Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

My gym is closed until at least June 10th in VA. Just cranking out pushups and stuff like that at home until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Gonna second the recommendation of yoga as an excellent form of mobility and conditioning for Judo and BJJ. It does wonders for flexibility and strength.

However I would recommend against hot yoga (Bikram). It’s more expensive and kind of gimmicky in my experience. Look for vinyasa flow classes.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Lots of older Judo focused clubs are really bad these days. In most cases you’ll have better luck at a BJJ school trying to add standup to their repertoire than you will at an old judo school. Not enough bodies and weak instructors and pedagogy.

Lots of serious Judo coaches are also migrating to BJJ clubs for access to more motivated athletes.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Kneepads are good for people recovering from serious knee injuries, but i wouldn't recommend it unless you have a serious knee issue. Mostly because they can be very annoying during rolling. It will often move around and shift out of position. Additionally, it's more laundry you need to do, and it can be very difficult to wash the sweat smell out.

You will have lots of sore bruises and bumps when you start, it's natural. Your body will adjust. Impacts that are bumps and bruises now will not be as painful in the future. Make sure you are eating enough between training sessions so your body can recover, and don't overdo it though. Be honest about whether you can train/roll that day. It's an adult hobbyist sport, no need to push yourself to train for a non-existent deadline like a high school wrestler.

If you lack general athleticism because you started as an adult without a sports background, I suggest yoga or another low impact/high mobility exercise to complement your training. BJJ/Judo/grappling tends to overdevelop certain muscle groups, which can cause problems down the line with regard to hips, backs, shoulders and knees, so being proactive with mobility and recovery work is important for older athletes.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

one reason that many noobs are out of breath when doing martial arts is that they forgot to Breathe. make sure to breathe

One of the main goals of any self-defense or martial arts training is learning to maintain mindfulness about things like breath, posture and balance that we normally take for granted in a stressful situation. As you improve your technique and become more familiar with your surroundings, you will gain more mental space to focus on your breathing. When you start, a lot of your thoughts are things like 'holy poo poo that guy is strong' or 'gently caress what do i do here' and as you become able to answer those questions automatically and quickly in your head, you can start thinking and calming down in those situations, which is the real goal.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's my impression that most 'punch deaths' comes from the victim hitting their heads on the ground.

An ex-pro boxer friend of mine also stated that bareknuckle boxing would be safer (but bloodier), as you simply can't punch as hard without tape and gloves, without breaking your hands.

There is a bare-knuckle boxing professional promotion now, and I don't think that theory holds up in practice. Reality is that it's just more brutal with less talented and more financially desperate fighters who would be in mainstream promotions if they could for the purses.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I cannot stress enough that yoga is one of the best compliments to any martial art or sport. It will very quickly identify the parts of your body that are weak and lack mobility, as well as helping develop thoughtful breathing techniques which are vital to maintaining your cardio in long training sessions and matches.

It also makes you feel good.

A second point is that often when someone describes themselves as 'inflexible', what's really happening is that a muscle is weak and imbalanced. A common example is hip flexors/hamstrings. People tend to focus on their hamstring flexibility but neglect strengthening their hip flexors which are necessary for basically any athletic motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

It really seems like a whole bunch people had to gently caress up really badly for an outcome like this.