Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Murphy's always been an evil gently caress. Its just always been muddied a bit by his relationship with the crew and the other eviler fucks intent on using him to take over the world. Now he's just eliminated that dichotomy and decided to become the world conquering despot himself.

I thought the 10K reveal was weird because it seemed super obvious Murphy had turned him from the start. They dropped half a dozen hints but by the time he's taking shots at his friends instead of saying "Hey guys! I'm alive!" what other explanation could there be? Even if you didn't get it at him not being able to run away from Murphy or getting in the truck when Murphy tells him to, I can't imagine anyone was surprised when we saw the bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume it was just done that way so they could do the reveal at the end of the episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Hector woke up in like a weird after scene that came after the episode seemed to end. It was quick and easy to miss.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Didn't we already know that the zombie apocalypse was planned? That was the deal with that crazy doctor that ended up a head in a box. We got a flashback episode to him developing it and everything.

I think I instinctively mad the "Arizona" connection and then just never thought about it again even after it became obvious Zona wasn't in Arizona. I try not to think too much about this show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I liked Warren fine before this season but I find everything about her this season kind of ridiculous (in a bad way).

I'm also mildly annoyed that Murphy's Zona disease/canibalism/zombiesm ends up either getting cut off or made unnecessarily complicated with him getting bitten and re-blended or cured or whatever. And Lucy just kind of serving no purpose except to sacrifice herself to put the focus back on Murphy as a walking petri dish.

Or half the cast just being disappeared.

Basically I'm watching for Doc and 10K. And the new "Sarge" is ok.

But in fairness I've never loved this show like most of you. So I have less distance to fall and less good will stored up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought that was a pretty standard Z Nation episode. It took a silly concept and had the team sidetrack for a random reason to play with it for one episode. The main difference is that the Zuggalos almost had nothing to do with zombies so they just made an episode about Juggalos instead of Zombie Juggalos or something. Which seems to me like they had an idea and then just couldn't come up with an interesting way to expand on it.

I also just thing there's probably diminishing returns on that kind of trick. This kind of episode would have fit in more with the first couple of seasons but these last couple are getting so weird with their plotting that it kind of just makes an episode like this really stand out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For me the whole ______ zombie gag just feels like its hit diminishing returns and the plot is all kinds of incomprehensible and dumb (but it always kind of has been). But I was thinking about it and I think the biggest thing with Z Nation is it kind of feels like its lost its nerve. A lot of what made Z Nation stand out early on was how willing it was to deal with the high stakes and just kill off cast members. And I get that its way easier to kill off people in Season 1 when you introduce them knowing you're going to, but everyone now kind of feels like they have plot armor and episodes have no real purpose. Adult Lucy seemed to get introduced just to have an emotional death and that just didn't matter to me at all. In general it seems like characters get introduced now to die later because the main cast can't die. I love 10K but he probably should have died last season having been bitten by Murphy. And even characters like Addy and Citizen Z just disappear instead of getting killed off.

I don't know. I was just thinking about why the show is starting to feel like a chore to me and that's what I came up with. But really I'm probably just bored in the moment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I have the opposite opinion. The Citizen Z stuff felt like it had some small purpose and was going somewhere but the whole main plot just felt like another "Zombies in ______" thing which I think is kind of just worn out its fun. And "Zombies in a news studio" isn't exactly a compelling idea.

I think I might just be over the show. I'm mainly waiting to see if 10K finds his girlfriend. And make sure Doc keeps surviving, but he's going to outlive everyone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I'm not in hate watching or torture territory or anything. I'm just at that point where I'm not actually sure I'm enjoying the show and if its worth an hour a week anymore. Sometimes you just lose interest. We'll see. I'll probably finish out the season. Its gotta be near through.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was completely in between for me. More enjoyable than the last couple of episodes, but not much more than a way to kill 40 minutes while I was rearranging furniture.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's definitely not unwatchable. I think my take is that the gimmicks and gags of the show have worn thin while the plot, character work, and story is a mess. Obviously the first part is purely a subjective matter, though. Everyones got a different point where a joke stops being funny.

Specifically I think these last few "fun" episodes have been really mailed in and uninspired. It seems like they've worked out some general episode gimmick and then just kind of winged the rest of the episode. And none of the gag gimmicks have done a lot for me (which again, is purely subjective).

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 6, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Akumos posted:

I don't really understand what Warren did at the end honestly, or why the current President had her thumbs cut off if she was working with them.. or why that guy didn't just let Warren do her thing initially.

She thought she was replacing the flesh eating bacteria with some kind of cure but the creepy guy actually had the "cure" (which made Murphy red instead of the old blue cure) so she swapped half of her bacteria out for it? Or something? Why the creepy Zona guy was going for a cure or why Teller set Warren out against the Founder in the first place is a giant mystery/lazy plot hole?

I can never really figure if Z-Nation's plot is incomprehensible or if I'm just not paying enough attention because I assume it makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If they did I missed it.

The fact that they spent the first episode so focused on these characters disappearing and the question of "New Merica" and then never actually got around to addressing those things in the end really left a bad taste in my mouth about this season. I've never thought of Z Nation as a show where its writing or plot is a draw, but this season really felt sloppy as hell.

• Locked thread