Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Does Aikido even practice against resisting-uke? A lot of the techniques that I've seen, the principles behind a lot of the throws are sound i.e guy starts resisting backwards so you allow that while tripping him, but I'm not sure efficacy against a resisting opponent can be reached, without practicing against a resisting opponent.

In theory I know how to do a lot of really esoteric take downs from many different martial arts but since I don't practice them outside of having an uke working with me I have pretty much never hit them in rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

From a self defense standpoint I was once told the only people who are gonna be looking to pick fights with you are gonna be drunk rear end holes, high rear end holes, or rear end holes bigger than you. This true? I haven't personally witnessed a fight since leaving high school.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I mean I haven't seen many aikido techniques but the ones I have seen would be effective if you combined it with sparring. So I got no problem with aikido for fun or aikido as a supplement for a martial art that does love training.

Xguard86 posted:

I personally believe that being 6ft or over and 200+ lbs should not only disqualify you from discussion but also, you should be turned away from any and all martial arts gyms.

:smith: it's me I'm the 6ft3 super heavyweight blue belt.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

LionArcher posted:

I'm talking about training with one extensively with trained experts blah blah blah. Not just buy one and go out twice a month shooting. I agree that's loving stupid.

I think the point Mecha was making was that a gun, and really any weapon[knifes,sticks, etc], is an offensive weapon by nature. In a "self-defense" situation you have to preemptively draw on someone which escalates the situation, because if you don't you run the risk of getting grappled and then have to draw while dealing with someone on top of you while you doing it, because if I am looking to beat your rear end and I see you start reaching around your mid section I am gonna do my best to stop you from doing so at all cost. Further you run the risk of hitting a by stander if you do decide to shoot which can open you up to legalities, on top of which if you draw or discharge a fire arms the chances of you being arrested increase regardless of if you where in the right or not.

A gun is also a stupid idea if you're being robbed by a guy with a gun, because unless he's an idiot he's gonna shoot you in the face if you start trying to draw, because he's probably caught you unaware in the first place.

edit: personally I feel the only time a gun for self-defense might be the correct option is if there is a home invader, and you're ok with shooting and killing someone for breaking into your house. None of that "I've got a gun" shenanigans,call the cops, ambush the dude, and cap him. Personally wouldn't do it because I don't feel like I could be ok with my self killing another dude, but that's probably the only situation outside of LEO or Military action where a gun might be a good option tactically and strategically.

edit 2: What you guys think? is there a good accessory for self defense. The issues I see is that if a weapon is lethal you have to be ok with killing a dude, it has to be easily usable if pressed in the worst situation, you have to be able to have a trainer or something you could practice with on another live human, and it can't be something whose efficacy goes down if you draw it after a fight begins.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 22, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Yeah that was my sense, too. He initiated little offense, and anyone who has watched much MMA should know how hard it is to get something going on a fighter who is focused entirely on defending and surviving. On top of that, his defensive skills seemed pretty good - lots of preventing cancer instead of curing it.

This is also consistent with the Aikido tendency to say "well it's a defensive art :smugdog:"

To be fair he didn't have to initiate on those two because they appeared to not know crap about stand up wrestling. Note how both people "shoot" and by shoot I mean, bend over and run at the aikido dude and hope aikido dude falls over. Which props to Aikido dude for having the awareness to stuff it, but I would be more impressed if the BJJ dudes could complete it. That said, Aikido guy did demo some pretty sound technique.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I will say if BJJ does have one significant weakness is that most Gyms in my experience don't do any sort of stand up practice beyond maybe a few minutes here and there of demoing a single or a double, but they generally don't work it long or consistent enough to actually have a meaningful standup besides grips and pull guard.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Is it sound technique though? Would it work against anyone half competent at actually fighting?

It's like the Triangle in grappling. It's a sound technique that competent people shouldn't be caught in, but if you practice hard enough you still end up with people in UFC matches and high level competitions getting caught. The Aikido guy's execution is poor, but there are some recognizable techniques in there.

