Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kimbo305 posted:

I recently got introduced to Mongolian Bokh. Gonna write up a little about it here and follow up later with a video of me trying it out.
Thank you for posting that. Learning about stuff I've never heard about is interesting as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

E: My reply below was written when I read on my phone and didn't absorb your full question. I'm answering related to a, what I would call, side kick. I assume there might be some differences between arts (I know less than nothing about what you do) but probably a lot of commonality as body mechanics are going to be the same regardless as we're all humans. It is a fairly basic white belt technique for us, and I suspect similar for most, although, surprisingly can be difficult to do really well even though it seems basic.

But, I also agree with ^^, don't try to do a bunch of everything.

There are 2 common things that cause issue with poor form.

1: As with all kicks that end in a position similar to that and *not* facing the front, the most common issue is not rotating your supporting foot to allow your hips to open up.

Ensure when you are finished, the toes on your supporting foot are pointing in the opposite direction then your kicks Primarily this is done so you lead with the heel of your foot, but also helps with everything else. Some flexible people (mostly children and young women) can do it with their toes pointed at roughly 90, but few grown men can do that and it will likely physically hurt if you try.

If you're not sure if you're doing it, put your back flat against a wall and get yourself into the finished position and see where your supported toes are pointing. If your support foot isn't pointed the opposite way, pivot it so it is and see what it feels like.

Another way to tell is if you're not leading with your heel on your kicking foot, you're almost certainly not in the right position on your supporting foot. The ball of the foot should not be the most forward. And also, in practice, leads to a far, far weaker kick.

2: You need to lower your head, bend at your waist. Similar as above, if you're super flexible, you might be able to get quite high without bending your upper body, but most grown men cannot do that, at least not well.

There is more to it for sure, but these are the basics. If you don't have an instructor on hand for immediate feedback, it might help to get in the proper finish position and work backwards.

ee: This is what I'm talking about. This kick is quite low, but you can tell the lower he brings his torso, the higher his kick is going to be. Also notice the supporting foot turned right around and the heel leading with the kicking foot.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 18, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ugh. That sucks man. :(

Do the treatment and physio you're supposed to and you be back at the mat faster than otherwise. Do not rush anything, ligaments are slow.

Morter posted:

When I started in February I didn't think I'd do more than just accomplish a 'physical activity quota' but I somehow earned the Rookie of the Year award from my Wing Chun school. :peanut:
Good for you man.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ohtori Akio posted:

I guess for some reason I assumed you'd usually use a padded target like in boxing. Not really compatible with a soft-contact sparring mode, though!
Depends. For partner work we'll sometimes bring out paddles, pads or a focus mitt, but more often just present targets with our gloved hands.

But going bare with no gear helps to develop control. Gear seems to give some of the less experienced a feeling of invincibility or an excuse to be sloppy.

That said, a full power kick or punch into even gloved hands is going to unpleasant, so you need to do pads for that kind of thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ugh that sucks man. Sorry to hear that.

We have private MRI clinics here as an option (faster than the single payer gvt plan) and I can get a total head to toe MRI with contrast and a dvd of images for $1200 :canada: moose dollary-doos.

I hope you heal soon enough to man. That bites.

We're closed at the club until Jan 8th now, and I'm going to be so loving fat due to the amount of baking we have from friends and family (and students). I can already tell the first few classes back in January are going to be roooough.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Merry Christmas, all you martial artist freaks!

If we remained open it would be super small classes. I'd personally still be game to train, but since we have such a short bench of instructors at the main school we just decided to close it up for the 2 weeks and give all instructors/assistants an opportunity to decompress. Our satellite schools are in other facilities (public school, church rec room) so we're at the mercy of their availability, but to be fair we'd probably close anyhow.

I'll probably just work on some personal stuff like patterns/forms at home as time allows and start figuring out what I want to do for break strikes on my heavy bag for my upcoming 2nd Dan test in June.

Count Roland posted:

Our gym doesn't close. There's open rolls today, xmas day, and boxing day. Regular classes the rest of the week (though probably with irregular lessons) and then another open roll on the 1st.
Does everyone have a key for your club or how does that work? Is it kinda like the 24hr fitness places?
e:

OscarDiggs posted:

This might not count but is there any decent online tutorial that will teach someone the basic movements of Tai Chi to a reasonable skill level?

It's something I've wanted to do for a long while but I don't want to risk covid any time soon. But I also know that without an instructor there to point out flaws it'll be very easy to learn wrong and mess things up long term.
Sorry, we had a bit of a simul-post

Bolded is absolutely a major risk. I know nothing about tai-chi so no real advice, but I'd probably spend some time looking at videos if that's your jam.... but assuming you're going to go to a class eventually, you might just want to spend some time researching good schools in your area and wait until an in class setting IMHO.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 25, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Trained tonight for the first time since Dec 22 and.... hurt myself during warm ups. Doing some sprints, slipped on the floor when turning around and somehow did something to what feels super high up under my rear end cheek right where hamstring connects.

The ironic part, I was running the warm ups and told all the students "Take it easy with the sprints!":haw:

:smith:

My RMT who trains with me says to look for bruising tomorrow. If I see any, I'm probably hosed for weeks. So hoping not. :(

Oh well, new adult member today so it was a lot of very basic 1:1 intro things, so as good of day as any for an injury.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Blaziken386 posted:

2: a place which looked okay but then had a section on the website dedicated to this, and uh,

i am pretty sure this place is a cult of some kind!
That sounds completely legit and totally reasonable mature behavior for a martial arts club.

Jesus christ :psyduck:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

hello dead thread

We're talking about updating and redecorating our club.

Our club is in a fairly old part of town and the building is probably pushing 100+ years old, we own it outright so we can do whatever. Just a matter of $$.

We actually removed the 80s style front facade/awning outside so we have the original old school red brick now as the exterior finish.

We presently have a very good wooden training surface (think a school gymnasium floor, which is exactly what it is) that we plan to refinish, but the ceiling are those crappy drop ceiling/tiles and fluorescent lights, also like a school from the 80s. The walls are generic white painted drywall.

We are thinking of putting in some 4x8 panels, kinda like this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-HDF-Kingston-Brick-Panel-KINGSTON/311316427
and lining the perimeter of our training surface with them.

What are thoughts on something like the above? Anyone do anything like that? What about drop ceilings?

I realize asthetics aren't normally a huge thing for clubs, but it has never really been updated in 30+ years and is just starting to get tired... so if we're going to put some $$ and sweat equity into it regardless, might as well spruce it up to something nice.

Change of topic,

As much as I love to train (especially with people better than me) I am realizing that while I can hold my own well enough and I am a fairly tough old gently caress, I am just too old and slow to be competitive, especially with people less than half my age. I'm also about 5'11 but with a long torso and short appendages, so only about a 31" inseam. And in my art reach and speed are massive so I need to be creative with my attacks and counters against someone else that knows what they're doing but enjoy a speed and a arm/leg edge.

I was sparring a 17-18 year old last night who is an *excellent* sparrer (actually my masters son, competes on our national team) and as I was pushing him back he delivered a beautiful jumping back kick as he was retreating. So fast, I couldn't see it coming. A simply great technique and delivered right, effective as hell.

It was delivered right.

Hit my right square in the chin. 1" higher, probably would have taken out my front teeth (and I just had endodental gum surgery 3 weeks ago), 1" higher than that, guaranteed a broken nose.

Took 10 seconds to shake it off, and got back into it with him, but yeah, I am sore. He probably pushed my jaw in a couple inches in a direction it's not meant to travel lol. I can't chew properly and my teeth don't line up quite right. Pretty sure it's just the swelling in my jaw and should go away in a bit. Could have easily been a knock out or even broken jaw tbh, so I was lucky.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Novum posted:

So did you change your name to Slidebite in commemoration of taking the face kick or was it a happy accident?
LOL, name's always been the same my man, but maybe it's time to rename my self to "foot face" or something

Ohtori Akio posted:

I imagine the aesthetics of your art are going to be a little different than kendo, but we like wood or wood-product paneling on the walls. Where I practice, that's sheets of plain MDF (I think) tacked up with a stain over it.

