Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If someone is going for pressure points in BJJ they are leaving themselves open to something. Whichever limb they're using to waste time is a limb not defending a sub or sweep or setting up a real technique. If he's putting fingers in your ribs while in guard, he's asking for a triangle or arm at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I don't understand why you would go for an arm bar without trying to use it to end the fight ie. break it or at least threaten to break it. You're just giving up position.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

yeah she might have broken it on the extension.

As draculino once said: "I have seen guys fight with broken arms, I never see any - body fight asleep"

Yea, it's pretty much my MO to go for chokes if I get in a street fight. You never know what someone is on, but they can't continue to do anything if there's no oxygen going to their brain.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

What's your guys take on standup sparring with takedowns, groundwork, but super light striking technique? I train at a BJJ gym and for the most part we train for straight BJJ sport and competitions, so no striking at all. However, recently we've had a few guys who are preparing for MMA fights come through so during sparring we'll start standing, w/ MMA gloves, throwing super light boxing and KB technique to work your way into a clinch. From there it's takedowns into BJJ w/ strikes on the ground. Obviously, you're just tapping the guy with your fist to let him know he's open to strikes. I find that mixing in strikes, however light, completely changes the dynamics of grappling. I guess my question is how useful is this from self-defense as well as sport/MMA/conditioning perspective? I found that I really enjoyed this type of sparring because it puts together all the things I love about striking and grappling without really having to worry about head trauma.

Most people trying to beat you up will try to hit you, as they aren't well versed in arm locks and chokes. If anything it is more important for actual self defense than learning to defend submissions.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

KildarX posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is random guy with no training that walks into your gym and 10 is a MMA title holder. I give the striking a 2.5 and the grappling a 3

This is atrocious. The striking is so bad without headshots, yet the fighters are still hesitant to engage and often turn away. No one in the entire video looks like they have a good base when they hit the ground.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I tend to have more issues with the top of my big toe getting rubbed raw when I shoot a lot of shots. Unless someone is dropping knees on your toes, they should be bruising from you moving around.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Yea left foot facing forward, right food shoulder width and 45 degrees out or a little narrower.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Is the coach actually Brazilian?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Why is Aikido sounding more and more like Scientology?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Looks like a work.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

In a sock?!

Yes, hold the ankle end of the sock in one hand and throw the ball over your shoulder. Your hand counter weights the ball and let's you adjust it to right where you need it.

Also you can beat people up with it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

You don't hit yourself with it, you throw the ball your back and lean against a wall.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I'm not sure how this guy's aikido credentials check out, but here you go:

https://youtu.be/0KUXTC8g_pk

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Jato posted:

I want to start training a martial art on my off days from lifting for some general fitness + fun. Planning to sign up for an intro BJJ course to see if I like it, but not sure if I should go with the Gi or No Gi course that this place offers. Would one be preferable to the other for a beginner going in with no experience?

Also if any martial arts goons are in the Richmond, VA area, do you have any thoughts on Revolution BJJ or recommendations for where else to check out?

If you're in shape, you may find no-gi more fun as it rewards strength and explosiveness. And if you're not in shape, in gi you can slow things down with grips and technique.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Someone body triangled me too hard and popped my rib years ago. I tried to keep rolling but I couldn't take any deep breaths. I took two weeks off from everything, sleeping was a pain in the rear end. I was lifting again in 2 weeks and rolling again in 3. Nothing about it was fun.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

That looks awful and my advice is don't give up your back like that just to go for the kimura. Hope you recover soon.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Which gym are you at? Boston by any chance?
Our gym -- you might get hit hard if you run really hard into a punch or duck into a high kick. It'll happen once in a blue moon. In several years of sparring, I've had maybe one concussion, and several milder (but obviously still bad for by brain) incidents.

Your sparring partners should only give you what you can handle. If they can easily handle you, they'll place a lot of soft shots.

If you take your training seriously, you'll be in shape way before you'll be sparring hard enough to risk concussions.

What gym are you at? Redline?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've been a blue belt since 2011 so I can give you a huge list of what not to do if you'd like

Get a lot stronger so you start using less moves against people your size or smaller, and depend on your new strength. Then watch as you start to suck against anyone bigger than you. Also don’t do cardio, strong people don’t need cardio.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Long skinny guys have the great guards and are impossible to pass. What are those guys talking about?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Juanito posted:

A majority of the class only has boxing gloves, so any grappling gloves will give me an advantage.

