Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

hi liter posted:

Do ya'll train with any cops? I know that a few I've trained with some in the past, as well as vets in the past, but the politics around both those issues has....changed in the last few years.

Any good stories?

I used to train with a few. No good in gym stories but one time I got in some trouble at a bar in a small college town (minor stuff no fighting/drugs etc) and the sheriff working security brought me outside. I was pretty drunk and during my questioning and pretty unfocused. At some point, in my haze, I connected his uniform with the guys I know and asked if he knew officer X and officer Y. He said he did and I was like "oh they're great guys, great training" and wouldn't shut up. Finally, he got kind of exasperated and asked the next time I was going to the gym and I was like "oh yeah tomorrow I never miss Saturdays." He cut me loose and I went back home.

I made it to class, pretty hungover. He made sure officer X and officer Y were there and they had a message for me. I probably would have taken the ticket over the rolls we had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Anyone know anything about the martial arts scene in Toronto? I might be commuting up there for work. Downtown area

I'm primarily a BJJ guy but down for judo or really anything that I can fit in the schedule.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Nice, I need to figure out exactly where I'll be staying working but looks like that open mat place has a lot of different times, that's good because often I can't leave work until 6:30 or 7.

My job is nominally full time travel but I've gotten lucky and been home for like 2 years. I'm hoping I can keep my schedule on the road, because last time I was traveling my training kinda sucked.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think the client is near the hockey/baseball arenas? Def will be staying working downtown.

Paperwork isn't signed yet so I haven't booked the hotel or put too much effort into the details. If it goes to 100 I'm going to get more details.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

X post from the grappler thread:

Whats up MA thread, I'm a brown belt now. Kinda surreal since 1) that's like an adult rank 2) due to my life style (80% travel job) I've been a purple belt for over 5 years, which makes a new belt feel even stranger.

What's funny is that Im commuting to Toronto now and just joined a gym there. So I'm going be rolling back up with a new belt after a single class with them. They seem chill so I'm not too worried about being a target but I almost want like an official letter from my home gym to prove I'm not just like buying a belt on Amazon.

I'm not very good: bird body and not enough consistent mat time. our competitive purples run me over and even the more gifted/bigger blues can make my life hell.

I have a good time on mat and honestly don't care who "wins", because getting my rear end kicked in BJJ is still better than like 3 things I do each week anyway. I think I'm like one of those nba guys they keep around despite being comparatively terrible because he's fun on the bench and easy to deal with.

Anyway for all you blue and white belts: keep training and grinding because eventually they'll just give up and promote you.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

spiralbrain posted:

Tore my intercostal cartilage yesterday sparring. Apparently this is a common injury??

Congrats!!

Thanks and yes pretty common I think. Happened to me. Take enough time healing because it's slow and easy to reinjure.

Also mine crept in very slowly and I traced it to some unhealthy movements in my game. So if this wasn't a sudden event then examine how much you're disconnecting your shoulders and hips then twisting

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

It took me a month to do normal exercise and then another month when it stopped flairing up in BJJ all the time.

It was my floating rib and I def felt it slide up over my other ribs and then pop back into position. Idk if thats worse than most people but hot drat it was debilitating.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

For a couple weeks, I had to invent novel ways of getting up from bed without posting on my elbow or hand, or my sternum would really sting. After that, it would hurt slightly to stretch my arms out fully to the sides, but had no other symptoms. Took a few months to go away fully.

Omg yes, getting into and out of bed was a nightmare. I would roll out onto all fours on the floor and stand from there.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

That's pretty unfortunate :/ dark too

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

It didn't look like you did, it confused me how that happened, given it looked like you went down pretty flat. Sucks dude :/

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Lifting the shinai overhead might be a problem. Plus kendo requires a pretty stabilized core for movement. So not as bad a BJJ or judo but still keep it light and brief because it's too easy to reinjure and then you're out again.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I'm not familiar with Seido karate but I watched a few youtube videos and saw a lot of pulled punches in their competitions. So, idk might be a good workout might be a lot of standing around and miming but probably won't be good for learning to actually apply techniques on resisting opponents. Maybe other people with more karate knowledge can jump in.

Could always check out the gym and see what you think, or report back to the thread and we can give soem context.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

BadSamaritan posted:

So I've been taking goju ryu karate lessons for about a month now, and have really been enjoying it. It's a very good group of chill people, and nobody feels like they're trying to prove something. I'm a pretty small person, and it's really interesting seeing how differently things work for me versus for big guys.

Does the amount of general bruising decrease as time goes on? Or should I just embrace not caring if I want to wear summer clothes ever again?

reduces over time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

+1 its hard to find many Americans with Lovato's pedigree.

My friend trained there for a bit and it sounded like its def a competition focused gym. Intense warmups, lots of drilling and dudes who are very serious about the sport. However, he said the instruction was great, people were nice and it was intense but not assholes if that makes sense so def go and try it.

My friend is a brown belt too so IDK if they go slower in the white belt section.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Novum posted:

That story rogan tells about chuck lidell backed up against a wall just one shotting everyone who got close to him

The best part is that he flipped his watch over his fist as a makeshift knuckle duster.

I think that story is different from winning a legit 5v1. 5 guys focused on loving one guy up versus chaos.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

willie_dee posted:

Don't you start otherwise there will be no one left posting earnestly.

I post earnestly but it's all boring statements like,

"Sometimes it's ok to not enjoy BJJ"

Fwiw i was working with some guys from Brazil and I mentioned BJJ. They had the same feedback- that in Brazil it's kinda got a bad association, particularly for the older generation.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

There is that video of galvao clowning the guy who had a black belt in some non Brazilian jiu jitsu style.

