Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I got the lighter Sisu for judo on the thread's recommendation. Never gotten a chance to test it, though, since I haven't been to judo after busting my ankle in the spring. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've got a HEMA tournament coming up in November, I'll probably wear it there just in case.

Edit: Also there's a local HEMA group that does medieval wrestling, I might end up hanging out with them a bit since they don't charge training fees or anything.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I ran into some chest-punching karate tournament yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4LjBS6Hjdo

So of course I started to look into it because it looks interesting (if a bit goofy) and... There's at least three competing organizations for Kyokushin, as well as a bunch of spinoff styles? How do people compete in this mess?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Judo can be pretty rough on the knees.

If you don't mind not being sporty, tai chi might actually help you rehab the knee.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 14, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hoover Dam posted:

... a discipline where you aren't supposed to hit your target...
https://twitter.com/axecapoeiravan/status/713835764228829184

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:stare: That's some conditioning right there.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's a really good reason to pick up a martial art, and BJJ is a good match for it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Did you read the OP? Read the OP. Especially the links. :v:

I mean, okay, exactly what is the worst case scenario, and how would knowing martial arts help at all? Looking at the news, the worst worst case scenario right now is an active shooter situation in a rock concert. But then, on the other hand, a local guy died earlier this week when he got kicked by a nazi, fell down and broke his head. I dunno, maybe he could've used some Muay Thai.

The best martial art is the one where you get attacked a lot in unpredictable ways and learn to deal. The krav place might train that way, or they might just go "no attack me like this so I can grab your crotch". The wing chun place probably doesn't train like that. The boxing and Muay Thai places probably do. Go check them out. I'm not gonna judge if you end up doing krav maga just because it feels badass.

But buy the drat shoes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

KildarX posted:

I did wing chun for awhile before moving on to BJJ and Kickboxing and I can post a huge data dump on my experience with Chun if the thread wants it, but the TLDR of it is there is no point in learning Wing Chun because what you learn isn't taught in an applicable manner, and the few good things you learn from it are things you would have learned implicitly from rolling BJJ/NoGi/whatever within your first six months.
:justpost: I'm always up for more certified fake martial arts.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh, speaking of fake martial arts!

Morihei Ueshiba, developer of aikido, was hired to teach Japanese special ops martial arts during the WWII. He eventually got sacked and replaced by a karate dude because the soldiers couldn't make the techniques work. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

How many pro wrestling moves have you tried to import into your BJJ game?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The objective of judo is to throw the other guy flat on their back with force. People prefer falling to their side because that only gives the opponent a point instead of an outright win.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's cool stuff. I'd like "Wing Chun Theory for Dummies" next, please.

I've been reading a lot of properly academic martial arts studies stuff lately and the most interesting blog on the subject I know, Kung Fu Tea, is run by a wing chun guy. He's written a book about its history, too. I think his conclusion is "well, ultimately :iiam:". An interesting thing I learned from the blog is that wing chun was pretty unknown before Ip Man brought it to Hong Kong, where it really took off.

It's kinda interesting how kyokushin karate matches actually do happen at that weird halfway point between clinching and proper boxing, but that's probably because they prohibit both clinching and punching the head. :v:

Incidentally, Russians actually have wing chun competitions. They, well, yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlaRMGGa-Pc

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Omglosser posted:

This is loving awesome. Do you have a link or something that could verify this? I keep getting "aikido works cuz o sensei trained military guys" type stuff on google searches.
Ellis Amdur mentions it in his book Dueling With O-Sensei, and I saw an old interview with the karate guy who replaced him recently, but I can't find it right now. I very much recommend the book, by the way.

Edit: Oh hey, I found it!

quote:

My method of training was a simple one. For punching (tsuki) I demanded that they strike to the enemy's face, and for kicking, that they attack the kintekki [tl note: balls].

Siivola fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 20, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm by no means an Aikido fan, but I think you are being a bit unfair:
Eh, maybe I'm cherrypicking a bit. I'm an aikido fan though so it's okay.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dueling with O-Sensei is pretty much that already, I think you might find it interesting.

