Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Hey folks, if anyone's willing to give a little bit of life advice:

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had never considered taking a martial art. But I'm mid 30s, live by myself, out of shape and kinda eat like crap. No real responsibilities other than 'work' and 'don't die'. I'm content with life but as I get older, pain lasts longer and mild medical maladies make me feel more vulnerable, I want to get into something for the sake of discipling myself and getting into a beneficial routine, because I'm finding it hard to even do morning calisthenics for more than a few weeks. I'm terrible at this.

For that purpose, I've decided towards finding a dojo/temple(/kwoon?) as opposed to attempting to learn by myself, and there happens to be a nearby Wing Chun place. Reading up on it, I find it the art interesting but I don't really have an intention to get into any fights, and it seems pretty focused on combat. I don't have any basis or point of reference for it (No, I haven't seen the Ip Man movies).

I'm certain if I walk in and asked about health benefits, the temple would sell me on it, but I'd rather ask this topic as a more neutral setting: even if I'm not planning to get into any fights, is Wing Chun good for a schlubby beginner to take up? Ideally, me being engaged in WC and wanting to get better at it, purely as an art/discipline, would help me willingly maintain exercises/habits that'll benefit my body in general. That's the idea, but I'm wary that starting up with a more intense/direct art (as opposed to an 'internal martial art') might be a dumb move, so any input is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

"Is X suitable for a beginner" is always such a funny question to me. Like how do you think people become not-beginners

To address this and what the other person remarked on (planning to fight): I had just done a bit of reading on arts that I felt were interesting--priniples/objectives, etc, and a few things that were commonly sprinkled around various analyses and forums was that WC is very utilitarian and combat-centric, because of its short range and pressure. So it would make sense for someone who--for example--wants to compete and up their repertoire, ro someone who's already athletic and wants to try martial arts with their already-capable body.

I'm neither of those, so I wasn't sure if I should try anything easier!

But all of your responses are encouraging, and I'll definitely drop by after work today. Hoping it's a good place, because it's the only interesting locale within a half hour of me. :ohdear:

Thank you, folks! (And please continue if you do have more input/advice)

Morter fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 19, 2023

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I don’t want to ask revealing information if you’re not comfortable but does this school have a website we could look at? Sometimes you get a lot of info sometimes you don’t get any.

I mean, if you wanna! :shobon:

https://www.mengsmartialarts.com/

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Just came back from Meng's. Nice place, and I'm quite interested! This might be the wrong place to ask (and I'll edit it out if it is), but after observing on Tuesday, if I want, I can take an introductory 5 classes + uniform for $175. Does this seem like a fair price? I only ask because I have no real sense of reference/scale.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Did you get into regular monthly unlimited classes pricing? How many days a week do you think you'll be training?

I did see a 'returning students $195'. I'm certain that's per month but I'll definitely make sure. They wanted minimum 2 classes a week (each an hour) and I can do up to 3 a week, but based on scheduling I can only do 2/wk anyway.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Sorry it wasn't clear: Minimum 2 classes a week, so at least 2 hours. Plus, literally my schedule only allows for two classes (because their adult classes start as my shift ends except on one day, and I can take the other on my off day)

I don't know about the minimum contract, but i'll be sure to ask that too. I didn't do the haggling up front since the observation date's the better part of a week away.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So I'm going to observe a (Wing Chun) martial arts class/session tomorrow, and I honestly have nearly every intention of joining. I have taken notes on cautionary things with regards to membership, but what red flags should I look for when observing a class? I've never taken one before so I don't have a good barometer as to what might be poor form, negligent, etc. Or should I just see how I feel about it after watching, if I'm comfortable with it?

Morter fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 24, 2023

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Just finished my fourth class of WC. I'm loving it! I have a question, though I guess this may fall into general fitness advice?

As a class, we all warm up and stretch at the start, but once we're done for the day, we line up, get a debriefing, then change and go home. Myself, being essentially new to continuous/daily exercise, have been an achy and out-of-breath mess since starting Tuesday last week. One thing I'm aware of, but never really practiced, is cooldown/wind-down stretches/exercises. This may be part of why i'm extra out of breath/feeling slightly unfocused by the time the class ends.

They don't exactly shoo the class out of the room so I was wondering what would be recommended as ways to wind down and recollect myself, before changing and driving home? Especially for a beginner. I appreciate any input, thanks!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Yeah, that makes sense, and I have been working out a 30-60 minutes with some stretches, drills we learned, and VR games at my difficulty, mainly to try and build cardio/endurance.

That said, any recommended set of cool down stretches would be appreciated. For now I'm just googling stuff to try and remember to do after my next class.

For what it's worth, usually after we're dismissed, the instructor talks to some people about events, or goes over whatever a student is asking them about. Often, though, I'm in the latest class and people are often waiting to close up shop. I'm 99% certain they wouldn't shoo me out if I stayed an extra 5 minutes, but I'm certain that as a group there is no post-class cool down that I've caught anyone do, since I tend to stay a little extra so as to not miss anything.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So one concept about what I'm learning (Wing Chun) is about keeping light on your feet, so we bounce on our toes for a couple minutes at a time. It makes my shins ache if I do this for more than 30 seconds, whether in the school mat or at home on my semi-thick carpet. I can certainly walk for extended periods of time and even run a little without this pain happening at all, and it's not a high impact jump or hop. Edit for clarity: Nothing I do in my daily life generates this pain other than me hopping on my toes. Is there any reason for this other than me being overweight (5'8", 235 as of now)? Is there anything I can work on besides my gut to make this more tolerable?

Morter fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 3, 2023

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

CommonShore posted:

This is why boxers skip rope

Makes sense. So this is just a 'not used to it' pain as opposed to something more obvious/red flag-y?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Hell yeah. I've since signed up for Wing Chun for a half year (all I could afford at the time :negative: ) and every little bit of (sincere) encouragement helps. I'm clearly engaged and working with what I have but whenever I get an extra little acknowledgement for at least trying my damnedest it makes my day.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Interesting claim, one that I'm not sure is much contested

https://talonfootwear.com/why-tal%C3%B3n%3F

World's 1st Practical Self Defense Shoe!!!

There's something really funny about "Talón (Spanish for heel in english) "

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Any tips on conditioning forearms? I'm a weak softbody new to MA and I am working out a bit more and eating a little more consciously...

But doing the simple, white-belt level strike/parry drills hurt like hell, as I'm literally clashing forearms with people stronger/more toned than I am. I know I get stronger by continuing to do it, but they don't have that happen all the time, so I'd like to somehow keep doing it at home, short of just chopping at random things around the house.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Count Roland posted:

If you want to build muscle then any sort of lifting will help.

Mainly conditioning and whatever that I can do to reduce pain (or raise my tolerance of it), but those sound really good. I'll do those. Thank you.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

CommonShore posted:

It's possible to condition a little bit with a wood dowel or glass bottle. I just casually rubbed and tapped a wine bottle up and down my shins just hard enough to create a bit of sensation and mild soreness while watching tv a few times and it went a long way toward conditioning. Honestly though it's not even worth that little bit of effort. Just train and it will come.

This sounds like what I need to do. I say this because the direct contact/conditioning in class is infrequent for now, so I at least want to keep up some sort of routine for daily incremental strengthening, even if it's not much.

I appreciate it. :)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Speaking of tests...I got my yellow-white belt in Wing Chun today! I tested on Friday, and in class today, it was presented to me (and two others who went from yellow-white to yellow). I've never gotten a physical-related accolade ever in my life, so this is really nice, and I'm glad the hard work being put in is recognized, not just by being awarded the belt, but everyone in class who gave me lots of nice encouragement.

Part of me being there has to do with me checking in here, and the encouragement I got to continue, so thank you all. :buddy:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Grats!

I had to do a conditioning drill with Sifu last night, as the odd-man-out while the rest of the class paired up, so I really couldn't take it easy. Holy poo poo, I'm wrecked. But getting praised by a grandmaster is nice. :kiddo:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

EdsTeioh posted:

Rad! What's your style; Wing Chun?

Correct, I am studying the art of Wing Chun! The straight punch of that practice seems simple but doing ~300 those in a couple of minutes will murder you if you're unprepared. I wasn't prepared.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Is your forearm bruising doing better?

I am conditioning but every strike still is a day of more bruises! I'm dealing.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Nice to be told you're kicking axe rear end :hfive:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So I think I got my throat mildly bruised by an excited person doing a rear chokehold a bit too sincerely and even though I tapped immediately (because this wasn't the point of what we were learning), a sharp pain went through my neck and it hurts when I swallow. Yay!

I realize from a bit of reading that it's just a bruise but it feels exactly like a sore throat you get from throat-related sickness. My question is: how do you treat/lessen the pain of/accelerate the healing of a bruised/sore throat from combat? I work in phone-related customer support so I have lengthy phone conversations and I know this will suck to continue having, so I'd like to get over this as soon as possible.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Morter posted:

is Wing Chun good for a schlubby beginner to take up?

Just wanted to report that after 6 months of Wing Chun, mainly 3 hours a week, and some at-home training/exercise: I've earned my 3rd belt (Grade 3, where Grade 10 is black belt) I've lost ~30 pounds, gotten noticeably skinnier by everyone's account (and once snug clothes are BAGGY!), and I'm having a lot of fun learning techniques and doing them in class.

Because I work in an office job, I talk about it sometimes and it's now become a mild part of my identity (I'm the team 'jock' lmao) and it's a nice thing to share with others and demonstrate simple things.

Also, slight health issues I had (elevated liver enzymes) went away likely due to me actually doing activity and eating a little more consciously.

Wing Chun/Martial arts has been a marked improvement in my life and I'm happy i took the leap. Thank you for all who encouraged me. :shobon:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's the stuff right there! That's awesome! Have you made any new friends by doing it? I know that and health are like the two things that drive people to our gym, and it does both.

I'm not very social outside of work so I don't have anyone there I see outside of class, but i definitely have a nice rapport/attitude with plenty of people there--no one I have beef with. It's definitely a pleasant social experience for sure, and my seniors are always helpful when learning/partner-drilling.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

slidebite posted:

Yeah man. That's awesome! Losing weight does so much more than the obvious physical. Good for you :3:

Is that progression speed pretty typical or are you going full out?

I'd say typical. For belt progression I can only do a max of 3 classes a week anyway and I don't have too much energy. Some people do morning classes as well so they show up twice a day--and good for them! I probably would do 4 or 5 if it wasn't a hassle. So I'd say I'm doing typical progression. But still, it being my first physically-based endeavor (the last being Dance Dance in my teens), then i'm happy i'm making decent progress and that it's both showing and quantified. It is hard work and I'm proud of it.

But it wasn't so much to brag as much as it is to show that despite my hesitations and worry, it is very doable and rewarding to 'start from nothing' and get into martial arts. That's the takeaway. That, and the gratitude for this thread.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

One more update from me and my Wing Chun journey. I've earned my fourth belt (10 being Black belt) after passing an exam, and I'm now an intermediate student, where things will not only get more technical, as well as getting into official sparring classes.

I started in February at 242 lbs (5'8") and with 0 experience in fighting. I'm now under 200 pounds (Hovering ~196) and now i'm going to slug it out with others! Most fulfilling thing about this is how nice fellow students, new and old, were to me regarding the work I put into this, now that I've ascended in a significant way. It's very encouraging and rewarding to work and hone myself alongside others. In fact, when I took my test, someone who's in my grade, but is older and has experience in other arts (thus, I look up to) said I had powerful, 'WWE Style' takedowns when we tested our ground-based movements and leg-shoot takedowns for our belts. It surprises me how good people say I am at something, compared to how weak I think I am at something.

But now I have a collection of novice belts to hang up, so that counts for something. :sweatdrop:

Morter fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 4, 2023

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

10 Beers posted:

That's awesome, congrats! Also, I had no idea Wing Chun had ground techniques or takedowns.

I want to say that i in no way want to invite criticisms on or from specializations of any kind, but as someone who's learning this stuff, our Shaolin Wing Chun has applications and responses for almost any scenario--that is to say, general positioning regarding a 1v1 scrap, hence why it's sold as 'a complete system'. It's specialization is short range striking, but we as students are taught a little bit of everything that embody the concepts of our, for lack of a better term, philosophy. You probably won't see many WC people go for leg tackles, but any moderate student should have at least covered it, so we're not all 'uh, whaddo i do now!' about it.

At least, I say this as a <1yr student for a specific school, not as a rep of any kind. :kiddo:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So I'm having trouble with side kicks. That...horizontal split motion (for lack of a better term? Spreading your thighs outward) gives me a painful tweak if I do it too far, which is not very high--I can barely kick above belt level. Conversely, anything else i'm inflexible with, I just can't reach--straight or high front kicks I can do without a problem. I want to address this

Besides the stretches that I do before training or after exercises, I was also considering (even before the flexibility issue, honestly) to pick up Tai Chi because, from what I've understood about reading about it, it will help with balance and flexibility especially in the legs.

Does anyone have any experience practicing/learning Tai Chi to supplement what they were learning? Is it a good/bad idea? Should I wait for a certain amount of time or experience in what I'm doing before I consider a secondary art? What i'm studying now, Wing Chun, is the first art I'm ever picking up.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

When I started in February I didn't think I'd do more than just accomplish a 'physical activity quota' but I somehow earned the Rookie of the Year award from my Wing Chun school. :peanut:

Morter fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 10, 2023

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Looking for a freestanding heavy bag for striking at home. Are there any specific things to look for in terms of features or materials, or conversely, brands to watch out for/avoid? (Practicing Wing Chun, if it matters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If you’re doing Wing Chun, have you considered a wooden dummy with strike pads attached?

Admittedly not but the main reason I want a standing bag is to practice my kicks. The stuff you do against the dummy is more to practice your hand technique, and your short range (leg/knee-kicking), but I imagine I'd get a lot of use with a standing bag to do my round and thrusting kicks.