There's a really poor standing cattle catcher at 2:35 as a counter to a really poor shot. Mounted Kimura attempt at 4:13 that he lets off of for some reason. Second Video defends a bad single leg well at :10 seconds, head and arm throw to counter a foot sweep at 1:56. 3:49 is a guard pass that I like where you hip heist the other dude to roll him into turtle.

There are sound techniques in there he just executes them very poorly, probably because he doesn't practice live a lot.

edit: 3:10 had a Puter Kapala into a two on one arm throw I've seen in a judo video which was slick though although probably not effective.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 23, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

hi liter posted:

BJJ standup is kind of like Judo groundwork, overlooked because the sporting rules don't give it enough weight. Train in both if you can. Good Judo players do, and will gently caress you up on the ground in a tournament.

Doesn't it though? In most competition a Guard pull doesn't give you anything except guard at best, and at worst if done improperly causes a penalty. In most competition a take down is worth two points at worst and a lot more if you can take advantage a get a pass. If you want to game the system you'd hit a take down and stall while not looking like your stalling for three minutes.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

In my experience, unless you severely outclass your opponent in weight, strength, reach, or technique, waiting for your opponent to do things is how you get punched, kicked, thrown or submitted. Passivity tends to get you beaten up, so in my mind Aikido as a "Let them make the first move" seems antithetical to actually "winning" a fight, Winning defined as walking away with less damage than your opponent.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I used to think that aikido made sense if you imagined it in a context of swordfighting. Arms-length wrist-grabby grappling is suboptimal in a weaponless wrestling context, but I can imagine the situation arising where two swords lock together so you grab a wrist and send them flying. But then, aikido is from the 20th century, when swords were long obsolete, so idea that idea kind of falls flat.

Pretty sure we're all on the spectrum in this thread

Does Kendo have any grappling associated with it? I assumed for historical purposes it would have retained a few sword on sword clinch maneuvers.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

The old man was a fraud and didn't know how to fight at all. That's irrelevant to whether there are non boxing techniques that could manage against a boxing offense.

I mean a good double leg is a good grappling counter to getting jabbed at.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Master Wang is probably the second best thing Wing Chun has produced. That dude makes me laugh.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

We have an ex-aikido/TKD guy at my bjj gym. He's a decent blue belt, competes often, pretty athletic and smart. I only do OK against him because I have 25kg on him. Anyway, sometimes he wrist locks me when I'm in his guard and I hate it.

I'm impressed if he's doing that from a postured position

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kuvo posted:

this is still the proper way to do promotion pictures right

Perfect! Great Work. Now don't be that blue belt that suddenly stops BJJ.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Anyone else think they are invincible in the moment and then realise afterwards they could of gotten hosed up?
Everyone in the moment before they get shot in America chasing criminals.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

You need to be able to control the pressure you put on people in grappling. There are times when you want to be light as a feather, which helps you switch positions faster, can trick your opponent to dive for an escape route you've already mapped out and there are times you want to be the moon on top of someone, If they're spazzy or they're not accepting a pressure pass and still trying to shrimp away from you. Everyone needs to learn that not just heavy people, it's just as a heavy person you'll generally get better and more insistent feed back if you're one way or the other typically, "ARG GET THE FOOK OFF" vs "How are you moving that fast for a [180/190/200/250] pound guy?"

Also, there is never a reason to cook smaller people in Knee on Belly, Mount, or Kesa-Gatami, unless they try to cook you first.

edit: The biggest rule is, If your partner says stop crushing me so hard, stop it.

spiralbrain posted:

Honestly I dont know why a place would have you spar with someone that is 200 lbs if you are 135.

