Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
There have been recorded chi bombs in athletic competition. Rothwell v Vera is an example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kashuno posted:

I'm intrigued by learning some martial arts now that I've started losing weight and am a bit more healthy. One thing I'm worried about is that I have a pretty bad knee from being hit by a car when I was a teenager. Are there any specific martial arts I should avoid if my knee isn't particularly great?

If you're looking for local recommendations let me know.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
As long as your comfortable being terrible at it for like at least a year then you will be fine with just a little diligence and work ethic

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

DarthJeebus posted:

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'm gonna take some free classes at a few local gyms! :ohdear:

I can live with a few bumps and bruises and I have zero ego. But for me this is like going back to school with all the other bigger stronger guys who chose me to show off on. Going into a public place and surrounding myself with perfect strangers is hard enough, and I'm about to juxtapose that with a kind of physicality I've always avoided. Wish me luck!

No one has had their rear end kicked as many times as someone who trains in a fight sport. More often than not people are pretty humble and helpful to new guys.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Entenzahn posted:

Oh, did not expect that about Krav - would you say it's all around a bad system or is this more of a thing where it's too hard to find an instructor that isn't teaching you five finger death punches and spirit bombs?

Mostly asking out of curiosity at this point since it looks like I'll be doing MT based on your responses, or maybe boxing if I can't be arsed to get up at 6.30 to get my poo poo kicked in before work. :v: thanks for the feedback guys

e: ^I'd totally read that dump

The only decent krav places are basically "self defense" based mma classes. Just do a real sport martial art instead of jason bourne larping.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'm inclined to say greco roman because I've never seen a place that just teaches olympic wrestles

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Tenacious J posted:

I'm thinking of joining an MMA gym (never done martial arts before) and was wondering about head strikes. As in, I'm concerned about them and possible brain damage even if it's gradual. Sorry if that's a dumb thing to bring up, but is it something I need to be concerned about? I just remember a friend in college who was a long time boxing champ and his memory and processing speed were bad. He admits it changed over time from boxing.

Edit: just saw this was discussed on the last page already

Just be aware of it while training and don't hit anyone harder than you want to be hit imo

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I just love Sakuraba's secret move

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

Yup. And they hit each other pretty goddamn hard sometimes, too! :classiclol:

A lot of it is keeping tension out of your body and moving with the blow, though, so it's not like they're just standing there decking each other. But dang can experienced systema guys punch you in ways that make your insides hurt.

How does a sparring session like that usually play out?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
He is loving your girlfriend and everyone knows it but you. Everyone involved is nuts and its time to bounce on to a better gym.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

manyak posted:

Yeah lol

One time i brought a female friend to try BJJ and after a while the guy who taught the womens class (not my instructor but another higher belt) was grooming her and acting weird around me until I was like "Yah thats not my girlfriend lol" so he was free to abuse his position as is his wont. Sexual tension runs high in the spandex pants grabass sport

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My favorite anime is Berserk

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Whats your mental state been like lately willie? Like with all the steroids and general willie d baggage.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
It takes minutes of sustained choking for long term damage to manifest iirc and after someone hasn't been struggling for even just a few moments its pretty easy to tell they're out. Furthermore I'm worried that you've been envisioning yourself in violent fantasy scenarios in a presumably non-competitive environment and I encourage you to re-evaluate why you feel the need to.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Ok man. Just making sure you're ok.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My favorite posts are when aikido players jump in and their first few posts are about how chill and normal they are and they do aikido for the meditative aspects and then a day later they're in full on magic pressure points and dim mak territory.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Yeah I'm always the guy who says to be nice

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I used to shy away from sparring with some girls because they would want to go really hard

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I don't strike anymore because I moved a while ago but if I move back I will strike again

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Where do you train my liege?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Siivola posted:

Sword combat is a solved problem in general.

This except I use chi bullets

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
They don't teach timing in aikido?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Judo is literally everything an aikidoka always says aikido is in these threads except its better in every way i can think of

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Whoa

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
IMO opinion Judo and BJJ should go back to being one art.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

kimbo305 posted:

What would be the right ruleset? BJJ plus ippon?

