Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

slidebite posted:

For you guys that travel, have you ever tried just calling up/dropping by a club of your affiliated sport to see if you could drop in for a class? If so, what was the response/reception?

I know we've hosted a couple "strangers" from time to time and everyone has been super friendly to them as far as I know, but not sure if that's a common occurrence or not?

Also, got rid of my universal gym because I never use it and bought a heavy bag and stand. The stand has studs for plates. Any idea what I'll need for weight for plates? Or, do you see a downside to just using a few sandbags or something draped over the legs?

I've done sandbags then switched to weights. Even fully weighted down the stand will move a little bit and that will start to rip up the sandbags; cleaning a sand blowout off mats is not fun. If budget is an issue try wrap the sandbags in an outer layer of canvas or something, but otherwise just go for weights.

Personally I'd go for the weight of the bag on each peg but google says 75% works ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

kimbo305 posted:

Nevertheless I think it's a real downside to sparring how reflexively we stop and relax immediately when a partner holds up a hand because their shinguard is rotated 90deg after a kick catch attempt. Incredibly unsporting, but I'm sure you could draw that kind of deescalation just by holding up your hand and making a "hold up" face during a real fight. You see it frequently enough when fighters put their hands to a poked eye.

This is the punchsports equivalent of a war crime

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regarding sparring habits, I don't wanna be too humorous, but I think the skills you gain from training are going to vastly outweigh any conditioned responses from sparring etiquette.

Like, regular rear end dudes can't control their reaction to a one - two, and that's way worse than me not internalizing the cobra kai mantra.

Edit: oh, i don't know what glib means, I looked it up.

I'm being glib, yeah, but also serious. It's basically attacking under a false flag of truce; I had a visceral reaction to the idea.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’m trying to get my kicks back and I have a physiological question. Which is a more efficient sequence of training for getting better leg flexibility: 1. Warm up, stretching, kicking training or 2. Warm up, kicking training, then stretching.

VVV yeah what the Doctor said

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 22, 2020

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

rjderouin posted:

Going to finally replace my BJJ Gi I have been using for 9 years. Thousands of loads of laundry and death grips have tattered it. Anyone have any interesting ways I can display it? Maybe shadow box or something like that?

I shred old workout gear and stuff my heavy bag with it

The circle of life

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Xguard86 posted:

Key advantage of wraps is when you put them on you feel like a loving savage.

:hai:

For real I find that putting on wraps helps me mentally shift into "workout mode". It's the focusing ritual of applying them, the tiny impediment of making it more awkward to mess around my phone or laptop, and a clear constant visual/kinesthetic reminder that it's rear end-Beating Time.

Even if they didn't have real physical protective benefit (I think they do) they keep me safer by signposting that it's not time to gently caress Around and I need to focus on what I'm doing.

(I couldn't find any randomized double blind studies but I did find a physician's report that called for longer wraps to be the competition standard so at least fight docs think they help :shrug:)

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 13, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Perpetual disclaimer: Boxing gloves protect your hands, they do not effectively protect your sparring partner. A full force punch at a hard target ( like a human skull) can easily break the puncher's hand. Padding the hands means you can punch much harder.

If yall are doing serious full contact, I'd suggest investing in some headgear.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

slidebite posted:

If you keep into TKD I highly recommend you pick up this book. Try and get the 2nd updated edition. It's a fantastic read. Gets into a lot of the history of TKD including a ton of dirty laundry and politics. It's really interesting read and my wife who doesn't even care for martial arts read it cover to cover in a day.
https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Art-History-Updated-Revised/dp/1770413006/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=killing+art&qid=1622903219&sr=8-1

Thanks for this reccomendation; it looks awesome. TKD has such a weird tangled mess of a history.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe stuff like contact juggling and sleight of hand.

Lockpicking and massage are good for sensitivity. Both require you to learn to 'see' by touch.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

slidebite posted:

Spent a bit of time on punching drills. Basic jab/cross stuff, stance switches, etc. He said my right is an absolute hammer but my left lacks. When I try to make up for it my instinct is to pull it back a bit instead of a nice straight quick "pop". I'm pretty balanced physically (not a huge difference between left/right) and I do know my right is decent. I seem to have a bit of trouble getting some decent technique in muscle memory for my left even though I do it properly with my dominant right.

