Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
There's one central location where all the TSK fighters train and have fighter classes, and the rest of the schools are basic grappling and cardio kickboxing, for the most part. You could definitely do worse, but if you're in the geographical location of the majority of TSK schools you could easily do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Entenzahn posted:

I want to start a martial art for self defense. I'm looking at Krav Maga in the long run, as I hear it's the most effective. However, the studios here are a bit pricey. Our sports university offers some cheap martial arts courses every semester, but they don't do Krav Maga. I'd still like to start there just to get a feel for how I'm going to handle regular martial arts training on top of my current sports schedule. The choice is between Wing Chun, traditional boxing and Muay Thai. Boxing interests me the least, personally. Wing Chun has a mixed reputation and is also supposed to be bad for beginners. I like the sound of Muay Thai, but I'm not sure if the instructors are any good and also the course is early in the morning (eugh).

Right now I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and do Muay Thai, or alternatively I'll toss the idea and start right up with the Krav Maga studio. Or is Wing Chun any use? I'm mostly just looking for something efficient that will help me out in a worst case scenario (I never get into fights but I'd feel better out at night anyway). I already do strength and endurance training on my own if that's important.

Alternatively if someone wants to recommend me a great martial arts studio in Vienna I'm all ears.

fatherdog posted:

The main problem with Krav Maga is that you can become certified to teach "Krav Maga" by taking a three day seminar, so even if Krav Maga was the second coming of Judo developed by Muhammed Bruce Li I still would never recommend to someone that they join a "Krav Maga" school because you have absolutely no idea what you'll actually be getting.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gaz2k21 posted:

I've been Pro-Wrestling now for nearly a year and Jesus Christ fake-fighting is so much harder to grasp than actual fighting, that being said a new BJJ school has opened up literally walking distance from where I live, I'm pretty excited about this and have been attending sporadically (mostly due to shift work) but I'm soon to change my job to more normal hours and can hopefully attend more frequently......who knows I may even finally get a blue belt.

If you do, I would actually be pretty interested to hear how the various ways they teach you to take bumps in wrestling compare to the various Judo/BJJ style breakfalls.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm by no means an Aikido fan, but I think you are being a bit unfair:

Nah.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
There are plenty of ex- and active duty military at the places I train and tbh the only thing that distinguishes them from civilians of their belt level is the haircuts, generally

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Rolling with strikes will tighten up your game in a lot of ways, and should definitely be a part of training, but when you throw guys who are too new into it they have a tendency to stop doing anything from the bottom except cover up because they're overwhelmed with all the stuff they have to defend now.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KildarX posted:

There's truck entries from butterfly now???

There's truck entries from anywhere you could hit ko-uchi-gari, when you get right down to it

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

The main problem with Krav Maga is that you can become certified to teach "Krav Maga" by taking a three day seminar, so even if Krav Maga was the second coming of Judo developed by Muhammed Bruce Li I still would never recommend to someone that they join a "Krav Maga" school because you have absolutely no idea what you'll actually be getting.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Instructors dating students is extremely frowned upon in our association, to the point that people have left the school because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grandmaster.flv posted:

You took your girlfriend to a gym presumably filled with athletic men that like to dominate with their hips and you are a goon that likes anime.

Your immediate reaction to someone's girlfriend cheating on them being "Well you shouldn't have taken her somewhere she might meet dudes other than you" is maybe a little more revealing of your attitude towards relationships than you might have intended.