Don’t be that guy

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I was given a blue belt before ever wearing a gi. 10 years later I’m still a blue belt and probably have only done 3-6 months of gi, I think.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

JaySB posted:

First part seems odd. 2nd part, what's your point exactly?

Basically you’ll find people belting in no-gi and that’s becoming more common but it’s probably far from the norm. And Brazilians will probably never support that.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I’ve been tapped by wrist locks a single digit amount of times in 10 years of No-gi. And have probably tapped people less 20 times... most people just learn to keep their wrists straight.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Hey guys, Jiu Jitsu question: Is there a name for the submission whereby I grab my opponent's foot and drive my elbow into their shin? (Its a sure tap from the pain) Typically done if someone takes my back but they done have their hooks in quite properly. I was shown this move from one of the FPJJ black belts who came up to visit from Sao Paulo. I managed to use it this morning and was playing around with the timing for catching it but I have no idea the name for it.

Do you drive your elbow into their shin bone or like the inside of their calf? Because that can get taps too.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Guys no man alive or otherwise would ever have beaten Bruce Lee, JKD is too strong

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Try the other class?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Was this the thread where people were wanting to see a show with pro gyms taking untrained people and getting them ready for a fight?

Well...

https://twitter.com/Wimp2Warrior/status/998900205259915265

I’m surprised they didn’t go with Fairy2Fighter. Maybe that will be the next spinoff.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I would never use PEDs but I could see myself juicing and not working out just to enjoy the mood swings.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

BJJ is about butt scooting and guard pulling. Fortunately or unfortunately.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

It’s amazing how many pro wrestlers can’t even wrestle. Looking at you, CM Punk!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Pretty much. But then what does she do, she’s a female now. Can’t compete in the men’s.

My bright idea was “fix the weight classes for women in BJJ”. This was apparently stupid.

You’re not addressing the massive strength advantage at all. As much as I wish there was a feel good answer for everyone, I don’t see it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

Is there any concrete evidence that a trans woman has a significant strength advantage over a cis woman in the same weight class, beyond what would normally exist because humans are inherently all different from one another when it comes to body composition, etc.? I feel like a lot of people are expecting us to take that on faith, and that's a pretty poo poo basis for decision making.

It’s more likely that if you want to sway anyone you have prove it the other way.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Are there differences in bone size and density between men and women? How are those effected by transitioning? Does mass of hand bone size translate to punching power? Is there any difference in skull size that would allow men to take bigger hits before being KOed?

I mean most of those won’t matter for Judo or BJJ but they could certainly create an imbalanced playing field or be potentially dangerous for women in MMA.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The worst part about the argument is that it’s now set up in a way that if you want to take precautions to protect women you are now against trans people. Anyway, I used to train with a trans male both when he was a woman and after the transition. He (as a woman) fought a now former woman’s UFC champ years before women were in the UFC. I think he got quite the eye opener in terms of strength difference when newer training partners who weren’t treating him as a girl, or when he started telling guys not to hold back and has gone back to mostly BJJ.

Since you haven’t posted the publication saying trans women don’t have a competitive advantage over women, can you at least outline the criteria examined or what sport(s) were focused on mainly?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Half those guys are so out of shape that they kneel and refuse to stand, then try to whip each other with a fake sword. Most of those geniuses also just wildly swung directly at the shield, expecting to somehow magically swing through it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I’ve grappled a few times with both people closing their eyes. We started from the knees for safety reasons but it was pretty much the same.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

After the whole Greg Hardy situation, the would be kidnapper will prob get signed to the UFC.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I did TKD as a kid and I wouldn’t say it was an absolute waste of time but I’d say my time could have been better spent, had there been other options available.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I use a $1 boil and bite and it’s been just fine for BJJ, Muay Thai and MMA. Probably time to get another one though... it’s been a number of years.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

If you are coming into BJJ with no experience and getting smashed by everyone that tells you something. BJJ is a system that works,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yuns, you don't feel bjj is for everyone, can you explain why you've come to this conclusion? I don't necessarily disagree, just interested in your experienced viewpoint.

Some people don’t like losing for a month solid. BJJ is a very humbling experience and for the most part it’s very rare to get lucky and beat a more experienced training partner. BJJ will destroy your ego.