Are you a southpaw?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

slidebite posted:

No, very right dominant. I try to make a point of using my left side more, but it's lacking.

So mainly the cross? Sight unseen, you probably need to use your legs and hips more, because everyone needs to use their legs and hips more when generating power. Think of how someone pushes off the back leg and rotates their whole body when swinging a baseball bat. You're doing the same thing but you're using it to drive your fist forward. By the time the muscles in your arm are involved most of the work should already done.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 26, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I do grappling primarily and honestly kata and board-breaking are what I miss the most from TMA. How many opportunities do you get to break poo poo just to see if you can?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I'd pay money to see Trump attempt a spin kick

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

The tricky thing about Kung Fu is that someone who made up some bullshit about the Shaolin temple isn't legit but someone who did that 300 years ago is. Founder/lineage hagiography is really common. If they describe their lineage, see if it sets off your bullshit detector

In addition to the great advice others offered, you could also check for competitive Wushu schools if that's something she'd like.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

CommonShore posted:

Ah yeah it's more of a "same questions, similar answers" situation

Check out bareknuckle boxing from HEMA people at some point; the lack of padded gloves makes it surprisingly Wing Chun like.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

kimbo305 posted:

ONX gloves

How sturdy would you say they are? I'm spoiled by my two decade everlast wraps

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Goondolances, rib injuries suck

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

EdsTeioh posted:

BJJ dudes that think having a blue belt makes them ready to fight in UFC. I don't really mind the "laid back surfer" poo poo since I live about a mile from the beach and sort of trend that way myself, but it's the aggro alpha male poo poo that I don't like.

Basically: I want to train with Matt Riddle. I don't want to train with the Diaz brothers.

This must vary by gym cause I've met way more of the former than the latter

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

If I had to stereotype I'd say MMA gyms as a whole are the most aggro, old school Brazilian-run BJJ places are slightly more aggro than more Americanized schools since there's an element of self-defense and the Gracie lineage did a lot of thug poo poo back in the day. Pure BJJ/competitive BJJ gyms are relatively chill because you're mostly learning to face off against other rubber-limbed weirdos who will invert themselves at the drop of a hat.

I stress that this is a stereotype based on tendencies and you can find complete absolute sweaty sweeties at a MMA gym and dumb aggro 20-something jocks at a comp. BJJ place. Every gym is different.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Is anyone else reading this with a thick Noo Yawk accent

Edit: I know Fujian is a real place, but the combination of that and the "drunk guy at a bar talking your ear off" energy is too much

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 23, 2022

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Another tip: Try to relax. White belts have reputation for exhausting themselves because they don't know what they need to defend against so they fight every little grip adjustment and weight shift as though their life depended on it. You'll run out of gas quickly and it can be downright dangerous depending on the situation (i.e. if they appear to be applying a leglock for the love of God don't try to roll out, just tap)

You don't know what you're doing; everyone started there, just relax and observe what they are doing on the way to tapping you. You can ask to drill the situation afterwards

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 26, 2022

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Accept that good BJJ rarely looks dignified

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

slidebite posted:

Question: I find I am still subconsciously holding my breath especially when doing multiple intense moves which is, well, counterproductive. I have been making a point to do a sharp exhale each time I do a strong strike to force myself to breathe and try to put it into habit/automatic, but it's not sinking in. I have to *think* about proper breathing more often than I would like.

Any ideas?

Kiais? Yell like you are in an 80s action movie.

You can 'yell' quietly if you are in class. If not, just pretend you're Bruce Lee lol we're all pretending to be Bruce Lee at least a little

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 4, 2022

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

There's also a limit to how hard someone can swing at a hard-rear end piece of bone with their delicate human hands.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I'd suggest you budget some extra for weight plates; sand bags will get shredded up over time :sigh: