack Slack is bad? :(

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 30, 2018

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 30, 2018