I wouldn't want to get shoved or fall into bricks, is what I'm saying. Basketball wall padding might also be nice if "flat brown" is not in fashion for your club. Probably more fire-resistant, too.
Wood is kinda nice and would give more options for colors/finishing.

The linked thing isn't really brick, its just a recycled wood based (I'm thinking like MDF?) panel with a faux brick look.

We certainly do the odd throw, but nothing remotely like the ground based/rolling arts and never in open/free sparring. Whenever we throw it's planned and acknowledged, so ending up upside down into the wall should never happen... but crashing into it might from upright sparring or drills and losing balance. We've patched the drywall from accidents a few times.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Today I also discovered I've been training enough that my legs are too thick (especially calves) to wear some brands and cuts of normal/regular pants :(

Which sucks, because I really liked these pants!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 25, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Front leg sidekicks are basically the equivalence of a jab but for a kick imho.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah that just seems like a disaster all around. Not sure where the complainant is able to say whether any martial arts association can or cannot sanction any specific event, but it's just a sad situation around.

Does anyone know of a north American source of large interlocking mats for competitions for a reasonable $$? That's relative of course.

My club is looking to buy our own (probably around 800ish) and the price along with shipping is horrific from the suppliers we've found so far. We'll probably buy an enclosed trailer to store them too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Trained with our sparring team last night and we spent the first 20 minutes doing various full power kick drills up and down the floor with a partner holding the kicking bag.

Last drill was full power back kicks. Get to the switch so I start holding. Get back to the beginning, one last kick to go and I tell my partner (late teens, tall lanky kid) "One more, make it your best one!"

And he proceeds to kick me full tilt into the front of my thigh, right into my quad.

Dropped me like a sack and gently caress me, did it hurt. No bruise yet, but it was a deep one. He dug in nicely with his heel.

Made the rest of the otherwise awesome class suck and I am walking like a 95 year old cripple this am lol.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

slidebite posted:

Trained with our sparring team last night and we spent the first 20 minutes doing various full power kick drills up and down the floor with a partner holding the kicking bag.

Last drill was full power back kicks. Get to the switch so I start holding. Get back to the beginning, one last kick to go and I tell my partner (late teens, tall lanky kid) "One more, make it your best one!"

And he proceeds to kick me full tilt into the front of my thigh, right into my quad.

Dropped me like a sack and gently caress me, did it hurt. No bruise yet, but it was a deep one. He dug in nicely with his heel.

Made the rest of the otherwise awesome class suck and I am walking like a 95 year old cripple this am lol.

Took about a week for the bruise to come out

The kick was a couple inches higher than the bruise.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I learned today that I'm very bad at kicking.
As said, that's the first step in learning.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've got one of these paired up with a ~100-120lb heavy bag

https://everlast.ca/products/heavy-bag-stand

It's "OK" - biggest issue I have with it is doing truly strong kicks, you can absolutely move that thing around even with 50lbs+ of weight on each corner in addition to the bag.

So unless you can anchor it or put it up against a wall or that can absorb it and resist the movement, it's just going to happen. But for realistic home use without going to a massive gym size thing with a massive frame or bolted to the ground, it's a decent enough compromise. I don't use it every day by any stretch, but it does the job.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kimbo305 posted:

The rare times I’ve tried this shape of bag frame, the front weight pins and the slanted supports kinda bothered me. They weren’t in the way of most kicks but definitely occupied some mental space for lower kicks. That’s if you use a banana bag, which imo you should for general kicking. Not as big a deal for punches on a regular bag.

The gloves will protect your knuckles and metacarpals. You need to wrap properly to prevent your wrist from rolling painfully on misaligned punches. Which will happen frequently early on.
The side things, even the general supports kinda sketch me out too, but we really never kick anywhere near there in practice so it's not a big deal, but I feel you with that for sure.

Pretty much the only hand techniques I'd do with a heavy bag are knife hand (board breaking techniques) which it works pretty well for, tbh. The biggest issue is that the bag is "round" where the boards are obviously going to be flat.