If you're a 135 that has dreams of winning an Absolute Divison you absolutely need to roll with people way heavier than you. Also Bigger guys need to be able to roll against soooper fast flexible people. Everyone needs to roll with everyone one else as long as everyone is attempting to be safe, Guys need to roll against girls, fats need to roll with skinnies, Noodlemen need to roll with zombies.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 27, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

your concern can basically be summated as "im worried that you working out is actually BAD, because I consider you a retard that will hurt yourself"

To be fair, I've seen my fair share of scummy sales pitches for Cardio kick boxing, usually along the lines of

GET IN SHAPE AND HAVE FUN WHILE LEARNING PRACTICAL SELF DEFENSE TECHNIQUES ALL TO KICKING RAD MUSIC!

or the backwards one which is a "Muay Thai" class which turns out to be a glorified cardio kickboxing class.

edit: Not saying this is the case, but it could be.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 4, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I see a lot more dumb-rear end men picking fights than I do women,

You haven't seen enough world star cat fights. Women tend to commit more simple assaults against other women than any other violent crime. Men tend to escalate to straight aggravated assault/pre-meditated

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 4, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Odddzy posted:

Does that feeling happen here to most people? I kind of have the preconceived opinion that it does.

I feel like I want to fight less and deescalate, people get injured just from sparring when it's your friend and you're trying not to injure them, and you know all the dumb poo poo that can happen during sparring. It would have to be a real hosed up situation for me to want to throw hands on someone.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

hi liter posted:

Do ya'll train with any cops? I know that a few I've trained with some in the past, as well as vets in the past, but the politics around both those issues has....changed in the last few years.

Any good stories?

A gym I was at had I believe a us marshal that was a Kali instructor. He was a chill dude and gave "self defense" seminars in which he sat everyone down and explained responsibilities WRT if someone fucks with you what you're allowed and not allowed to do to them and how the police where going to more than likely react to you and what best practices for interacting with police after a fight was (be respectful, don't say poo poo, grab a lawyer). Pretty chill dude

On the other hand had a patrol officer at my gym in Bjj class who was and is the spazziest 8 month white belt I've had the misfortune of knowing. You get top in rolling and suddenly he hulk's out.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spiralbrain posted:

Any time I think of Taekwondo Im drawn to the movie Fist Foot Way

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

While the topic is relevant I would love to hear any and all of you guys drop cool knowledge about weapon based arts. Hype your favorite ones, etc. They have always been fascinating to me.

Kali is very fun you get to learn all the cool movie choreography, and it looks real cool when done competently at speed. Unfortunately it tends to get people who are super serious about self defense on the streetz. Who will go on at length about their cool new stick/blade/gun and pray for the day they get accosted so they can literally escalate to straight up murder people.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

Goons, I'm a baby and my shins really hurt from kicking the bag after one week of kickboxing. Am I supposed to not kick the bag as hard as I can, or is this just pain and my shins aren't actually damaged so I should continue kicking the bag? That and my wrists kind of feel weak from punching the bag.

Are you kicking a boxing bag or a banana bag? Because you shouldn't be kicking a boxing bag as hard as possible..

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

I dont know what a banana bag is, but the bags at the gym are long and heavy I guess? Like man-sized bags

this is a banana bag.

Your shins should get used to it after awhile if you're kicking this and make sure your aim away from the bottom of the bag as that tends to feel like the most dense part.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

the yellow dart posted:

Anyone have input on BJJ gyms in northern Virginia? Coming from a Riberio gym so a little biased towards their affiliate in Springfield, but looking for anywhere else that might be interesting in the Alexandria/eastern NOVA section (that isn't associated with LI). The Caio Terra affiliate seems decent and I've heard good things about Pentagon MMA from muay thai types, but not sure what the scene is like up there right now. I have friends who train at 50/50 and other Vienna/Falls Church gyms, but looking towards Alexandria in particular.

