Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There are legit pro fighters based out of Tiger Schulmann's here in NYC. Like any gym it's going to depend on who the instructors there are, but it's not a McDojo in the traditional sense, despite making a lot of their money teaching longpants kickboxing to children.

So it's legit coaches, teaching legit stuff; but stealing everything else that makes McDojos insufferable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

It's hard to blame people when you're trying to run a profitable business and those tactics are proven successful. While being a good teacher and nothing else generally leads to failure.

The Gym I'm currently at is pretty great; good teacher and decent business sense, but the gym I first started at for BJJ had a good teacher; but the gym he taught in had a really scummy feel in their management team.

I ended up assisting in the little kids program, and was required to attend staff meetings. In these required staff meetings I wasn't taught better teaching skills, and other stuff like that, but was introduced to high pressure membership sales, how to sell proshop merch, was forced to read from a salesman ship book. I ended up leaving to my current gym sometime after, because it made me believe the purpose of the gym was to put as much money in the hands of the gym owner as possible rather than to learn manhugging/facepunching.

There has to be a middle ground; where the management team isn't reading "The Psychology of the Sale" and trying to take every dime from the student and where the gym isn't earning any money.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hoover Dam posted:

I've been doing capoeira for two years and can answer questions about being really bad at Sexy Dance Fighting, in case anyone wants a discipline where you aren't supposed to hit your target and have to play musical instruments to advance in rank.
Which instruments? I play guitar alright, do I get a rank boost?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DarthJeebus posted:

I am seriously considering taking some MA classes, and a big reason is because they scare me shitless, and I want to learn discipline in the face of adversity. I feel the need to be pushed far outside my comfort zone and I can't think of a better or more direct way to do it. Thinking about BJJ classes in my area because I don't want to get punched in the face intentionally. Good enough reasoning? I am a skinny fat goony goon and I feel embarrassed even thinking about it.

Do it all sorts of people in probably worse shape then you have done it. I started as a big fat goony goon and am currently a smaller goony goon.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Entenzahn posted:

Or is Wing Chun any use? I'm mostly just looking for something efficient that will help me out in a worst case scenario (I never get into fights but I'd feel better out at night anyway). I already do strength and endurance training on my own if that's important.

I did wing chun for awhile before moving on to BJJ and Kickboxing and I can post a huge data dump on my experience with Chun if the thread wants it, but the TLDR of it is there is no point in learning Wing Chun because what you learn isn't taught in an applicable manner, and the few good things you learn from it are things you would have learned implicitly from rolling BJJ/NoGi/whatever within your first six months.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Entenzahn posted:

Oh, did not expect that about Krav - would you say it's all around a bad system or is this more of a thing where it's too hard to find an instructor that isn't teaching you five finger death punches and spirit bombs?

The best Krav gym I ever heard of was pretty much Crossfit + really really basic kickboxing+grappling. So even though they weren't learning anything to a proficient level they where still getting in shape at least.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Siivola posted:

:justpost: I'm always up for more certified fake martial arts.

“Why friends don’t let friends Wing Chun tonight.”
So you’re thinking of doing Wing Chun? Well how about I explain to you the system from the perspective of someone who went through it for a bit. Wing Chun comes from China and no one knows where. Some people say it came from a nun needing to protect herself[unlikely], some say it’s a modern style with no roots in history, some say it’s a bastardization of Snake and Crane styles, and I vaguely remember a Bullshido post explaining that fighters in china knew basic wrestling and kickboxing skills and that Wing Chun was an attempt at filling in Clinch entries and exits and then years and years later you get people thinking Wing Chun is a complete fighting system and then selling it. No one really knows 100% certain.

So what will you expect out of your Wing Chun Journey? Well assuming your gym uses a nine color belt ranking system, you will spend your first six levels learning the first two forms of Wing Chun, Siu Nim Tao and Chum Qiu, as well as the dummy forms, the first form pretty much teaches you stance and hand positions, the second form teaches movement with the hand positions and adds shin/knee kicking, and the dummy form teaches you to hit and move, as well as to impress your friends with how fast you can hit a stationary target. Your last three belts will be focused on the last hand form, Biu Gee, and the two weapon forms, The Dragon Pole, a nine foot heavy as poo poo piece of wood, and dual butterfly swords. The Biu Gee form ties all you’ve learned together into kicking the rear end of the invisible man with a flurry of eye gouging, elbows, and stomps to the knee. The Dragon Pole gives you super awesome muscles and makes you hate life, and is useless as nobody carries around a large stick any more to battle bandits, and the Butterfly swords are cool looking, but again worthless because I don’t think there are many LEO’s who would tolerate someone walking around with 12 inch knives and is probably illegal to carry without a permit if not outright banned in most states.

So what will your training actually look like? Well 40% will be practicing and refining your form, because everything has to be just so, or else its wrong. Another 50% of your training will be doing set piece hand drills with a partner, such as your partner throws a punch so you turn and intercept it with a Tan Sao, while simultaneously grabbing the wrist with your opposite hand to restrain it, while you chop them in the throat with a knife hand. Your last 10% will be doing Chi Sao otherwise known as Sticky Hands I will explain this later on as it requires explaining a bit of Wing Chun theory.

So to explain Wing Chun as a way to fight you have to look at how fighting actually takes place. You have fix ranges in no-holds barred fighting. You have from farthest to closest, weapon range, kicking range, punching range, clinching range, and wrestling range. All of these ranges are self-explanatory, except the clinch which for people who don’t know is the range in which you are both standing and hugging each other looking to trip, throw, knee, elbow, or punch your opponent. Wing Chun looks to create a sixth range which is called trapping range, trapping range exists in a very nebulous range between punching and clinching range, where if all goes well you basically are able to hit your opponent repeatedly while they are off balance and out of position. For more on what this looks like, watch Master Wong, who makes me laugh and has a really good presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1F-vXRFgyM

So to practice trapping you do Chi sao, which looks like this more or less like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM3oJJdYpJU

There are many problems with this as a practice method a small list includes, generally it turns into a game of fast tag instead of effective hits and traps, generally not allowed to break away into kick boxing range or into just a straight take down, and finally you start in trapping range so you never get practice getting to that range and set up in the first place. All and all the Chi Sao would be a good training tool of learning how to do trapping if it was accompanied with a large amount of free sparring, but most Wing Chun places to my knowledge have very little to no free sparring.

All of the above is assuming that trapping in an actual fight can work, and to my knowledge it doesn't.

I can continue this series with stuff like “Things that where useful to me from Wing”, “Bad fighting/self-defense advice I’ve been given from Wing Chun students/instructors” “Wing Chun Theory for Dummies.” and pretty much anything else if anyone is interested

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 20, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Baronash posted:

Is this how it's supposed to look? I admit that I don't know anything about martial arts, but it looks a heck of a lot like what used to pass for "sparring days" at the taekwondo place I went to as a kid.

Actually it'd look like this in the ideal wing chun world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl_F9qfxcnc

but, what Siivola's video is pretty much par for the course. No head defense, chain punches, single shots, very little defensive movement except for wedge intercepts.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Entenzahn posted:

Now that I'm about to start boxing I'm actually getting a bit worried - how much damage can the sport do to your brain? If I'm anxious about this sort of thing I should probably leave out sparring, but is boxing without sparring still useful?

If you're wearing headgear and a mouthguard and your sparring partner isn't trying to knock your teeth down your throat, and he shouldn't be all the time, you should be fine. Boxing without sparring is useful if your only goal is to get in shape and have some fun.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

manyak posted:

Newest entry in the "does BJJ work in a street fight where theres no rules and the other person pulls your hair/scratches at your eyes etc"

https://twitter.com/30SECONDFlGHTS/status/779095334270238720

The Armbar was a bit much.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Did she choke her to sleep? Funny how they waited until the choke happened to (half-heartedly) try to break it.

Yep, you can see the slobber as she flips her over.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't understand why you would go for an arm bar without trying to use it to end the fight ie. break it or at least threaten to break it. You're just giving up position.

It looked like the arm hyper extended at the very least.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SnatchRabbit posted:

I guess my question is how useful is this from self-defense as well as sport/MMA/conditioning perspective? I found that I really enjoyed this type of sparring because it puts together all the things I love about striking and grappling without really having to worry about head trauma.

Pretty useful. You can use strikes to set up armbars and americanas easy, because they have to defend shots to the face or get knocked out. On the defensive side, it shows you the positions in which they can't punch you effectively, or allows you to take advantage of if they try to punch you with out a good base.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ElectricBlizzard posted:

There's also a place here where they teach kali/eskrima which seems to have both punch and grapple work involved. Anyone have experiences with this or is it more bullshido/choreography type of stuff? Flailing around with sticks and knives seems like it could be kind of silly fun tho :shobon:

I did a year of Inosanto Kali.
Depends more than likely you'll get bullshido/choreography, but there are gyms which will allow you to do soft stick or hard stick sparring and that will be fun. Generally speaking though the only useful day to day thing I learned is avoid a man trying to use a weapon on you, because either you'll get injured or you both get injured.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Last one is a USJJF club. Never heard of USSJF before and it looks like this apperantly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr95G0BBCO8

I would check out the first 2.

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is random guy with no training that walks into your gym and 10 is a MMA title holder. I give the striking a 2.5 and the grappling a 3

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 28, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

manyak posted:

I like that they all go for that awful schoolyard trip on each other lol it would suck if you wanted to learn Judo and then went there by accident

Favorite exchange is at :20 dude catches a leg kick to the side and instead of finishing a single leg with it, and I can think of three variations on how to do it from that specific position, he drops the leg and goes for a tackle and gets guillotined.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cephas posted:

I think karate is cool and fun, but I don't get how regular sparring--one of the funnest parts of it--is so hard to include.

Not saying it's right, but the reasoning I've put together from talking to my former managers and instructors. Is that sparring is unprofitable. It's much easier to keep kids and adults paying and coming to lessons for exercise that feels exciting and braggable like " yea. I do kick boxing *flexes* I'm tough", when you don't constantly ego check them and make them feel sore with sparring.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kekekela posted:

This for me too, oddly enough, shucking the arm to get to the back mainly. Also truck entries.

There's truck entries from butterfly now???

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bangkero posted:

Fear the judo flattened position all you BJJ snobs.

Neck cranks all day.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

For MMA wouldn't you want your feet pointed forward to shoot/prevent shots and throw kicks/knees?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

I tried a karate class last week to supplement my aikido stuff. They were very old school formal in their approach, and their website said verbatim, "Do not train with us unless you're willing to commit full time as a student." So, I sent them a email that I had a lot of fun, but couldn't go full time since aikido is my home dojo, and wishing them the best.

I got a mail back that was basically "WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM WELL WHATEVER BYE."

I have no idea what people even want sometimes.

When I was looking to start a martial art a couple of years back. I looked at places near me. I found a place looked neat had karate and jjj, so I sent an email up to them with some questions that weren't answered on the website, where'd dude get his black belt from, do they live spar(which I required absolutely no wiggle room), some other really basic stuff, and the guy responded saying he'd rather talk over the phone. While it was annoying due to my lack of cell phone at the time and how my job was I set up a phone meeting with the guy, and he pushed for me to come into his gym, and when I asked him questions he got absurdly defensive and started saying how I should learn respect for my elders(I was 25 at the time) and stuff like that. Suffice to say I don't know karate or Japanese jiujitsu. Gym owners are people too, some are power tripping assholes some aren't.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

In BJJ, is there a requisite period of time that a black belt needs to have been at black belt level before they are able to promote other black belts (or to any rank, really)?

Depends on the association. I'd say it only vaguely matters cause I think IBJJF has rules about it and if you don't get your black in their specific way they may not let you register in their tournaments at that level. I could be wrong though. I sorta remember there being drama about it a year ago or so.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 8, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Omglosser posted:

And like you ain't nobody until you're a blue belt, at which point your welcome to have free extra open mat sessions with higher belts. Unless you're a hot girl white belt who is "super dedicated" then apparently you can come too. The first chick would very strangely get really jealous whenever prof was showing my gf one on one attention in class then like ramp up her intensity when they rolled. It's weird cuz it all falls in the category of "could be completely innocent/coincidence but also could be super creepy"

Yea, that's super lovely. Get out dude. Even if the gf thing is completely innocent and or coincidental your coach shouldn't make you feel this way. BJJ is supposed to make you feel better not more anxious. Find another gym.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 13, 2016

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I was one of the assisting instructors and ended up marrying one of the students. Does that count?:D.

