Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

God drat I guess I didn't bookmark this new thread so I've been absent for a month. Hello everyone. Life is going a lot better since I quit my volunteer position at the local amateur boxing association but I am still living the lard life.

Anyway here's what I came to post and had to find the thread again: Boxing Canada's head physician put together a presentation on weight cutting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rationale posted:

On an unrelated note, what are the risks of taking a fight while out of shape? I've trained regularly for about two years now, but I love beer and ice cream. Will I literally die?

RIP this goon

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bangkero posted:

No one ever saw Rocky working his cardio by sparring his way up those god drat steps.

Yep, running does not increase punching power, just another hollywood myth about boxing

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's depressingly common

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

where? how? I've seen my share of weird hero worship but this would be incredibly frowned upon anywhere I've trained

I'm only involved in amateur boxing not BJJ but the stories I've heard of coaches loving their (adult) female students..

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse
May 2, 2006

You don't know what anime is?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Omglosser posted:

Dammit that'she not why I came here. Ok so what are the striking pads called that you wrap around a support beam or pillar? I thought 'pole bag' was it but apparently that's just a really tall heavy bag? It's a tricky thing to google, or no such thing exists and you just have to improvise your own.

I dunno but I think this is what you're talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKcsbi1_iHQ

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lethal Weapon is one of my fav movies of all time

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ringside, rival, and green hill stretchy wraps have all worked for me and not disintegrated after 4 uses

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've been doing yoga recently and have been enjoying it. Getting a sweat on without getting punched in the face

mewse
May 2, 2006

Former boxer doing yoga problem: I keep trying to tuck my chin in warrior 2 pose

mewse
May 2, 2006

manyak posted:

tl;dr I was gaslit into thinking that the Austin Powers judo chop was real and spent a while thinking of physiological reasons why it probably isnt

It's real and you're immune to it because of your sensei who is from japan, you wouldn't know him

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jack Slack wrote an article about disarming someone with a knife

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ordered 3 prostate stimulators, hope they're the wrong size so I don't have to pay for them :getin:

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Darlok posted:

Eli got a real lovely deal though. His opponent came out throwing a flurry of not very clean looking punches and Eli got clipped by one, he fell to like a knee and started getting back up and the ref just stepped in and waved it off. The commission people apparently told the ref they were ok with restarting the fight but the ref wasn't having it and called it a KO.

Is this still amateur because if a guy got dropped like that I'd have no problem with the ref stopping it

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Darlok posted:

2) i'm gonna be fuckin great at typing only with my left hand soon.

I thought you'd be an expert already

e: oh poo poo that's gruesome

mewse fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 29, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

"accidentally"

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

For a cheaper approach, sign her up for FYAD.

Haha very fu-

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

[Talking into my fingers like a cell phone]

Yes?
[...]
Hello! I'd like my wife to master some sort of martial dicipline?
[...]
-to wield against her social anxiety.
[...]
Yes, I'll hold. Thank you.

Oh

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Thursday morning 196.6lbs at end of training camp and dieting
Thurs night: 192.4 after a dump, backing off water, and sipping peanut powder and banana chips
Fri morning: 191
Fri afternoon: 190 after sipping water
after 20min Epsom salt bath: 188.2
15min more of salt bath: 186.2.

Weighing in for 85kg, 187lbs. Cutting weight is brutal.

10lbs is no joke

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I legit don't see how you can take amateur fights without being on steroids if the USA scene is anything like the C league here in the UK. Everyone is on them, so the logic is that your opponent will be, so there's no harm in you being on them.

I boxed without being on steroids. You think everyone is on steroids because you're on steroids and you need to justify yourself in your own brain. You're not cheating, everyone is doing it.

Odddzy posted:

God you're insufferable.

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I don't compete?

Then don't say poo poo like "I don't see how someone could compete without being on steroids"!!! It is stupid as gently caress and you don't justify it when you clarify with "oh but I don't compete".

I've followed your posts for years so I know you're not a bad person, I believe you meant this as a badly phrased compliment, but I think you should never mention steroids here again.

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

You know what, that's fair.

Thank you for understanding. If it makes you feel better you have now been the recipient of a Strongly Worded Letter that Canadians constantly joke about but rarely write down.

mewse
May 2, 2006

No, MB. Not very involved with amateur boxing right now because I got burned out pretty bad with my board position. Watching the AIBA shake up right now, heard a rumour Pat Fiacco might end up as new pres of AIBA.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nope, need to figure something out. My coach closed his gym and I bought a monthly pass at the new club he's coaching at, and went once. Just bought a house and have spent the past month moving. Thinking of hanging a heavy bag out in the workshop.