That could be you!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

willie_dee posted:

I love that those fake self-defense nonsense gyms are being exposed.

OTOH 1993 was 25 years ago and I weep silently because people talk about their non-sense kung fu and street combat "too real for the cage" bullshit all. the. time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Siivola posted:

I bet the TOO DANGEROUS things were originally just something like "and when you throw the guy you can also spike them on their head – but please don't actually do that" and then the story grew in the telling.

Edit: "Original Kano-ryu Jujitsu! Limb-shattering techniques once considered too dangerous to teach!!"

And then it's just judo kata and kawazu-gake drills all day long.

I attended a seminar with an old school judoka where in response to a question, he actually covered the mechanics of throwing someone nicely vs very serious self defense where you're intentionally looking to limit their rotation and head spike someone.

I think he liked the question because, unprompted, he also talked about this other technique that was pretty much converting a russian 2-on-1 arm drag into this dropping/sacrifice throw thing targeted at breaking the elbow and wrist while throwing.

This was a former olympic calibre guy who was a thousand years old and could still toss people. So, I think the step all the "too dangerous" crowd is missing is the part where you're any good at anything and then turn up the nasty.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Sounds like my kinda gym

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Hand wrapping is badass and I wish BJJ had an equivalently cool preparation ceremony. Belt tying is close but doesn't make me recite the speech from gladiator in my head.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I am Otis posted:

Headgear is cool but so are hosed up ears.

It kinda bums me out that after a decade of training my ears are totally normal looking. I'd like just *a little* so people would know I'm serious.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Been there done that. My ears have even swelled a bit from time to time but never needed to be drained or anything. Just doesn't happen to some people

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Neltharak posted:

Open palm strikes work only when you're trained to do them. They hurt your own wrist more than the other guy in a lot of cases.

When untrained people ask me for "magical self-defense tips" my answer is always run the gently caress away :v:

Barring that, throw something at the guy and run away. Knee his balls and run away.

Magical self defense quick tips are nearly always bullshit and get people stabbed. :colbert:

(Yes, i realize that i just gave self-defense quick tips, the irony is staggering)

I always say this as well and suck all the air out of that particular conversation.

"Hey what's one tip to driving a golf ball straight 200 ft?"

"Can you show me how to run a 4 minute mile"

See, sounds ridiculous

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I took a nut shot so bad I had a purple uniball for a week and a half but I still finished that round. Very overrated in regards to stopping a real attack.

Liver is a loving off-switch. i obviously don't know what death really feels like, but one day I'm going to find out and it will probably be a lot like that 2nd round back in 2015.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Neltharak posted:

Fiore dei Liberi had some pretty nasty grappling stuff as well, around the same period. Based around "gently caress up the other guy as hard as possible in as little time as possible". He wrote it in style too.

A renaissance man's version of "you gon get beat" :allears:

I went to the beach with a friend, who had recently gotten his blue belt and I tapped him from turtle by jumping on his back, grapeving the legs and shoving his face in the sand to smother him.

I teach'a him da hespect.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cephas posted:

How rough are judo crawls (where you lay down on your stomach and pull yourself forward with your elbows) supposed to be on your elbows? I was doing a few sets of them in class and ended up rubbing my elbows raw. I dunno if my skin's just delicate, or my gi is especially rough or if this is just what happens when you do the drill.

I used to bunch up my sleeves when doing these so I wouldn't sandpaper my elbows...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

It's nice in the sense you can eat more filling meals. Kinda easier, at least for me to eat or not eat versus eating more frequently but carefully.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mouthguards also protect your jaw along with the teeth. It's a minor thing to avoid major difficulties.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Protects the jaw too. Which can be a bigger deal if less likely to go wrong.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I've been training for 10 years I'm a brown belt who has a lot of life stuff in the way and I'm not very athletic or big. So I get rolled up a lot it's embarrassing.

And I still say screw that guy. Get some thicker skin.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Usually, from my experience, when people start busting on you then you're part of the team.

Double Dumb of that brown belt coming back to exclude himself instead of just laughing along or talking back.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Guuuuyyssss

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I know that Jack Slack gets some poo poo here -

- but he did a few articles that analysed Robbie Lawler fights through the lends of Wing Chun techniques, particularly hand trapping, and they were pretty neat.

Yeah that's a good article.

Lawler is also a pretty complete fighter, with many layers to his game. You could see how 100 or 200 years ago a dude like that could tear it up, found a style and then have it slowly transform into weird poo poo after a few generations. Hell Lawler doesn't spar (anymore) so you've even got that baked in.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yeah but why not box and watch James toney videos every day for similar effect.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

If you've never gotten distracted holding pads and eaten one in the mouth because of that - you never done noth'in.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

More that they hit the pad then the pad hits you in the mouth because you were thinking about chicken or something.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

willie_dee posted:

Lol if your not blind with panic because the guy hitting pads may kill you or break your arm if he misses.

usually this when the serious dudes are at your station followed by

Xguard86 posted:

More that they hit the pad then the pad hits you in the mouth because you were thinking about chicken or something.

when the barely trying cardio-boxer wings arm punches at you

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think boxing needs a kata section where trainer and fighter do a coreographed sequence of pad work.

Maybe in the ring before fights like how MT fighters do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

The best reality check is doing a sub wrestling round with an amateur fighter. Or if they're cool and you're not spazzy try a very light striking session.

We had a couple UFC guys come visit our BJJ gym when I was 22 and it knocked all professional aspirations right out of my head. A bit later also got to do a cool down round (for him) with a pro boxer.

There are levels to this poo poo