Although to the best of my knowledge, she wasn't seeing anyone when she started at our club.

You do you bro, it's like dating in the office place. Yea it could end up cool like yours, I assume, but for every time it was cool there's times where poo poo happens and causes a whole mess of drama and the gym suffers for it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

i feel like the lines between anime enjoyer and bjj forums poster intersect 100% of the time, if not more

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Also what's the protocol for getting in a fight, would it be ok to break someone's arm, I'm not planning on but if I was the guy on top I would of seriously been tempted to do it and end the fight that way.

I am not a lawyer and could be really wrong, but you have to have a controlled and proportionate response to have self defense immunity. If the person has stopped being a threat to you, you can't hide behind self defense. "not being a threat anymore" isn't clearly defined, and this is also further complicated by each state having their own set of laws.

Example: Drunk dude about your size pulls a knife, you double leg him, get mount, and break his arm.[without getting stabbed weirdly enough] You are probably in the clear.

Drunk dude about your size takes a wild swing at you with his fist, you double leg him, get mount, he doesn't really struggle and you decide to break his arm. You may be criminally/civilly liable.

Drunk dude pulls a knife, threatens you, but is behind a window he can't reasonably get around without giving you enough time to run away and you instead pull your gun shoot him in both knee caps and break his arm. You will be liable.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 3, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kekekela posted:

The old thread was like a honeypot because it had Aikido in the title then the OP made us sound all welcoming to dumbass ideas. Boy were they in for a surprise when they started posting!

As well all well know all martial arts are bullshit except for ameridote which is perfect.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

Master Ken is a god amongst men

I got an autographed patch from him. Seems a cool dude, and everyone in the gym seems to be too scared to roll with me since I've been working the thrust of freedom as a guard break.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

boy are my arms tired posted:

ah neat, okay. thank you! is there a penalty for holding a position longer than a few seconds?

Depends on the tournament. Some have a stalling rule, but as a competitor depending on the position you can make a half hearted attempt at a submission that is totally safe to just hold the position indefinitely.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

cool; i'll keep a look out at the tournament then

one more question i've got for now: since i have more of a background in boxing and kempo its going to be a weird change to not-striking; what happens if i reflexively / accidentally hit or elbow someone while being grappled? loss in points? dq?

Shouldn't happen if you've been training in a grappling art for a little bit, but, you'll probably be disqualified.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bowmore posted:

I was thinking of going to the Wing Chun and Aikido classes in my local area to get a feel for them, any problems with studying two martial arts at once? Anyone have any experience with Wing Chun or Aikido?

Welllllll.... There are political issues that may arise and there are practical issues.

Practically if you train more than one art at a time, you will not be as proficient in that one art, than if you spent all of your time, the exception is if you do a complementary art it may help your progression a bit once you get to a certain point i.e train BJJ for awhile, then start Judo to make your throws better.

Politically; some gyms REALLY don't like you going to train other arts at other places. Like REALLY don't like it. A lot of martial artists look at their gym and their style like a really hardcore sports fan, if that fan would hate you forever if you even LOOKED at another teams games.

I have experience with the Chun. Don't do it unless you want to go be an action star in Hollywood or you think it looks cool. If you want to do it because you like Chinese culture go find some place that does San Shou or San Da.

CommonShore posted:

TMAs like that pretty much only exist now by packaging their conservative techniques in thick layers of excuses and mysticism. Also check the OP section for finding good gyms - avoid contracts, high pressure sales, and other McDojo scams. If they don't offer a free class, just walk away and don't think twice about it.

If they seem like honest people who aren't selling lies and snake oil, and who are just out for cool fun pyjama fight times, then enjoy.

This goes double for Chun. The sensei worship is unbelievable sometimes.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 2, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

smilehigh posted:

So I'm not really understanding the hate... but apparently this is not normal for win chun?