Speaking of mining traditional martial arts for good stuff, is anyone here familiar with judo's kata side? I've understood there's a lot of stuff like wrist locks and whatnot collected in there.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

Re bjj, is there anything I can do to stop the amount of tiny cuts I'm sustaining? We train on quite rough mats, puzzle mats I think they're called, and I often find myself with half-inch cuts on my feet and hands, occassionally my head. Is this just something I have to get used to? Been regularly training for over 2 years, so it's not a case of getting used to the mats. Cheers.
Is your skin super dry? You could try changing the soap you're showering with before you train, or using some sort of moisturizing lotion. If you're not a super-gross goon, showering in the morning instead of right before class might also work. If nothing helps, go to a doctor, rubbing open sores on people and more importantly the dirty mats is gross as heck

Siivola fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 21, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I dunno any particular brands, but drugstores should have stuff branded for dry or sensitive skin. Don't spend too much. You could also consider just showering less often – it's okay to be a bit greasy, it keeps your skin healthy. (Not too much, ya goons!)

Edit: Who was it that did an effortpost about soap on the last thread?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 21, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm the thread's biggest Fake Martial Arts Apologist, but I've been watching a bunch of Fightpass lately and... Punchsports look pretty fun. :shobon: Maybe if I ever have a stable job and free healthcare I'll try some.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Concussions are bad for you, and getting a concussion makes it easier to get concussed again. If you get punched in the head and see stars or your ears start ringing, maybe take a break because that's a mild concussion already.

Still probably safer than football, tho.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A while back I watched a video of Chris Haueter explaining how back in the day, black belts could slap lower belts in the face. They couldn't slap the black belts back, so they had to figure out a BJJ solution to it.

It's a cute way of going about it, although it needs the right gym to work.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just lol if you don't buy all your clothes at https://www.justsaiyan.co

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I feel like 'discipline, humility and respect' are byproducts of learning any difficult physical endeavour, anything where you have to grind out improvements over time.

When a TMA that lacks those ingredients claims to build character, I think they're advertising fire when they only have smoke.
At least for traditional Japanese stuff like aikido or iaido, graduation exams serve that requiremet. It's not "real" like competition, but at least over here you need to demonstrate improvement to get a new belt.

But lol at everyone who thinks martial arts have any use beyond being an excuse to hug sweaty dudes in this day and age.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Do you no longer have to leave the mat or do you no longer have to throw up? :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nobody strikes any more and all of us sword nerds made a thread for ourselves. :(

(Fencing is cool & good, incidentally.)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sword combat is a solved problem in general.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, you know anyone who spars with live blades?.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omUDukWbS0w

kimbo305 posted:

Is that not possible with wooden/blunt weapons and appropriate armor?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85KF_aB-IA

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah I mean the question was specifically about low-intensity sparring so I figured I'd find an actual sparring video instead of people going at each other in a tournament. :shrug:

Since I'm on a dumb HEMA tangent, here's some Slovakians doing choreographed drills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIKMPIFJkzk

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've heard it's really good for physical therapy. Give a try if you have aches and pains from shitposting too hard.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Martial Arts Thread: Just Steal Running Shoes.

Edit: Also:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 22, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's been a long while since I wore that sweet skirt, but I watched the vs TKD vid and I find it pretty clearly aikido. The matwork in particular is very familiar. Tactically, I do think that's pretty much in line with what I learned: Keep a distance, wait for the opening, do a takedown, shoulder lock on the mat. However, having read Ellis Amdur's thoughts on atemi, I do feel there is room in aikido for a more proactive sort of approach that seeks to actively unbalance the attacker, maybe? (That might just be all my dabbling in all sorts of other styles bleeding through, though.)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Edit: The stance in the TKD video is actually much narrower and karate-like than the one I learned. Mine is closer to the one in the BJJ videos, with the feet wide and arm extended more.

kimbo305 posted:

This guy clearly knows what he's doing in terms of range and timing, though his techniques only get him so far.
That first video mentions a correct application @1:17, but it ends up being a total sacrifice throw. The wrist lock to throw at 2:07 seems legit to me.
The trip takedown in the 2nd video works, but you see that in any number of arts. Not to mention the aikidoka has a pretty big size and strength advantage on his partners.
Very familiar technique again, the few times it happens. 1:17 is a failed throw that he salvages, 2:07 is a lock takedown the BJJ guy rolls out of. Lots of gripfighting that doesn't really go anywhere, but I guess there's a lot of that in sportier grappling styles as well. The matwork shows pretty much the extent of aikido matwork I know of, which is basically one bad pin (second video) and three slightly different shoulder locks on a face-down opponent. I like how he tries stuff from his knees, we practiced that pretty often in aikido. 3:27 he uses a cute trick that almost works.