I've actually been meaning to try and prop some sandbags on it to see if that helps more with movement.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Probably goes without saying, but if you can put the stand next to a wall, preferably with something to protect your baseboard, will help a lot. It'll still move though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Went into a competition yesterday for the first time since 2019. Was super convenient as it was only about 3 hours away so we had a good club representation.

Due to my age I'm in the "Executive" level division so its a bunch of heavy weight older blackbelts from 1-3 Dan along with a couple of older black stripes put into it as well. 90 second rounds. These divisions usually get a good crowd as it's the senior bruisers and while we're not going to be as flashy as the 18-30 year old black belts, it's pretty drat entertaining.

Rule set is light contact but not intentional full force. IE: No neck snapping back on purpose and we're not purposely looking for knock outs. Nothing below the belt and nothing to the back. Of course, if someone moves into it that can be a more difficult call, but by this stage we're all pretty good at control and pulling the full technique if it looks like it's going to be a big hit. But poo poo happens.

Anyhow,

I'm sparring a guy from my school who is testing for his 1st Dan next month. Super nice guy, probably about 6'2 250lbs... late 50s. Bit of a belly for sure but old man strong as hell. He's worked super hard and takes part in almost every class we offer and it shows as his improvement has been remarkable. Even so, he's very much a hands guy and doesn't do a ton with his feet other than the odd technique as his flexibility just isn't there and he knows it's not his strong suit. He typically chases people around the ring, but I'm not small either so I'm not easily getting chased or intimidated by size. I'm shorter than him at 5'11 but my leg reach is better than his arms and I can use my feet a lot, so unless we got super close he's going to have a tough time scoring on me unless he was comes in hard and I couldn't stop him, and even then I'll happily use hands.

So we're sparring and I'm all over this guy. He ate so many of my side and back kicks as he kept leaving his mid section wide open so I just kept hammering it. 2 points each time.

I'm probably up more than a dozen points, is my best guess. We are getting close to the end of the match. He gets a warning, I think it was a kick to the back, so we have to reset so we're back at the center of the ring and start again. I'm pretty light on my feet but I'll 100% admit I was mostly just standing there, waiting for him to telegraph so I can strike. I'm probably getting lazy and it wasn't my intention but could probably be viewed as a little cocky. My hands are mostly down and I'm just waiting for a good chance to dive in.

Right then, he sees the opportunity and gives me the fastest jab I swear he's ever done. Right to the face. I admit I totally didn't see it coming and I guess my neck snapped right back. There is a "oooooooooohhh" in the crowd and the ref immediately jumps in and stops it.

I stop, look at him, he's white as a ghost and he's saying out loud "I'm so sorry Mr. Slidebite, I didn't mean to hit you so hard."

And I start laughing.

Hard. I mean, full out laugh and the crowd can hear me and I hear others start laughing too. I find out later from others that people around the whole tournament heard our ring laughing so they were wondering WTF happened.

I was surprised but I totally deserved to eat that punch.

I'm "Man, don't worry about it, that was a good hit and I deserved it. Seriously, I'm OK." Give him a pat on the back and touch gloves. "Both of us earned that one buddy" or something along those lines.

And I was fine, it didn't rattle me in the physical sense at all. The ref (a guy I know) starts smiling as well and he says "Yeah, you probably deserved it but it was waaaay too hard" and gives him a point deduction for his troubles as he already had a couple warnings.

Finish the round, I win, we watch the last round and go to the medal podium. I end up with bronze (which, is another thing, I don't like some of these formats. I never sparred the guy that got 2nd and pretty sure I could have easily taken him. My first round with the eventual gold medallist was a split but he ended up taking it but that happens).

As I'm walking away from the podium start chatting with people and everyone mentions my eye. I feel perfectly fine but say "It looks real red." So one of my friends takes a photo and shows me.

I now I have a nice subconjunctival hemorrhage on my right eye lol. No pain or vision issue whatsoever, I assume from the glove on the hit.

I'm actually kind of glad for him because he now has a story tomorrow when we train of how he lost the medal round fight to me but "take a look at the other guy!"

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 5, 2024