Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
One of my judo senseis is also a vovinam master and started a club here from scratch last year. We finally got gear and started sparring for real and I've confirmed a couple things:

1) Side kicks work, quite well actually
2) Judo definitely works in a fistfight, even without grips since I have boxing gloves on
3) I need to start jogging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
In tournaments I believe it's a 3 second clinch, but our instructor wants people to get good at grappling so he doesn't enforce it in sparring.

No real takedown restrictions except no sacrifice throws and nothing obviously dangerous (except, strangely enough, scissor sweeps, which is crazy coming from judo where they've been banned as super dangerous for many decades, but vovinam specializes in them).

Not sure how it's all scored yet since we haven't done a tournament yet and vovinam rules are hard to find in English.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I learned today that I'm very bad at kicking.

I came in from judo and started a striking style about 6 months ago and said the exact same thing. Way, way better now. Not sticking your face right into someone's hook, that's the hard part.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Wear gloves with a heavy bag btw, you will gently caress your hands up.