He seems to be looking to bait the BJJ guys into doing something that he can reverse, which I feel is correct from an aikido perspective. (I'd guess his stuff gets stuffed partly because he doesn't give the BJJ guys enough room to try attacks.) He kept walking forward and offering the grips he wanted to use, which might be slightly un-self-defense-y, but it's according to his gameplan so I like it. Again, I think there's room for a more proactive "get grips, invade personal space, throw" sort of approach in aikido, but on the other hand the vast majority of aikido practice starts from the assumption that the opponent obliges when you offer them a good grip.

It's hardly "dominating" but it's recognizably aikido. They seemed to have a lot of fun. :shobon:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 23, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It can be beneficial for stuff like posture, muscle control and grounding. There's a bunch of neat biomechanics behind tai chi push hands stuff, it's not based on pure magic.

I remember reading about a BJJ guy who tried tai chi and found it made his BJJ game a lot better? I might be just imagining things.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

What would be the right ruleset? BJJ plus ippon?
The pins are the best part of judo groundwork and their lack from BJJ is shameful. :colbert:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'd have to dig into a book to confirm this, but I think aikido is Ueshiba's take on daito-ryu jujutsu, which is closer to a "modern" grappling art instead of a swords-and-knives combative system. I might be mistaken, it's been a while since I read about aikido's roots. You can actually still find schools that teach the latter and claim to have a living lineage however many centuries back, going all HEMA about it wouldn't really make much sense.

Ueshiba was pretty weeb, tho, in the sense that he was apparently way nationalist and hung out with right-wing terrorists and loopy cultists. :japan:

I really recommend Ellis Amdur's book Dueling with O-Sensei, by the way. Amdur's a bit goony, but the book comes off as a fairly neutral take on aikido's roots. Lots of good stories about Ueshiba's students.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I just remembered there actually is an aikido school that competes. It's called shodokan (sometimes called Tomiki aikido after the founder) and the matches look something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eExZFSfelZc

Search for 徒手乱取 on Youtube and you'll find a bunch of videos. (At least I hope I used the correct runes.) You can't grab the other guy's gi so it's even more playing pattycake than the aikido vs BJJ videos earlier, but if I squint I can sorta see familiar stuff.

Edit: But to be entirely fair I see familiar stuff when I watch freestyle wrestling and that's 100% more entertaining than this.

Edit2: Oh, this isn't actively embarrassing to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAFMMci9dS0

Siivola fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 25, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

manyak posted:

I think the overall body of techniques and the things they encourage are bad enough that youd be worse off doing Aikido (without cross training for context) than just doing whatever
This is a really curious argument and I'd really appreciate it if you went into detail.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

manyak posted:

Really its just a long-winded way of saying the obvious, that techniques that actually "work" come out of thoughtful, goal-oriented, live practice or competition. Thats the quickest way to end up with something thats actually useful, and tradition is only worth as much as how it gets you to that point. Aikido has a lot of tradition thats a waste of time. Sorry for rambling but you did ask for detail
I think at this point of the thread we can all (even us fake martial arts nerds) accept "to learn to wrassle you actually need to wrassle" as a truism.

I was actually hoping you'd claim how aikido doesn't have X thing so I could point out how it totally does have X thing, just done terribly. :smuggo:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

boy are my arms tired posted:

really want that godfather training top
Good news, you can buy one. https://www.scramblestuff.com/product/scramble-x-the-godfather-official-rashguard/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They should get together with taekwondo people for a "Let's Not in the Face" tournament.