I think Pedro Sauer teaches somewhere around there. I don't know much about his schools but he does a pretty educational seminar. *shrug* Dudes an old school Gracie dude that focus' on the self defense stuff.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

:allears: I'm a big fan of when Dee posts; makes the thread so much more lively.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DandyLion posted:

Curious where the consensus on the ineffectual results of small joint manipulations came from. I've heard the opposite from some folks that an unusable hand is a serious detriment in a streetfight (not implying the aforementioned statement is wrong just wondering if there was some well experience and respected source that claims it).

It's not that its ineffectual, breaking/fracturing a finger and trying to roll with someone sucks, just the efficacy of it as an escape or a strategy. I mean yea you could break or fracture a finger while I have you in an RNC but instead of working an escape that could work you're hoping that 1) you can break my finger before you go to sleep and 2) if you do break one of my fingers that I don't just get more pissed/ignore it and just choke you out.

In short I've rolled with a fractured toe and a really messed up finger before and it kinda sucks. I've never rolled while choked unconscious.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Odddzy posted:

God you're insufferable.

willie_dee posted:

And who are you?

:suspense:.

I wish an admin would thunderdome noted poster Willie_Dee and whom ever antagonized/antagonizes him

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

Paulo's argument for doping was that he didn't know he couldn't :v:

I didn't think doping was illegal because to my knowledge IBJJF only instituted testing really recently and only to black belt winners at worlds?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Perfect picture for the thread. Congrats.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Welp that is probably the third nicest training facility I've ever seen. So jealous. It's kinda crazy how nice these facilities can get, I remember seeing a video about a fight gym that had a huge training space, massage area, barber, gi dry cleaning drop off, weight room, just all of the nice things.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Does the amount of general bruising decrease as time goes on? Or should I just embrace not caring if I want to wear summer clothes ever again?

Depends.

Are you more doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEW44hhUkqI

or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBrWIfIbX-A

The second will probably leave bruises on you somewhere, the first should not.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

generatrix posted:

Anyone else hit any ridiculous "fake" moves lately?

Dude turtled, put my legs around his arms looking for a crucifix, he flattened out by accident. Gable grip around the chin and turn the chin for the Crippler Crossface.

Rock bottom from me stumbling and falling on an Osoto Gari attempt.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 16, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Fujiwara Armbar is awesome and actually kinda reliable if you have good Russian tie pressure.

I didn't know this was a thing! I do a variation that has a pretty nice success rate from bottom turtle, if you execute a sit through escape and they leave their arm asleep near your hip/ribs, instead of finishing by turning into your opponent and taking their back you turn towards their arm/head and snatch the arm up to finish. The only big issue is if they aren't asleep when you turn towards their arm they can shrug their arm out of the way quick enough and you end back to guard or to a scramble.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I am Otis posted:

It makes me feel sad when people lie about stuff like that. I guess they want to feel important or special. It's like that guy your buddy brings to the fights who mentions how he does tang su do and legally can't fight anyone because he's a registered human weapon and the room full of wrestlers, boxers, bjj and mma guys are being quiet going "yeah you're a bad dude" eyes darting back and forth

Bars showing MMA PPVs are the best places to go to spot these people in the wild.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Krav maga is bad because the chances you'll get some dork roleplaying military instead of good instruction in the art of punch hugging are really good.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Juanito posted:

Some of the guys said that they're going to kick harder if you're wearing a mask, so I'd just as soon not.

That's kind of lovely of them. Head gears just there to protect your nose, ears, eyes, and teeth(depending on coverage), and to lessen blows a little bit. poo poo will not prevent concussions.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Anyone got any advice for being in a fight with someone with a motorbike helmet on?

Don't get into a fight with someone wearing a motorbike helmet or conversely ask him to please take it off so we can have a good and fair dust up, and when he does you shoot him in the face with your home made zip gun.

*this is not actually advice, don't go making a zip gun to shoot unnaturally fair motorbike thieves*

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

butros posted:

serious post: what does a jock strap offer that other undergarments don't?

a pocket that holds your cup and junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010