Without thinking very hard I would say that an ippon win would be kind of limiting, but it should be worth lots of points and prestige

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
That would be rad, pulling guard counts as waza-ari for standing competitor

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Willie, I once asked you if you thought you were doing okay in the throes of your new steroid obsession because this sort of thing was on the horizon. If you have to wonder if you're loving up then you should take a step back and seriously consider why you need to ask yourself the question. Imo, as a guy who knows you as an internet crazy, dial that poo poo way back and see how that feels for a while.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Honestly I feel like grappling sports are way more dangerous because if someone doesn't play safe you have a lot of chance to bend/break someone badly or put way too much body weight on a bad area.

In striking you just get your lights knocked out for a second

I see where you're coming from, but I can wear a cast for a couple months or learn how to walk favoring a different leg but I can't learn how to not have cumulative brain damage that gives me wild mood swings and makes me slur my speech.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Kickboxing is way more fun imo anyway

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Same here dude

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
lol though at the idea of self flagellating with a lacrosse ball in a sock

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

ICHIBAHN posted:

In a sock?!

Barbaric right?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

redgubbinz posted:

Anyone in this thread involved with Aikido have experiences to share or pointers for starting out? I'm a complete beginner to any martial art but it seems like a good fit since I'm looking for physical/mental fitness and not self-defense/competition. Plus I don't have much weight or muscle mass but it doesn't look like you need it.

One place I've found puts their price structure right on the site and offers a free intro class with a discount on the first 3 months, plus they explicitly state you're not expected to buy additional merch/materials/whatever outside of the Gi and Aikido Federation membership. It's roughly $100/mo which seems a bit steep but I have no idea how that compares with other disciplines, every other gym I've looked up is super cagey about their price structure.

Thanks!

My advice to all aikido players is to play judo instead. Its better in every measurable way, including prices most of the time. Also don't worry about something "needing muscles" because doing it will make you strong enough to do it better over time. If you're set on aikido thats cool but competition is good and fosters a healthy mindset for training.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Yeah, do anything you want. If its in your price range and they let you take a free intro class then go hog wild. Be wary of any Steven Segals or becoming one and just do what seems fun.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I see a lot more dumb-rear end men picking fights than I do women,

Yeah, I feel like a lot of people suffer delusions of grandeur after like a week of krav maga or whatever and it's a decent enough conversation to have with anyone who practices.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I feel like a hurricana is an attainable goal as a modified flying triangle and probably worth pursuing

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

The Darlok posted:

So I have my third amateur MMA fight on the 22nd.

My opponent is 0-4. Hasn't fought in three years. I'm 1-1, haven't fought in like a year and a half I think? My opp's two more recent fights are on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BeVUT8Kox4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYhoKYVifs8

Obviously three years is a long time. But I suspect he probably hasn't spent all three of those years training hard. If he looks anything like he did in those videos it should go well for me. For reference I'm a blue belt but I've been training fairly consistently since the end of 2010.

I guess if anyone wants to comment or give any advice I'm open to it. My strongest area is jits but I have half-decent takedowns and a decent chin. I think my striking is ok but I'm not nearly aggressive enough most of the time. I think the best case scenario is he comes out wild, I hit a takedown, and finish him in the first round with a sub.

https://youtu.be/1M80HqjHvV0

Do this. The guy seems like he wants to strike a little slower and methodical from a distance but clinches and goes into panic mode once someone gets in. Also lol at that guy in the first link.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

kimbo305 posted:

I was able to sidekick someone off his feet today. He was like 95% there with a superman punch, but I still did it :smug:

Taking someone off their feet with a kick makes everyone think you're a hero for like 3 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

got any sevens posted:

Yeah I have no illusions of either, I just wanted to learn a bit of self defense and try sparring a bit since I've never been in a fight. I'm moving in a few months anyway, should I try a diff kind of martial art? Which ones aren't too hard on my knees?

I would suggest picking up any martial art that has a competitive sport aspect and just never mentioning krav maga again. Just pace yourself and be open to learning and you should hopefully avoid any undue stress on any of your body's glowing weak spots.

There is no overstating how much more beneficial it is (even for "self defense" on the mean streets) to consistently spar with a live and resisting opponent.