Actually considering signing up for a newbie jits program run by a friend's club, 2x a week for August. I should get on that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I am Otis posted:

one guy is a massive 280 pound brown belt who loving footlocks everyone.

#LifeGoals

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Well, good news is I got a new job and my elbow's nearly recovered. So I was planning on getting back in the game. We're gonna start sparring soon I figure, so I was hoping to get some advice on how to calm my nerves on account of being a big ole' pussy all my life.

The nervousness can't really be avoided. It took me 3-4 months after getting my athlete registration to get in the ring for sparring, just because of nerves.

One thing that kinda works is channeling the nervousness into another emotion, this article describes a technique where you turn it into excitement ("proven effective in a variety of studies and settings") but I've also found I can turn it into anger.. which probably isn't healthy but helps me not to be nervous.

Then trust your coach. This kinda depends on having a good coach but mine eased me into sparring instead of throwing me to the wolves.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yuns posted:

Watch the greatest movie ever made: Roadhouse.

Willie was asking for practical advice on bouncing, not a recommendation for a documentary about the lives of bouncers

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone else had the facebook post from a friend that is like "my partner and I want to start a martial art, suggestions please!!" and you and a bunch of knowledgeable people say boxing or kickboxing for striking, BJJ for grappling and then the person does a followup post saying "we're looking at aikido or krav maga! thanks everybody!!"

:negative:

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I normally send them videos of Aikido kids getting beaten up, but Krav Maga isn't a bad choice is it?

It's a fad thing in the United States that has no governing body so it's like strip mall karate with a bunch of "too deadly to use in training" stuff

mewse
May 2, 2006

Novum posted:

The most deadly martial art is bombing people with a drone strike

:boom:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Obama

mewse
May 2, 2006

Juanito posted:

Something we did in class yesterday, I've tried to google, but I don't know what it's called. I'm sure people here know what it is.

I think it's just a warmup exercise. You do it with an opponent and are essentially mirroring each other's behavior.

So you are chest to chest, and you're forcing/slipping your hand under your opponent's arm on one side, while he's doing the same thing to you on the other side. And you keep going back and forth.

Pretty sure that's called pummeling

mewse
May 2, 2006

Novum posted:

Pummeling is how we warm up for sex

Arms in, elbows up, that's the way we like to gently caress

mewse
May 2, 2006

Juanito posted:

Last night during sparring, one guy got kicked hard in the nuts and was down for awhile. The instructor recommended we get groin protectors, I think only two in the class had them. Any recommendations/advice? I've never worn something like this, and have no clue what I need. It seems super uncomfortable, but less painful than a kick to the balls, I guess. Ideally I could get something that would be easy to put on, only when we were going to spar.

On an unrelated note, last night I felt a sudden, sharp cramp on my right calf. I stood still and grabbed it with my hand, and the muscle twitched back and forth for 5-6 seconds like a baby alien trying to break out of my body. It was cool.

Either get a normal everyday jock strap or get a full blown groin protector, there is no in between

mewse
May 2, 2006

Siivola posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVYl1kL9_jQ

I don't usually post bad videos because glass houses and all that, but :thunk:

They're reinventing boxing. Stance is slightly different but the parries are straight from boxing. The "line of power" crap is an explanation you give to newbies so that they don't throw arm punches, not some rediscovered technique from the 1870s.

Train your footwork so that you never cross your legs like this:

e: also the reason we throw punches with thumbs down is because it naturally raises the shoulder to protect the chin which is important regardless of gloves/bareknuckle

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

It's not a single incident. We all must be wary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38294358

Ban mopeds, done!

mewse
May 2, 2006

old.flv posted:

you asked how wing chun was and after being told it was terrible and what alternatives there were you're going to sign up for wing chun anyway

why even bother posting your question in this thread?

These type of people are new to their sport and would like to discuss it with fellow goons. They seek out the closest thread and post "hey I'm going to be starting at the mystical ninjitsu studio on saturday, any advice?" and the advice is entirely "DO NOT GO THERE. YOU ARE AN IDIOT." and they say "Well, the criticism wasn't constructive so I'll go check it out and see what it's like!!" I'd like to call it confirmation bias but I honestly don't know what's going on here.

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Best advice for concealing/diminishing a black eye? Held on to an arm bar during a scramble and posted with the side of my face.

Dark sunglasses and https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/tc/rest-ice-compression-and-elevation-rice-topic-overview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

No - double down and start more fights to prove how manly you are.

You can't get better at fighting without fighting, that's just a universal truth