Nope, out of the few schools I've traveled to that have a Wing Chun program, the program usually falls between a 2 and a 3.5 on the Aliveness scale(aliveness scale at bottom). Some schools I've been to that have Wing Chun will also have a FMA program(which will have an aliveness between 2 and 5), a Muay Thai Program(3-4), and a BJJ program(7.5-8), but the wing chun itself isn't very alive. I'd be interested to know where you think your school falls in the aliveness scale.

quote:

Also can someone tell me how to handle a situation where a guy is being weird about rolling with me - a girl? I stopped going for a while cause except for two guys they were all being super weird (I was the only girl, but I am fat and not hot in any way so it's not that). Like is there some specific thing I can say to make them snap out of it?

Weird how? like "I don't wanna crush you cause you tiny weird?", "I don't wanna accidentally touch you because you're a girl weird?" or being creepy weird?

Bullshido posted:

Aliveness:

1: No sparring/contact, performance demonstration/forms only.
2-3: Compliant partner drills, board breaking, point sparring
4-5: Light contact continuous sparring (negligible pain/risk).
6-7: Medium contact with excessive safety gear.
8-9: Hard contact with reasonable safety gear and/or limited to one range of fighting (standup/grappling).
10: Regular (monthly or less) skill testing via full contact, full range fighting, minimum safety equipment.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 4, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

The levels described here are reasonable but the amount of safety gear seems targeted at calling out BS schools.
There's nothing wrong with having proper or even excess safety equipment as long as the sparring is done properly.
Especially for beginners, I don't think it makes sense to ask them to gauge the gear.

6-7: Medium contact with excessive safety gear.
8-9: Hard contact with reasonable safety gear and/or limited to one range of fighting (standup/grappling).
10: Regular (monthly or less) skill testing via full contact, full range fighting, minimum safety equipment.

I think medium contact is doing 40/
50% . I think the excessive saftey gear is about : If youre wearing more than say , gloves, shins, a mouth piece, headgear and cup it'd be a bit excessive. So foot pads, chest/stomach guard and face cage would be pretty excessive for medium contact. I would say that at 50℅ shins might be a bit much if your partners controlled.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 4, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I wouldn't care if someone wanted to spar in that extra stuff.
The point fighting karate gear that tends to cover those areas is just not very good protection past light sparring. I absolutely agree that people should spar in appropriate gear. They should use stuff that works or at least know the limitations of what they're using. Proper gear is something that can be taught, but some schools with uneven sparring programs might be doing their students a disservice there, just marking up cheapo foam stuff to make a buck.

It's more of referring to the requirements by where ever your at. I've been at places briefly that required heavy sparring gear ( head, cup,mouth,shins, and full gloves) for light contact sparring drills. I've also been at places where gloves and cup where only required and anything else was up to you

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Because some poo poo is fun and people like things other than the things other people like.

:yeah:

Seriously, some stuff is just fun to do. I stuck with Chun and FMA til I got fed up with the school itself, because the drills and games where fun even though they had very little if any practical application.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Is there a brand of hand wraps that don't fall apart after two weeks of use?

I have a set of title brand ones that haven't fallen apart yet, but your results may vary.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 5, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Are there any good websites that I can read up on BJJ techniques, scoring, etc. that you all would recommend?

After three? weeks of it I'm getting my own gi and looking to take it more seriously.

e: youtube channels would work too

http://www.grapplearts.com/

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Subyng posted:

I also joined a BJJ gym. Enjoying that as well, although to be honest the "bro" culture of it doesn't really vibe with me, although I'm not sure if this a product of the specific gym I'm training at.

It varies from gym to gym. The gym I go to is owned by a nerd who has a pretty big knowledge of comic book movies and thinks that the New Jedi Order was the best EU books for starwars(They're not). As such the gym attracts some pretty chill grapple nerds and bros.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Seriously? That Roland dude is worse than most aikido guys.
There's nothing realistic about what he's doing.
As for the longsword, they're playing a game of tag.

Look I don't know about you but if I where teleported to the 16th century and had to fight an unarmored honor duel. I would try my damnedest to not get hit while hitting the other dude in easy to reach areas[arms, hands] so that he bleeds out eventually and I don't later die from infection.

I've done some low intensity wooden waster sparring and poo poo hurts, but get you some lacross gloves and a helmet and you shouldn't be permanently wrecked.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A bunch of old people do it outside of the Asian super market at round 6 am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I heard a theory that Yoga is deconstructed martial arts in the same vein of tai-chi and the proof was how some of the Silat take downs look similar to some Yoga forms.